PDA

View Full Version : Multiple intelligences

BuFfY
1st May 2007, 16:37
In my Inclusive Education class at the moment we are looking at different styles of learning, and we have been looking at the multiple intelligences.

Here is a lil test that I found, is quite cool to see which of the 8 intelligences you are better at!

http://www2.bgfl.org/bgfl2/custom/resources_ftp/client_ftp/ks3/ict/multiple_int/questions/choose_lang.cfm

jrandom
1st May 2007, 16:41
With all due respect, I think someone, somewhere, is trying to justify their existence by generating bullshit...

Disco Dan
1st May 2007, 16:48
Here ya go Buffy!

Inclusive education is utter bollox by the way.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8vkkoKj-a0"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8vkkoKj-a0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Hitcher
1st May 2007, 16:50
What on earth is "inclusive education"? Sounds awfully like something invented by the PC Brigade...

Maha
1st May 2007, 16:52
Surely Buffy theres better ways to fill your day than numb numb stuff like that, i mean where the hell in life, is that going to get ya?...enroll at the University of Life....:Punk:

scracha
1st May 2007, 17:05
In my Inclusive Education class at the moment we are looking at different styles of learning, and we have been looking at the multiple intelligences.
http://www2.bgfl.org/bgfl2/custom/resources_ftp/client_ftp/ks3/ict/multiple_int/questions/choose_lang.cfm

Inclusive Education is a lot of $hite.
"differenciate your lessons for the lower ability students Mr Gregg".
"umm....just how do I teach a 15 year old pupil with the reading age of an 8 year old how to select relevant information from an Internet search engine whilst still teaching the other 29 pupils?"

The Pastor
1st May 2007, 17:07
Im a genius, I got a score of 89.45 out of 90.

The Pastor
1st May 2007, 17:08
Inclusive Education is a lot of $hite.
"differenciate your lessons for the lower ability students Mr Gregg".
"umm....just how do I teach a 15 year old pupil with the reading age of an 8 year old how to select relevant information from an Internet search engine whilst still teaching the other 29 pupils?"

With a large stick!

BuFfY
1st May 2007, 17:11
Im a genius, I got a score of 89.45 out of 90.

Um... that basically tells you that you have no intelligence... sorry!

Grub
1st May 2007, 17:12
Well Buffy, this was the place to come to get some "grounded" comment .... and you did ... LOL

The Pastor
1st May 2007, 17:15

Your the one who wants to be a teacher LOL.

Sniper
1st May 2007, 17:21
So thats why there are so many PC zombies wondering the streets these days.

Bring back conscription!!!!

EDIT: Test seems to have been born in UK, that explains heaps

BuFfY
1st May 2007, 17:29
Your the one who wants to be a teacher LOL.

Yes, but I have a bit of intelligence...

Mom
1st May 2007, 17:30
Staggers me that so much emphasis today is put on the psychological side of things, I actually took that test to see what the result was.........just what I have known all along about myself really, heaven only knows what use that may be to anyone else....:whocares:

hmmmmmmmmm unless Maha man sees the result and sees I love expensive jewellery :lol:

xwhatsit
1st May 2007, 17:30
Well I know now not to get a really really loud exhaust:

MisterD
1st May 2007, 17:31
What on earth is "inclusive education"? Sounds awfully like something invented by the PC Brigade...

Probably. Considered as the opposite of "exclusive" education, which is obviously the expensive stuff from the likes of Grammar

Back Fire
1st May 2007, 17:41
very random... and a bit pointless

scracha
1st May 2007, 18:29
Yes, but I have a bit of intelligence...

Buffmammy, during the teacher training you're supposed to just nod your head and write heaps of $hite about modern teaching methods. You're not actually meant to believe all the PC shite the teach.

Is teacher training the same here BTW? In the UK I spent 4 out of 5 days in the classroom and 1 day getting "theory". Think it was 39 weeks in the classroom.

jrandom
1st May 2007, 18:40
My personal view has always been that the intelligence and enthusiasm of the teacher accounts for any learning success beyond what's driven by the student's native ability and their parents' encouragement.

I suspect that formal theories and methodologies, in the end, count for very little.

When the rubber meets the road and the young person in question has to write a report to a client's deadline, work out the geometry of a bracing framework before a wall collapses, or solve a differential equation describing an electronic circuit's behaviour while staring at a cloud of blue smoke, now that is the true test of their teacher's skill.

BuFfY
1st May 2007, 18:41
Buffmammy, during the teacher training you're supposed to just nod your head and write heaps of $hite about modern teaching methods. You're not actually meant to believe all the PC shite the teach.

Is teacher training the same here BTW? In the UK I spent 4 out of 5 days in the classroom and 1 day getting "theory". Think it was 39 weeks in the classroom.

