PDA

View Full Version : Anyone removed the baffle from an Akrapovic?

MD
29th April 2007, 19:21
I fitted an Akrapovic muffler with what appeared to be a removable baffle at the exit end. I had my first ride with the new pipe on today and it's added some pleasant go juice to the bike but with hardly any extra noise at all. Now I don't want a loud pipe but expected more than the feeble increase I got.
I undid the retaining screw thinking the baffle would just slide on out but it seems to be rock solid attached? I was hoping to remove the baffle, hack a bit off it and re-insert.
Does anyone know if you have to break the rivets around the end can? If so I wont bother. Bugger bugger.

merv
29th April 2007, 19:28
Man just keep it quiet and be the silent assassin.

Hitcher
29th April 2007, 20:41
Swap it for a TBR.

Sensei
29th April 2007, 20:45
Just check it hasn't got a small Tack weld on it somewhere , found the Arrow mufflers had this when you tryed to remove thier Buffles

imdying
29th April 2007, 20:47
The baffles in my Microns were pretty tight in there (presumably so they don't rattle) and needed a good tug with a pair of pliers to get them out.

MD
29th April 2007, 21:18
Thanks guys. I thought about getting the pliers out but the idea of stuffing up a pristine new muffler with scratches or damaging something I was overlooking (like a hidden tack weld) put me off. Will have anothe rlook in daylight or ask the shop next time I'm in to loosen it - that way I hopefully wont ruin the warranty by playing home butcher mechanic with pliers

Edit- well I gave in and used brute force to loosen it. hey presto out it came. Only ran it for a few seconds without the baffle and as I suspected too loud and not that nice a sound. Drilled a hole in the small end-cap down inside the baffle. A bit better. Atleast now I can play with the baffle to find a happy medium noise.