PDA

View Full Version : Freehand MX - Measuring between two points?

FlangMasterJ
27th April 2007, 12:39
Where the fuck is the ruler tool?:shutup:

I'm trying to measure diagonally between two points but I can't find the ruler tool!

Anyone have a clue?

riffer
27th April 2007, 13:20
Two ways you can do this.

First way is measure the locations of the two points.

See in the first two pics how I've selected the points and the locations are shown in the Object inspector. This however is only good for locations on a 0 and 90° planes.

For distances between two points, see the third pic. Use the pen tool. Click on the first point, and as you move the mouse it draws a line. Move the pen tool over to the other point (if you use keyline view its easier) and the information up in the info palette (I've highlighted it) shows the distance between the two points and the angle of the line.

FlangMasterJ
27th April 2007, 13:50
Cheers riffer but when I click on the point with the pen tool it deletes that point. Also that measurement you see in the location square is only the x axis not the length of the line.

Matt Bleck
27th April 2007, 14:24
theres a thing called on screen caillipers but farked if i can find it....

The easy way would be to use the pen tool to make a line long the path you want to measure then rotate it so it's either vertical or horizontal then you can get the measurement from the rulers on the page.

FlangMasterJ
27th April 2007, 14:28
theres a thing called on screen caillipers but farked if i can find it....

The easy way would be to use the pen tool to make a line long the path you want to measure then rotate it so it's either vertical or horizontal then you can get the measurement from the rulers on the page.

Cheers guys, I'm just gonna rotate the whole object so the points lay on a horizontal axis then measue with the page rulers.

If anyone finds the ruler tool let me know.

riffer
27th April 2007, 14:41
Okay, tried another way. Using the line tool, it will show you the distance along the line as well as the angle.

Much better than the pen tool.

But there's still no bloody rule tool.

Use Illustrator CS2 instead buddy. Freehand Mx sucks under Tiger.

Matt Bleck
27th April 2007, 19:44
I'm with Riffer on that one.... the thing I like the most is that it tie's in with PS perfectley. You have a linked PSD file in Illustartor and if you make any changes it's promt's you as soon as you flick back into the application. Adobe with Adobe rather than Adobe with Macromedia. :niceone:

riffer
27th April 2007, 19:46
Smart Objects rule!!!!!

by the way, as of today, I'm unemployed.

Let me know if you need any help guys.