PDA

View Full Version : Am I riding like a cock?

disenfranchised
4th May 2007, 10:31
Every morning on my ride to work I lane split down Gt North Rd.

This morning, as soon as I got to Gt North Rd, there was another biker in front of me, who started lane splitting also. As he looked to be on a full sized bike and didn't have an L plate attached, I figured he'd cruise smoothly down the middle.

Not the case.

He didn't seem very confident at lane splitting, as he passed each car he'd brake before he got to the next one...wait right behind and then pass it..kept doing this one car at a time the whole way.

I was extremely frustrated by the whole thing, as it's normally a fairly smooth run, and instead I was forced to constantly brake and wait.

So I sat directly on his arse the whole way...hoping that as the traffic speed picked up a bit, he'd enter a lane properly and allow me to get past...but he didn't do that either...and I know he knew I was there, as I could see him continually checking me in his mirrors.

So my question is....am I being a bit of a cock by getting too impatient?
Or should he have moved out of the way when it was safe to do so?

Drum
4th May 2007, 10:34
He should have moved out of the way, and you need to be more patient.

What's the hurry? You're only going to work.

placidfemme
4th May 2007, 10:46
I agree that he/she should have moved out your way, but a little patience goes a long way...

maybe you'll be lucky and he/she is a KBer and will read this and will move over in future...

I often get someone on a blue suzuki 250 up onewa road that does the same thing... splits like a retard up onewa rd and once the cars merge into one lane he hoons up the centre lane like he's been chased by demons... really pisses me off

crashe
4th May 2007, 10:55
Patience is a virtue they say......

What about trying to flash your lights at him/her and then signal for them to move over.

Or even toot your horn to get their attention... unless they have those ipod thingee's on and then they will never hear you.

I have come across a rider who did that as well. I either go up and around the outside of a few cars and get back in ahead of them..... or just twiddle my thumbs waiting for them to go.

Maybe they were taught to do that.... or maybe they are only just learning to lane split... they could be on a new bike and still learning how she handles.
There could be lots of reasons why they do this.

Squeak the Rat
4th May 2007, 11:01
It's just too tempting: You're a cock!

ManDownUnder
4th May 2007, 11:04
He should have moved out of the way, and you need to be more patient.

+1.

If you get the chance... use a gap in the traffic on either side, and fill it as son as you can. You'll ease up along side the bike in question... and hopefully past it, then you're away.

If it takes an extr 2 mins to get to work while you wait to pass - is it really going to kill you?

daaatomic
4th May 2007, 11:06
if i were holding someone up, i would prefer that they let me know. by flashing their lights or honking. i hate when people hold me up, and same goes for vice versa.

riffer
4th May 2007, 11:09
It's not worth pissing others off. Most motorcyclists are worse than cagers when it comes to looking in their mirrors.

Back off, move to another lane and go through that way.

bobsmith
4th May 2007, 14:40
patience is overrated.

Maha
4th May 2007, 14:43
Damn......read the thread title and thought...mmm dont remember posting that?....:no:

cowboyz
4th May 2007, 15:24
Is there a future search button to read all the threads that start with "I was going don the motorway and this impatient git started flashing his lights and beeping his horn at me"......... Should be here soon.

Bikers are definitely more egotistical than car drivers and the hint that someone else wants/can get somewhere faster than you is going to cause a riot. I would duck in another way rather than honking at someone.

Nasty
4th May 2007, 15:38
patience is overrated.

So is intellengence and lots of people want it.

FROSTY
4th May 2007, 15:44
To save starting another thread I wanna warn someone.
You ride down the Norwestern motorway at 5.30-6.30
You are on a smaller bike--250/400
Your bike is WHITE with what looks like new unpainted custom fairings and a LED taillight.
You were weaving in and out of the cars like a drunkard. then cut across the bows of a car forcing him to brake heavilly.
Dude I was about 2 cars behind you and your riding terrified me --and it takes a lot to scare me.
Whoever you are --Change ya splitting style or you're gonna be minced by a blind cager

Matt Bleck
4th May 2007, 15:56
you like riding cock?!

Kittyhawk
4th May 2007, 16:44
If it was me, I'd have changed lanes and over took him. But its not something to get impatient about. Everyone is in the same boat at rush hour. Just relax.

If there is a smooth flow of traffic at constant speed. And no off/on ramps then the lane splitting should be smooth too. He/she shouldn't need to rely on the brakes while passing every car.

Could possibly be a confidence factor or lack of experience, dosent know the bike, or just having a bad day.

Toaster
4th May 2007, 16:49
Stick out ya arm and clothesline that sucker outta there.

.... you are only a cock if you feel like one.

Kittyhawk
4th May 2007, 17:01
Stick out ya arm and clothesline that sucker outta there.

.... you are only a cock if you feel like one.

mmMMmm what kind of clothes line ??

And what if I feel like one now lol!:innocent:

mstriumph
4th May 2007, 17:50
........................So my question is....am I being a bit of a cock by getting too impatient?

yes to both
but moreso to the second

disenfranchised
4th May 2007, 18:30
It's just too tempting: You're a cock!

I expected better....

you like riding cock?!

Ahhhh, that's what I expected :shutup:

disenfranchised
4th May 2007, 18:33
If it was me, I'd have changed lanes and over took him. But its not something to get impatient about. Everyone is in the same boat at rush hour. Just relax.

If there is a smooth flow of traffic at constant speed. And no off/on ramps then the lane splitting should be smooth too. He/she shouldn't need to rely on the brakes while passing every car.

Could possibly be a confidence factor or lack of experience, dosent know the bike, or just having a bad day.

Not much chance to change lanes, it's Gt North Rd not the motorway, so there are only the two lanes...and I never much fancied riding on the wrong side of the road.

Will have to try flashing lights next time

Mom
4th May 2007, 18:46
As he looked to be on a full sized bike and didn't have an L plate attached, I figured he'd cruise smoothly down the middle.

So I sat directly on his arse the whole way...hoping that as the traffic speed picked up a bit, he'd enter a lane properly and allow me to get past...but he didn't do that either...and I know he knew I was there, as I could see him continually checking me in his mirrors.

Mate.........were you ever uncertain? Just because someone is riding a "full sized bike" does not mean she/he is confident riding in that situation... You say they saw you in their mirrors, ok they saw you, yes they probably should have moved out of your way, but what the hell makes you think that riding their arse if they were already uncertain about what they were doing would "HELP" the situation. I get so pissed about people that have no time for the I am learning how to do this brigade. For what it is worth, yes you were a cock in this situation. Congratulations for scaring the fuck out of someone probably trying to be cool like you!!!!!!!!

Grahameeboy
4th May 2007, 18:48
Patience is a virtue they say......

What about trying to flash your lights at him/her and then signal for them to move over.

Or even toot your horn to get their attention... unless they have those ipod thingee's on and then they will never hear you.

I have come across a rider who did that as well. I either go up and around the outside of a few cars and get back in ahead of them..... or just twiddle my thumbs waiting for them to go.

Maybe they were taught to do that.... or maybe they are only just learning to lane split... they could be on a new bike and still learning how she handles.
There could be lots of reasons why they do this.

....and Virtue is a Grace
and Grace is a little girl
Who forgot to wash her face

Grub
4th May 2007, 18:53
So my question is....am I being a bit of a cock by getting too impatient? Or should he have moved out of the way when it was safe to do so?

I believe he was being the responsible rider and you were being a prat. I'm not looking forward to the thread about how a car pulled in front of you and knocked you off ... because everyone will blame the "stupid cage driver".

Grahameeboy
4th May 2007, 18:54
Never seen a cock riding a bike but have seen this

Grahameeboy
4th May 2007, 18:56
I believe he was being the responsible rider and you were being a dangerous prat. I'm not looking forward to the thread about how a car pulled in front of you and knocked you off ... because everyone will blame the "stupid cage driver".

Bit harsh..he was asking for advice, was not being arrogant and criticising the guy.

Yes as a fellow biker he should just be happy to follow. That is all.

Nasty
4th May 2007, 19:03
Bit harsh..he was asking for advice, was not being arrogant and criticising the guy.

