PDA

View Full Version : Sequel to 'Long Way Round' coming soon.

FkNAmerican
2nd May 2007, 14:23
Hey all,

For those of you that have seen "The Long Way Round" this will come as great news to you. For those of you that havnt, get your heads out of your arses and go watch the DVD or read the book. Its pretty much one of the best recent motorcycle adventures out there..........or at least the most entertaining.

So now for the news: Ewan Mcgregor and Charlie Boorman are at it again. This time, they are planning to go from John O' Groats, Scotland to Capetown, South Africa. If its anywhere near as epic as thier last stint it should be worth following. I have a feeling bits of Africa are going to make the "Road of Bones" look downright easy. The only down side: They wont get to meat Paul and Paul Teutul from "American Chopper".......

They are set to begin sometime in May assuming all planning and prep go as scheduled. As before, they are gonna be riding BMW R1150GS bikes (or very similar models). Thier cameraman is, again, going to be Claudio Von Planta and the same production team is set to work on the project.

The offical website, which is pretty shitty at the moment, is:

www.longwaydown.com

So anyway, there you have it. They havnt published a route yet and prolly wont for security reasons.......but I bet there are some South Africans that would love to meet them out away from Capetown and ride in with them on the final leg of the journey.

Chisanga
2nd May 2007, 14:27
I heard Ewen recently broke his leg... although I believe it is not expected to delay their plans at all.

daaatomic
2nd May 2007, 14:29
Awesome, I can't wait! i watched the first series twice in 1 week.

FkNAmerican
2nd May 2007, 15:17
hehe, whew, glad to see it was well recieved by you guys because I fuckin loved it.

On a side note, do you guys get American Chopper over in NZ ??? I know its a huge hit in Ireland and its pretty big in the UK..........

S&S
2nd May 2007, 15:23
Looking forward to it.... first one rocked, seen it a billion times & can't get bored of it.

Also look out for Charley Boorman's, Race To Dakar. Thats worth a watch, still has Claudio & Russ from The Long Way Round, very entertaining.

yungatart
2nd May 2007, 16:02
Loved tihe first one, can't wait to see the sequel!
Did anyone else notice that we have an American amongst us who knows his arse from his donkey :innocent:
Well done!!!

Wasp27
2nd May 2007, 16:15
Loved tihe first one, can't wait to see the sequel!
Did anyone else notice that we have an American amongst us who knows his arse from his donkey :innocent:
Well done!!!
and he rides a............

FkNAmerican
2nd May 2007, 17:33
hehe, hey take it easy Wasp!! I might ride a Ninja 250 but its my first bike. We all gotta start somewhere.

My next bike, which Im gonna buy when I get to NZ, is gonna be a 600.......most likely an 07 CBR600RR. They run about $10,000 out the door here in the states.....thats including taxes and all the dealer related blood sucking so they can feed thier families and such. I can only wonder in dread at what it might cost me in NZ......

Macktheknife
2nd May 2007, 17:47
Can't wait for the sequel, bloody good watch I thought.
As for the American Chopper show, yes we get it on Sky digital (pay) TV. Good show but can't believe how much time they waste on BS.

Wasp27
2nd May 2007, 17:58
hehe, hey take it easy Wasp!! I might ride a Ninja 250 but its my first bike. We all gotta start somewhere.

My next bike, which Im gonna buy when I get to NZ, is gonna be a 600.......most likely an 07 CBR600RR. They run about $10,000 out the door here in the states.....thats including taxes and all the dealer related blood sucking so they can feed thier families and such. I can only wonder in dread at what it might cost me in NZ......

Its OK...wasn't putting ya down buddy...the comment was aimed at (our) Yungatart....also a Kwaka rider. Cheers and welcome to KB...if passing through Hawkes Bay..give us a yell...we'll meet up..could even show you some of the best sights. Cheers W

FkNAmerican
2nd May 2007, 18:16
Sorry Wasp, you know us yanks......always ready for a good ole confrontation...... :) anyway, Im sure I'll end up in Napier at some point. Thanks for the invite. Its actually one of the few places in NZ I havnt been to yet so I've always meant to go there eventually if for no other reason then I havnt been yet.........but now of course I've got a better reason. Hope the riding is good up there.

The only places Im not too keen on going to again are Auckland, Greymouth, and Palmerston North. The rest I'd gladly visit.

NordieBoy
2nd May 2007, 18:40
The only places Im not too keen on going to again are Auckland, Greymouth, and Palmerston North. The rest I'd gladly visit.

Hmmm.
Greymouth has a yearly motorbike race on the streets called "The Greymouth Street Races".

yungatart
2nd May 2007, 18:51
You can spell arse, you ride a Kwaka...but you haven't been to Napier???
Man, are you in for a treat when you finally get here!

FkNAmerican
2nd May 2007, 19:38
hmm, ok then.....Greymouth it is then.

And yeah, always felt kinda bad about missing Napier. Dont know how that happenned. Oh hold on......I do......hmmm cant go telling that one.

Crisis management
3rd May 2007, 12:13
I dunno about this.......

Doesn't like Auckland (my town) :gob:

Doesn't like Greymouth (sons current abode) :gob:

Likes the long way round posers!!! :gob:

Likes American Chopper!!! :gob:

Mind you he's american and we know all about Americans' tastes :dodge:

You should fit in, wellcome!

mazz1972
4th May 2007, 15:28
On a side note, do you guys get American Chopper over in NZ ??? I know its a huge hit in Ireland and its pretty big in the UK..........

Loads of it on Discovery channel (only available on pay-tv) and I think might be some free to air (Prime channel?)

DemonWolf
4th May 2007, 16:17
I enjoyed 'The Long Way Round'.. and I'd like to watch the sequel.

Actually wouldn't mind see'ing some more of the first snippets that we missed

Lucy
4th May 2007, 17:16
Can't wait for the sequel, bloody good watch I thought.
As for the American Chopper show, yes we get it on Sky digital (pay) TV. Good show but can't believe how much time they waste on BS.

It's free to air on Prime TV

mstriumph
4th May 2007, 17:41
..........get your heads out of your arses ......................

respect :Punk: to a really fast learner
[our Mr Hitcher will be so proud of you ............:first: ]

ceebie13
4th May 2007, 18:58
REPOST! Old news... mentioned a couple of months back here:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=955522&postcount=7

FkNAmerican
14th May 2007, 15:06
hehe, in response to Crisis Management:

Auckland is like the New York City of New Zealand.....I would describe the people as Kiwi New Yorkers......mind you that still makes them hella lot nicer then actual New Yorkers......this is just relative to the rest of NZ :)

Christchurch, however, was the opposite. Medium sized city (my favorite size city) with a small town feel. Friendly people, well laid out city center with decent public transportation, charming views, easy access to the beach and the mountains ( I could surf and ski in the same day), not too expensive, nice univerisity, not too crowded, easy going pace, good weather, access to alot of the technology and toys available in the US.........just perfect.

SDU
15th May 2007, 11:51
Christchurch,---well laid out city center..... ....

:rofl: Don't you mean the city centre, the one way maze where once you are in you can't find your way out again. :)

FkNAmerican
17th May 2007, 15:33
Yeah SDU....its designed so that you get lost and spend more money!!! Perfect.

Templar
17th May 2007, 16:25
I haven't ever given it the chance it probably deserves but from what I've seen, American Chopper is a bloody stupid show...

I did love Long Way Round though (bought the book + dvd) and definitely will watch Long Way Down.

Bob
17th May 2007, 20:34
As we've got two threads on the same subject, running just inches away from each other, thought I'd put a link to the other one here:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=49930

If you want this one closed, or the other one closed with a link to this one, or indeed the two merged, let me know and when I get a second I'll do it.

Thanks,

Bob