PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Moto GP Travel/Accomodation

Slim
1st September 2004, 11:54
I've decided to shout my man to the Moto GP at Phillip Island courtesy of my Qantas Frequent Flyer points.

I can get flights to arrive at Melbourne at 08:10am Saturday morning & leave 15:30 Monday afternoon.

What do I do for accomodation? Not particularly keen on tenting it at the campground (not because of the tent itself, but all the associated organising/packing/sneaking around it would entail) and I don't mind putting two nights at a hotel or motel on the Visa, but WHERE!?!?!?

Should I just get General Admission tickets for Sat & Sun? Or Grandstand for one day, or a pit pass or what?

And what else do I need to know?

For those that know The Man, please keep your mouth/s shut! Major, HUGE surprise still in the works & not even confirmed yet!!!

Thanks.

Blakamin
1st September 2004, 12:22
Lucky Man!

you might have some probs getting accomodation in the area and its a fair drive from melbourne itself...

you could try a google on the town of cowes as they are the closest... the might have a site with accom..
http://www.accommodationguide.com.au/sitemap/racv/Phillip-Island-Gippsland-Discovery-cowes.shtm

Slim
1st September 2004, 12:30
The Man went to the WSB at Phillip Island when it was rained out & stayed in Melbourne.

He talked about busses to the track - anyone know any more about this?

Motoracer
1st September 2004, 12:32
For those that know The Man, please keep your mouth/s shut! Major, HUGE surprise still in the works & not even confirmed yet!!!

Thanks.
Are you sure that he is not a lurker on KB?

Slim
1st September 2004, 12:36
Are you sure that he is not a lurker on KB?
He is the least computer literate person I know! He only surfs at work, and only if he already has the site address he wants to check out, and this whole forum thing would leave him cold because he's not much of a reader either.

I'll delete the thread once everything's sorted out I think ... just in case.

Pickle
1st September 2004, 13:41
Hi Slim

Check out our replys on Moto GP forum under Racing last page I have listed some web sites to check out all about the moto GP at Phillip Island, has all the info you are looking for.

For a house of your own on the island just type in Phillip Island into any search engine and go to accomadation, Real estate - stockdale & leggo also have access to hloiday houses, worth a look

Good Luck, hope to see you in Cowes on friday nite down by the band beside the wharf :scooter:

Slim
1st September 2004, 14:04
Right.

Flights are booked: we don't arrive until 8am Saturday AM, due to Qantas Frequent Flier available flights, and we fly out Monday afternoon via Sydney.

Just booked the Sat & Sun general admission tickets for the circuit!! :D :D :D

And I've called one of The Man's friends, and I've been put on to friends in Melbourne who might be able to put us up or sort us out.

Shit I'm getting excited now! :D

Funkyfly
1st September 2004, 14:08
I've decided to shout my man to the Moto GP at Phillip Island courtesy of my Qantas Frequent Flyer points.

I can get flights to arrive at Melbourne at 08:10am Saturday morning & leave 15:30 Monday afternoon.

What do I do for accomodation? Not particularly keen on tenting it at the campground (not because of the tent itself, but all the associated organising/packing/sneaking around it would entail) and I don't mind putting two nights at a hotel or motel on the Visa, but WHERE!?!?!?

Should I just get General Admission tickets for Sat & Sun? Or Grandstand for one day, or a pit pass or what?

Thanks.

Whats the plane tickets costing you?

I would be real interested to hear what you expect it to cost all up?

Slim
1st September 2004, 14:13
Whats the plane tickets costing you?

I would be real interested to hear what you expect it to cost all up?
I'm using Qantas frequent flier points to pay for my return tickets & one-way of The Man's ticket, so I'm not the best person to ask I'm afraid.

The taxes on my tickets were horrendous though! $160!!! Fer crying out loud! :blink:

curious george
1st September 2004, 14:26
Just my 2c, but a few I have spoken to said the bus was the best way to go.
No parking hassles, no driving yourself through the traffic jam afterwards.
I can't stand travelling by bus, but it made sense I guess

dangerous
1st September 2004, 19:49
This might be of help if ya get stuck, I have a UK VTR forum user, mate (never meet him but has helped me out heaps with parts) that lives in Melbourne he always seems to help out if he can so email him and ask if he knows of somewere, cos ya just never know ya luck.

stuart.holding@obs.com.au

ps: he knows me as 'DD' from Chch

LB
2nd September 2004, 05:49
I couldn't find any accommodation a few months ago so we've got a camper van. Will stay in Cowes at a camping ground.

There's going to be HEAPS of us over there!

Doug: since you know Cowes, can you give us (meaning all of us KBers who are going over) explicit instructions on where the Friday night meeting place is? Ta.