Yes as a fellow biker he should just be happy to follow. That is all.

True and we offered as a group advice .. but one person offered a reality check ... scary really.:dodge:

Grahameeboy
4th May 2007, 19:05
True and we offered as a group advice .. but one person offered a reality check ... scary really.:dodge:

You mean the people on this site are reality..............:shit:

Nasty
4th May 2007, 19:07

Nah really .. I am jsut a nasty bitch .. and I come from hell for fkn fun :sunny:

Grahameeboy
4th May 2007, 19:11
Nah really .. I am jsut a nasty bitch .. and I come from hell for fkn fun :sunny:

Fun is your grub then??

Mom
4th May 2007, 19:13

Some of us are..............:love:

disenfranchised
4th May 2007, 19:47
Mate.........were you ever uncertain?

Not really...no...I think that came from riding a bicycle for many years in city traffic before I ever started with motoorbikes. I'm still a learner at the mo...but the whole process has been easy...probably too easy for my own good.

Still I'm taking all the comments in.
Seems to be a slightly devided opinion between my "cock"iness or not.

I never thought about flashing lights or honking, so I was sitting on his arse so that he could definitely see me...and there really wasn't anywhere else to go.

Oh did I mention that at a set of orange lights he suddenly gunned it and rocketed ahead...so I don't think confidence was a problem for him

Toaster
4th May 2007, 19:59
mmMMmm what kind of clothes line ??

And what if I feel like one now lol!:innocent:

And you want an answer to that?! :gob:

Jantar
4th May 2007, 20:04
As a rider who doesn't ride the Auckland traffic every day, it sounds to me like he was being prudent and cautious. He was making sure that the car in front wasn't about to change lanes unexpectedly, and that the gap was wide enough for his bike. If you didn't have room to pass him, then maybe he didn't have room to let you pass either.

On the Southern Cross ride, we hit Auckland just at the start of rush hour. With the panniers on the VStrom my bike was far too wide to split consistantly, so I sent Highlander (on a narrower bike) off ahead. From Spaghetti Junction to Bombay there was less than 2 minutes difference in our travel times. I might add that I did see another wide-ish bike attempt to split through a gap a couple of vehicles ahead of me. He didn't have room and rubbed against a car and a van before backing off and waiting for another gap.

Kittyhawk
4th May 2007, 20:35
And you want an answer to that?! :gob:

Lol well.....never you mind haha...

Is it easier to lane split on a cruiser tho?

terbang
4th May 2007, 20:59
Cock......

crashe
4th May 2007, 22:39
Is it easier to lane split on a cruiser tho?

Well it is easy for me to lane split on my cruiser.
But then I have been doing that for years on my bike.
I can judge the distance between the car/vehicles quite well for my bike.

But I have never ridden a sportbike to compare between the two types of bikes (sportbikes and cruiser's) thou for lane splitting.

skidMark
4th May 2007, 23:12
Damn......read the thread title and thought...mmm dont remember posting that?....:no:

yeah same here expect i already know i ride like a cock, well more a dork...a 10 foot long whales penis....

skidMark
4th May 2007, 23:13
But I have never ridden a sportbike to compare between the two types of bikes thou.

damn ahahaha new signature for me...

FROSTY
5th May 2007, 00:06
Dude to answer the origonal question--YES
Heres why in my opinion.
If you were right behind him You have immediately cut down his available options--IE He is having to think of YOU and your actions as well as His own

Pancakes
7th May 2007, 13:01
Whether they should have moved is irrelevant, you can't make someone else do anything, you think they saw you, if they did they didn't move. If they didn't they still didn't move so you need to decide, is there no way around and if so chill out, trying to hurry someone up who isn't going to won't help your demeamour for once they're gone and you can let loose. If there is then do what you want. Control yourself, your the only one who can.

Metalor
7th May 2007, 22:15
Sorry to the person on a green sports bike I nearly took out last wednesday night on the north western. I'm still on me L plates and only been riding properly for 3 weeks. I was lane splitting and pulled into a gap in the middle lane on the north western for a second or two then traffic slowed again and I jumped back between the lanes (without checking my mirrors) and as I did the poor bugger on the bike mentioned swerved to miss me as he was lane splitting aswell.

