PDA

View Full Version : Life of brake pads

Colapop
25th April 2007, 21:34
How long do brake pads last?
I need to change mine - not a problem. I've been advised that I should look at kevlar pads instead of cinder ones. What's the difference in;
Longevity,
Performance,
Cost...

and any other things I should know about brake pads...

Madness
25th April 2007, 21:39
and any other things I should know about pads...

The ones with the wings are best.

Colapop
25th April 2007, 21:42
obviously speaking from experience...

Paul in NZ
25th April 2007, 21:43
I need to change mine - not a problem. I've been advised that I should look at kevlar pads instead of cinder ones. What's the difference in;
Longevity,
Performance,
Cost...

and any other things I should know about pads...

Yes - no such things as cindered ones unless you set fire to yours,,, Sintered (sp) ones you knob....

ie 0nes with metal embedded in em... (I'm drunkish OK)

Once asbestos was banned they had limited choices so they bunged in all sorts of abrasive shit. Presumably kevlar ones won't wear out the disks so fast? Fucked if I know as I don't have anything made of anything so poofy as kevlar...

riffer
26th April 2007, 08:43
Okay, I'll wade in.

I'm using scintered pads in my RF900. Goldfren ones.

I've been told the Nissin calipers don't like them. And for some reason they make the bike shudder when used between 75-85 km/hr - but at no other speed. They never did that before I put them in.

Also they're bloody hard on the rotors. I'll be going back to kevlar next change.

imdying
26th April 2007, 09:17
Pad life is relative to usage. Use them hard and often, you'll root them in a track day. Some guys will do a mountain pass hardly ever touching the brakes, some fly into corners with the slipper clutch working over time. You see what I'm getting at. There's a lot to be said for factory pads, they're designed to work with the composition of metal your disc was made out of, I would at least price them up (that much is free!). A lot of the pads available in NZ are pretty average, the flash ones are expensive, OE is a good compromise (well duh).

Paul in NZ
26th April 2007, 09:34
Okay, I'll wade in.

I'm using scintered pads in my RF900. Goldfren ones.

I've been told the Nissin calipers don't like them. And for some reason they make the bike shudder when used between 75-85 km/hr - but at no other speed. They never did that before I put them in.

Also they're bloody hard on the rotors. I'll be going back to kevlar next change.

I doubt it's the pad material that affects the calipers unless it's soft ones that bung up the works with brake dust. However - whats important is having pads that match your disc material. Stainless, cast iron, chromed (yes - believe it or not) all come in different types and a harsh pad on a soft disc will wear the disc quickly...

The scintered / sintered (whatever) pads were part of the answer to getting disc equipped bikes to stop in the wet without the dreaded 'delay' along with slots grooves, holes and all manner of things like floating calipers, discs etc.

On old munters like me Guzzi - NOTHING floats and the discs are cast iron but since it's as slow as a wet week in Invercargill thats not a problem BUT scintered / sintered pads do make it stop a bit better.....

Blackbird
26th April 2007, 09:42
Pad life is relative to usage. Use them hard and often, you'll root them in a track day. Some guys will do a mountain pass hardly ever touching the brakes, some fly into corners with the slipper clutch working over time. You see what I'm getting at. There's a lot to be said for factory pads, they're designed to work with the composition of metal your disc was made out of, I would at least price them up (that much is free!). A lot of the pads available in NZ are pretty average, the flash ones are expensive, OE is a good compromise (well duh).

I'll second those wise words! There was a similar recent discusion on the UK Blackbird site and I was staggered to see the difference in distances achieved. Some people got as little as 12000 km and some better than 40000 km. I use "stock" SBS pads sourced from the Honda dealer. I changed my last set at 34000km and the current set look like they'll last a pretty much identical distance.

James Deuce
26th April 2007, 09:43
Well I'm using Metal Gear Kevlar pads that came with the new Metal Gear front discs and the pads are fucking horrible. They've taken 1200 kms to bed in and they still flutter from time to time which is probably what Riffer is noticing. When I first tried them they actually felt worse than the warped disk I replaced. Carefully setting up the disks to achieve minimum run out didn't change things much so I agreed to give it a bit of time to see if the problem "went" away. It has mostly.

I won't touch Kevlar (organic) pads ever again.

imdying
26th April 2007, 10:15
I won't touch Kevlar (organic) pads ever again.Considering the vast range of types and qualities of organic pads, if I were you I would just avoid that brand. They're perfect for many applications.

James Deuce
26th April 2007, 10:16
Scintered pads give better braking power and better wet weather performance. Organics are hopeless in the wet.

Cajun
26th April 2007, 10:24
i have played with few brands over the years, and i stick with ebc HH sinster pads, i have heard storys of them eating disks quick than other pads, but really if rather have something that i trust that i like that know stopps me fast and quickly with, and siafice a bit of disk life,
normally get 25,000kms out a set on the front.

Max Preload
29th April 2007, 13:53
Anyone used those 'Premier' pads that the dealers push? (I tend to avoid any products with names like 'super' and 'ultra' in them, and 'premier' qualifies in that respect).

Edbear
29th April 2007, 14:06
Being a cheapskate and easy on brakes, I was planning on replacing the GSX-F pads with stock, but I sold the bike and have a new bike now so shouldn't have to worry for a while.

Our Nissan Pulsar, bought new in March '99, has now done 140,000km and I have replaced the front pads once. Still original rears. I suppose I won't get the same out of the bike, but we'll see how she goes...

MSTRS
29th April 2007, 18:31
The only thing I know is they last for ages if you don't use them

Bonez
30th April 2007, 17:24
Just put a set of pads in the CX500 and I'll let you know how long they last once they're worn out. Could be a while.

It's got a single stainless a disk no holes/slots and is not floating. Had to tig some ali to the lever to get a decent bite before the lever touched the handle bar. The sigle pot calipers float though. The pads had and I quote "Made in either England or the US of A" but I suspect they come from a far bigger continent...............

Grahameeboy
30th April 2007, 17:27
The only thing I know is they last for ages if you don't use them

You talking brake pads aren't ya!!

Squiggles
1st May 2007, 20:50
Just put a set of pads in the CX500 and I'll let you know how long they last once they're worn out. Could be a while.

will be a very long time, im replacing my old mans set, im pretty sure its the second time they'll have been replaced, bike has done 80,000

im hard on my breaks, only got 10,000 out of the last set, but same with the chain...

Colapop
1st May 2007, 20:55
I like Boyles (Kawasaki) - the guys in there are top blokes. I went in to get a tyre swapped ($10!!) and while I was there I asked about brake pads. I had an interesting half hour discussion about them which I found fascinating - I know, go figure??? I'll probably go with the partially sintered ones... they seem to be the ones I'd like... Of course I won't know til I've tried several kinds I suppose... They seem to suit my purpose...

riffer
1st May 2007, 21:53
Now Col - you're not going to PAY someone to do them are you, after I've shown you what to do? :mellow:

Colapop
1st May 2007, 21:57
O hell no!! I already took them apart and got them back together... I'll do it again too!

Got some other forks to work on... and a cam chain... and a fuel tank... you can come have a look one day...

FROSTY
3rd May 2007, 20:47
Im running ferrodo pads in the RF---good bite no shudder and work good in the wet

Colapop
3rd May 2007, 20:55
I'll have a yarn to you about them in Taupo.

In the mean time see my PM or text!

megageoff76
27th May 2007, 21:03
Anyone used those 'Premier' pads that the dealers push? (I tend to avoid any products with names like 'super' and 'ultra' in them, and 'premier' qualifies in that respect).

I chucked some sintered Premieres in last time which cost me about 140 bucks for both sides. Now, Im no demon braker or anything, but they only lasted less than 5000kms for just general commuting.. i was pissed.

Ive got some non sintereds in now, they feel about the same, but i;ll just have to see how they go.

Colapop
27th May 2007, 21:27
I'm thinking partially sintered

riffer
27th May 2007, 21:58
I'm running sintered pads in my RF at the moment.

Absolutely brilliant over 200, crap below 100.

Okay in between.

Maybe partially sintered may be the go next time.

eviltwin
27th May 2007, 22:14
i use ferrodo sintered pads on the zx10, they are bloody good in all weather, much better than organic pads.

Max Preload
27th May 2007, 22:29
I chucked some sintered Premieres in last time which cost me about 140 bucks for both sides. Now, Im no demon braker or anything, but they only lasted less than 5000kms for just general commuting.. i was pissed.

Ive got some non sintereds in now, they feel about the same, but i;ll just have to see how they go.

I got a set for the front... not impressed - lots of dust with little in the way of braking. I don't think they'll last either. Makes me wonder if they have anything going for them lol

Panther
27th May 2007, 22:45
Longevity,
Performance,
Cost...

and any other things I should know about brake pads...

is this for you RF?
what are you fucking rossi?
whats wrong with normal ones?

Colapop
28th May 2007, 08:11
Yes I am fucking Rossi! (He's a little tight butt!)

No dorkette, the RF is a big heavy bike and I was just asking the question... I don't claim to know everything... nearly everything but not quite... :innocent:

I'll see you at lunch!!