Pickle
2nd September 2004, 09:43
Lynda you cant miss it, head down the main street of Cowes towards the sea when wet take 2 steps back, turn right and you should be there.
Otherwise just look for the band behind the big fence, there will be a bar & a big row of portable dunnies.

Only 4 weeks and Viv & I will be on our way :beer: :sunny:

Slim
2nd September 2004, 18:46
I've just had this offer from a UK friend:

Lets put it this way he will be working in the suzuki GP garage all weekend, he is John Hopkin's Data Tech Mechanic and im sure you will be more than welcome to have a tour of the garage with him over the weekend.

Major fingers crossed that offer comes to fruition! :2thumbsup

I'm still umming & ahhing about whether to camp on site or not. I've got some calls to make in the next few days & then see what happens.

Blakamin
2nd September 2004, 19:04
WOW!!!! :eek:

Lotsa fotos for us that cant go!

Slim
2nd September 2004, 19:27

Hmmm. Good point.

I'm sure The Man will take his super-dooper camera, but has anyone got a reasonable quality digital camera I could borrow perhaps???

Blakamin
2nd September 2004, 19:34
Hmmm. Good point.

I'm sure The Man will take his super-dooper camera, but has anyone got a reasonable quality digital camera I could borrow perhaps???

If i was in hamilton you could take mine..... might be able to ship it to you closer to the day.... pry the mrs away from taking baby photos might be hard tho :mellow:

Pickle
2nd September 2004, 20:21

We will be taking heaps of photo's at the GP as well as the National Motorcycle Museum in Tamworth ( country music capital of Aus ) at least it's got something going for it.
I'm sure kiwizrx will also take heaps of digital photos.

denill
2nd September 2004, 20:36
We have booked a campervan and a site at Highlands. (On the trackside.)

Stayed there in '02 and it worked out great. Get to a good vantage point in the morning. No traffic to fight with after racing and cruise into Cowes any time later.

If it is any help, the website we booked from is at http://www.calypsocampervans.com.au/2003/3-4frame.htm

Shopped around and they were the cheapest. Cheaper than the rental we had in '02

BillW

Slim
2nd September 2004, 20:53
That's gotta be better than tenting it. Thanks for the link, Bill. Will be a good fallback if The Man's friends are no longer in town. The airport pickup makes it that much more attractive.

:niceone:

Slim
3rd September 2004, 22:33
Managed to get hold of the friends in Melbourne, but they're going to be away on holiday themselves!!!

So I've just e-mailed the campervan place - thanks denill. :)

LB
4th September 2004, 06:04
If i was in hamilton you could take mine..... might be able to ship it to you closer to the day.... pry the mrs away from taking baby photos might be hard tho :mellow:
Blakamin: I could deliver to Slim if you like? (we're going to the GP)

andy1
4th September 2004, 07:15
Hey if anyone wants they should bid on 2 paddock pass of the auzzie GP.
here`s a link. Still 30days left tho...
http://www.riders.org/2003/auctions/viewitem.php?lotid=1320

* im leading the motegi bid!!! only 3more days!!! And its only up to 50 euro!!!! looks good! :eek: :whocares:

Laterz

denill
4th September 2004, 08:42
Managed to get hold of the friends in Melbourne, but they're going to be away on holiday themselves!!!

Hey that's great.
Where do they leave the key?? :niceone: :niceone:
Cheers
BillW

Paul in NZ
4th September 2004, 09:49
There is a guy on the AIGOR list advertising 2 night accom. You want me to find the email addy??

Don't know the guy but if he is a Guzzi owner he must be OK!

Cheers

Blakamin
4th September 2004, 11:56
Blakamin: I could deliver to Slim if you like? (we're going to the GP)

Will try to sort sumfin with the mrs

Slim
4th September 2004, 16:18
Don't worry about the camera at this stage, Blakamin. I'll see if I can wangle the bosses digital camera out of him first. ;)

Paul in NZ - 2 nights accomodation where, exactly?

Slim
7th September 2004, 12:21
Thanks to Denill, I have just secured The Last available campervan for the MotoGP weekend!!! Deposit done & sorted out the airport pickup too. :banana: I've just sent away the last e-mail to secure camping at the track for us. Fingers crossed....

The Man's best friend, a NZer now living/farming in Tasmania, called me yesterday to say he'll meet us at Melbourne airport & he's coming too! :D This cunning plan has come together so easily, in the end, that I'm really looking forward to it myself. :2thumbsup

5.5 weeks to go. :D

Blakamin
7th September 2004, 12:43
Don't worry about the camera at this stage, Blakamin. I'll see if I can wangle the bosses digital camera out of him first. ;)

Paul in NZ - 2 nights accomodation where, exactly?

