PDA

View Full Version : MV Agusta and Carl Fogarty enter World Superbikes in 2008

Bob
2nd May 2007, 23:04
MV Agusta is set to enter the World Superbike Championship in 2008, with four times world champion Carl Fogarty at the helm.

“We are happy to race with Carl Fogarty’s team in 2008 and see this as a long-term relationship,” says MV Agusta President Claudio Castiglioni “We always targeted 2008 as our debut year in the World Superbike series, when we will have sufficient resources to fully support such a challenge.”

Talking about Fogarty’s appointment, Castiglioni added “Everyone was impressed by the professionalism and dedication of Fogarty’s team during their five years with Petronas and we are confident they can deliver the results we expect.”

Fogarty added “This is a very exciting opportunity and one which is sure to capture the imagination of racing fans around the world. Claudio shares my desire for success and it will be great to work with him again.”

The team will run the new 2008 F4 R 312 as part of the 100th TT celebrations on Friday, June 8th.

BarBender
2nd May 2007, 23:22
Good on Foggy!
A great season to look forward to in 2008...and another reason to get MySky.

skelstar
3rd May 2007, 00:15
Jeebus...Im fairly new to the MC racing scene but I understand that CF was/is a little abrasive? Should be interesting to watch thats for sure.

yod
3rd May 2007, 00:18
foggy kicked serious arse....

Big Dave
3rd May 2007, 00:19
Jeebus...Im fairly new to the MC racing scene but I understand that CF was/is a little abrasive? Should be interesting to watch thats for sure.

If you ever get the chance to - ask Aaron Slight about him. Quite entertaining. They don't swap Christmas cards that's for sure.

Bob
3rd May 2007, 00:38
Just checking... you do realise he is involved as Team Manager, not as the rider, don't you?

Fogarty would not be able to ride, following the injuries he suffered a few years back, when the rider of the bike in front accidentally hit the kill-switch and effectively stopped right in front of him. If memory serves correctly, Fogarty suffered shoulder and elbow injuries which ended his riding career.

He then spent, shall we say, an "interesting and challenging" period running the Petronas team, where they used a three-cylinder engine. That bike used to get lots of good words about the handling, but the engine just wasn't in the same league as the other teams.

Good to see MV Agusta back in top-class racing though - for them say they're ready to compete in 2008, rather than 2007, smacks of decent preparation.

more_fasterer
3rd May 2007, 11:14
How long will it be before Castiglioni drives MV into financial ruin (again) though??

Finn
3rd May 2007, 13:31
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/6613129.stm

Bob
3rd May 2007, 21:04
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/6613129.stm

The BBC and I got this direct from the same press release... hence a fair few of our words being pretty similar.

Quite nice knowing someone involved with the World Superbike Championship!

(I would have posted earlier, but there was an embargo on releasing the news... which unfortunately I read as 1PM not 1AM! Ho hum, can't get everything right...)

Pwalo
4th May 2007, 09:01
I hear that Steve Martin and Andrew Pitt are looking for rides.

Ivan
11th May 2007, 19:15
If you ever get the chance to - ask Aaron Slight about him. Quite entertaining. They don't swap Christmas cards that's for sure.

Maybe so

But who was the first rider to go see Aaron after he had Brain Surgery in hospital?

I think It was one Mr Carl Fogarty

Dontget me wrong Aaron is my Favourite rider of all time and will always be my idol

BIGBOSSMAN
13th May 2007, 10:38
I hear that Steve Martin and Andrew Pitt are looking for rides.

Steve Martin? He of 'The Three Amigos', 'The Man with 2 Brains' and 'The Jerk' movie fame?? :buggerd: