PDA

View Full Version : Ram Cam!

WRT
1st May 2007, 21:23
Sooo . . . maybe I'm a going around this all wrong, but I've spent some time going over my bike trying to figure out how I can mount a camera onto it for some track day fun. Given the available camera, tools, and materials, I've come to the conclusion that there is only one place I can do it easily.

See pic below.

I can mount it in there, and it will pointing in the right direction, on the right angle, and wont fall out. There also shouldn't be anything obstructing the view (other than the bikes in front of me!).

However, it's likely to really cut back on the whole "ram air" effect thing. Is this likely to have much of an effect? Will it make for a noticable drop in power, or make the bike run like shite?

And what are the chances of a track day scruitineer seeing it and saying "HELL NO"?

MOTOXXX
1st May 2007, 21:38
mate just put a rag under it and tape it to the tank. thats what me and the boys do.
you get a super steady picture and just tape up the mic.

it also will show how fast your going too as you see the spedo

WRT
1st May 2007, 21:48
Too low sitting on the tank, cant much other than the sky (the cam is quite small and would need to be propped up on something. Trust me, I've tried all sorts of scenarios (and I'm not shy of making brackets up, I just cant see anywhere on this bike to mount it).

Edit: just found the post describing the mount I made up for the TLR when I had it:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=311841&postcount=18

bugjuice
1st May 2007, 23:26
just check it if it stands there well, for bugs every time you pull in
plus, make sure the bike is still getting enough air! It ain't that big for prudy looks ;)
Plus, you won't get much if any decent engine noise, it'll all be rushing air
good idea tho
What about on the side(s) of the bike?

Mr. Peanut
1st May 2007, 23:28
Looks like it wants to sneeze.

yod
1st May 2007, 23:49

:killingme

WRT
2nd May 2007, 01:18
just check it if it stands there well, for bugs every time you pull in
plus, make sure the bike is still getting enough air! It ain't that big for prudy looks ;)
Plus, you won't get much if any decent engine noise, it'll all be rushing air
good idea tho
What about on the side(s) of the bike?

Bit worried about how much air it will be blocking to be honest. My only real concern. Would be nice to mount it on the side (like I did with the TLR, that worked really well, especially when the bike was cranked over), but there's just no way to do it without me drilling holes in the fairing. Can't see that happening somehow.

Bless you!

The Pastor
2nd May 2007, 11:55
[QUOTE=WRT;1037512] there's just no way to do it without me drilling holes in the fairing. Can't see that happening somehow.
QUOTE]

duck tape?

Disco Dan
2nd May 2007, 12:04
Sooo . . . maybe I'm a going around this all wrong, but I've spent some time going over my bike trying to figure out how I can mount a camera onto it for some track day fun. Given the available camera, tools, and materials, I've come to the conclusion that there is only one place I can do it easily.

If you like I can bring my camera mount along (see picture). http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48477&d=1166067120

It is adjustable for diferent heights/angles and uses one of your filler cap screws to bolt on and suckers on the front which absorb any vibrations.

If you wish, I can custom design a bracket specifically for your bike... although I need to see it and take measurements etc first.

WRT
2nd May 2007, 12:13
If you like I can bring my camera mount along (see picture). http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48477&d=1166067120

It is adjustable for diferent heights/angles and uses one of your filler cap screws to bolt on and suckers on the front which absorb any vibrations.

If you wish, I can custom design a bracket specifically for your bike... although I need to see it and take measurements etc first.

That sort of arrangement would be ideal . . . except that there are no screws in the filler cap.

I've messed around trying out a tripod/suction cup arrangement, but the suction cups by themselves aren't strong enough to hold it in place. Had thought about dropping it down the steering head (some sort of expanding rubber arrangement - you know the rubber collars that have a bolt through the middle that expands the rubber as you tighten it for a snug fit?) - problem with that idea is then it will move with the handle bars - plus I'm still not sure how much I would trust it to stay there.

And duct tape is just too rangi to consider . . . I have standards, you know.

Edit: Also worthy of note is the plastic tank - no magnets.

Disco Dan
2nd May 2007, 12:17
That sort of arrangement would be ideal . . . except that there are no screws in the filler cap.

I've messed around trying out a tripod/suction cup arrangement, but the suction cups by themselves aren't strong enough to hold it in place. Had thought about dropping it down the steering head (some sort of expanding rubber arrangement - you know the rubber collars that have a bolt through the middle that expands the rubber as you tighten it for a snug fit?) - problem with that idea is then it will move with the handle bars - plus I'm still not sure how much I would trust it to stay there.

And duct tape is just too rangi to consider . . . I have standards, you know.

Edit: Also worthy of note is the plastic tank - no magnets.

hmm your a difficult one!

I am not sure what your filler cap looks like, but if there is some other way to secure the bracket to it, it would still work?

A loop of string around the filler cap then close it and attach to the bracket?

WRT
2nd May 2007, 12:26
hmm your a difficult one!

I am not sure what your filler cap looks like, but if there is some other way to secure the bracket to it, it would still work?

A loop of string around the filler cap then close it and attach to the bracket?

Tis difficult, certainly the TLR was much easier. I'm apprehensive about having it tied on, if the sucker cups came loose that would leave it flapping in the breeze wreaking havoc with the paint work - I'd rather the damned thing dropped on the pavement - it's worth less than the fairing!

My feeling is that for the track if has to be screwed in place somehow, would really not be a good look dropping debris all over the show.

Disco Dan
2nd May 2007, 12:31
Tis difficult, certainly the TLR was much easier. I'm apprehensive about having it tied on, if the sucker cups came loose that would leave it flapping in the breeze wreaking havoc with the paint work - I'd rather the damned thing dropped on the pavement - it's worth less than the fairing!

My feeling is that for the track if has to be screwed in place somehow, would really not be a good look dropping debris all over the show.

point taken! no worries.

I will bring it along if anyone else wishes to make use of it.

...im still waiting for skidmark to replace my camera that he smeared across the northwestern mway... :angry: so its no use to me at the moment!

Kwaka14
2nd May 2007, 12:33
Too low sitting on the tank, cant much other than the sky (the cam is quite small and would need to be propped up on something. Trust me, I've tried all sorts of scenarios (and I'm not shy of making brackets up, I just cant see anywhere on this bike to mount it).

Edit: just found the post describing the mount I made up for the TLR when I had it:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=311841&postcount=18

if you're taking off the mirrors what about making up a bracket that bolts to there?

ArcherWC
2nd May 2007, 12:35
Check out my other thread showing how i set it up, just used a techmount

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=42590

imdying
2nd May 2007, 14:30
It'll suck enough air past that no problem at all.

WRT
2nd May 2007, 15:02
Check out my other thread showing how i set it up, just used a techmount

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=42590

Wicked, that's the sort of thing I was imagining for the steering head. Did you find it moved too much with the turning of the handlebars? I'm thinking it would only be an issue at low speeds or during a tankslapper (in which case the camera would be the least of my worries).

Don't suppose you are going to the track day on Sunday? Any chance of borrowing it off you for a session? If it is the standard sized camera mount mine should go on there no worries.

It'll suck enough air past that no problem at all.

Sweet, I might just give it a go then.

WRT
3rd May 2007, 12:43
Ok, well if I was to mount the camera in the RAM air duct, I think the footage would look something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q2TgGj05IE

It's a bit dark due to being early morning, however you get the general idea. It works and it's not a bad viewing angle, but it gets a bit of vibration at lower revs and the sound . . . is interesting. You can hear the engines internals, it's quite bizarre but not altogether unexpected.

There is one other rather large drawback however. Power, or lack there of. Does seem to rob a fair bit of acceleration.

doc
3rd May 2007, 19:27

See pic below.

I can mount it in there, and it will pointing in the right direction, on the right angle, and wont fall out. There also shouldn't be anything obstructing the view (other than the bikes in front of me!).

However, it's likely to really cut back on the whole "ram air" effect thing. Is this likely to have much of an effect? Will it make for a noticable drop in power, or make the bike run like shite?

And what are the chances of a track day scruitineer seeing it and saying "HELL NO"?
I've made a mount that fits on the fuel cap surround, it positions the vidcam where I wanted it and is quite simple . I don't know if this system would pass scrutineering, if you are interested I will get a pic taken . Another method of doing it

WRT
4th May 2007, 08:41
I've made a mount that fits on the fuel cap surround, it positions the vidcam where I wanted it and is quite simple . I don't know if this system would pass scrutineering, if you are interested I will get a pic taken . Another method of doing it

I'd actually really like one of those mounts, however the Aprilia doesnt have the usual circle of screws on the fuel cap surround. This is the best pic I can find after a quick google image search:

doc
4th May 2007, 18:06
I'd actually really like one of those mounts, however the Aprilia doesnt have the usual circle of screws on the fuel cap surround. This is the best pic I can find after a quick google image search:How does the cap fit onto the tank. If you can find out how you can make a bracket. I'll try and get a pic of mine and send it to you .

BuFfY
4th May 2007, 18:11
Saw the title and thought... um I'm the only one who is allowed to ram cam! lol
Cam has done a few tests on camera mounts... just test it before you go on a long ride... and take some tools just incase! We were half way along the road to Piha and it half came undone (the screws)
Good luck :)

saul
4th May 2007, 18:13

See pic below.

Mate don't obstruct the vulva:shit: :innocent: :rockon: