PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Dogs.

Swoop
29th April 2007, 20:30
A classic NZ movie is on Maori TV tonight. 9pm.

Adapted from the novel Smith's Dream (IIRC), this movie was released in 1977.
Starring Sam Neil, Ian Mune.
Rodger Donaldson direction.

Better go and warm up the dvd!

Colapop
29th April 2007, 20:33
That is a very cool movie. I went looking for it a while ago at the film archives. They put it on in one of their viewing rooms - it was great!

Kickaha
29th April 2007, 21:46
That is a very cool movie. I went looking for it a while ago at the film archives. They put it on in one of their viewing rooms - it was great!

You can get it on DVD, I got it out not long ago along with Smash Palace

Maha
29th April 2007, 21:54
You can get it on DVD, I got it out not long ago along with Smash Palace

Both brilliant movie's.....the last 10 mins of Smash Palace is priceless and Bruno Lawrance words ''You're a Fuckwit Ray''...caps it off nicely...:yes:

gijoe1313
29th April 2007, 22:03
Heh, did Sleeping Dogs when I was in seventh form for film studies in English. I was so enamoured with the ideas and all I went overboard on the project we had to do it.

I was motivated enough to make dossiers for all the major characters, drew up the climax graph in key scenes from the movie and ended up with "major nerd" award from my fellow classmates :innocent:

Gotta love the part when Smith jumps out of the closet! :lol: And the hoon around in the old dunger getaway car!

BarBender
29th April 2007, 22:59
Funny how the police scenes in the 1977 movie proved to be prophetic with the anti aparthied demonstrations during the Springbok Tour of 1981.

Steam
30th April 2007, 05:48
Yep, that was a vitally important film at the time, and it's still very significant today. It could happen all too easily, especially in this era of the "war on terror".
Highly recommended.
The book is even better, I remember vividly the terrible part where American jets bomb Thames out of existence, full of civilians. Sound familiar?

Crisis management
30th April 2007, 07:57
The book is even better, I remember vividly the terrible part where American jets bomb Thames out of existence, full of civilians. Sound familiar?

Yeah, but we all used to wear Burqha's in those days Steam, so it was ok....

Krayy
30th April 2007, 12:00
I satyed up for it.....great stuff. I had last seen it around 15 years ago, so it was a good refresher.

I reckon it's pretty relevant to todays societal ills, such as:

1) Getting the island off the Maoris for a bottle of whiskey, only to have them nick your car and you get charged for their stash on the island (not even any dope...and it was on the Coromandel for chrissakes)

2) It sometimes feels like our current PM is heading towards martial law

3) Current Taser debate mirrors those heady days where Minto Sticks were wielded with frightening regularity

Swoop
30th April 2007, 21:11
Credit where it is due...
Good on ya, Maori TV!!! NO adverts at all throughout almost two hours of movie.
Excellent!