PDA

View Full Version : Carbon work

Freakshow
3rd May 2007, 11:46
My bro is down and we made some new Boot protectors out of Carbon as well as part of the front wheel faring. Marginal weight difference but who cares it looks cool!:yes:

placidfemme
3rd May 2007, 11:47
those are really kewl!

Wasp
3rd May 2007, 12:02
My bro is down and we made some new Boot protectors out of Carbon as well as part of the front wheel faring. Marginal weight difference but who cares it looks cool!:yes:

You have to be careful with that carbon fibre stuff, you'll notice it turn to silver soon. On a completly unrelated matter mine will turn black at the exact same time...... :innocent:

looks good man

bistard
3rd May 2007, 12:04
Nice work,you were talking about doing that when you were at my place
How do we get some carbon stuff too???

Freakshow
3rd May 2007, 12:17
Wasp I know where you live but you don't know where I live, I don't see that changing anytime soon!

I am still adding the finishing touches to the front guard and one side is on and looks good. It does need a bit of perfecting and but happy with first attempt from the mold!

imdying
3rd May 2007, 12:47
If you or your bro could add to this thread I'd be grateful http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=48697

EZAS
15th May 2007, 14:29
Those look Awesome. How much to make some for mine?

Thenaughtebucket
15th May 2007, 15:06
Ezas,

Freakshows brother here,
Prob be about $50 for a set of these in carbon.
we're just havin a few issues as to what to coat them in that won't wear away too quickly with use.
you have a zx6r i presume?
cause we've made the two side fairings next to the mudguards in carbon, and am making the two intake covers, and chain guard in carbon today.
and the next one is to make a rear hugger and chainguard in one.

AC,

Wasp
15th May 2007, 18:55
whoa, cool

i'd LOVE to have you make some for mine but i really cant afford it at the moment

Thenaughtebucket
18th May 2007, 18:30
The next carbon bits, finally make it on.

98tls
18th May 2007, 19:11
Awsome work..........looks great..:Punk: ever thought of doing one of these........

Thenaughtebucket
18th May 2007, 19:19
that looks sweet!

yeah i wanted to do one, and we have a spare screen to make one, but the bro told me that noone would want one. might give it a whirl just for shits and giggles, is that one that you made??

98tls
18th May 2007, 19:27
No mate.........a bloke on an overseas based TL forum had 30 made up so i thought bugger it...something different.......bit like this

RantyDave
18th May 2007, 19:29
Oh, yes indeedy. Bling bling bling bling bling!

Dave

Thenaughtebucket
18th May 2007, 19:35
very nice!! so would most people actually want to look through the visor..? what sorta money that set ya back?

98tls
18th May 2007, 19:44
very nice!! so would most people actually want to look through the visor..? what sorta money that set ya back? Not being able to see through it has never bothered me at all.........i am quite tall....i dont remember really looking through the old one anyway......as for price i paid US 130 dollars for it.......considering i paid 200 kiwi for a tinted double bubble i reckon its cheap.................

Thenaughtebucket
18th May 2007, 19:53
thats a pretty reasonable price, i think i might try and make a half carbon half perspex one, see how it goes.

Buddy L
21st May 2007, 18:52
i'll post up some pic's of my bike and exuast when its all back together, doing some carbon work on it as well, with the help of my friend.
Since i crashed the bike, it was lets do it in carbon!! Nice.

Thenaughtebucket
21st May 2007, 19:19
that'd be cool buddy,

Am pretty keen to hear how a home made exhaust holds up, mainly what resin you used,

I should have a whole bunch of knew pics in a couple of days, got a lil bit carried away over the weekend makin stuff.

Thenaughtebucket
22nd May 2007, 22:17
The latest in the series of unnecessary carbon fibre bits for a Zx6r,
- Ignition key skuff plate and Brake fluid resevoir bracket
- Air intake covers x2
- Front air intake
- Chain guard
- Speedo frame cover

98tls
22nd May 2007, 22:23
Mate.......your sure on a misson.........looks great..........

Freakshow
22nd May 2007, 22:34
And you have put it back together already AWESOME

Thenaughtebucket
22nd May 2007, 22:38
on a mission, or just unemployed at the moment,
i think on a mission prob soundz better.
yeah next op, is to get the half carbon bubble, and then the big one, making a rear hugger/chainguard.

bert_is_evil
23rd May 2007, 14:37
Hey that stuff looks great.

