PDA

View Full Version : Jim2 and Paul in NZ learn about the war...

Paul in NZ
29th April 2007, 19:32
Jim2 came with me on the Wellington Classic Motorcycle Clubs monthly ride. In the winter months they are shorter rides but always to interesting places with some sort of theme or point... They really are excellent fun and this month was part 2 of the Wellington Fortifications ride. Basically a club member is keen local military historial and there are stops at places of interest - of which there are many in Wellington.... The high point was a special tour of Wrights Hill fortress and then the gun emplacements above Makara. We were allowed to ride right up to these places as we had special access and the Makara ones are usually hard to get to. Lotsa riding over paddocks etc to unusual and senic places and the informed comentary was excellent.

On the way home - Jim2 got to ride a proper bike and I got to give birth to a pumkin.

Fun, imformative and a buncha cooool bikes....

James Deuce
29th April 2007, 19:33
I've long since learned that one doesn't turn down ride invitations from a certain Paul in NZ chappy, especially spur of the moment ones.

There are are a number of reasons, one of which involve a horse's head, so I dutifully responded in the affirmative.

After confusing the War Memorial with the Cenotaph and being redirected by a totally random (and very nice) chap on a TRX, I found myself inserted into a mass of eclectic humanity, ranging in age from 10 or 11 through to about 111 (sorry Mr Huurdeman). I could get to like this. I'm younger than the average age of the group, and I'm "normal". Sweet!

Passing comments like, "This is the easiest group ride I've ever been on - just follow the old people on the weird bikes" seemed appropriate at the time, believe me. It may have been weird people on old bikes. Either way, the fact that the comment was greeted in good humour tended to confirm Paul's assessment of the average Classic Club run as being good fun.

The briefing was conducted by a chap in WWII Russian Army regalia. He rides a Ural outfit - ring any bells Wellington people? He's a bloody good MC and had gone to a lot of trouble preparing for today's themed ride, the theme of which was: Wellington's WWII fortifications.

The ride started with the Mt Cook Military site, which is basically the area immediately surrounding the War Memorial. Air raid shelters, command posts, Fighter Control centre's Prisons, Police Barracks, brick works, you name it, it's been on that site. HMNZS Olphert is of course the last active military site there, but the history and the hidden constructions in the area are fascinating.

So is a BSA Bantam with an X7 spannie and a GL145 front disc and master cylinder.

From there, the Commie in the Ural took us to Aro Valley.

We took in the Mitchelltown WWI Memorial too. Man those Petersen's were THE unluckiest family ever. Bugger Private Ryan, someone give these people a leg up! 3 Dead, one wounded. We got a quick lecture on Dr Bill Sutch (look it up - Google is your friend), the Russian embassy and how Taxis disappear in rain bursts.

The last time I went to Wright's Hill it was a total mess. The volunteers working on the restoration are working miracles though and the chap giving us the tour was very knowledgeable (if a bit cynical about Government support) and was so incredibly obsessed with Wellington's Military history he made the Classic Club guys look like people who were mildly interested in powered transport. From Blast Traps, to resin sealing, the workings of a magazine for a 9.3in gun, everything had an excellent tale attached to it.

From there we went to Fort Opau. Normally Coastal Battery fortifications are given a battery number, but for some reason, unfathomable to the modern civilian mind, NZ's WWII Army decided to call it Fort Opau. See? I learned stuff.

To get to Fort Opau involved the Makara rd. Sigh. What a damn shame. 50 km/hr. I haven't been out there since it was a mix of 70 km/hr and 100 km/hr. That road never used to be THAT long. It used to be fun and challenging on my RG250. The Zed just went "YAWN". Might be the rose tinted spectacles of deeds past making me faster and slimmer than I really was.

As usual the Makara Model School failed to deliver the expected result that name conjures; it isn't built to scale, nor is Giselle Bundchen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gisele_B%C3%BCndchen) a crossing guard, Elle Macpherson the principal (bend over you naughty boy), and Naomi Campbell wasn't standing by the road side hurling cellphones at passersby.

Instead of turning right and heading to Johnsonville at the end of the Makara road we turned left, and then left again up Opau Rd. Which became Opau track, and then Opau there's a bit of sprinkled gravel and then Opau damp-grass-too-narrow-to-be-a-field-thing. Then it became Opau Oh-My-God that is beautiful. Two 6in gun emplacements, an OP (Observation Post) and plotting room, a Command Post, and a radar plinth. All looking out to the Sth Cook St, iron gray Tasman Sea, the South Island, and all around us the most beautiful, rugged landscape you could imagine. The Islands didn't line up "right" either, reinforcing the fact that after living here in the Wellington Region for 20 years I was somewhere I'd never been before.

