PDA

View Full Version : Wellington: Classic Motorcycle Show

Steam
29th April 2007, 14:04
This thread was for the 2007 show, so go and start a new thread somewhere else for this year's one.
2007 Classic Motorcycle Show
Saturday 26 May, 10am-4pm
Sunday 27 May 10am-3pm

Lower Hutt Horticultural Hall
Laings Road, Lower Hutt
$7 Adults
$5 Seniors
Children under 14 free.

British Motorcycle Spares will have a major stall on site.

Run by the Wellington Classic Motorcycle Club, a fundraiser for Plunket.
For details phone James 021-436-401 or John (04) 478-3969

Click the thumbnail below for the flyer

Grub
29th April 2007, 17:49
Ahhh ... so is this the one that Nasty thought was on today?

Steam
29th April 2007, 17:51
Ahhh ... so is this the one that Nasty thought was on today?

Yep, I went there today and there was a Evangelical Church meeting inside, lots of singing and holding hands up high for the glory of the Lord. Praise His name!
But the info centre across the road put me right for the 26th.:yes:

Grub
29th April 2007, 17:56
Yep, I went there today and there was a Evangelical Church meeting inside, lots of singing and holding hands up high for the glory of the Lord. Praise His name!

It doesn't take much changing does it for it to be typical of any Sunday afternoon at the top of the Takas ...

Yep, I went there today and there was a Kiwi Bikers meeting, lots of singing and waving hands up high for the glory of the Bike.

Paul in NZ
29th April 2007, 18:43
Yes - you all better come and support the lads or we will come 'round and drip oil on your driveways and tell 14 hour tales of life back in the day....

jonbuoy
29th April 2007, 18:50
Any plans for an Auckland one?

Paul in NZ
29th April 2007, 19:01
Dunno - you coulds ask the akl classic club. This is a local club effort and I can promise some cool and rare old bikes (some genuinely interesting bikes). Plus its for a charity....

I'll be on duty.... :sunny:

jonbuoy
29th April 2007, 19:06
Would like to go down - I just took a couple of days off work too dammit. I could have spent some money there.

david.visser
29th April 2007, 19:38
I will be sure to be there - sounds like it will be great

Nasty
30th April 2007, 14:25
Sounds like fun to me .. I should think that I could convince the grub is a good waste of an afternoon .. or he could mow the lawns ;)

elle-f
30th April 2007, 20:43
How old does a bike have to be to be a classic?

Steam
30th April 2007, 20:52

A vehicle over 25 years old. Classics are made between 25 and 50 years ago. Older than that and they're "antique"
My GN250 will qualify in just four more years!

riffer
30th April 2007, 20:52
30 years innit?

The riffer clan will be there. :yes:

Paul in NZ
30th April 2007, 21:01

The club rules are very clear on this point....

1980 or earlier OR anything you feel brave enough to turn up on......

Jim2 will attest that they are a very accomodating and welcoming lot, not at all sniffy and you should see some very cool bikes (no - mine won't be there - not good enough)

Steam
30th April 2007, 21:13
(no - mine won't be there - not good enough)

!!!!!!!????

Motu
30th April 2007, 21:16
(no - mine won't be there - not good enough)

I'm sure you should do well in the Rat Bike contest........:dodge:

Paul in NZ
30th April 2007, 21:43
I'm sure you should do well in the Rat Bike contest........:dodge:

Yeah - got a honda that should scoop that one eh?:third:

Paul in NZ
30th April 2007, 21:45
!!!!!!!????

Ha - thanks - made me smile... 'good' is a relative term... On the sunday ride were two beat up old classics that had just been ridden from China to Holland... Whats more worthy?

Trust me - if you are interested in bikes or history come and invest $7

Smoggie
1st May 2007, 00:00
A worthy event to part with my scheckels.

ceebie13
3rd May 2007, 11:41
Classics are made between 25 and 50 years ago. Older than that and they're "antique"

Fark!! I'll be on The Antiques Roadshow soon!

nudemetalz
23rd May 2007, 16:19
Well I have "Uma", my unrestored 1963 Yamaha YG-1.
I should have got her in the show.

Bonez
23rd May 2007, 18:09
A vehicle over 25 years old. Classics are made between 25 and 50 years ago. Shit time flys. Hmmm, 4 classics on the property then.

Paul in NZ
23rd May 2007, 19:40
Should be a good show folks - come along, it will be $7 well spent!

drbob
25th May 2007, 11:26
how come i cant download the flyer ...i could have stuck a couple up at work, local cafe and the like try and get a few people along but the link wont let me in..

Steam
25th May 2007, 11:27
OOh, this will be a motorcycling weekend for me...

1) Classics show
2) Watching buckets on Sunday
3) Start disassembling engine on Saturday.
4) General riding about.

Hurrah!

Paul in NZ
25th May 2007, 12:27
how come i cant download the flyer ...i could have stuck a couple up at work, local cafe and the like try and get a few people along but the link wont let me in..

Same issue for me - oh well - come along anyway!

Nasty
26th May 2007, 21:01
What an awesome show ... had a great time inside looking at the amazing array of bikes ... just being there and taking it all in was fantastic ... then outside looking at all the bikes that people had ridden to the show ... another show on its own.:yes:

Grub
26th May 2007, 21:15
And don't forget all the KBers we met in there ... and we wetre only there for an hour!

Paul in NZ
26th May 2007, 21:53
And don't forget all the KBers we met in there ... and we wetre only there for an hour!

Nice to see you both there! Sorry I got disconnected but - well there was a lot going on eh?

Folks - fer goodness sake. $7?? Far out - half these bikes you will only ever get to see in books! Get along there and come say hi. I'll be hovering around the Wellington Classic Club stand and will even run a movie of your choice!

Our charity of choice is Plunket! WONDERFUL food availiable....

Don't miss this event!!!!!

Baldyheed
27th May 2007, 06:20
Excellent show. Might even pop over there again today, as there is bound to be a bike I missed.

nudemetalz
27th May 2007, 16:29
Was a great show. Saw awesome machines there, some restored to perfection. I just wished I'd taken my camera.
Bridget & I finally got to meet Paul (In NZ). You did a great job on the videos :)

NDMz
PS: - The white Mach 111 made me nearly pass out from my excessive drooling !!!

Paul in NZ
27th May 2007, 17:27
Was a great show. Saw awesome machines there, some restored to perfection. I just wished I'd taken my camera.
Bridget & I finally got to meet Paul (In NZ). You did a great job on the videos :)

NDMz
PS: - The white Mach 111 made me nearly pass out from my excessive drooling !!!

Good to meet you folks!!

Mate - that bike would find a place in my shed any day - gorgeously mad!

If you didn't make the show I will post some pictures later but honestly for $7 it was the bargain of the year. The breadth of bikes on display was amazing - Choppers to trail bikes, scooters to crusty old classics, barn found to polished.

Cheers

Steam
27th May 2007, 17:33
These were my faves. It was nice to see bikes there that were not shiny, but oily and ratty. My total fave was the 1950 triumph thunderbird 650cc (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62129&d=1180243217)
although the thing with the aluminum sidecar (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62127&d=1180243195) was cool too. I see that everywhere. Again here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62126&d=1180243195)

Paul in NZ
27th May 2007, 19:50
Ah! A man of TASTE!

Bryces Thunderbird in the care of Joe H.... Coolest bike!

Paul in NZ
27th May 2007, 20:04
OK - Some Pictures...

Paul in NZ
27th May 2007, 20:05
A couple more for tonight!

merv
27th May 2007, 20:06
I just wished I'd taken my camera.
:)

Having got back from Perth yesterday I was still sorta on their time and got up and had breakfast about noon then went over to the show from 1 until 3 with a couple of nice ladies, one being Mrs merv armed with her camera. Now I never got a pic of the white Mach III because bloody hell the memory card was full by then she already had so much stuff on her camera and there I was about to take its pic as we were leaving and "sorry no memory".

Here are a few photos we took for you to see if you didn't make the visit. Saw Paul for a while, LB (and Hamish) and Re-cycled to name a few KBers.

merv
27th May 2007, 20:15
OK I see Paul is posting pics too and he got one of the Mach III.

The chopper with the extremely high pipes was something else - the kinda bike white trash would ride (in the States eh)!!

nudemetalz
27th May 2007, 20:19
Thanks Paul.
You got a pic of the Mach111 for me.
Cheers for the thought too, Merv :)
That bike is absolutely flawless, looking like it just arrived from Kawasaki Heavy Industries, 1970.

Incidentally, what machine got the People's Choice?
(I,...errr...voted for a nice 3 cylinder 2-stroke...)

sinned
27th May 2007, 20:22
I was an excellent show. On display was a Yamaha YDS3 250. A YDS3 was the second bike I owned and sold back in 1970: I should have kept it. Here is a pic.

Steam
27th May 2007, 20:27
A couple more for tonight!

Who won people's choice??

merv
27th May 2007, 20:27
Some handsome guys did turn up to see the bikes.

Love the posters!

ALF was there too; do you think he'd join KB?

Paul in NZ
27th May 2007, 20:30
Who won people's choice??

Sorry guys - I'll find out but I was busy packing up my screens etc so I could get home - it was a loooong weekend!

Paul in NZ
27th May 2007, 20:44
Forgot to mention....

ALWAYS remember that these shows are put on my rank amatuers risking their OWN money to raise funds for the likes of Plunket etc. Ordinary people going to a great deal of bother to bring your a world class exhibition of wonderful bikes for a lousy $7.. You can't imagine the effort that goes into it... REALLY - Lots of late nights...

Thanks for all those that went! I reckon it was outstanding value!

Big ups to the organisers and all the helpers and THANK you for caring enough! We all bitch about the state of our 'modern' world - nice to see people doing something!!!!

merv
27th May 2007, 21:12
OK back again and here's a few more pics for ya.

The Steve Roberts aluminium Suzuki still looks cool.

When I had my A100 I so wanted a T350 or an RD350.

merv
27th May 2007, 21:20
Still a few more pics for ya. It certainly was quite a good show with a wide range of makes and models.

dogsnbikes
27th May 2007, 21:25
Went on saturday and ejoyed it alot....spent a while talking to Des Molloy...what a great guy he is was well worth the trip from Palmy

merv
27th May 2007, 21:27
Even more pics.

merv
27th May 2007, 21:31
Here's our last few pics.

nudemetalz
27th May 2007, 21:35
Forgot to mention....

ALWAYS remember that these shows are put on my rank amatuers risking their OWN money to raise funds for the likes of Plunket etc. Ordinary people going to a great deal of bother to bring your a world class exhibition of wonderful bikes for a lousy $7.. You can't imagine the effort that goes into it... REALLY - Lots of late nights...

Big ups to the organisers and all the helpers and THANK you for caring enough! We all bitch about the state of our 'modern' world - nice to see people doing something!!!!

AND....on behalf of us KB'ers that attended, thanks Paul for helping organise a brilliant show.

Shadows
27th May 2007, 21:38
Forgot to mention....

That was a great show. Plenty of machines that their owners can be very proud of... that's for sure. $7 was almost too cheap!

Maybe the council will give a discount on the venue hire - considering that they got their floorboards oiled for free. :msn-wink:

bert_is_evil
28th May 2007, 09:10
Oh now I'm sooooo gutted I didn't make it (went on a ride instead). Did anyone spot a pre-featherbed Manx Norton (Garden gate frame)?

drbob
28th May 2007, 09:10
dont suppose anyone picked up a sony cybershot camera at the show on saturday
the missus "cant find it"

Paul in NZ
28th May 2007, 09:15
Oh now I'm sooooo gutted I didn't make it (went on a ride instead). Did anyone spot a pre-featherbed Manx Norton (Garden gate frame)?

You mean the plunger 'International' Norton? Yes - it was there and very nice.

bert_is_evil
28th May 2007, 09:19
AAAAhhhhhhggg! If it's the manx I need to get in touch with the guy who owns it, there are only supposed to be 2 in NZ. I wonder if the organisers would be able to put me in touch with him (or pass my details on to him).

drbob
28th May 2007, 09:36
the flat tanker bsa won the peoples choice

sels1
30th May 2007, 20:50
Here's our last few pics.

Good pics Merv. I took quite a few but you seemed to have covered most of it so I wont bother posting them
Great show - well done to the organisers and the folks involved

Plugz 4 Lugz
7th October 2007, 19:09
Hi, we have many enquiries from the Wellington/ Palmerston North area and were wondering if this event is an annual? If so, would you permit us to set up a trade site to make custom made earplugs? and if so, what the cost would be? We are searching for a major event in Wellington. Cheers Sue, Plugz 4 Lugz, 027 659 1583

Nasty
8th October 2007, 07:51
Hi, we have many enquiries from the Wellington/ Palmerston North area and were wondering if this event is an annual? If so, would you permit us to set up a trade site to make custom made earplugs? and if so, what the cost would be? We are searching for a major event in Wellington. Cheers Sue, Plugz 4 Lugz, 027 659 1583

Contact Paul in NZ, hes a member of the group that runs this event.

Paul in NZ
8th October 2007, 08:04

Hi Sue

The event was organised by the Wellington Classic M/C Club. Its not an annual affair but every second year or so I believe.

Next year (2008) the club is organising the National Classic M/C Rally which is quite a large event but maybe not of much interest to the general public. Certainly people do come from all over for it though!

I'm not sure what numbers you need to make it worthwhile? There is the Wairarapa sprint meeting in November?

Cheers

Plugz 4 Lugz
8th October 2007, 20:38
......... I had a squiz and enquiry on this event but it works out we will be double booked. However, the other event could quite well fit in, can you supply some dates and places? Cheers Sue

Plugz 4 Lugz
14th November 2007, 20:11
Could someone please let me know what the 2008 dates are and who the organiser will be please. We would love to be in attendance as an exhibitor as many Wellingtonian riders are seeking earplugs. Cheers Sue 027 659 1583

Beeza
5th December 2007, 16:49
All classic clubs ought to run a 30 year "rolling date" which opens eligibility to new 30 year old machines every year. A cut-off set rigidly in ANY given year cuts off genuine classics from perhaps a year or two later, but lets in dross from a year or two earlier.

Paul in NZ
5th December 2007, 17:12
Next big effort in the National classic rally which is organised by the Wellie classic club...

Contact details here

http://au.geocities.com/wellingtonclassicmcclub/ClubDetails.html

Rule of thumb for a classic is if you are brave enough to turn up on it and call it a classic..

Cheers

Plugz 4 Lugz
5th December 2007, 20:58
.......... Sue 027 659 1583

Next big effort in the National classic rally which is organised by the Wellie classic club...

Contact details here

http://au.geocities.com/wellingtonclassicmcclub/ClubDetails.html

Rule of thumb for a classic is if you are brave enough to turn up on it and call it a classic..

Cheers

GazzaRuney
2nd January 2008, 22:26
Is this for 07 or 08 chaps??!!

wilber
2nd January 2008, 22:44
been and gone sorry was in 07

Paul in NZ
3rd January 2008, 05:48
The last show and the subject of this thread was 07....

However the National Classic Rally will be in Wellington in 08 - look out for that if you have even a half interest in old bikes of any description ;-)

n0regret5
8th March 2008, 09:07
beaut, i'll be there! shame my brother's leaving on the 10th of may for london, his triumph saint would be perfect..
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=68883
its near the bottom on the first page..check it out!!

Steam
8th March 2008, 09:14
This is last year's thread, go away and start a thread for this year's show.