PDA

View Full Version : Best allround 250 sportbike?

Buddha
1st September 2004, 08:56
Hey all, looking to buy a 250 sport bike. Wondering your opinions on the best allround bike... Value for money? Best performer? Best engine/drivetrain? Reliability? Resale value? Interested to hear your comments. I am lead to believe that a CBR250 is generally considered to be one of the best? Which leads on to my next question... what is the difference between a CBR250 and a CBR250RR? Is it all cosmetic or is there mechanical differences as well?

All input appreciated. Cheers!

Hitcher
1st September 2004, 12:07
Buddha

Welcome to Kiwibiker. You'll find the folk here are friendly, frank and forthright.

To answer your question, this has been well churned over in many previous threads. Have a read through these and see what has been written -- including my unashamed plugs for the Yamaha FZX250 Zeal!

k14
1st September 2004, 12:17
Ok, here goes.

The CBR250 was manufactured from 85ish to 87ish, it is alot different to the later models, leave these ones alone. These didnt have full fairings and are very scarce, haven't actually seen one in the flesh.

The CBR250R (MC19) was made from 87 to 90. These are pretty good, look a little less modern (IMO) compared to the MC22. But apart from a different swingarm, a single disc front brake and cosmetic differences they are the same as the MC22 (described below). These generally

The CBR250RR (MC22) was made from 90 to 94 or so (think it got made later, but not too sure). Compared to the MC19's they are much nicer looking and look alot more modern than the other bikes from that time. They have the bannana swing arm, twin front discs and different fairings. These are alot more expensive than the MC19 and a mint condition one will go for over $5000.

Of course I am byast but I say that the CBR250RR is the best 250 4-stroke you can buy (and the price is a good indication of this). They are incredibly reliable and as long as you keep them services regularly the motor will run for over 100,000kms quite easily.

If you read the reviews of the 250's in the bike review section you will see a few people's points of view. The 2nd best alternative is the ZXR250, these go for alot less than the CBR's but aren't held in as high regard.

Does that help?

Mr Skid
1st September 2004, 12:40
IIRC the RR carb has a larger main jet, some sort of ram air setup (my R has fake ram air intakes) and is more of a crouchy bike, whereas the R is more upright relatively speaking.

Another benefit of the CBR250 series is that the cams are driven by gears, rather than a belt or chain, so no servicing costs to worry about from that.

As K14 says, they have a reputation as one of the most reliable 250cc bikes.

Let me know if you get one, I think I might have a service manual pdf somewhere..

Cajun
1st September 2004, 12:47
Hey all, looking to buy a 250 sport bike. Wondering your opinions on the best allround bike... Value for money? Best performer? Best engine/drivetrain? Reliability? Resale value? Interested to hear your comments. I am lead to believe that a CBR250 is generally considered to be one of the best? Which leads on to my next question... what is the difference between a CBR250 and a CBR250RR? Is it all cosmetic or is there mechanical differences as well?

hey Buddha i living out papoma at the moment there are few of us around this area

welcome

Buddha
1st September 2004, 12:56
Cheers lads, that's pretty much what I came up with just from searching the net. So looks like it's CBR250 or ZXR250. Came across this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Road-bikes/Sports-tourer/auction-14935071.htm) on trademe. Sound like a good deal?

k14
1st September 2004, 13:22
The CBR250RR's got fake ram air aswell. Just goes to a dead end on the frame. Haven't heard the different jet in the carb one though. But it could be right.

Yeah that trademe one looks pretty good. Just get it checked out first.

Buddha
1st September 2004, 13:44
Do you think it's worth getting a proper mechanical check done? Or do I just make sure it starts easily, listen for rattles, look for leaks etc and make sure it rides well? I know plenty about cars but am pretty new to this bike bizzo. I have had some pretty dodgy (slack) mechanical appraisals on cars before so I am kind of put off the idea of paying someone anyway.

aff-man
1st September 2004, 14:16
Look for the thread about bike shops to find a good one. GET A PROFESSIONAL CHECK DONE. Really needs to be done to check things like forks(seals and if they are straight),brakes,frame,very important to get a compression test done, some of these bikes have had the speedo switched over and so could be screwed.

Unfortunatley i am going to say zxr250 (just cause i had one so am biased) nifty little bike that corners pretty good looks ok, I don't think it has the same top speed as the cbr250rr but it accelerates like a rocket.

Either bike the cbr or zxr has a great resale value becaue they are two of the top sports 250's and are in high demand.

Happy hunting and have fun. See ya out there

Funkyfly
1st September 2004, 14:16
Do you think it's worth getting a proper mechanical check done? Or do I just make sure it starts easily, listen for rattles, look for leaks etc and make sure it rides well? I know plenty about cars but am pretty new to this bike bizzo. I have had some pretty dodgy (slack) mechanical appraisals on cars before so I am kind of put off the idea of paying someone anyway.

My 1st 250 was a 1990 Yammy TZR (2 stroke) its was rough (cost me $1300)but lots of fun for a 1st bike. but it blew up trying to keep up with a bigger bike when i was coming home from the mount ( i live in taranaki).

I decided to buy from a dealer after that, ended up getting a 1989 ZXR 250 (4 stroke), man that bike was the bomb! took a bit of getting use to though, it revved out to 19,000 revs. looked good and most people thought it was a 400 because it looked pretty big.

I have no complaints about it at all, i loved it, once you had it on the boil it was pretty fast, and sounded amazing.

i gave it to my wife but she didnt like the riding position so we sold it.

brought it for 6000 about 2 years ago and traded it in for 3200 in chch when we were down there in March.

i did about 10,000 kms on it, not a problem.

Whatever you buy you will have exciting times ahead of you dude.

aff-man
1st September 2004, 14:17
Oh and make sure they check the charging system on any honda. They are all pretty pants and have a tendancy to go poof now and again.

Zapf
2nd September 2004, 01:08
ermm.. not much padding to sit on on that CBR250RR. Might get a bit raw on a long ride.... :whocares:

k14
2nd September 2004, 08:58
Yeah, not much padding but I have ridden for over 6 hours in one day and still felt alright. Only get a sore lower back now. Arse just goes numb after a while.

Mr Skid
2nd September 2004, 09:40
Arse just goes numb after a while.
Yeah I've found that too, hanging off the side in corners helps me a bit. I'm used to 50km jaunts on a narrow bicycle seat, so in comparison the CBR could be a goldwing!

I also expect you'll find out quite early in your first test ride that the height of the clip ons puts some weight on your wrists.

I've got used to it, but sometimes on a longish trip I'll bring my knees up, and rest my elbows on my knees, and my chest on the tank. It'll put some weight on your knees but unloads your wrists and back.

See what works for you.

カワサキキド
2nd September 2004, 14:59
Damn you Hitcher.... :angry2:

After reading all your ravings on about your Zeal....

....I want one now

vifferman
2nd September 2004, 15:04
Seeing I know almost nothing about 250s, not having ridden one for about 20 years, I'd say the Aprilia RS250 (or whatever its designation is).

jrandom
2nd September 2004, 15:05
Seeing I know almost nothing about 250s, not having ridden one for about 20 years, I'd say the one that's the fastest and most expensive.

And fair enough too.

Cajun
2nd September 2004, 15:09
Seeing I know almost nothing about 250s, not having ridden one for about 20 years, I'd say the Aprilia RS250 (or whatever its designation is).

mmmm rs250 even tho i not riden one of those in about 5 years, i still want one for a play thing

dhunt
2nd September 2004, 15:35
mmmm rs250 even tho i not riden one of those in about 5 years, i still want one for a play thing
Do they take much maintance work? How often do you have to rebuild them?

Funkyfly
2nd September 2004, 16:06
Do they take much maintance work? How often do you have to rebuild them?

I have read and heard that the motors are trouble - yes worse than your average 2 stroke!, even read an article about a motor swap with a jap bike. The handling as you would expect sounds wikid!

SPORK
2nd September 2004, 16:41
Hey, busting in here, but I think it is pretty relevant; Is the FZR250 a good 250? Are there any main problems with it? I heard that it would make a good first bike, is that true? Thanks for any replies!

Magua
2nd September 2004, 17:11
Don't hold me to this, but I hear they have carburator problems.

Zapf
3rd September 2004, 00:05
na.. the VTR250's are the most friendly sports bike :) Nice grunty low / mid range torque. Pulls out of corners (torque) better than CBR's, better seats and as long as u don't drag a CBR it'll be a good sport. :yes:

Mr Skid
3rd September 2004, 12:37
na.. the VTR250's are the most friendly sports bike :) Nice grunty low / mid range torque. Pulls out of corners (torque) better than CBR's, better seats and as long as u don't drag a CBR it'll be a good sport. :yes:

...and VTR's don't sound like lawnmowers eh Zapf?

I find the CBR engine tends to cook in stop-start motorway traffic as a function of revs and minimal air flow. The only real answer for it is to split lanes.. At least that'll be the awnser I'll give when I'm pinged for it :Police:

Firefight
3rd September 2004, 13:00
.. The only real answer for it is to split lanes.. At least that'll be the awnser I'll give when I'm pinged for it :Police:

:lol: :2thumbsup :killingme :killingme good luck

F/F

Cajun
3rd September 2004, 13:43
...and VTR's don't sound like lawnmowers eh Zapf?

I find the CBR engine tends to cook in stop-start motorway traffic as a function of revs and minimal air flow. The only real answer for it is to split lanes.. At least that'll be the awnser I'll give when I'm pinged for it :Police:

don't think that go down well, the wifes getting caught doing 120 saying there was a strong head wind and only way to get thru it didn't work, silly cop who never riden a bike before

Mr Skid
3rd September 2004, 14:19
don't think that go down well, the wifes getting caught doing 120 saying there was a strong head wind and only way to get thru it didn't work, silly cop who never riden a bike before

Oh I doubt it'd work at all, but I'd feel bad not having some :bs: excuse lined up for it.

After all, the police must look forward to creative excuses delivered with a straight face.

I'd hate to disappoint them!

Cajun
3rd September 2004, 15:08
Oh I doubt it'd work at all, but I'd feel bad not having some :bs: excuse lined up for it.

After all, the police must look forward to creative excuses delivered with a straight face.

I'd hate to disappoint them!

yes never want to disappoint them

Blakamin
3rd September 2004, 15:31
Hey, busting in here, but I think it is pretty relevant; Is the FZR250 a good 250? Are there any main problems with it? I heard that it would make a good first bike, is that true? Thanks for any replies!

They're a good bike! 40hp, 6 speed.. rev hard... my old fzx had the same engine!
Just dont expect to go over 140!

erik
3rd September 2004, 18:53
They're a good bike! 40hp, 6 speed.. rev hard... my old fzx had the same engine!
Just dont expect to go over 140!

I think the fzx is supposed to have a detuned version of the engine, so I think it's likely that the fzr 250 could get over 140. I had a really short ride on one once, it seemed really smooth, much more like a sewing machine than my brother's 2 cylinder zzr 250 or my fzx. But I didn't see how fast it would go, and didn't ride it for long.

Blakamin
3rd September 2004, 19:01
I think the fzx is supposed to have a detuned version of the engine, so I think it's likely that the fzr 250 could get over 140. I had a really short ride on one once, it seemed really smooth, much more like a sewing machine than my brother's 2 cylinder zzr 250 or my fzx. But I didn't see how fast it would go, and didn't ride it for long.

Wasnt detuned, was a gearbox ratio thing... had the ponies, just no top speed!

MrMelon
3rd September 2004, 20:48
For bang for buck I wouldn't go past a 91 onwards tzr/rgv/nsr250.

They take a bit more maintenance, but they're stupidly fun.

Good ones can be had for $2.5-3k

Jay widda 150
8th September 2004, 12:56
by far the best is the ZXR250

it is reliable cheap to buy then run. minimal maint. needed and looks good. a bit uncomfortable after long days riding but hey go hard and grow up. and yes you long time listeners jay wid out the 150 is back after ealing to those damn aliens

sheight
14th September 2004, 20:14
trying not to be biased.. :killingme
but id say the gsxr250 would be up there...!
but yea, only because i have one and have never ridden any others...lol

Coyote
9th October 2004, 11:46
What I really wanna know is top speeds. Heard the GSX250S Katana gets to 108mph, what do the others do?

Coyote
9th October 2004, 11:48
By the way, I wanna know performance cause i wanna race one in the streetstock

Storm
10th October 2004, 17:22
For my 2c worth, my 91 GSX250FL has been up to 160km/h and I ran out of road. Once its warmed up, its no trouble to see 150 pretty smartly as well :whistle:

Fluffy Cat
10th October 2004, 18:17
Here is my 10 cents worth.If you want a reliable cheap to run 250 get a CBR GSXR etc etc.If you are wanting the fastest best handling closest to a race bike that you can then it's going to be an RGV,NSR,TZR or aprilia rs 250,none of the four stokes will get near any of these full stop!.I'am racing an NSR MC21 at the mo.When it had a speedo and they only go to 180 kph but there are 2 extra marks the bike was hitting 210 kph.It has now got race pipes and a few HRC goodies so prob faster.Anyone who tells you that the 4 stroke 250's are faster is talking from a position of nil experience. :niceone:

Coyote
31st October 2004, 15:32
I'm about to get a FZR 250(I nice one too), I want to know all I can before I do, very fast?, how fast?, accel good?, engine probs?, anything anyone can tell me in reccomendation or avoidence. Ideally I would be getting a 250 2 stroke, but money and the fact that my parents wouldnt allow me to go riding on it.

justsomeguy
5th November 2004, 00:22
:Oi: Can someone please answer alarumba . cos I wanna know the answers too

Cheers

2_SL0
5th November 2004, 08:49
3LN is the one to get. Out of the 250's Im sorry but I think they are all a much of the muchness (Possibly the Honda is the best, but you pay for it.). If you get one with the Exup just be aware that at idle the exup can rattle a little. This is adjustable, but the rattle does no harm. Handling wise well I dunno its ok but they are only a 250, I did however rebuild the front forks and change the weight of the oil.(te forks on one of these are a little soft) Speed wise well I dunno had mine up to 120 very easily and a fair bit left to go.
Dunno what top speed is, (As a guess around 150) but again it is only a 250 I am not to keen on findng out.
They can be prone to carburation problems, but I never found anything really difficult about the carbs, I striped, cleaned, and reassembled mine. (No big deal)
They dont really pull until about 8000 rpm, and prob really get going at about 10000-11000. They do pull all the way to redline. But again they are only a 250.
I have heard they can burn a valve as well.
Hope that helps.

Sniper
8th November 2004, 11:00
Hey Budda,

I got myself a CBR250RR a week ago and Im very pleased in it. My mate has a 1994 250 Ninja and I would say the CBR is alot nicer to ride around on than the Ninja.

I suppose I just like the sound, cant beat the revs at 17000rpm :)

Sniper

Coyote
8th November 2004, 17:01
Hey Budda,

I got myself a CBR250RR a week ago and Im very pleased in it. My mate has a 1994 250 Ninja and I would say the CBR is alot nicer to ride around on than the Ninja.

I suppose I just like the sound, cant beat the revs at 17000rpm :)

SniperGot any details on your bike? Price, condition, kms?

Sniper
10th November 2004, 09:06
ermm.. not much padding to sit on on that CBR250RR. Might get a bit raw on a long ride.... :whocares:

What do you mean a bit raw?? Riding from here to Christchurch, my arse almost felt like stone and I had piles for months afterwards, I mean ummm, ah shit! :moon:

Sniper
10th November 2004, 09:08
Got any details on your bike? Price, condition, kms?

It is a 1992, Red and white CBR250RR. Gull swingarm and the usual. I got it for $5500 with a helmet, reg and Wof thrown in. Damn nice and fast for a 250.
It has 31000km on the clock and is in a damn mint condition, not scrapes or anything to suggest its been dropped

I couldnt be happier

Magua
10th November 2004, 09:19
I'm about to get a FZR 250(I nice one too), I want to know all I can before I do, very fast?, how fast?, accel good?, engine probs?, anything anyone can tell me in reccomendation or avoidence. Ideally I would be getting a 250 2 stroke, but money and the fact that my parents wouldnt allow me to go riding on it.

Get that fzr CHECKED FIRST. Those carb problems are a bitch. I've got a flatspot in first gear at low rpm so for take offs I have to rev insanely loud and lightly let out the clutch as not to plow into the car in front.

CBobR
10th November 2004, 10:37
Hi Alarumba, I was looking at similar bikes as you a couple of years ago when I got my learner’s. I bought a 1992 CBR250RR “N” from Haldanes for ~$5200 with an indicated 18,000km and a little bit of lowside damage.

I love it. It’s been a lot of fun, I’ve learned a lot of skills on it and it’s been ultra reliable. I’ve recently (before I put it into a wall at Castrol :o) been offered ~$3000 for it as a trade in with 48,000km showing on the odometer, and some added cosmetic damage from a drop and a ~40kmph lowside.

I had a go on an FZR250 (3LN) and a ZXR250 (C) when bike shopping, and as far as I could tell there is very little seperating them. Just slight riding position differences/cosmetics/sounds. I only went for the CBR over the others because this one just happened to turn up at the right time and place, well that and as an engineering geek I think gear driven cams are cool :).

I reckon you should ride them all (bike shops seem to be cool about test riding old 250s) to see if any one “feels” more right to you. Some advice I remember being given is that these bikes are ~12-13 years old now, so condition is more likely to affect relative performance than any slight mechanical differences they came with from the factory. If you are planning on racing I guess you should do some careful research on factory restrictions, I know that with the CBR250RR at least there are a changes with restrictions over the years that vary peak power by about 5hp depending on which one you get, probably negligible on the street but maybe important in a competitive class.

For performance, from what I've seen, expect 0-100km in just over 5s, a quarter mile time of ~14.0s (varying a lot depending on your weight/mechanical sympathy), and an unrestricted top speed of 195-200kmph.

Good luck, all of these bikes are great so you can’t really go wrong.

Coyote
10th November 2004, 13:21
Get that fzr CHECKED FIRST. Those carb problems are a bitch. I've got a flatspot in first gear at low rpm so for take offs I have to rev insanely loud and lightly let out the clutch as not to plow into the car in front.
Didn't get the FZR in the end. Cause I haven't got my licence yet (and the reason for getting one is to get my licence, and maybe race it) my Dad test rode it. He got pretty scared by it cause it had alot of headshake, so he didn't want to get it cause he doesn't want me to get killed.

Magua
10th November 2004, 13:43
Headshake? When I change down gear too fast the rear feels to swing right but I haven't noticed anything wrong with the front end of the fzr.

Coyote
10th November 2004, 13:53
It was a shame that it had that problem cause I really wanted it. I'm still looking for a bike, might go for a RG150.

SPORK
10th November 2004, 16:05
And I need you to get your bike so I can take my licence!

Why weren't you at school, you slacker?!

manuboy
10th November 2004, 16:13
Best 250?

My bike running on 1/2 cylinder.... :bleh: :bleh: :bleh: :banana:

(yeah i know, it's only 996cc, but hey....i guess the 250s aren't exactly 250 either)

jesus my math is crap....

Coyote
10th November 2004, 16:26
And I need you to get your bike so I can take my licence!

Bugger off. Why should you get to ride my 250/150 when I get it?

Antallica
10th November 2004, 16:41
*ahem*

read below if your interested ;)

SPORK
10th November 2004, 17:23
TWO STROKE 150! :P

Aukland anyway.

justsomeguy
10th November 2004, 22:16
Hey alarumba,

Got some ads off TradeMe. Some bikes may not be your type or in your area. But have a look anyway........

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-18028837.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-18256014.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-18100281.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-18304907.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-18092409.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Adventure-dual-purpose/auction-18353442.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-18151799.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-17760560.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-17890016.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-17586308.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-18337955.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-18253624.htm

ribs
15th November 2005, 14:45
I just got a CBR250RR today do you still have a manual in PDF?

Coyote
15th November 2005, 15:03
I just got a CBR250RR today do you still have a manual in PDF?
Only one I've got is a Japanese Manual. You should be able to find one on the internet in PDF. Would post it up on here but it exceeds the attachment limit 3 times

FZX250
22nd July 2008, 19:29
Here is my 10 cents worth.If you want a reliable cheap to run 250 get a CBR GSXR etc etc.If you are wanting the fastest best handling closest to a race bike that you can then it's going to be an RGV,NSR,TZR or aprilia rs 250,none of the four stokes will get near any of these full stop!.I'am racing an NSR MC21 at the mo.When it had a speedo and they only go to 180 kph but there are 2 extra marks the bike was hitting 210 kph.It has now got race pipes and a few HRC goodies so prob faster.Anyone who tells you that the 4 stroke 250's are faster is talking from a position of nil experience. :niceone:

I completely agree. Although 2 stroke bikes like that are good for the track not much else. They are god awefull to comute on, and unless you like having the engine rebuilt all the time, i would advise against it.

blue eyed savage
2nd August 2008, 18:36
zxr 250 best 250 thats not a 2 strock,
maby aprilia for the win

Dave-
3rd August 2008, 22:43
ZXR250C

preferable from 1991 or 92 bit they're all sexy

Roki_nz
4th August 2008, 16:17
ZXR250C

preferable from 1991 or 92 bit they're all sexy

most of the 250 from 91-92 etc all seem to be thrashed, old and overpriced, not to say they are not good bikes though...

Maki
4th August 2008, 18:18
most of the 250 from 91-92 etc all seem to be thrashed, old and overpriced, not to say they are not good bikes though...

I have trouble understanding this obsession with 250 bikes. If you want a sports bike, why not get 600cc or more? A modern 600 is pretty light, if that is what you are after.

If you are only allowed a 250 because you have a restricted or learners licence, then my advice is be patient and wait till you get a full licence.

Roki_nz
5th August 2008, 11:55
I have trouble understanding this obsession with 250 bikes. If you want a sports bike, why not get 600cc or more? A modern 600 is pretty light, if that is what you are after.

If you are only allowed a 250 because you have a restricted or learners licence, then my advice is be patient and wait till you get a full licence.

Yeap Some of the 600cc are only 20-30 kgs heavier than there 250 cousins

captain_andrey
5th August 2008, 18:47
You can always get a Hyosung and 'look' like you have a 600
.... 1 more month on restricted.... :angry2:

idleidolidyll
5th August 2008, 18:53

IMO there's only one bike that rates as "best 250 sportbike": The Aprilia RS250.

Nothing else comes close and 2 strokes are cheaper to recondition and WAY cheaper if something goes wrong.

60+ horsepower and 130kg kicks ANY 4 stroke 250 ass.

See Chris Haldane in Auckland, he seems to have the market almost cornered on RS250's.

nudedaytona
5th August 2008, 19:16
IMO there's only one bike that rates as "best 250 sportbike": The Aprilia RS250.

Nothing else comes close and 2 strokes are cheaper to recondition and WAY cheaper if something goes wrong.

60+ horsepower and 130kg kicks ANY 4 stroke 250 ass.

See Chris Haldane in Auckland, he seems to have the market almost cornered on RS250's.

Totally agree.

And Mt Eden Motorcycles have a couple as well last time I checked.

Every time I hear people raving about an 80s CBR250 I laugh.

The RS250 is the most modern of the two-strokes as well - last manufactured in 2003. You can still get ones with less than 10,000km on them if you hunt around. And theres lots you can do with them to increase power if you're so inclined.

Otherwise try Suzuki RGV250 or Honda NSR250 - both almost as good.

svr
5th August 2008, 19:27
Good 2 stroke road bikes are about 8 seconds a lap faster round a track than the best four strokes. Faster = better, so 2 strokes are a lot better.

Maki
5th August 2008, 19:43
Yea, temperamental 2 strokes are fantastic, if you love smoke and frequent rebuilds. If you want hp, get more displacement.

idleidolidyll
5th August 2008, 19:49
Yea, temperamental 2 strokes are fantastic, if you love smoke and frequent rebuilds. If you want hp, get more displacement.

what, as opposed to aprilia SXV550's?

hilarious!
2 strokes are simpler, lighter, faster, cheaper to rebuild and cheaper to fix if they lunch themselves.

cost of ownership over say 5 years is usually way less.

idleidolidyll
5th August 2008, 20:22
Here's a really good comparison between 2 stroke and 4 stroke:

http://twostrokemilitia.jfn3.com/tsm_assets/scans/DirtBike606-p102-104-lores.pdf

Basically when you ask about 'sport bikes', you're looking for a power to weight ratio at the sport end of performance coupled with a good chassis, brakes and geometry for 'sporty' riding.

When comparing the two types, first find similar power levels for the same cc rating.................oops! you can't?

That's because 2 strokes make around 70% more power than a 4 stroke (size for size) and weigh substantially less.

an example of note is the Aprilia SXV bikes. These 4 stroke race motos make 60-70HP out of 450 and 550cc. They require incredibly frequent servicing and cost a fortune to run and a bigger fortune if they blow.

By comparison, the Aprilia RS250 is almost the same power to weight ratio at less than half the cc and costs bugger all to maintain by comparison.

Maki
6th August 2008, 07:55

hilarious!
2 strokes are simpler, lighter, faster, cheaper to rebuild and cheaper to fix if they lunch themselves.

Ridicuous!
Who said anything about the aprilia SXV550?

My point is that I would much rather have a 600cc sportsbike from Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki or Yamaha than some Italian 250 two smoker. If you prefer smoke, rebuilds and bikes that are likely to "lunch themselves", fine.

CB ARGH
6th August 2008, 08:40

hilarious!

Plus they're really good if you have a small penis, it fits right into their seriously undersized exhaust pipes.

idleidolidyll
6th August 2008, 17:42
Ridicuous!
Who said anything about the aprilia SXV550?

My point is that I would much rather have a 600cc sportsbike from Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki or Yamaha than some Italian 250 two smoker. If you prefer smoke, rebuilds and bikes that are likely to "lunch themselves", fine.

The thread was 250 Sport Bikes.
The point made is that to get the same power to weight as the RS250, you'd be looking at a highly temperamental expensive 4 stroke of almost double the capacity.
600cc 'sports bikes' are fat and overweight and both the RS250 and Aprilia SXV550 would kick their arses on twisty roads.
(forget the bullshit about 160kg dry weight, that's irrelevant. Those 600 things are 180-190kg ready to ride but almost empty of fuel.)

idleidolidyll
6th August 2008, 17:42
Plus they're really good if you have a small penis, it fits right into their seriously undersized exhaust pipes.

dunno, never tried

i'll take your word for it weener

The Pastor
6th August 2008, 23:30
rs250 is only better than the cbr250RR on a racetrack. Screw commuting and touring on one.

idleidolidyll
8th August 2008, 20:25
rs250 is only better than the cbr250RR on a racetrack. Screw commuting and touring on one.

commuting and touring?

the original question asked which was the best SPORTS bike.

commuting and touring are bottom of the list

The Pastor
8th August 2008, 20:42
commuting and touring?

the original question asked which was the best SPORTS bike.

commuting and touring are bottom of the list

The question was best all round sports bike. meaning a sports bike that can do everything.

As you were.

idleidolidyll
8th August 2008, 21:02
The question was best all round sports bike. meaning a sports bike that can do everything.

As you were.

yep, best all round SPORT bike.

the words commuter and tourer were absent:

quote: "looking to buy a 250 sport bike. Wondering your opinions on the best allround bike... Value for money? Best performer? Best engine/drivetrain? Reliability? Resale value?"

you're welcome to your own conclusions, to me, a sport bike has nothing to do with commuting or touring.
the emphasis on the performance, engine and drivetrain point sport and everyone wants reliability

sport bikes are for 100-500km day rides and the odd weekend away.......perhaps for a few wheelies and stoppies in town too

imo, touring is a little relevant but barely and commuting? who cares?

The Pastor
8th August 2008, 21:18
2 strokes are only good on the track

Jerry74
13th August 2008, 21:59
ZXR 250 is the only way to go

The Pastor
13th August 2008, 22:56
yeah performance wise zxr=cbr but cbr has better reliabilty

Ragingrob
13th August 2008, 23:09
Lol Scott, good to see you've been defending cbr's for the entire 6 pages! Wicked!

The Pastor
15th August 2008, 16:41
Lol Scott, good to see you've been defending cbr's for the entire 6 pages! Wicked!
hows the viffer coming along anyways?

Ragingrob
16th August 2008, 15:12
hows the viffer coming along anyways?

Beautifully mate, beautifully. Love riding it no matter where, when, or why.

The Pastor
16th August 2008, 17:11
you sound like your enjoying it, keep it up!

vtec
21st August 2008, 19:05
Aprilia RS250 is quicker but will use close to twice as much fuel, will cost more than twice as much to keep running (maintenance and oil), and you need to throw them away in half as many k's as the CBR250RR. Not to mention how much it pisses you off when they foul plugs and drop to one cylinder. And the CBR250RR is more comfortable to ride, and brakes just as well, and corners nearly as well. CBR is at least 20kg's heavier.

Would still like to have an RS250 if I was rich. I love small bikes.

Touring does come into it. I want to go long distances on any bike that I own, so i can ride it to track days or show it off when I go to see family in other cities. You can't trust a two stroke long distance. They hate sitting at the same rev's all day, they love to have the shit blown out of them.

For use on a daily basis, the CBR is far superior. People even use them to courier on sometimes (I have and I know of others). Which is the ultimate test of usability.

Irontusk
27th August 2008, 22:04
I've had a look through the thread, and didn't see it anywhere.. so the CBR250s (of any variety) have fake ram intakes (what a rip off), are the ZXR250s the same??

Yeah the cam driven gears are good (the ZXRs I looked at sounded like the cam chain might've been a 'bit' loose) but I think the ZXRs just look better, provided they aren't that bright green colour (yes, I know some people like it).
I would've gone for a ZXR if I could've found one that wasn't fucked or nearly $6000 with high Ks.

megaphat
28th August 2008, 20:33
CBR250's will also foul plugs if they've been sitting around for a couple of months (and fuel tap is on). But plugs are cheap, and its a good excuse to ride ;).

Its easier getting parts and workshop guides for the CBR250RR than most other imported 250's, because honda officially imported them to Au.
I get about 4.3L/100km on my cbr250rr on the highway at 120km/h. High 3's when you go slower.
City traffic brings it up a bit (5's).

Comfort? Well, my right hand does go a bit numb after an hour. But I'm new to riding. Shake it around a bit and its better.

Ram intakes? Well I'm not sure how much ram air you would get at 250cc speeds. Someone in another forum mentioned they appear to draft over the carburetors (on the RR) and don't really do much if anything.

I recommend the CBR250RR. I do two 100km commutes a week. It starts easily, generally without choke. Once you get the hang of positioning the throttle, you virtually never need choke.

Seat warms up in slow/stationary traffic. Fortunately the bike has a thermo fan, which keeps the engine within limits.

Oh and 19,000rpm is fun, although peak power is around 15-16k rpm.

Jerry74
28th August 2008, 20:43
My NSR was some fun, Kawasaki 250's are bloody good too

vtec
29th August 2008, 16:05
I've had a look through the thread, and didn't see it anywhere.. so the CBR250s (of any variety) have fake ram intakes (what a rip off), are the ZXR250s the same??

Yeah the cam driven gears are good (the ZXRs I looked at sounded like the cam chain might've been a 'bit' loose) but I think the ZXRs just look better, provided they aren't that bright green colour (yes, I know some people like it).
I would've gone for a ZXR if I could've found one that wasn't fucked or nearly $6000 with high Ks.

Yeah, ZXR's ram air's are fake too. Lame aye. The CBR feels like a smaller bike which I prefer. Give's you the Rossi/Stroud effect on the bike (you look like spiderman when racing round a track, and feels more like the GP bikes).

CBR250's will also foul plugs if they've been sitting around for a couple of months (and fuel tap is on). But plugs are cheap, and its a good excuse to ride .

That shouldn't foul your plugs?? Could however clog your carbs with fuel residue. That reminds me, I haven't started my race CBR250 in a few months. Next race is october at Winton. Plus the tap is vacuum activated also, when the engines not running it's meant to stop flowing. But leave any carbs sitting with crap in them for a while, and you'll get build ups.

Irontusk
29th August 2008, 20:33
Yeah, ZXR's ram air's are fake too. Lame aye.

What a rip off! Shit that annoys me.. The ZXR ones look so good too, that's pretty much what made me want a ZXR over any other sports bike :niceone: Oh well it wasn't what I ended up getting anyway, so no harm done!
Saw a real nice black one last night though.. (and I think tonight too, but I only caught a real short look as I rode past) and when I heard it take off it made me want two bikes :headbang:

Jerry74
29th August 2008, 21:04
ZXR, CBR, NSR all good 250's trust me I have owned them all.

Like my ZR250 Balius too it goes real well for a naked 250

aewilliam
30th August 2008, 17:16
Own a 2003 RS250 and an 2007 ER6N (650cc)...
Strangely, I find the ER6 easier to handle around corners than the RS - eventhough on paper the ER6 has got 30kg or so of chub extra. Centre of Gravity...the ER6 must have bigger and lower hanging ballz than the RS.

Had a fang on a mates FZR, felt easier to ride than the RS as well - the 250 4's i hav fanged (CBR/FZR/ZXR/Hornet) all seem to ride alot lower than the RS. Could be the reason. Never went bendy with the FZR tho, so no ideas on the handling. But really NOTHING compares to the rush when you hit the RS/RGV powerband.

Went slightly bendy with an RGV, which has a similar ride to the 250 4's.

If money (fuel...argh! 8l /100km!!! on the RS!!!) was no problem, and I had the choice of the 2smoker vs the 4's - it would be the 2s no questions.

And the RGV vs RS?
My RS is in the workshop at the mo (for 8months out of the 13 or so I have had it...Nope, not engine...rear shock - damn Jappa track racers wannabes and their offset swingarms!!!) so she will NEVER hear a word of this aight you boys&gals?
I would go for the RGV. If only they made RGVs in 2003 like they did the RS and so would have been able to take out mechnical insurance!

So yeah, my bit would be to say "Late-model" RGV.

glice
31st August 2008, 16:10
Yeah, ZXR's ram air's are fake too. Lame aye. The CBR feels like a smaller bike which I prefer. Give's you the Rossi/Stroud effect on the bike (you look like spiderman when racing round a track, and feels more like the GP bikes).

That shouldn't foul your plugs?? Could however clog your carbs with fuel residue. That reminds me, I haven't started my race CBR250 in a few months. Next race is october at Winton. Plus the tap is vacuum activated also, when the engines not running it's meant to stop flowing. But leave any carbs sitting with crap in them for a while, and you'll get build ups.

what did you do the cbr to prepare for racing?

mine doesnt foul plugs, and they arnt cheap at 16 per plug

vtec
1st September 2008, 14:58
To prepare it for racing, I put on some good tyres, lockwired the sump plug and oilfilter, put water with race additive in the cooling system, removed the lights and stand, and twisted the throttle really hard. It's a great little racer standard. Not many a 400 can beat me on Taupo.
Check these results:
http://www.silver-bullet.co.nz/eventresults.php?eventid=5510&cid=117

hehe
I love posting that up... 1 CBR250 in the F3 field.

glice
2nd September 2008, 15:33
To prepare it for racing, I put on some good tyres, lockwired the sump plug and oilfilter, put water with race additive in the cooling system, removed the lights and stand, and twisted the throttle really hard. It's a great little racer standard. Not many a 400 can beat me on Taupo.
Check these results:
http://www.silver-bullet.co.nz/eventresults.php?eventid=5510&cid=117

hehe
I love posting that up... 1 CBR250 in the F3 field.

yea I guessed that would be all. I've done afew track days on mine and wasnt embarased too much by some faster bikes, its just annoying on the straights.