Perhaps if you have some spare time you could do a step by step on the next piece you make with pic's? I'd be interested to see how it's done and I'm sure others would.

The ace could do with losing a few kilo's, perhaps I could make a carbon everything....

Wasp
23rd May 2007, 21:21
another top job guys, no point in saying yet again that i want it..........

Puddlejumper
23rd May 2007, 21:35
Just want to agree with previous comments. Very nice effect. Nice to have something unique in these days of identical looking bikes.

Possum41
23rd May 2007, 22:27
MMMmmmmm carbon, this stuff is the shit ive just had all new carbon fairings made for my Hyosung can't wait to get them on the bike. Will have it looking bling bling for the next round of the vmcc series

Buddy L
24th May 2007, 19:57
[QUOTE=Thenaughtebucket;1063993]that'd be cool buddy,

Am pretty keen to hear how a home made exhaust holds up, mainly what resin you used,

QUOTE]

Not to sure on what the resin is, but its some special high temp resin that he got in (he's a boat builder) so far we have just made a fiber glass mould of my mircon pipe, still doing prep work, sanding smoothing.
On the back burner at the moment as he's over seas for work for a couple of weeks.

Pumba
25th May 2007, 12:33
Not to sure on what the resin is, but its some special high temp resin that he got in (he's a boat builder) so far we have just made a fiber glass mould of my mircon pipe, still doing prep work, sanding smoothing.
On the back burner at the moment as he's over seas for work for a couple of weeks.

Wasnt the exhust one of the few parts that didnt look to bad after the trackday:spudwhat: :scratch:

phoenixgtr
25th May 2007, 12:45
Awesome!! I want!! Thats really cool

Buddy L
25th May 2007, 14:38
Wasnt the exhust one of the few parts that didnt look to bad after the trackday:spudwhat: :scratch:

Yer its true, but a carbon exuast will look pretty nice on the side of my bike.
Why becasue i might be able to, thats why.:rockon:

K6K
25th May 2007, 16:46
I've thought about making some carbon bits for a while. I have worked with fibreglass before (with varied success). A couple of questions about carbon fibre:

where do you by supplies from - carbon/resin etc? What is the ballpark cost? can you buy limited amounts easily?
What methods do you use to set the part in the mold? I have seen parts made on TV before and they usually seal it up in plastic and suck all the air out to drive all the air out of the part and force the resin into all the spaces. Then they 'bake it' in a type of oven, overnight I think. Is this necessary for non load bearing parts, like a hugger?

Thanks

Thenaughtebucket
25th May 2007, 17:55
The most expensive part is obviously the Carbon fibre, which sells for about $60- $100 a square metre, depending on what weave/weight ya want. i was lucky enought to acquire some 'offcuts' from a previous employer.

epoxy resin is about $140-150 for 5L. which is quite alot, ive had my 5L for over two years now, and its just starting to get empty after making numerous different pieces. and can be found at any marine shop, Burnsco Marine would be the best and cheapest place (bit of a plug for an old employer) and you comes in .1, .4, 1, 5, 20L containers. they also sell some basic mold release for about $12 for 200ml, which works a treat.

If your making molds id jsut use polyester resin, as its about 30% cheaper.

Thenaughtebucket
25th May 2007, 17:56
The most expensive part is obviously the Carbon fibre, which sells for about $60- $100 a square metre, depending on what weave/weight ya want. i was lucky enought to acquire some 'offcuts' from a previous employer.

epoxy resin is about $140-150 for 5L. which is quite alot, ive had my 5L for over two years now, and its just starting to get empty after making numerous different pieces. and can be found at any marine shop, Burnsco Marine would be the best and cheapest place (bit of a plug for an old employer) and you comes in .1, .4, 1, 5, 20L containers. they also sell some basic mold release for about $12 for 200ml, which works a treat.

If your making molds id jsut use polyester resin, as its about 30% cheaper.

Oh and to buy small quantities of Carbon, the only place i can think of is a company in Albany, called "High Modulus"

Thenaughtebucket
25th May 2007, 18:10
bugger sent it twice!

