PDA

View Full Version : To ride, or not to ride...

Donor
28th April 2007, 00:32
Alrighty, I got a phone call from my brother this morning, telling me that my services are required to be crew chief for his race car the weekend of 4/5/6 May.

Problem is, I have me 6R test on the 4th, so I'd have to sit that then head off to the track straight afterwards.

This is at Manfield.

So, do I ride, or do I cage?

I've had a FEW long rides, but never solo to this degree, but would like to see if I am up to the it. However, the lazy bastard in me says I should play it safe and cage it.

So, thoughts/opinions here folks, I have had my 6L for 6 months, I have been riding for 6 months, and have travelled uneventfully for several thousand kilometres...

For those that were once as green as me - how bad/good is the ride from South Auckland to Palmy?

(Anyone fancy coming down?? Can't do anything to help with accommodation, but there may be a nutter out there looking for a greenie to babysit...)

Thoughts and opinions, tips/hints appreciated!

Whynot
28th April 2007, 00:38
ride :scooter:

long trips are a good way to learn, just take frequent stops to avoid aches/getting tired.

Ixion
28th April 2007, 00:52
What an absurd question. You see what has happened, now that you have abandoned the so-excellent two smoker. Deprived of the beneficial smoke, your brain has started to rot.

Why would anyone with an unrotted brain choose , voluntarily, to cage? Caging is something that must sometimes , reluctantly, be undertaken, when large objects, wives etc must be transported.

In the absence of such necessity, the question is akin to such as "Should I have a speights ? : or: cut off my dick with a blunt sea shell, and pickle it in aspic?" Do you really need a poll to tell you the right, indeed, the only answer?

If you are concerned at the length of the journay, ask Mr Joe if you can borrow back Daisy for the trip. Under the balmy and soothing effect of the smoke, you will not even notice the journey. In fact, it will appear to you that you have arrived before you set out.

yod
28th April 2007, 00:53
it's 550km to palmy, a little less to feilding so with stops you probably looking at 6+ hours (depends on your riding style)
if you're on the main road it's pretty easy riding, the good thing about doing a longer haul like that is you can get into a real groove - it's all experience in the end
i'd make a stop in tokoroa and then again in turangi perhaps? (or even more often)
i'd definitely check the forecast tho...the odd shower is no worries but you dont wanna be doing the vast majority of it in the pissing rain...

Kwaka14
28th April 2007, 00:58
It's a big trip if you've only been riding for 6 months, but defiitely doable... I've done it a few times and pit crewed for a TQ at speedway with no issues and it's all easy the whole way.... only you can answer that really...

Donor
28th April 2007, 01:00
What an absurd question. You see what has happened, now that you have abandoned the so-excellent two smoker. Deprived of the beneficial smoke, your brain has started to rot.

That rotten sod has told you about the RZ I may or may not have been subtly admiring (drooling) over on Tardme hasn't he??!

Curses and naughty words!

However, on a more serious note...

I don't doubt my riding skills... it more my riding ability I am calling into question... though I know it sounds one in the same, to my fuzzy logic, there is a subtle difference...

The of course there is the small matter of the fact that I have pretty much no bloody idea hot to get to Palmy... :stupid:

Ixion
i'd definitely check the forecast tho...the odd shower is no worries but you dont wanna be doing the vast majority of it in the pissing rain...

Why not? And even if one did nae wanna, a little bit of water is better than being stuck in a cage (and they're a poain in the wet , too, so what have you gained?)

Whynot
when large objects like wives etc must be transported.

thats what i read the first time ... :first:

yod
28th April 2007, 01:04
The of course there is the small matter of the fact that I have pretty much no bloody idea hot to get to Palmy... :stupid:

get on the southern motorway and keep going til you see the sign that says palmy - you'll be about 15 minutes away....highway 1 all the way...nice roads round the lake and some good parts in the desert road area too

Ixion
28th April 2007, 01:04

You go south. For about 5 hours. And bend just a bit to the right. You can't miss it. Very flat. With distant sounds of banjoes. If you hit water, and a lot of hot air, you've gone to far, that's Wellington, just turn round and go back a twindle or two.

yod
28th April 2007, 01:06
With distant sounds of banjoes.

you taking the piss out of palmerstonians??

Ixion
28th April 2007, 01:15
No indeed. I am entirely happy that Palmerstonians should remain full of piss.

Steam
28th April 2007, 01:46
Meh, I rode Auckland to Wellington on my GN250 the day after I got my learner's license and I'd never ridden a bike before.
Foolish perhaps but a hell of a lot of fun. You can read about it here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=30781).
That was my first ever post on KB too. Oh how the year has flown!
You must ride. You are a good keen man. And a donor, should all go horribly wrong.

McJim
28th April 2007, 02:44
Donor. If you can deal with the mind buggering boredom that is the job you are currently leaving then you will have no problem in getting from South Auckland to Palmerston North. especially if you pass your test and can therefore achieve the dizzy heights of 100kph on the way....legally...:rofl:

Smoggie
28th April 2007, 05:33
Do it mate, and enjoy :)

Maha
28th April 2007, 07:50
Ride there :rockon: ya Poof!!......

The Pastor
28th April 2007, 09:53
so you post on a biker website asking if you should ride a bike, nice troll.

Donor
28th April 2007, 10:34
so you post on a biker website asking if you should ride a bike, nice troll.

Yeah... troll... that's it - dang you saw right through me... bugger...

Jeaves
28th April 2007, 11:04
you should be sweet mate , plan out your breaks as others have mentioned - it will be a long ride . Also maybe txt your missus/brother at everystop so someone knows how your getting on etc .

also if there is to be any hard work or boozing going on that weekend remember you have to ride back so take it easy the night before :apint: .

RC1
28th April 2007, 14:23
just do it and although you think it a longish ride it will do wonders for your self esteem doing a long hall also good for practicing your bike skills

Disco Dan
28th April 2007, 14:36
Ride ya big geye baby!

You got more chance of fecking up doing a short twisties ride than a long straight one! ...except those pesky cars which we all hate so much.

Hi-vis vest on all the time - dont give those cagers any excuses, and yeah... what ixion said!!!!

jtzzr
28th April 2007, 15:15
"ride" , "ride" like the wind my two-wheeled brother

Donor
28th April 2007, 15:30
Alrighty... have decided to two wheel it.

Surprisingly SWMBO thought this was a good idea, but probably only because it will work out about 60 bucks cheaper on gas!

I'm sitting my test at 11:15, then all going well I will be home, de-plated, made beautiful and out the door by 12:00 so probably haul in to the motel about 7ish...

It's going to be a pant load of fun, just need to hit a mate down the road up and see if I can nick his jacket, mine is 90% water proof... the 10% that isn't channels water into a most unfomfortable region.

My brother will be taking most of my crap down in a van on Thursday, so I'll be travelling with a light backpack with water and some light snacks...

Of course, if the weather turns to crap... well, we'll see what the weather genie has to say about that I guess! :sunny:

...then there's coming back... but that's Sundays problem :scooter:

Chisanga
28th April 2007, 16:08
I know you'll have a great time :) Probably more kms in that trip than you have done on Rosey so far...almost... maybe.

Kittyhawk
28th April 2007, 23:38
Tis all good if you get the right weather on the day.

It is a stamina thing. You will be knackered but at the end of the day its worth it.

Wear lots of undergarments and dress up warmly. Borrow my legwarmers if ya want!!

Make sure before you do ya usual bike routine checks, and have plenty of stops along the way.

Blah, you know the rest:Punk:

Chisanga
29th April 2007, 00:07
I assume it is illegal to add extra lights to make yourself more visible?

I was thinking of those red flashing LED's that roadies have on the back of their bicycles... can see them from ages away.

gijoe1313
29th April 2007, 01:37
A poll ... :slap: About... riding or not .... :thud:

Dear Donor, I will now confiscate your biker card! Fortunately, you have made the right decision and decided to allow Rosey the joys of a pootle! I would gleefully accompany you to this meet, but happenstance finds me in front of a class of cherubs to impart some semblance of learning into!

If you need more degustations on the fine art of pootling to parts unknown, you know where to find me... not! As you know, I will be out and about on two wheels of freedom, which I take every opportunity to do! As one does.

Now, if you are desirious of wet weather riding gear and other accoutrements and the panoply associated with pootling, feel free to supplicate me at your nearest convinience!

Oh dear, asking if one should partake of the merry joy of sustaining forward motion on a bi-wheeled mechanical contraption ... oh dear, oh dear oh dear oh me... :violin:

Donor
29th April 2007, 08:38
Borrow my legwarmers if ya want!!

Don't think the leg warmers are really me...

...what about the skirt though? Always thought that would go well with my boots...

Kittyhawk
29th April 2007, 18:57
On the back of my skirt is painted "Kittyhawk" it might confuse other bikers..

Chisanga
29th April 2007, 19:11
On the back of my skirt is painted "Kittyhawk" it might confuse other bikers..

you could always add " 's bitch" that would make more sense wouldn't it :rofl:

Kittyhawk
29th April 2007, 20:06
Oh shesh! Does that mean I can spank him if I do that?

Chisanga
29th April 2007, 20:08
You can spank anybody you so choose with my complete approval :)

Donor
29th April 2007, 20:12
you could always add " 's bitch" that would make more sense wouldn't it :rofl:

Why I oughta...

Actually, you're dead right... rather apt really...

Donor
29th April 2007, 20:13
Oh shesh! Does that mean I can spank him if I do that?

Only if ya can catch me - you might pwn me on the road, but on foot this chubby bugger can fair hoof it!

Blue Thunder
29th April 2007, 20:24
Don't be a pussy young man, sit the 6r in the AM and then take your weener in one hand and the throttle in the other and head for the happy place of racing fuel and squeeling tyres. Help the older sibling in his pursuit of the ultimate lap (not hitting the wall again HEHEHEHE, you know of wot i speak)
You have now, my young apprentice sufficiant skills to master the long haul ride without the use of training wheels and leakproof underwear, all you require is the wrath or blesing of SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED to complete the task. I can unfortunately not attend due to the need to make an appearance at work for the collection of money.

Blue Thunder
29th April 2007, 20:27
yes true you are good until i let the clutch out and KANE your sorry arse

jafar
29th April 2007, 20:35
Buy a map before you go , as you have no idea of how to get to your destination you may need it. Have a good ride :rockon:

Donor
1st May 2007, 14:51
Well, sucks to be me... I'm going to have to take the wagon.

I have my license test at 11:15am, I need to get to a diagnostic medlab in Mt Wellington just after that to have my Mantoux test (checking for immunity against TB) read, and have to catch my youngest for his birthday for a bit, so in all safety I have decided 2 wheels is probably not the best option for me.

GUTTED! :(

gijoe1313
1st May 2007, 15:48
You have angered the biker gods and thus you have been punished accordingly! Tch! Oh well, least you get to steer one handed whilst having a drink and a fag between the fingers and fiddling with the radio and adjusting your mirrors and .... oh you know it! :lol:

Donor
1st May 2007, 15:53
You have angered the biker gods and thus you have been punished accordingly! Tch! Oh well, least you get to steer one handed whilst having a drink and a fag between the fingers and fiddling with the radio and adjusting your mirrors and .... oh you know it! :lol:

I blame my sodding brother for dropping this on me unexpectedly!