I'd had a warning on the way up that damp grass, 100HP, and 180 section tyres don't really mix. A bike stalled in front of me, so I stopped 'til he got going again. We were on a slight uphill incline and when I went to pull away I popped the clutch and stayed dead still. That's not right. I little bit more throttle had me going sideways. Doh. Little bit of clutch and off we went. The guy two up on the Triumph America behind wasn't bothered about being sprayed in grass and mud, thank goodness.

On the way down. Classic bike to the left of me, Classic bike to the right, all of them going relatively quickly thanks to narrow tyres, low weight, and grunty little engines. I gassed it a little as I went over a lump of clay in the middle of the grass track. You know, bit of a jolt, throttle twitches. Twitched enough to throw the back out 20 degrees or so, the panic throttle off chucked it the other way and the throttle on (a leetle teeny beet) caught it and off we went. Really slowly. Classic bike guy behind me goes past laughing .

Got to the bottom of Opau Rd, and Paul in NZ says, "want a go?"

"What, really?", says I.

"Yes", he says.

"Hurry up and fucking get off", I say.

Kick starting. How many of you have ONLY ever kick started a two-stroke (I puts my hand up I does). Clutch in doesn't work. Paul reaches down and spins it over with his teeth or something. I'm not looking I just want to get going.

I stall at the first intersection. Kick start out, tweak, tweak, KICK, vrooom.

Told you I wasn't gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind.

Agggh, gear lever on the right, brake on the left, "ANTICIPATION IS YOUR FRIEND." I'm not quite sure how Paul manages to speak in capitals, but what is clear is that he loves this bike and I better not break anything.

I've never ridden a Triumph. Which is odd, because I'm of an age where everyone's first ride on a big bike was usually a Bonnie or a Commando. Not me. Kawasaki S2, followed by a Suzuki GS1000S. So I'm not tainted by the golden glow of "historic events".

I truly had no idea what to expect.

Reprogramming the feet was not as difficult as I imagined, so long as I took my time with things. Two fingered braking is a good way to crush the the first knuckles of your outside fingers flat. So don't do that. The foot massage was indescribably wonderful, though the vibes could probably get to you over time. Maybe not though. MMmmm massage.

You know how everyone goes on about Modern bike's handling being so much better than the old days? Rubbish I say. With a capital R. Paul's Triumph sways and dives up to, through, and out of corners in a way that modern bikes just can't. Too much weight, too high up. In fact the bloody thing goes around corners by itself, which is very useful when the pilot has a mental dialogue going on that is about using the correct levers and not lugging the engine and not over revving the engine, and why am I in neutral, and why do I slow down when I try to change down then accelerate (GEAR LEVER ON RIGHT MORON). Once the internal dialogue slowed down riding this bike just became huge fun.

I've ridden the Triumph. I didn't crash. Even though that lady at the Johnsonville roundabout thought I was going to. By gum, it was fun. Riding it puts the "Ton Up" boys feats in perspective. They really earned that appellation.

Thanks for the brilliant day Paul and the Wellington Classic Bike Club. I learned stuff about Wellington's history, hung out and breathed the same air as some pretty cool people, found out that Classic Club people are actually one hell of a lot less judgmental than you lot and had more fun than riding over the 'Takas. Again.

Paul in NZ
29th April 2007, 19:36
An arty shot...

Steam
29th April 2007, 19:40
An arty shot...
Jimminy that's a nice shot. It's my new desktop.

Crisis management
29th April 2007, 19:40
An arty shot...

Whatcha mean, theres no naked women anywhere in that pic......

the bikes not bad tho!

merv
29th April 2007, 19:45
Now you've both had trail experience on your scamblers you could come on the next Capital Coast Adventure ride. Here's the last one http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=27185 we got to the Makara site that time.

You'll remember Big Dave rode the new Scrambler on this ride.

merv
29th April 2007, 19:57
Nice one Jim, you boys were so excited you've got two threads going on this.

I always enjoy getting a leg over a British one when I can but then I'll ride anything given the chance and I don't seem to get as many chances you do. You are so young that is why you hadn't ridden a Triumph before.

merv
29th April 2007, 20:19
OK cool, now we got just the one thread.

Glad you had fun.

kiwisfly
29th April 2007, 20:32
Thanks guys for the write up.
Have been to the Wrights Hill complex & Makara over the years & never fails to amaze me when you consider the work & effort thats gone into it & the reasons it was considered in the first place.
Hard case the story of the gun that was never fired in an act of war but tested once which blew out a number of the windows of houses in Karori.

Paul in NZ
29th April 2007, 20:54
Whatcha mean, theres no naked women anywhere in that pic......[/SIZE]

The bikes naked!

Some more piccies from the top..... and a vanity...

Grub
29th April 2007, 21:07
Great pics Paul and a *great* write-up Jim.

Somebody rode a SCOOTER up there??? Brave, very brave.

James Deuce
29th April 2007, 21:09
A Vespa Rally 200 isn't really a scooter, and in fact the little wheels meant it was pretty easy for them. Did we mention the scooter was 2 up? Piloted by a woman? :)

Paul in NZ
29th April 2007, 21:13
Great pics Paul and a *great* write-up Jim.

Somebody rode a SCOOTER up there??? Brave, very brave.

Mate - I'd have taken the light scooter up there over Jims fat tyred 100hp monster (which he has set up supurbly btw). The Vespa was a real one (not a late retro) and it was two up!! The club pres rode up on his early Goldwing with pillion and there was a big BMW tourer, sidecar rigs etc... Great buncha lads - wide variety of bikes - always go some place interesting.

Motu
29th April 2007, 21:14
Looks like we should of stayed another day......or was this why we were quickly turned around and shunted back north?

Thanks for the hospitality man - and I've now seen the ''modest'' Triumph in person,very nice indeed.Linda wasn't going to be led past that without a good look!

sAsLEX
29th April 2007, 21:27
Were they set up for the WWs or was it the Russian threat?

Paul in NZ
29th April 2007, 21:28
Looks like we should of stayed another day......or was this why we were quickly turned around and shunted back north?

Nah - my dealer was droping of a kilo of hash and...

Bah! Next time tell me you are going to arrive and I can clear a room or two. If I'd known you were coming you could have stayed an extra day I'd have browwed a bike and you could have come along on the Trophy - assuming you can still remember how to change gear with the right foot you old goat... ;-)

How was the trip home and Southwards Museum?

Paul N

ps - good to see you guys

Paul in NZ
29th April 2007, 21:29
Were they set up for the WWs or was it the Russian threat?

This was mostly WW2 stuff... Russian scare forts were in the first trip...

merv
29th April 2007, 21:34
Motu you didn't tell us you were hitting Welly!!

Paul in NZ
29th April 2007, 21:36
Motu you didn't tell us you were hitting Welly!!

EXACTLY! ........ Merv would outfitted you... ;-)

Motu
29th April 2007, 21:50
How was the trip home and Southwards Museum?

Oh man,I was in heaven! You weren't far wrong about me having a story about every car.A couple of old Bantam owners picked the Bantam Major to bits.

We stopped again at Wanganui for the night and did the elevator this morning,thanks for the tip.There was absolutely no comment made about the speeding ticket in Tamuranui......I'd much rather take my punishment like a man than the silent treatment.

It was a play it by ear run to Te Papa and back in a week Merv,we had no real route or plan.....but it was my first holiday in 11 years,I am reborn.

Ixion
29th April 2007, 21:53
I thought your bikes were all in storage?

merv
29th April 2007, 21:54
Merv,we had no real route or plan.....but it was my first holiday in 11 years,I am reborn.

Yeah great and well once you're sorted get your bikes ready and with a bit of luck Foreskins will put on another Capital Coast next year and we'll see you at that one.

Will the new boss lend you bikes perhaps?

Paul in NZ
30th April 2007, 09:18
I reckon he needs an old british tirals bike - a Compy AJ or summat?

Ixion
30th April 2007, 12:21
Woz wrong wiv a Beeza Bantam. Nice two stroke, just his cup of tea. (and they actually did quite well in trials in their day - better than they had any right to)

Motu
30th April 2007, 13:10
There are a few Bantam's used in Classic Trials,and they do disgustingly well.They usually have some ancient Suzuki street bike front end grafted on,and a rear sprocket the size of the eyes of the third dog.....I think they use the rear sprocket for extra traction.It doesn't pay to laugh at a man in tweed trousers riding a Bantam brush painted with Dulux Higloss.

No,with the state of my current employment (tomorrow),I have to stay on the TLR200.My first trial is on sunday...I've done one trial in 18 mths,so it's a comeback trial.I shift my tools out of storage today and take them one door down the road,then I will have access to the TLR200.

Big British singles gravitate to the lowest point of any muddy trial,and await until 4 lusty men with big thighs are free to drag it to the top again.

Paul in NZ
19th May 2007, 19:57
This just in from the front.

Fine body of men (erm and some women)

Motu
19th May 2007, 20:40
Shee it! ALL the British bikes broke down on the same ride - and you are all waiting for the bus home?

merv
19th May 2007, 20:45
Make a good Dad's Army for when the Aussies or someone is about to invade.

Paul in NZ
19th May 2007, 21:44
Piss off - you are both just jealous! ;-)

(mind you - that lot makes me look good eh!)

Wasp
19th May 2007, 21:52
Stuff that - I'd be too scared of locking the breaks and sliding off the edge!!!!!)

looked at the makara road today........it'll become the solo blat place one day :innocent: