PDA

View Full Version : Fuel consumption

HungusMaximist
25th April 2007, 23:52
I've recently got myself a 91 GSX750F and the only thing that bothers me is the thirsty fuel consumption of the ol girl.

I tend to do about 165kms before I need to switch on reserve and that's usually about the time I fill her up. It costs me usually between $18-$22 for a fill.

Is that fuel consumption mark usual for a 750? Or do I need to investigate the cause and clean her out?

Edbear
26th April 2007, 07:23
I've recently got myself a 91 GSX750F and the only thing that bothers me is the thirsty fuel consumption of the ol girl.

I tend to do about 165kms before I need to switch on reserve and that's usually about the time I fill her up. It costs me usually between $18-$22 for a fill.

Is that fuel consumption mark usual for a 750? Or do I need to investigate the cause and clean her out?

In the best traditions of diagnostics, it all depends...!

It does seem a bit heavy, but then how are you riding the bike? My '89 GSX-F600 was fairly economical if I kept the revs and speed down around the legal limit, but if I got it up over the 7k mark and rode it in a "spirited fashion",:innocent: I could watch the fuel guage drop at an alarming rate!
:gob:

If the bikes runs sweet and smooth with good power, about all you can do is replace plugs and air filter and service it. Check valve clearances and find someone who can balance carbs. (Classic_Z is good).

NighthawkNZ
26th April 2007, 07:32
It does seem a bit heavy, but then how are you riding the bike? My '89 GSX-F600 was fairly economical if I kept the revs and speed down around the legal limit, but if I got it up over the 7k mark and rode it in a "spirited fashion",:innocent: I could watch the fuel guage drop at an alarming rate!

same... as the VTR, I get around 250km a tank if I ride economically, lowish revs and speeds etc, but if I play :innocent: then that drops considably to maybe 190-200 kms, tho 165km does seem a bit low...

you must be riding hard and fast and at high revs all the time

Grahameeboy
26th April 2007, 07:42
I get about 250kms a tank with pipes, TRE and K&N

If I go on a group ride this may drop to 230kms.

Grub
26th April 2007, 08:54
I don't know your bike so some details would help like tank size.

The Octane you use is important too. I have kept a record of every fill since I've owned the bike and can now confirm that there is about 1km/litre difference between 95 & 98. So if you're running 91 and it's not delivering the power you need, you'll use more of it.

Stats for the CBR600 are
- 95 Octane = 20.69 km/L
- 98 Octane = 21.34 Km/L

Overall consumption since November is 4.82 L/100K = 20.85 Km/L or 58.90 mpg

Main tank (13.25litre) goes onto reserve at 275.2km. Reserve (2.25 L) will last 76kms - all dry at 352kms

HungusMaximist
26th April 2007, 13:30
I haven't exactly figured out what's the fuel consumption per litre, I've been using 91 for the past 2 weeks and I usually switch between 91 and 95 on a weekly basis.

I am usually riding around the city and barely go above 5 thousand revs. I'll take in consideration with valve checks and that sort of stuff. I'll get back to you guys with how big my tank is but when I fill it up it usually takes about 13L as I don't drain the tank completely but it's about 170 km when I have to switch to reserve.

I am not so sure if this makes a difference but the bike has just clocked over 90K, and the engine has been pretty well looked after.

And btw whose Classic Z ?

Thanks.

HungusMaximist
28th April 2007, 15:37
Well I had a chat with few people and from the consensus it could cost from $300 to have a looked at properly by a local bike techie from anywhere up to $1000 at a big big shop Colemans Suzuki.

One of the mechanics at colemans mentioned that you'll be wasting your money trying to improve the fuel consumption on the 91 GSXF as the bike is too old.

I might have it checked out by this local Laurie Henley, at Panmure Motorcycles.

To be perfectly honest, I don't really know the guy 'Laurie' or his work, do you guys recommend any guys here in Auckland, or maybe even on KB who can help me out here?

Another question, any of you guys use fuel additives, stuff you put in cars like octane booster, fuel injector cleaner that sort of stuff.

Edbear
28th April 2007, 15:51
I haven't exactly figured out what's the fuel consumption per litre, I've been using 91 for the past 2 weeks and I usually switch between 91 and 95 on a weekly basis.

I am usually riding around the city and barely go above 5 thousand revs. I'll take in consideration with valve checks and that sort of stuff. I'll get back to you guys with how big my tank is but when I fill it up it usually takes about 13L as I don't drain the tank completely but it's about 170 km when I have to switch to reserve.

I am not so sure if this makes a difference but the bike has just clocked over 90K, and the engine has been pretty well looked after.

And btw whose Classic Z ?

Thanks.

Classic_Z is Tim, owns a garage in Whangaparaoa, 09-424 0477. He's a KB'r and rides a Z1300 Kawasaki.

I suggest you do an actual mileage check over three tankfull's. You may find you're getting more than you realise. I don't agree with the comments about the bike being too old to worry about its state of tune!

90k isn't too much for these motors and as I said, it may just need a tune up. Mine ran better on 91 as it was tuned for it and didn't like 95+ at all.