Panther
28th May 2007, 10:46
yes....lunch

imdying
28th May 2007, 11:48
A friend on a ZXR750 need some a few months ago. Being a good mate, I stripped and reconditioned his calipers, and handled refitting and bleeding myself, so I'm sure his braking system was as efficient as possible. I was shocked to find out later that the new pads he put in were destroyed in less than 3000kms. I'm still trying to find out what brand they were... they weren't exceptional performers, or anything self sacrificial like that... they were just utter rubbish. If he's able to find out what they were, I'll post back.

Kickaha
28th May 2007, 13:50

I've used Premier and was very unimpressed, now I only use Ferodo

Cajun
28th May 2007, 14:00
I've used Premier and was very unimpressed, now I only use Ferodo

Yeah i didn't like Premier either

I stick use ebc mostly now

Panther
28th May 2007, 14:01
I take my bike to Chris Mitchel Motorcycles in Taupo, he is the man to see, and so helpful, always has time for bikers. Or alternatively i give him a call on 073772555. You can just ring him up and say, Hi Chris, I'm not sure what brake pads to put on, and he will ba able to give you professional experienced advice.

I'm not being silly, one time i was unsure of what tyres i should be running on my little bike, my mate said, ring Chris Mitchell. Sure enough i did and got nothing but great service. He got on the phone with dunlop and gave me a great recomendation. All it takes is a phone call.

GSVR
28th May 2007, 14:50
Anyone ever noticed how one type wears discs out really fast and another type doesn't. I think I'd be buying the ones that don't eat discs as these things are quite expensive. Problem is you can't get this type for older bikes but most new bikes come out with them as standard.

codgyoleracer
28th May 2007, 15:06
The metalurgy of the stock pads is the most likely to be correct for your disc, Generally speaking any noticable increase in stopping power means more friction & heat is generated & you always run the risk of sending the disc temp & carrier temp beyond that of the manufacturers design guidelines. If this happens you get disc wear, warpage or glazing oe all of these at once.
At road speeds this is unlikely top occut though, race use will be the true test. Life is also usually directly related to friction/wear/heat (but not always - as some pads absorb less heat than others & put more energy into the disc). Note check if the stockers run heat guards on their backs & keep these in place for any aftermarket type chosen.

Deano
28th May 2007, 15:32
18,000kms and my front pads are due for replacing.

I'll be going for sintered metal cause they stop you faster......and as for disc life......I'll be trading it in before the rotors wear away so no problemo.

megageoff76
28th May 2007, 16:09
Yeah i didn't like Premier either

I stick use ebc mostly now

I was told by my local Suzuki dealer when i bought them that the Premieres were made by EBC...

Cajun
28th May 2007, 16:14
i heard simlar thing, not to sure if correct but could be made by them, but under someone else design, or to sell a 'cheaper' make and not ruin your name?

limbimtimwim
28th May 2007, 16:52
I'll be going for sintered metal cause they stop you faster......and as for disc life......I'll be trading it in before the rotors wear away so no problemo.Mine ran out at around 18K as well. I replaced them with sintered metal and they were about the same as the original equipment that Suzuki had fitted in terms of performance. But with extra added hiss during usage, the OE pads didn't do that. Not measuring disc wear.

But I was thinking that if I had not gone for the metallic pads, the performance would have gone down, and I'd have been annoyed.

Max Preload
3rd January 2008, 11:33
I got a set for the front... not impressed - lots of dust with little in the way of braking. I don't think they'll last either. Makes me wonder if they have anything going for them lol

My Premier fronts are now finished. I was looking at the rear yesterday (also finished) and thought I'd check the fronts. I don't think I've ever had such short life from pads. However the lack of braking might well have been unrelated to the pads themselves - I completely stripped & cleaned the front calipers after seeing extremely uneven wear between the 2 sides (I'll post pics later) and on reassembly & bleeding there's a much better (firmer) feel at the lever with little travel to engage the brake.

I'll get a couple of caliper rebuild kits - the dust seals were looking quite tired.

I was told by my local Suzuki dealer when i bought them that the Premieres were made by EBC...

I've just been told this by Red Baron, but I can't find anything on the net to back up that claim. That said, 'Arvin Meritor' shocks (for cars - available from Autostop) are in fact 'Gabriel', and are much cheaper. Go figure.

Max Preload
21st September 2008, 23:10
Me again...

Ended up replacing the last set with another set of those Premier pads and they're gone again. Replaced the rear the day before the Cold Kiwi and doing the fronts this week, time permitting. This time I've gone Ferodo HH ('Sintergrip') (http://www.federal-mogul.com/en/AftermarketSolutions/EMEA/BrakingSolutions/Products/BrakePads-Shoes/FerodoMotorcycleBrakePads/Ferodo+SinterGrip+Road+Brake+Pads/) since Cycletreads (http://www.cycletreads.co.nz) were doing a 3 for the price of 2 deal (effectively buy the 2x fronts and get the rears for free).

It'll be interesting to see how long they last.