No worries!

a kiwi in tasmania??? has he grown his spare head yet? :msn-wink:

Slim
7th September 2004, 13:22
a kiwi in tasmania??? has he grown his spare head yet? :msn-wink:
I don't know, but I'm sure he'll have an overly developed tongue from all the arse-licking he would have had to do with his wife to get the weekend away to join us! :blink:

DEATH_INC.
8th September 2004, 19:32
You shoulda camped at the trackside campground,it's half the fun of being there,Fireworks,piss drinking,burnouts in the shower blocks,piss drinking,otto burning,piss drinking,bands,piss drinking.......all part of the adventure :laugh:

Slim
9th September 2004, 09:32
You shoulda camped at the trackside campground,it's half the fun of being there,Fireworks,piss drinking,burnouts in the shower blocks,piss drinking,otto burning,piss drinking,bands,piss drinking.......all part of the adventure :laugh:
Nah. I couldn't be bothered trying to find a tent, plus having to pack/lug sleeping bags, etc, etc.

And never you mind! There'll be plenty of piss drinking & sky larking in the Highside campground I'm sure!!!! :Punk: :apint: :drinknsin

denill
9th September 2004, 12:48
You shoulda camped at the trackside campground,it's half the fun of being there:

Hey, Highside is just a short walk to the action anyhow. And when you want to get some sleep - you can.

Slim
14th September 2004, 08:50
Decided to check The Man's passport on Friday night .... luckily!!! :thud:

It expired in September 2001 - 6 months after he went to the (rained out) WSB racing at Phillip Island!

But I managed to get away without telling him anything about the trip, simply that he HAD to get a passport ASAP. I even picked up the forms for him at a travel agents in town on Saturday morning, took him to get new photos on Sunday, helped him fill in the form and offered to pay for it, since it's all my fault that he needs one now anyway (he declined this offer).

And later on Friday night, he popped out with, "We're going to the MotoGP next year," while we were drinking with a friend of his (I had to look away, for fear that the huge grin I was repressing should actually manage to spread across my face!) and while they were reminiscing over photo's, he said something to the effect that it would be great when I finally got to meet his best friend, Blur. Another grin was successfully repressed, since The Man doesn't realise that I've had 3 chats with Blur on the phone, in the process of sorting out his surprise. :D :D :D

Only 5 more weeks to be stubborn about not telling him where we're going or when. :shutup:

Blakamin
14th September 2004, 09:18
Only 5 more weeks to be stubborn about not telling him where we're going or when. :shutup:
Good luck!!!

and well done with the passport and keeping a straight face! :shutup:

Marknz
14th September 2004, 09:24
Decided to check The Man's passport on Friday night .... luckily!!! :thud:

It expired in September 2001 - 6 months after he went to the (rained out) WSB racing at Phillip Island!

But I managed to get away without telling him anything about the trip, simply that he HAD to get a passport ASAP. I even picked up the forms for him at a travel agents in town on Saturday morning, took him to get new photos on Sunday, helped him fill in the form and offered to pay for it, since it's all my fault that he needs one now anyway (he declined this offer).

And later on Friday night, he popped out with, "We're going to the MotoGP next year," while we were drinking with a friend of his (I had to look away, for fear that the huge grin I was repressing should actually manage to spread across my face!) and while they were reminiscing over photo's, he said something to the effect that it would be great when I finally got to meet his best friend, Blur. Another grin was successfully repressed, since The Man doesn't realise that I've had 3 chats with Blur on the phone, in the process of sorting out his surprise. :D :D :D

Good effort Slim. Now why can't I find a woman who organise a weekend away at the races for me ;-?

DEATH_INC.
14th September 2004, 19:25
Hey, Highside is just a short walk to the action anyhow. And when you want to get some sleep - you can.
Sleep?Wassat???

LB
15th September 2004, 05:47
Phew - that must have been a minties moment when you saw the date on the p/port!!

Slim
20th September 2004, 10:24
Phew - that must have been a minties moment when you saw the date on the p/port!!
I didn't know what to do there for a few minutes! I thought it would be :bye: to the whole surprise, but he let me get away with, "I don't want to tell you." :niceone:

4 weeks and counting!

Slim
4th October 2004, 04:51
The passport arrived just over a week ago. :2thumbsup

The Man generally doesn't bring the topic up, but if something happens to remind him, or one of the people who know about it say something to him, then he'll ask me "when" and "where" and "Do I need to take leave?"

So I was quite surprised to discover that he'd been talking to a friend here in Hamilton about it over the weekend. Apparently, he is hoping that I'm taking him to Phillip Island but still doesn't actually know for sure. So I've been trying to put him off the scent with talk about needing swimming trunks, 2 weeks vacation and getting a tan on a Pacific Island. :sly:

Less than two weeks to go. :shutup: