PDA

View Full Version : Noisy speedo

lb99
3rd May 2007, 10:05
My CBx speedo has started to scream its head off (louder than bike) at anything over 10kph, I have pulled the unit out of the dash and lubricated all the moving bits I can get to, this stopped it for about 10min then it was back, louder than ever, any tips from the experts?

riffer
3rd May 2007, 12:44
Has it started to unthread? This could cause it to have a small bit of wire spinning against the cable sheath.

Also, check you don't have the cable kinked in any way - this could also cause problems.

Thirdly - check to make sure that the speedo drive gear (is it on the front wheel?) is nicely lubricated too - there could be some crud in there.

lb99
3rd May 2007, 14:02
but its definatly coming from the head itself, if I left the cable on at the wheel, but off at the speedo there was no noise, on sunday I accidently knocked out all the dash lights while fiddling and had to come home from Nelson in the dark with no instuments at all.... a very surreal experience.....

I have just stripped and checked out the speedo and the spindle bit that the cable goes into was quite stiff, so I connected it to the rev counter cable on my bike and squirted sme lube in there while it was spinning, presto, no noise, now off to check the calibration of my speedo...

moT
3rd May 2007, 14:18
take it off and only put it on again for warrents they wont fail u on a noisy speedo

lb99
3rd May 2007, 15:07
take it off and only put it on again for warrents they wont fail u on a noisy speedo

it needs to be there, and it is supposed to work, I would rather fix it than go without.

anyway it seems ok now, touch wood.....