PDA

View Full Version : ANZAC day ride (almost)

R1madness
28th April 2007, 10:19
Well after a week of flat out working trying to get as many customers bikes ready for the ANZAC day ambulance ride as possable i finally got to drag my own bike (oh yea i am riding a TRIUMPH SPRINT ST at present) out of the garage on Wed morning to do some prep and check on it.
A quick wash and check tyre pressures, oil etc and ... oh heres a mate, hey Ian can you tighten my mirrors? Sure mate. Forget about my bike and sort his for him. (i'm like that). Everyone else arrives so i think stuff it it will be fine....... lets go.
Off to the meeting place.....
Meet up with everyone , stand around and chat for a while,
Get ready to go. Hit starter button, crank crank, hmmm thinks i, that sounds a little flat.... vroom good oh we are away.
Cruising along all good then suddenly clunk :shit: ........ the whole bikes electrics die.... nothing.... not even the clock working..... flick the kill switch and the key while coasting to the side of the road. DEAD.
A couple of people stop to see if we are ok. Cheers PETE and SDU.
Quick inspection reveals the JAPANEESE BATTERY has died. Bloody hell :sick: . A quick call to a mate to pick me up so i can get my van and bring bike home. Leave Shelley with bike parked on broken yellow lines while i get van. NOONE STOPPED to ask if she was ok or needed a hand. Typical car drivers.:bye:

Still had a laugh about it and it just goes to show shit can happen at the most embarresing times. Like when you are the only shop represented at a run and your bike stuff out. hehehehehehehe.

laRIKin
28th April 2007, 10:32
I waved and tooted.:spudwave::spudwhat:

You smiled back :bye: :confused: , so I thought that it was all OK.

So I smiled back as I when passed you. :laugh: :shutup:

I thought it must have been a fuse or you were adjusting or tightening something that had come loose.:violin: :corn:

And if you were in trouble you would of waved me in.:innocent:

skidMark
28th April 2007, 11:02
bugger mate, shit happens i guess

Will
28th April 2007, 20:27
I know the feeling of sitting on the side of the road. When it happened to me it was just a normal morning on the Auckland Southern Motorway. One biker helped, then we decided that we couldn't do anything on the side of the motorway so let him get on to work. All the other bikes that went past, slowed down till I gave them the 2thumbsup
My battery was flat. Turned out it was because my regulator had blown. Shit happens.

I hear that the Christchurch Ambulance Ride was really big this year:rockon:

R1madness
29th April 2007, 09:06
Guys and Girls, I was only having a little dig about car drivers. All the bikes that went past slowed to check we were under control just like Le Mans did. None of the cars did. Even when Shelley was by herself with the bike, not 1 car driver offered to help. I guess i will stop offering help to car drivers broken down on the side of the road now.....

Yea the run was great. Got to see about 300 bikes (out of the 380 or so) ride past. Was a great sight.

laRIKin
29th April 2007, 09:45
Was a great sight.

So now you are saying that you are glad that you stopped, because you had the best view, you bugger, where is all the pic's then. :Pokey: :D :dodge:

As those that were there know, this was a camera crew there, has it been aired yet??

Once I ran out of fuel (just before the next town) because I miss under stood the range of the tank on my new bike (long story).
And was stopped on the side of the road at night and it was going the rain, as it was further back up the road.
No bikes or cars would stop, and we were trying to wave them down, until a nice guy with a full trailer stopped way down the road and did a U turn to see if he could help us, he got me a gallon of petrol and would not let me pay for it. (company car I think)

Nice guy and I'm still grateful mate.

I was not looking forward to pushing my bike all that way in to the next town.
And oh yeah there was no cell phones back then.

Paulus
29th April 2007, 19:23
Quick inspection reveals the JAPANEESE BATTERY has died.

Was it a new Yuasa? Mine was under 4 months old and did the same thing. I'm waiting to hear back from Don at Cycletreads about a warranty replacement.

R1madness
30th April 2007, 20:48
Give Don a call. He is a good guy but busy. He might just need a polite reminder to call the wholesaler.