PDA

View Full Version : Cam chain adjustment

fallofalot
28th April 2007, 22:08
Can Anyone tell me the correct procedure for adjusting the cam chain on my old CB125 twin bucket motor.

I just took down the top of the motor, and put it back together. The cam chain is jumping the sprocket, I suspect it's incorrectly adjusted. At the base of the cylinders is a square adjuster and locknut and a second locking bolt at the top of the cylinders.

Cheers
Steve

bumsex
2nd May 2007, 12:23
you need a fine threaded small bolt that you used to be able to find in the tail lights of older cars. You insert and screw this onto the recess in the centre of the locknut assembly. Slacken off the locknout and move the screw up and down. this is how its done.
you will have to readjust camchain tension once engine is togather again (go by ear)
you are best to ask someone like Motu adout this (don't take everything written here as gospel)

Chris

tri boy
2nd May 2007, 21:20
you need a fine threaded small bolt that you used to be able to find in the tail lights of older cars. You insert and screw this onto the recess in the centre of the locknut assembly. Slacken off the locknout and move the screw up and down. this is how its done.
you will have to readjust camchain tension once engine is togather again (go by ear)

I think the thread of the screw/bolt is 3mmx0.7mm.
A thread cutting tap of the same pitch can be used.
If it sounds rattly or jumps the cam gear, you'r up for new chain, tensioner, and probably sprockets.
Good luck.:mellow:

SHELRACING
2nd May 2007, 22:58
Thanks for the replies.

Think I have it sorted. I recall some of the old hondas you could adjust the tension while the motor was idling. Not in this case tho....

Anyway I've just refitted the motor and should be running again tomorrow.

(fallofalot)