On the plus side, I got myself a styley new pair of gloves before the squash got put on the plans - nice and warm, and apparently very waterproof... I sense a Tui ad...

cowboyz
1st May 2007, 16:00
it's 550km to palmy, a little less to feilding so with stops you probably looking at 6+ hours (depends on your riding style)
if you're on the main road it's pretty easy riding, the good thing about doing a longer haul like that is you can get into a real groove - it's all experience in the end
i'd make a stop in tokoroa and then again in turangi perhaps? (or even more often)

agreed. but Would only be stopping in tokoroa to check the map and see where you went wrong.

If I was doing it I would go like this....

Jump on southern motorwayand follow it down to Ngawhaihia (sp?)
Turn right at the BP station to follow a sign that says "to otorohonga" (you actually turn right over the railway lines and then immediately left.

Follow that road to whatawhata. You effectively go striaght through whatawhata but actually have to do a left right thing there cause the road doesnt match up.

Keep following your nose till you hit otorohonga. turn right down to te kewiti. This should have taken you about an hour and a half.

Follow through te kewiti till the service station at the T interestion (think its a BP) turn right. Go out to 8 mile junction. turn left (it says tamuranui)
Follow your nose.

Sooner or later you will be in waioru and then striaght down the highway to feilding.

All up it is about 5 and a half hours at legal speeds. Really easy road. 8 mile is fun. lots of open stuff if you want to get places a bit quicker.

I would probably refuel in te kiwiti (I know I have spelt it wrong) and then again in wairouru.

yod
1st May 2007, 16:13
agreed. but Would only be stopping in tokoroa to check the map and see where you went wrong.

If I was doing it I would go like this....

Jump on southern motorwayand follow it down to Ngawhaihia (sp?)
Turn right at the BP station to follow a sign that says "to otorohonga" (you actually turn right over the railway lines and then immediately left.

Follow that road to whatawhata. You effectively go striaght through whatawhata but actually have to do a left right thing there cause the road doesnt match up.

Keep following your nose till you hit otorohonga. turn right down to te kewiti. This should have taken you about an hour and a half.

Follow through te kewiti till the service station at the T interestion (think its a BP) turn right. Go out to 8 mile junction. turn left (it says tamuranui)
Follow your nose.

Sooner or later you will be in waioru and then striaght down the highway to feilding.

All up it is about 5 and a half hours at legal speeds. Really easy road. 8 mile is fun. lots of open stuff if you want to get places a bit quicker.

I would probably refuel in te kiwiti (I know I have spelt it wrong) and then again in wairouru.

hey ya bum...get back to work!!

cowboyz
1st May 2007, 17:21
do you want to phone a freind?[/B]

ooooo oooooo oooo pick me pick me ........

cowboyz
1st May 2007, 17:22
hey ya bum...get back to work!!

hey. i am working. cant you tell!

BTW. This guy doesnt even know me so there is more chance of him following my directions!

yod
1st May 2007, 18:05
hey. i am working. cant you tell!

BTW. This guy doesnt even know me so there is more chance of him following my directions!

true :laugh:

Henk
1st May 2007, 18:49
I rode to Palmy and back in a weekend on an RD250LC with Z bars and a learner licence far too many years ago now, to get to a 21st. Good weekend but I could hardly sit down for days. Make the trip and take a sheepskin.

gijoe1313
1st May 2007, 20:34
Ok, I normally take great pleasure in reading that which you scribe Mr Joe.

But do tell what the meaning of those fucken words are.:angry:

Dear Speedie,

It is with alarming acuity that with alacrity I provide further import to the wordkin I have verbatim used, in the assumption that most would be perfunctionarily familiar with such bandied quips!

So, in enlightenment of those and in the face your apostle smiley that behooves me to be succint, this follows as :

happenstance : a chance happening or event.

degustations : Degustation is the art of tasting food, in this case used amorphically into the conversation as ... digesting the merit of one's conversation!

accoutrements : An accessory item of equipment or dress. Often used in the plural.

panoply : I love this word, so I include the major definitions of this amazingly precocious and pregnant presentation of parts!

1. a wide-ranging and impressive array or display: the dazzling panoply of the maharaja's procession; the panoply of European history.
2. a complete suit of armor.
3. a protective covering.
4. full ceremonial attire or paraphernalia; special dress and equipment.

supplicate : to pray humbly; make humble and earnest entreaty or petition.

In this instance, I take your supplication to supply certain foist able words and their complying meanings for my meanderings and musings of a most mendacious and moonlighting muse!

Happily we are in concurrence with this and have illuminated a whole pantheon of powerful words to our beholdened and learned kin that resides here on KB (that powerfully metaphorical acronym that is Kiwi Biker!)

I pray that we have not dallied too long here in the depths of the di-urnal despositions of the lumpen proletariat!

Yours in repose
Your most humble and chastened fellow enjoyer of paired orbs of contrivance that provides hilarity, clarity and the occasional bump into misericorde.

Jeaves
1st May 2007, 21:09
:blink: . . . . . :scratch: . . . . . :doobey:

Donor
1st May 2007, 21:29
I was going to post something... but after J's little outpouring, I think I'm just going to go have a little lie down...

Donor
1st May 2007, 22:55
You fucken homo Nige, go do the test, go to DML and get your test thing, its like 5 minutes, go to the birthday wotsit for half an hour and pissoff down the road, and go the way the fella above me said, that is the best way to go. So you get there a little later than you first thought, so what, you woulda been up till that time anyway.
Dont forget I know your (new) boss, and dispatcher... PTS can get some good jobs.....and some bad ones, your call. I await to see you change your mind back to two wheels.

The audience has vote 92% to ride down, you already have used 50/50, do you want to phone a freind?

Cheers Speedster... way to apply the borax you bastard!

As it turns out, I have fucked up with my own kids birthday :o

His birthday is actually not for another few weeks... don't actually know where the hell I got the 5th from!

But... being as I have already told the evil sibling I am taking the wagon down, I am now carting a set of racking slicks to the track... so I am cage bound. :weep:

However, I will be arranging a long ride sometime after my return. I was thinking Wellington is lovely this time of year... :lol:

Then again, the weekend of the 12/13 May he's racing Taupo... that could do for getting some two wheeled cred back... no? :dodge:

Dammit, I can't help it - I have the Green Watch gene - hard work scares me!

Kittyhawk
1st May 2007, 23:33
Only if ya can catch me - you might pwn me on the road, but on foot this chubby bugger can fair hoof it!

Lol....I am goin to refrain from saying anything here lol!~~

Donor
1st May 2007, 23:34
Lol....I am goin to refrain from saying anything here lol!~~

Oh you are SO asking for it... I have this week off, don't make me hunt you down for a jolly good thrashing...

Kittyhawk
2nd May 2007, 00:08
Oh you are SO asking for it... I have this week off, don't make me hunt you down for a jolly good thrashing...

*stares innocently*

Now are you sure that's a jolly good thrashing or something else!!!

You know you want me all dressed up in my leathers and hot sexy leg warmers on my sexy bike....mmm bike!

:Punk: ha!!

yod
2nd May 2007, 00:12

*stares innocently*

You know you want me all dressed up in my leathers and hot sexy leg warmers on my sexy bike....mmm bike!

get a room!!

yod
2nd May 2007, 00:14
and by the way...if you DO get your shite together and make the trip, make sure you turn off highway 1 onto route 54 about 30km south of taihape....well worth the deviation!!

Kittyhawk
2nd May 2007, 00:21
get a room!!

Aww you should join us hahahahaha!

Donor
2nd May 2007, 00:24
*stares innocently*

Text me in the morning... my leg warmer fetish is strong this week! :D

yod
2nd May 2007, 00:27
Aww you should join us hahahahaha!

you're propositioning a poor little innocent young thing like me?!?!:innocent:

:shit: im shocked!!

unfortunately leg warmers dont really do it for me sorry....i was a teenager in the 80's and they still give me nightmares mate:laugh: