PDA

View Full Version : what do you think? (PGO)

razza
31st August 2004, 20:37
i have a chance to buy a 1998 PGO hot 50 (scooter) and i want to know what you guys think, good choice? bad choice? and if someone could give me the specs on these that would be cool, like top speed,acceleration,weight, etc. any coments appretiated

also i have a chance at getting a suzuki sepia what do you think bout them ?

:cool2: :niceone:

jrandom
31st August 2004, 20:40
Hello, razza, welcome to the forum.

Are you sure you want a 50cc scooter, and not a Proper Motorcycle? I assume you're considering it because you can ride it on your car driver's license.

You should realise, of course, that you will be ostracised and unloved on KB until you get your 6L.

razza
31st August 2004, 20:45
basicly its my only choice see im only 15 :mellow: and on my learner's i have a car but want to give this a go, so if any one can help me choose that will be cool

jrandom
31st August 2004, 20:51
basicly its my only choice see im only 15 :mellow: and on my learner's i have a car but want to give this a go, so if any one can help me choose that will be cool

You can go get a bike learner license and ride a motorcycle with an engine displacement up to 250cc, you know.

You should.

razza
31st August 2004, 20:53
You can go get a bike learner license and ride up to a 250cc motorcycle, you know.

You should.

a 250cc :crazy: im not that crazy, i would probly kill my self on it plus i dont have that much money

badlieutenant
31st August 2004, 20:57
a 250cc :crazy: im not that crazy, i would probly kill my self on it plus i dont have that much money
possibly a wise one here :devil2: I remember saying that

Motu
31st August 2004, 21:03
It's got my vote - this is off the PGO web site (bet nobody else has bothered to look them up eh?)

razza
31st August 2004, 21:26
thanks for the pic but im not looking to go off road lol (and i have looked them up if that comment was for me)

Mr Skid
31st August 2004, 21:50
a 250cc :crazy: im not that crazy, i would probly kill my self on it

Falling off a 50cc scoot at 60 km/h and falling off a 250cc bike at 60 km/h will hurt just as much, the difference is it will take less time to get to 60 km/h on a 250cc bike.

It's easy to get a m/c learners licence, having one would allow you can ride anything up to 250cc, and that includes some nice scoots.

Then you could smoke all the 50cc scooters at the traffic light grand prix.

Motu
31st August 2004, 22:00
thanks for the pic but im not looking to go off road lol (and i have looked them up if that comment was for me)

The comment was for others who want to demean your choice of a ride,the fact that someone has taken the Hot 50 off road racing would lead one to think it might be a rugged piece of work,scooters are not usualy that great off road.Get what you need and want - don't let others talk you into a bike beyond your abilties,these guys all want to put you on a 250cc pocket rocket,tell you a scooter will kill you.....I don't think anymore death cetificates have been written out for scooter riders than 250 sports bikes.

dhunt
31st August 2004, 22:06
It's also worth getting your motorbike license if in the future you would like to get a bigger bike/scooter (>250cc) (ie you don't have to wait).

Also one of my mates had a scooter and was happy with that until he had a go on the back of my bike. Then he promptly sold the scooter and bought a bike. What do you plan to do with your bike/scooter? Bikes are much more enjoyeable to ride but if you are just commutting within town a scooter will probably be sufficent and much cheaper to run.

David

texmo
31st August 2004, 23:12
[QUOTE=paparazzi]Falling off a 50cc scoot at 60 km/h and falling off a 250cc bike at 60 km/h will hurt just as much, the difference is it will take less time to get to 60 km/h on a 250cc bike. [QUOTE]

The problem there being they dont go 60 km/h.

Posh Tourer :P
1st September 2004, 00:51
Rubbish texmo... it'll do 60. Unless you weigh well above average...

50cc scooters are cheap to buy and run, and effective commuters. Prepare to be very defensive on the road, nobody will give you any room. Apart from that, go for it :D... How much is the PGO going to cost?
Scooters would be a good way to avoid the overpriced 250cc road bike market, especially if you ended up riding something like a SJ125T.

I like PGOs. They look not bad and they dont have stupid names like "Yamaha Tasty Runner". I havent the faintest idea how well they go mechanically though.....

OTOH, I got my first bike at age 16 - a 250cc 2-stroke - MZ ETZ 250 from 1987. It cost me $600, plus $300 to get it registered. I had to put air in tyres and change the fuel/charge battery. Cost me about $1000 to get on the road on a docile 250. There are heaps of choices in terms of bikes that arent too powerful (5hp for a PGO compared with 12.5 or so for a Suzuki GN125 - I think the MZ was about 18, and the Honda CB125T 16hp. All those bikes arent powerful, they are pushing lots more weight, maybe 130kgs rather than whatever a scooter weighs. All of them have a top speed of about 120, similar to a 100/150cc scooter). Of course it does mean that you would have to get a motorcycle learners.

I'd say it would be a good way to start with minimal money.

Remember though that if you fall off at 60kmh, jeans arent gonna protect you, unless they are draggin jeans (maybe), and you ought to have a good jacket. The number of scooter riders who dont wear any protective gear is scary. If nothing else, at least buy gloves, hands are very useful things to be able to use, and you wont be able to if you hit the road without gloves....

Scooters have storage space for gear anyway, so why not use it?

Warren
1st September 2004, 00:56
it had a top speed of about 70kph and had good accleration. It easily keeped up with traffic.

Warren
1st September 2004, 01:02
There is the book for the LTSA M/cycle licence test
"You and your Motorcycle" sort of like the road code for motorcycles, you should find a copy at your local library. I suggest you read it as it has a lot of advice for motorcyclists.

texmo
1st September 2004, 08:04
Rubbish texmo... it'll do 60. Unless you weigh well above average...

Sorry im just comparing it to my 50cc yamaha jog thats about 23 years old that can almost do 45down a hill :P

Posh Tourer :P
1st September 2004, 13:49
Sorry im just comparing it to my 50cc yamaha jog thats about 23 years old that can almost do 45down a hill :P

Now there's the problem. You are only riding a jog... You need to get an upgrade to the Yamaha Tasty Runner for more speed

Alternatively you could just nick the name plates/stickers off a Gilera Sprint (I think thats what they are called)

texmo
1st September 2004, 16:31
I think it would look much better as a BM-X then I could feel asthough im going along at quite a good pace for a push bike.........

razza
1st September 2004, 18:38
ok thanks guys for your advice and comments, i think ill get it.
its gona cost $900 but ill push him down to $700 lol,
the reason im not getting a big bike is i only want something for round town.

texmo
1st September 2004, 18:44
Then get a old school motor bike thats around 100cc's that way you will get used to using a clutch and if you ever decide to get something more powerfull you'll be used to manul.
But if you dont intend on getting a bigger bike later than a 50cc :scooter: is the way to go

MikeL
1st September 2004, 19:08
My first bike was a 50cc step-thru and it was lotsa fun. I suppose I could have killed myself if I'd really tried but it had a top speed of about 65 and most of the time it was struggling either up one of Wellington's hills or in the teeth of a Wellington gale.
But it was a good way to learn. Especially as I was an impoverished student and couldn't afford ANY repairs - when a gentle Wellington breeze blew the bike over outside varsity I then rode around for three months with half a brake lever coz I couldn't afford to buy a new one... Small bikes and scooters are cheap to run, reliable and easy to pick up when they fall over.
Go for it.