PDA

View Full Version : Those bloody forks again!

Antallica
31st August 2004, 21:44
Well, put the Fixxer into Shaws on Thursday ans this is what's happened so far.

They had fork seals for the KR150 not my Fixxer :(, so I had to wait till Monday. They rang on Monday saying it was all fixed, but they reckon the forks might be bent etc. and they don't think the left inner fork will last long, as it has some piddley nicks in it and might burst the seal.

Anyways, picked up the bike this afternoon and proceeded to ride it home. The forks feel like they are filled with sand, as they just won't budge (you can imagine the ride home and me wondering why I'm bumping all over the place).

It took me 5 tries to get even a little movement in the suspension. Rang the mech and he reckoned it was sweet the day before, so I have to take it back tomorrow. Sure as hell 'aint paying for more work. Somebody fucked up that's for sure.

ARSE!

So what do you guys reckon?

geoffm
31st August 2004, 22:04
Well, put the Fixxer into Shaws on Thursday ans this is what's happened so far.

They had fork seals for the KR150 not my Fixxer :(, so I had to wait till Monday. They rang on Monday saying it was all fixed, but they reckon the forks might be bent etc. and they don't think the left inner fork will last long, as it has some piddley nicks in it and might burst the seal.

Anyways, picked up the bike this afternoon and proceeded to ride it home. The forks feel like they are filled with sand, as they just won't budge (you can imagine the ride home and me wondering why I'm bumping all over the place).

It took me 5 tries to get even a little movement in the suspension. Rang the mech and he reckoned it was sweet the day before, so I have to take it back tomorrow. Sure as hell 'aint paying for more work. Somebody fucked up that's for sure.

ARSE!

EIther something is seriously sticking, or they put to much oil in it. Either way, it was careless not to have picked it up before it went out the door.
Geoff

Gixxer 4 ever
31st August 2004, 23:43

Too much oil. A small bend in the forks is fine. If people were never told about the bend most would not notice it. Note I said small.

Antallica
6th September 2004, 09:11
Well the mech looked at the bike again and rang a few places to check the oil. Seems it has the right amount in there. He reckons it's all to do with this 'small bend' in the forks. So basically I was told to piss off keep paying my $126 bill, and the stiffness in the suspension 'may' go away with use.

Wonder if he used the right seals after all, it's seriously stiff.

Man I wish I had taken it to Colemans now.

riffer
6th September 2004, 09:39
Well the mech looked at the bike again and rang a few places to check the oil. Seems it has the right amount in there. He reckons it's all to do with this 'small bend' in the forks. So basically I was told to piss off keep paying my $126 bill, and the stiffness in the suspension 'may' go away with use.

Wonder if he used the right seals after all, it's seriously stiff.

Man I wish I had taken it to Colemans now.
I seriously doubt its the seals. Either the seals work or they don't.

Are both forks "bent"? If only one, take them both off and check to see if one is more stiffer than the other.

I'm putting my money on too high a fork oil weight if the correct amount of oil was used.

Motu
6th September 2004, 10:01
Your forks may be slightly bent - when they were removed to replace the seals they were put back in a different place,so are not in line anymore.To check,remove the front wheel and see if the lower legs spring apart or together - rotate the top tubes until they line up,but make both legs the same or you will crab.You could also set them up to shorten or lengthen the wheelbase,increase or decrease the trail,longer wheelbase shorter trial - aren't you lucky!

Actualy I don't think I've ever added the correct amount of oil and had it actualy be the correct amount - if you have valves in the top,take them out and pump the forks,if there is too much oil it will pump out.

Antallica
27th October 2004, 17:28
Just a little update.

Since I've noticed the front disc heating up to buggery & having had my suspension shit for some time, I've decided to quickly snap up the pair of un-bent FXR forks at Buckets 'n Bits for $150.
I'm not sure how I will get them switched at this stage, guess I'll leave that for Mark at Shaws to figure out.

curious george
27th October 2004, 19:15
Duuuuuude.... bring 'em down, and I'll have them done in under an hour...or so.
Bring some fresh oil and courier the forks down before you ride down.
Piece of cake.

Antallica
27th October 2004, 19:29
Sounds good, but then again I'm not too keen on the trip since my disc heats up fairly quickly.

Either way, my next 2 days off are weekend after this coming one :(

pipeman
27th October 2004, 19:44
Looks like everybody should stear clear of SHAWS then doesn't it. :Pokey:
Thats got to piss you off I feel for you bro, TOO many sharks out there :bash:

Antallica
27th October 2004, 19:55
Well apparently Shaws are very good & I don't have any real issues with them. However I didn't feel like they treated me very well, I felt very looked down upon all the time. Not a good feeling for the customer. Good mechanic, not so good atmosphere for customer.

Oh well, there's only Planet Honda left to try now. Will try them next time I'm in a pickle.

Bleck K6
27th October 2004, 20:42
Just a little update.

Since I've noticed the front disc heating up to buggery & having had my suspension shit for some time, I've decided to quickly snap up the pair of un-bent FXR forks at Buckets 'n Bits for $150.
I'm not sure how I will get them switched at this stage, guess I'll leave that for Mark at Shaws to figure out.
Hey mate, I'll give ya a hand to change them over.

Antallica
27th October 2004, 20:59
Sounds like a plan, as long as you know what you're doing ;)

Also it's the left Stauntion that needed replacing if that means anything more (just remembered the specific word).

k14
27th October 2004, 21:17
I think the stantion is the main bit of the fork, the bottom bit on a normal set of forks.

It will be sweet as to change the forks over, shouldn't take more than a few hours. You shouldn't have too many hassles. You might need a new disc if the current one is warped.

Bleck K6
27th October 2004, 21:29
Sounds like a plan, as long as you know what you're doing ;)

Also it's the left Stauntion that needed replacing if that means anything more (just remembered the specific word).
Yeah done a bit of work on bikes,especially when I was livin at DEATH.INCs place.

Antallica
27th October 2004, 21:35
Sweet, I might just give you a bell in the coming week.

Antallica
1st November 2004, 15:48
Forks arrived today! :D

Lookin good apart from the big scrapes along the outer paint job. Found this funny though, the left fork needs a seal replacement. This is the 3rd FXR set that I've seen with the left needing seals done (never seen the right). Anyone know why this might be?

I've got this coming weekend off, hopefully I might be able to have them looked at before then.

Things be picking up finally :)