Lucky there was a gap in the right hand lane for them to move into.

So yeah, I'm really sorry, and I'll be checking my mirrors all the time now and I'm glad I didn't take the both of us out!

You were goin pretty fucken fast though!!!

On that thought, if anyone has seen someone riding a red volty with a pack rack riding on the north western that's me and please feel free to comment on my riding and what I'm doin wrong/right, I want to know so I don't get into any bad habits.

Squeak the Rat
9th May 2007, 13:23
Sorry to the person on a green sports bike I nearly took out last wednesday night on the north western. I'm still on me L plates and only been riding properly for 3 weeks. I was lane splitting and pulled into a gap in the middle lane on the north western for a second or two then traffic slowed again and I jumped back between the lanes (without checking my mirrors) and as I did the poor bugger on the bike mentioned swerved to miss me as he was lane splitting aswell.

Lucky there was a gap in the right hand lane for them to move into.

So yeah, I'm really sorry, and I'll be checking my mirrors all the time now and I'm glad I didn't take the both of us out!

You were goin pretty fucken fast though!!!

On that thought, if anyone has seen someone riding a red volty with a pack rack riding on the north western that's me and please feel free to comment on my riding and what I'm doin wrong/right, I want to know so I don't get into any bad habits.

You're a cock too! :rofl:

Pancakes
11th June 2007, 20:46

This morning, as soon as I got to Gt North Rd, there was another biker in front of me, who started lane splitting also. As he looked to be on a full sized bike and didn't have an L plate attached, I figured he'd cruise smoothly down the middle.

Not the case.

He didn't seem very confident at lane splitting, as he passed each car he'd brake before he got to the next one...wait right behind and then pass it..kept doing this one car at a time the whole way.

I was extremely frustrated by the whole thing, as it's normally a fairly smooth run, and instead I was forced to constantly brake and wait.

Was it an RF900, rider really short/little and looked like they had no neck? They were in front of me the other day heading NW on SH16 and got off at Te Atatu, hard on the gas for a split second and then sitting between cars, quite often slowing so much the cars were passing them!!

Man it fucked me off, for a while they didn't see me but after a while I know they had seen me for sure a few times and passed some big gaps too. If this is the same person then everything I have said about self control and have to say they pissed me off bad! Them and the person who was holding up me and the guy who rides another hyo the other day, man, what frustrating riding. Slow is fine, take things at your own pace for sure but man it was annoying, let people go once you have a chance dammit.

BigRed2007
12th June 2007, 08:28
man the whole purpose of having a bike is having fun and enjoying the ride.

Even if your going to work just relax and enjoy the ride.

Dont rush, if u rush u create an oppurtunity for accidents.

What would happen if you were behind him and he looked at you rather than some cage in front and he got taken out?

Just relax and go earlier next time

Morcs
12th June 2007, 10:31

If its the section from where Rata street joins the GT north then all the way to the motorway, then it can sometimes be tricky, cars are always too far over and changing lines quite a bit, Ive rarely had a straight run through there.

Sitting on the arse of someone who obviously isnt comfortable with lane splitting isnt wise at all, you could quite easily force them into a mistake, so be patient.

Yes they should pull over, but finding a gap and moving into it whilst splitting in slow traffic with no gaps cant always be possible.

Quasievil
12th June 2007, 10:40

Not the case.

I am often taking a 22 wheel 30-40 tonne mack truck up the Auckland motorways in peak hours of traffic and personally I fucken hate it when bikes shoot the gap and lane split, the reason is I often cannot see them therefore I cannot make allowances for them or take a extra precaution on their behalf. I had one incident when I was quite safely making a lane change when a biker came fyin up my inside in a weaving pattern between me and another truck, the idiot would not have known it was a second or so and he would have been turned into paste under my truck.
From a truckers point of view I ask all to take extra precaution when passing trucks, they are slow and very unsteady, they require many steering inputs and they do not stop in a hurry.
And Cars well dont even start, I get cut off usually once a day by a car, I dont pull over anymore unless there is a passing lane, for some reason if I do pull over the car drivers brains stop working and they put all the trust in me forgeting their own safety completely and do the most outrageous things, like crossing centre line, passing me when I have my indicator on to pull back into traffic etc etc etc.

Slow down take your time and live, its better fun than being dead

FROSTY
12th June 2007, 10:51
ohh no quazi--don't ask the hard done by biker to accept personal responsibility. Ask him to back off or think thatthe trucky may not see him.Or that the truck may have sand in it that could blow in his eyes.
Doncha know--ITS ALWAYS SOMEONE ELSES FAULT

Rosie
12th June 2007, 11:13
man the whole purpose of having a bike is having fun and enjoying the ride.

Even if your going to work just relax and enjoy the ride.

Dont rush, if u rush u create an oppurtunity for accidents.

What would happen if you were behind him and he looked at you rather than some cage in front and he got taken out?

Just relax and go earlier next time

:niceone: Good attitude! May it serve you well in your motorcyling career :scooter:

Pancakes
13th June 2007, 20:19
That was the tone of my first post and I'm generally pretty relaxed, I don't get up peoples ass or anything like that but don't say you've NEVER been frustrated by a rider infront of you. My second post was a bit of a vent/rant.

If people are stop/start splitting they are forming bad habits. I recon holding a steady speed is safer, your speed being constant puts you into a position to better judge others movements relative to your own.

I'm human, I get annoyed. I make nice Pancakes.

delusionz
13th June 2007, 21:40
I think people on 2 wheels have a right to not get stuck in traffic. But some people think it's ok to ride between 2 moving cars. I just use spaces like a car normally would and bus lanes when available to get ahead that seems to work for me

slickaz
4th September 2007, 11:36
Im sorry..but what is Lane Splitting?? driving between 2 cars ie 2 lanes? or actually switching from lane to lane to get thru traffic in any random manner?

HungusMaximist
4th September 2007, 12:26
I have to admit, I rode like a cock last Friday on the central motorway towards Greenlane. It was around quarter to five and I was riding between the New Market stretch and was lane spiltting.

During one of my spiltting antics I couldn't really could be bothered waiting for a bigger gap to clear between 2 cars and decide I'll take my chance and rode straight through. I nudged/smacked my right hand mirror into one the mirrors of a car on my right. Yep, it was pretty shocking and probably fucked off the driver big time.

Yea, yea I should've waved to say sorry but I didn't, I was too busy concentrating how to split the next stretch and how not to get totalled by peak hour traffic.

But yes, I have learnt to judge gaps more carefully next time. Probably a little more patience doesn't hurt either.

jeremysprite
4th September 2007, 13:15
I ride between two moving cars all the time - i find it's safer than randomly gapsing into car-sized spaces. I will slide across to these gaps, but will generally ride on the lhs of the lh lane, indicator flashing right.
And then once or twice a month I will ride in a manner i consider stupid - doing 30-40k's faster than the traffic, in the 'middle lane'. That's what I would consider 'riding like a cock'.

hospitalfood
4th September 2007, 13:20
don't bug the rider in front, let him ride his ride and find another way past.

discotex
4th September 2007, 17:03
Im sorry..but what is Lane Splitting?? driving between 2 cars ie 2 lanes? or actually switching from lane to lane to get thru traffic in any random manner?

Yep, splitting (or filtering) is riding between the lanes of cars. Particularly on the motorway.

bomma
5th September 2007, 12:18
I ride between two moving cars all the time - i find it's safer than randomly gapsing into car-sized spaces. I will slide across to these gaps, but will generally ride on the lhs of the lh lane, indicator flashing right.
And then once or twice a month I will ride in a manner i consider stupid - doing 30-40k's faster than the traffic, in the 'middle lane'. That's what I would consider 'riding like a cock'.

such wisdom :clap:

just coz you're riding like a cock doesnt mean you have to ride like a dum cock!! nobody will stop you from riding your ride but make sure that you dnt push other bikers into spots where they are not comfortable......braking often could be the least of your worries...take a deep breath and save that emotion and take it out in the weekend on a stretch of windies away from all civilisation :2thumbsup