PDA

View Full Version : Two stroke - Power valves

Racey Rider
2nd July 2003, 19:08
I pulled the power valves out of my RGV250 today for the first time. Lots of gummy oil around the mechanism. Clean it out with a rag, and put them back in. Noticed the valves were still quite sticky to the touch along the shaft when replacing them. Is that normal? Or should I be useing something to clean the valve right back to the metal? Then relubing them?

Also, as the older RGV power valve's have a issue of pin breakage, Is the pin wear obvious when it's time to replace them, or is it just a "certain amount of time" thing. Every ???? Km?

Dave
3rd July 2003, 08:27
Definatley need to clean them right up,buy a can of brake clean from repco and clean them right up,they get oil from out of the exhaust gasses,so apart from a light spray with crc to stop them rusting thats all they need.The pins i'm not sure about,but if you price them up and its not to bad,just buy a set and then you will never have to worry again-better than going to a race meeting and coming home disapointed.

Motu
3rd July 2003, 09:14
I'm not familiar that model,but breakages in power valve linkages is usualy because of seized components in said mechanisim.Depending on how when and where,I'd lube things with a very high temp anti seize grease.

beanz
31st March 2004, 17:15
Hi, just finished playing with my powervalves. See www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=2427 for my experiances.