PDA

View Full Version : Suffering from Road Rage?

jetboy
3rd May 2007, 16:24
PRESS RELEASE
Development of Road Rage Standard
Standards New Zealand has announced the development of a new Standard to deal with road rage. The Standard will guide drivers on how to express their concern about driving behaviour without resorting to abuse or violence. It will also contain useful tips on how to minimise the risk of upsetting other drivers, and how to compliment other drivers on courteous behaviour.
Standards New Zealand Chief Executive Rob Steele says that considerable research has been conducted, and it is fairly conclusive that abuse directed at another driver has absolutely no impact on improving their driving skills.
"Abuse typically results in counter abuse and no change in driving behaviour whatsoever. The Standard will apply the principle that polite, constructive criticism and positive feedback, are much more likely to change driver behaviour and therefore improve road safety."
The new Standard will propose a combination of headlights, horn and hand signal techniques to express specific messages. For example, a short tap on the horn, a quick flash of headlights and a slow and deliberate shaking of the head would indicate to another driver that you are concerned about their driving behaviour.
"Long blasts on the horn and the use of one or two finger salutes are expressly prohibited," says Mr Steele.
The Standard will also specify signals to facilitate courteous driving. "For example, the well recognised circle, formed by the thumb and forefinger, will indicate 'that's ok'. And a sweeping hand across the windscreen will indicate that you are inviting someone into a line of traffic."
The committee is also looking to identify an appropriate signal for drivers who wish to apologise to another driver when they know they have made a mistake. Mr Steele says this particular signal is proving difficult, but the committee is considering a range of options.
The Standard will also contain information about potential warning signs of bad driving. "Hats, for example, can be a useful indicator. A driver wearing a hat is generally a concern, and should be treated with great caution. But drivers who wear caps are not likely to be a problem as they are protected from sun strike, which is a common cause of poor driving."
However, caps worn backwards are an entirely different matter, says Mr Steele. "Backwards cap wearers should always be viewed with suspicion, both on and off the road. Car colour is also a useful indicator, with bright colours being of most concern. However, drivers of silver cars have been shown to be a bit impatient, and we are therefore proposing that all silver cars be given right of way whenever possible."
The public will have an opportunity to comment on the draft Standard later in the year.
"We are expecting to receive considerable feedback on this much needed Standard," says Mr Steele.
The new Standard provisionally titled 'Management of Road Rage Over-reaction Nationally' (MORRON) is expected to be published on April 1 2008.
Press Release dated April 1 2007

...wonder what else you can do with the well recognised circle made with the thumb and forefinger?

Drew
3rd May 2007, 16:28
Did you not notice what the date was when you read that? April FOOL

jetboy
3rd May 2007, 16:45
anyone who believes that silver cars should be given right of way is a fool...red ones should.

Grahameeboy
3rd May 2007, 17:00
What is road rage anyway..............

Did you not notice what the date was when you read that? April FOOL

He still has no reached 300 posts yet....be kind and understanding

mstriumph
3rd May 2007, 17:06
it's GOTTA be a con ............. 'cause there's no mention at ALL of middle aged asian women driving volvos ........ :dodge:

Grahameeboy
3rd May 2007, 17:08
it's GOTTA be a con ............. 'cause there's no mention at ALL of middle aged asian women driving volvos ........ :dodge:

....or Kiwi's driving.....mmmm..cars

Mom
3rd May 2007, 17:14
'Management of Road Rage Over-reaction Nationally' (MORRON) is expected to be published on April 1 2008.
Press Release dated April 1 2007

I think the above sums up what this is about quite well really......:shutup:

jetboy
7th May 2007, 12:08
He still has no reached 300 posts yet....be kind and understanding
in my defence i did notice - im not retarded thanks!

Nasty
7th May 2007, 12:20
Standards New Zealand plays the develop a particulary interesting standard every year on April fools ... just the way they play.

Marmoot
7th May 2007, 12:37

...wonder what else you can do with the well recognised circle made with the thumb and forefinger?
have a wank

Toaster
7th May 2007, 13:01
I need both hands.

Marmoot
7th May 2007, 13:44
I need both hands.

small-hands syndromme?

Toaster
7th May 2007, 13:48
small-hands syndromme?

Geez, I guess I invited that comeback didn't I!

... I have size 13 boots thanks.

jetboy
7th May 2007, 13:51
have a wank
dont mind if i do - thanks :)

blacksheep
7th May 2007, 13:53

... I have size 13 boots thanks.so the theory is wrong then?:dodge:

Toaster
7th May 2007, 14:06
so the theory is wrong then?:dodge:

Don't make me post pictures now..... I don't want to go to the sin bin.

Marmoot
7th May 2007, 15:54

... I have size 13 boots thanks.

Must....resist.....temptation....arghhh cannot help it....

Small hands and big feet? You must look ugly :sunny:

NighthawkNZ
7th May 2007, 16:11
You must look ugly :sunny:

Not to his parents...

Toaster
7th May 2007, 19:16
Not to his parents...

What are parents? Momma is still in the zoo and Poppa is still in jail for beastiality.