PDA

View Full Version : 93 Kawa ZXR750R M1 (ZX7RR)

JohnBoy
2nd September 2004, 11:19
had this beauty for just over 9 months and loved every min.
have taken it to manfield twice now and had a blast, the track is the only place that you can let it loose cause she dose over 110 in first. but i do occationally give it a good airing around lake karapiro (spelt it worng, sorry) every now and then.
only complaints are the token front brakes. well they work ok but when your well over twice the limit, i like to feel a bit more power from them as you hurtle towards the horizon.
once you get use to the flatsides they are awsome, this is the only bike i know to pull as hard even when right up at 12000rpm as if it were at 8000.
i also use this bike as a commuter between Te awamutu and Ham's a few times a week, have also taken it down to visit mates in wellington about 3 times and its a very comfortable cruiser considering the position and suspension set up. i can ride over 400 k without getting sore back/arse (wrists however, are a different story).
but i am sad to say that i am selling her, as i am a student and money is getting tight.
will be at the kiwi so have a look out for me and the boys and come and have a chat.

:spudwave:

Cajun
2nd September 2004, 11:32
the zx7rr is one of my dream bikes always love the look and style of them use to ride a 90 zxr750r and they had same problems with front brakes

but that never worred me, one day i will get myself another one

FROSTY
14th October 2004, 23:14
funny thing--i thought the brakes on my 89 750 were faulty.
lovely and not overboard on the road but when I had it on the track.-Very wooden feeling and just seemed to have No stopping power compared to my 400 with in theory identical brakes

JohnBoy
18th October 2004, 21:05
just seemed to have No stopping power compared to my 400 with in theory identical brakes
do you have braided lines? a mate of mine is trying to get me into some, but cant afford as yet. do you think that they would make the difference?

750Y
19th October 2004, 11:55
braided lines are overrated & only make a big difference if your existing lines are getting tired. IMHO it is better to spend the money on pads & change the fluid at regular intervals. I'd change the fluid to a top quality fluid & clean the brake discs & fit new pads then run them in as per instructions. that should give You a better result for less money. just my .02

That Guy
19th October 2004, 12:10
kind off the topic - I thought the ZXR750s (H, J) were just that - ZXR, and they were replaced by the ZX7R - I realise its only a brand name but I don't remember the ZXRs ever being called ZX7s? I thought the ZX7R was bought out in 1996 replacing the ZXR750?

FROSTY
19th October 2004, 12:18
actually I must say the brakes have improved heaps since I well basicly just rode the bike. Keep in mind I think mine was standing for 2 years before I got my hands on it.

vifferman
19th October 2004, 12:45
braided lines are overrated & only make a big difference if your existing lines are getting tired. Not entirely true - depends on the bike.
The braided lines aren't going to fix your brakes, nor make them more powerful on their own, but can improve feel substantially. I put them on my VTR (twice), knowing all this (extensive reading of VTR forum posts), and I am really pleased with how they improved the feel and functionality. The standard lines are very spongey, even when new, as they have too much flex. Additionally, there is a kink in the standard brake lines where bubbles gather, making them VERY difficult to get rid of. I cleaned the calipers, polished the cylinders, replaced the seals, and the brakes were still substandard.
After fitting braided lines, braking was always one or two fingers, minimal lever travel, and excellent feel. With new pads as well, they are very good.:spudbooge
Of all the money I've spent on my bike, I'd rate the braided lines as the best value-for-money improvement I've made.

Did I mention they look sexy too? :laugh:

750Y
19th October 2004, 14:02
i guess if your bike has crap gear to start with then you'll notice more of a difference. for me brake improvement on the road is about stopping power.

vifferman
19th October 2004, 14:41
for me brake improvement on the road is about stopping power.Mais certainment.
And if you pull on your brake lever, and a lot of the force you exert is dispersed by rubbery brakelines, friction in the cylinders or whatever, the nett result is less stopping power. You could upgrade the brake disks with ductile cast iron ones, put 6-piston calipers on, yada yada yada, and leave the same crappy lines on, end up with more stopping power, which is ultimately inefficient because modulation of the braking force is difficult due to poor feel.
A silly example I know, but hey. :spudwhat:
Ultimately, the proper route to good brakes is (in order of increasing expense):

Make sure the existing equipment (tyres, pads, disks, lines, cylinders, calipers, joins, etc.) is in optimum working order.
Still not good enough? Replace the pads with better ones.
Still not good enough? Replace the lines with better ones.
Still not good enough? Replace the master cylinder.
Still not good enough? Replace the disks.
Still not good enough? Replace the calipers with better ones.

JohnBoy
20th October 2004, 12:25
kind off the topic - I thought the ZXR750s (H, J) were just that - ZXR, and they were replaced by the ZX7R - I realise its only a brand name but I don't remember the ZXRs ever being called ZX7s? I thought the ZX7R was bought out in 1996 replacing the ZXR750?
ZX7R is the american product name and what you need to quote when buying parts for it. you are correct in saying that it was changed to ZX7R in 1996 here, but it was changed earlier in the states. kind like the yanks call VTR Sp1's, RVT's.

That Guy
21st October 2004, 12:15
ZX7R is the american product name and what you need to quote when buying parts for it. you are correct in saying that it was changed to ZX7R in 1996 here, but it was changed earlier in the states. kind like the yanks call VTR Sp1's, RVT's.

Ah ha! more trivia for my anorak. Thanks.