As for manufacturing processes, The one you will have seen a video for uses Preimpregnated carbon fibre, which already has the resin 'preimpregnated" into it, and when in the oven it basically goes off. its held under a vacuum, and often in a pressurised vessel when this happens. It's the top of the line technique, uber expensive.

Ive just layed the carbon and resn in the molds i made, and let it cure at room temeprature. this is pretty much the most budget way to do it, but it works alright for the parts ive made.

Trying to source a vacuum pump at the moment, so that i can bag the parts while they cure, sucking out all the air, and forcing the carbon into the corners much better.

imdying
25th May 2007, 18:50
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tygaboy&search=Search

Watch tygaboys diy vidoes, most of what you need to know is there. As far as his credentials go, check out this sweet MV/SV650 hybrid tank he made: http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=84202.0

EZAS
14th June 2007, 19:51
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tygaboy&search=Search

Watch tygaboys diy vidoes, most of what you need to know is there. As far as his credentials go, check out this sweet MV/SV650 hybrid tank he made: http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=84202.0

Wow .. that's a great find on youtube :)

Awesome progress on the bike there bucket!!! Keep us posted with any more upgrades/replacements no matter how small :)

Thenaughtebucket
15th June 2007, 12:50
The latest piece in the puzzle, screen/blade.

I just need someone to shoot a coat of clear on these parts, as i'm rather shit at painting, think they would look a million times better.

EZAS
15th June 2007, 17:52
Did you make the double bubble yourself? or did you already have that mold?

Thenaughtebucket
15th June 2007, 18:30
i took a mold off a double bubble screen,

Buddy L
16th June 2007, 07:52
nice work their. carbon has been done on half of the main parts of my bike.
and looks realy trippy. After the first coat of clear, it adds a real depth to the carbon. hopefully be getting some photos in the next couple of weeks with it all back together.
Keep up the good work.

Colapop
16th June 2007, 08:53
How would you go about making moulds if you wanted to make larger parts like farings?

Thenaughtebucket
16th June 2007, 11:26
The process is exactly the same for larger parts, just take a mold straight off the fairing.

Or you can cut corners and lay the carbon straight over the fairing.

Pumba
17th June 2007, 19:39
nice work their. carbon has been done on half of the main parts of my bike.
and looks realy trippy. After the first coat of clear, it adds a real depth to the carbon. hopefully be getting some photos in the next couple of weeks with it all back together.

I look foward to seeing some of these pictures:yes:

Madness
17th June 2007, 19:50
I just need someone to shoot a coat of clear on these parts, as i'm rather shit at painting.

PM Crazefox, resident KB Welly painter.

Buddy L
30th June 2007, 17:23
here is stage one of my bike:yes:
stage two on the way.:rockon:
the carbon fiber has faded a little and hasn't stayed the deap black that it was when, i first started doing the work.:shutup:
but thats alright.:love:

Freakshow
2nd July 2007, 17:18
Looks good.

A bit of a buff should help??!!

Pumba
2nd July 2007, 17:27
Looks good cant wait to see the finished product.

the carbon fiber has faded a little and hasn't stayed the deap black that it was when, i first started doing the work.:shutup:
but thats alright.:love:

Have you painted them with clear coat as to my knowledge that if you clear coat them it prevent them going silver (sits back and waits to be corrected or told what a stupid idea).

Buddy L
2nd July 2007, 19:04
Have you painted them with clear coat as to my knowledge that if you clear coat them it prevent them going silver (sits back and waits to be corrected or told what a stupid idea).

She's got Clear coats on her heaps of Clear, but i haven't given her a polish yet, that should make her shine.:rockon:

Pumba
2nd July 2007, 20:32
Well least it wasnt a stupid idea

Thenaughtebucket
3rd July 2007, 21:48
that looks freakin sweet!! the rear section especially,

Is the piece on the tank, just sitting on top of it, or is the whole tank done?

xwhatsit
4th July 2007, 17:15
That looks damned good.

Just been reading about vacuum bagging with fuel tanks and such. One of the interesting things I came across was this method to convert a bicycle pump to a vacuum pump at Instructables. Could be useful: http://www.instructables.com/id/EA58LR1F35J1I9N/ Apparently it's `several times' stronger than a normal vacuum cleaner (of course, you have to do the pumping manually I suppose).

Buddy L
4th July 2007, 19:29
that looks freakin sweet!! the rear section especially,

Is the piece on the tank, just sitting on top of it, or is the whole tank done?

Nar mate the 2006 GSXR's have a "skirt" over the front of the tank don't no why? when i crashed i cracked it, so decided to do it in the carbon fiber.
:yes:

EZAS
31st July 2007, 09:50
I've just been quoted $1300 to paint and sticker my bike. Would it be cheaper to get my bike covered in Carbon Fibre instead?

lordandrevv
31st July 2007, 11:21
I've just been quoted $1300 to paint and sticker my bike. Would it be cheaper to get my bike covered in Carbon Fibre instead?
haha seriously doubt it :-) there would be more people around going it if it cost as much as a paintjob. if you were to make it yourself...maybe

imdying
31st July 2007, 12:22
It would also add a bit of weight.

ManDownUnder
31st July 2007, 12:26
This carbon just looks cheesy - you guys are doing because you can... not because you need to...

... actually that's envy talking. Fucken lovin' it!

imdying
31st July 2007, 12:42
Hey, I need to! Well, I could make the bits I need out of alloy sheet, but I don't have a welder to finish the job :no: And maybe a bit of sex appeal too :blip:

EZAS
31st July 2007, 12:56
I'm not to worried about the weight. Just like painting, labour is gonna be the major cost right? Prep is a bitch :(

I have a spare top fairing ... so I might experiment with that one first, before trying to lay it all over my good one :)

imdying
31st July 2007, 12:59
Yep, you can only learn by doing :yes:

Panther
31st July 2007, 14:09
Yep, you can only learn by doing :yes:

How hard can it be?:shit:

Freakshow
31st July 2007, 15:49
How hard can it be?:shit:

Easy, You just go away on holiday and give the bike to your bored brother!

And hey presto!:dodge:

Panther
31st July 2007, 17:14
Easy, You just go away on holiday and give the bike to your bored brother!

And hey presto!:dodge:

I didn't actually care I was just quoting imdying for the sake of it.

EZAS
1st August 2007, 16:35
Seriously how hard is it?
I've check online and it doesn't look too hard (I hope).

imdying
1st August 2007, 16:46
Depends on what you want to make, and what sort of quality is important to you.

EZAS
1st August 2007, 19:21
I just want my fairing's to be 'covered' in carbon fibre because it looks Better than flashy paint jobs .. IMO

I want it to be flat and smooth and not too patchy.

is it fibre .. or fiber?

imdying
1st August 2007, 19:36
Either is fine. Personally I think the concept of covering something in carbon is pretty crass, in almost all applications. If you like the concept, give it a go. Probably drop a hundyish on resin, and about a hundy per metre.

R1madness
1st August 2007, 19:50
Carbon fiber is the new CHROME hahahahahaha. :dodge:

imdying
1st August 2007, 20:00
Used like that it is :yes: :lol:

Buddy L
1st August 2007, 21:32
I just want my fairing's to be 'covered' in carbon fibre because it looks Better than flashy paint jobs .. IMO

I want it to be flat and smooth and not too patchy.

is it fibre .. or fiber?

have a go at laying woven fiber glass first,as its cheaper then carbon fiber. and see how it turns out. Its the forming around curves and edges that the hard part. Trying not pull the carbon out of shape when applying it is extremly hard.
Has to be perfect as its going to be on show.
Good luck.

imdying
1st August 2007, 21:39
And if you can do that... then you can make a mold :yes: And if you can make a mold, you can make some carbon fairings :yes:

Well, so the theory goes... nothing to lose but time and money (and maybe a little sanity)

Freakshow
2nd August 2007, 10:52
Out of the 10 pieces we made, only one is covering an original piece. it was small and to complex to make a mold. The easy stuff is that which does not wrap around something. for example a tennis ball. grap it with your hand and imagine your hand is the mold. once the mold is hardend how are you going to get the part out un damaged. if you use two hands - two molds, and break them apart then the original falls out but then you have to join two molds and that is getting complex. So when looking at what you are going to mold think of simple parts that dont wrap around. The examples are the visior or the foot pegs. And Covering a mold in Carbon defeats the purpose. Carbon is light and coving the original will gain strenght which is to no great advantage and is just adding weight.