We spend 3 years at university. In our first year we have two practicums (which are sections in different schools). The first is only two weeks long, designed to get rid of a lot of the retards. Second is a month long and requires one day of full control teaching.
Second year is two month long practicums, full control is upped each time.
Third year we have one big practicum, 7 weeks long, three weeks full control.
We also have 'micro-teaching' for various subjects and have to interview a group of students then go back at a later date and teach them.
The degree has changed slightly, so Disco might be able to explain this.
A few of my lecturers think that is should be a 4 year course so that they can cram more theory and policy into us, but I feel we need more hands on experience, and more support when we are actually in a school.
I am coming up to my big practicum, and am getting quite excited as I have just found out what school I am going to!

BarBender
1st May 2007, 18:50
Thanks Buffy - that was useful.
Was nice to be reminded again that IQ isnt and shouldnt be the sole measure of intelligence.

Flatcap
1st May 2007, 19:04
We spend 3 years at university. In our first year we have two practicums (which are sections in different schools). The first is only two weeks long, designed to get rid of a lot of the retards. Second is a month long and requires one day of full control teaching.
Second year is two month long practicums, full control is upped each time.
Third year we have one big practicum, 7 weeks long, three weeks full control.
We also have 'micro-teaching' for various subjects and have to interview a group of students then go back at a later date and teach them.
The degree has changed slightly, so Disco might be able to explain this.
A few of my lecturers think that is should be a 4 year course so that they can cram more theory and policy into us, but I feel we need more hands on experience, and more support when we are actually in a school.
I am coming up to my big practicum, and am getting quite excited as I have just found out what school I am going to!

Sounds like a lot of effort to practice crowd control for a bunch of drugged up vandals, especially since you aren't allowed to strap them these days...

BuFfY
1st May 2007, 19:13
Sounds like a lot of effort to practice crowd control for a bunch of drugged up vandals, especially since you aren't allowed to strap them these days...

I would hope they weren't drugged up at age 7!! I am only doing primary school! High school would open a whole new can of worms!

MisterD
1st May 2007, 19:16
I would hope they weren't drugged up at age 7!!

Two words: Raspberry cordial

Flatcap
1st May 2007, 19:25
I would hope they weren't drugged up at age 7!! I am only doing primary school! High school would open a whole new can of worms!

You mean apart from Ritalin and Lithium...

Colapop
1st May 2007, 19:33
I already know what I respond to....

gijoe1313
1st May 2007, 20:11
Apparantly we have a shortage of targets to put up in front of the future crims in classrooms. That's why my parole officer allowed me to teach to shorten my stint even though I'm not allowed within 300 feet of kids...

And that's the line I give all my classes when I start each year! On ya Buffy for trying to give a little insight to people's way of thinking and learning, but it's lost on a KB crowd! :lol:

The theory is all good, but it's in the class that matters most - I've seen plenty of good educating theory fall flat on it's face and the common-sense (which is relatively uncommon) practice of everyday teachers be most effective (even if it is a swift cuff to the head! A no-no today!)

If we obeyed and took stock in all these tests, I think I would have been incarerated or tossed into a loony bin long ago.

Case in point : We ride bikes. We are obviously insane! :woohoo:

Skyryder
1st May 2007, 21:59
I chose Urdu. Couldn't understand a thing. Spose that means I've only got 'one' intelligence....english and mine.

Skyryder

The Pastor
1st May 2007, 22:49
Teachers need to spank, there was a few teachers that could spank me Oh yeah!

Big Dave
1st May 2007, 23:01
Remarkably accy-rate.
It told me I'm good with words, pictures and I'm up myself.

Hitcher
2nd May 2007, 08:44
Practicum. Now there's a word. Surprisingly used correctly as well.

vifferman
2nd May 2007, 08:59
Um.. like we didn't already suspect that...

Crisis management
2nd May 2007, 09:14
Well, I can't say that I learnt anything about myself from that, the end result was a funny coloured pie graph that I didn't understand....

Maybe I should have done the Urdu version?

No, can't see any point in that, sorry Buffy.

Macktheknife
2nd May 2007, 16:45
Apparantly we have a shortage of targets to put up in front of the future crims in classrooms. That's why my parole officer allowed me to teach to shorten my stint even though I'm not allowed within 300 feet of kids...
And that's the line I give all my classes when I start each year! On ya Buffy for trying to give a little insight to people's way of thinking and learning, but it's lost on a KB crowd! :lol:
The theory is all good, but it's in the class that matters most - I've seen plenty of good educating theory fall flat on it's face and the common-sense (which is relatively uncommon) practice of everyday teachers be most effective (even if it is a swift cuff to the head! A no-no today!)
If we obeyed and took stock in all these tests, I think I would have been incarerated or tossed into a loony bin long ago.

Case in point : We ride bikes. We are obviously insane! :woohoo:

I have to agree with you mate, Buffy, sadly this information is almost wasted on KB, but you can use the principles in real classes if you get your head around it well, it is really about utilising different learning styles in your teaching to facilitate understanding. VAK principles and such.
Good luck.

Disco Dan
2nd May 2007, 17:20
I have to agree with you mate, Buffy, sadly this information is almost wasted on KB, but you can use the principles in real classes if you get your head around it well, it is really about utilising different learning styles in your teaching to facilitate understanding. VAK principles and such.
Good luck.

At least you can see the bollox universities try and put us through!! *bastards*