PDA

View Full Version : Team Metalform Racing - Vic Club Round 5

nicko
2nd September 2004, 17:30
Team Metalform Racing 28 August - Vic Club Round 5 @ Manfield

Ice and snow wasn’t going to stop Team Metalform Racing heading down to Manfield – it is a winter series after all! After a careful drive through the Desert Rd Mike and Nick were on the way to the 5th of 6 Victoria motorcycle club rounds. With Mike sitting in first place in Formula 1 and Nick second in both Formula 1 and Formula 2 leading into the event we had a strong points tally with 2 rounds to go. Here’s how we got on at yet another well run Victoria club road race event.

Nick Odermatt #80 Formula 1 and Formula 2

Now call me a soft Aucklander but Saturday was bloody cold! Snowing on us on the way down and the Wellington crew reporting it snowing on them on the way up, the day being so cold was probably one of the reasons I was quite stoked to do my personal best laptime. I’m a lot happier on the bike now as I had my suspension serviced recently and it has worked wonders with me feeling more comfortable with the bike every time I jump on.

Qualifying was tentative on a very cold track but I was pleased to sit on the front row in 4th position for both classes. The day was slowly warming up but it was taking it’s time. I qualified and raced the first couple of races on a set of Mike’s old slicks, they slide quite predictably but the problem was they were sliding a bit too much and I wasn’t getting very good drive out of the corners. The first F2 race I got away to an early lead and pushed as hard as I could through the 6 laps, Darron Wheeler put in a stellar couple of last laps and nearly had me at the last corner but I held my position to the line to win the first race. A good start.

The first F1 race had a good line up of 1000cc bikes with some racers preparing for the nationals and getting some time back on the bike. I had a good start and while in 3rd place a rider high-sided coming out of Higgins which red-flagged the race. Onto the restart and not such a good start from me, Grant Russell was riding well on his GSXR 1000 and I settled behind him for a 4th place.

I decided to treat myself and throw on a set of new tyres as this may be my last round doing the short circuit till the nationals and I wanted a good indication of my laptimes. Went out in the F2 race, got the holeshot, won the race by a good margin and got my personal best laptime in the process of a 1.12.65. I should put on new tyres more often! The next F1 race I headed out and got my fastest time for the day and my new best personal best of a 1.12.35. I’ve still got at least another second to scrape off before I’m right on the pace for the nationals but I managed consistent mid 12’s so I’m in a good position to work from. That F1 race I finished with a placing, 3rd behind Mike and John Fallwell.

The last F2 race was an extended 7 lapper, I landed the holeshot again and put my head down to put in some good laps, stayed ahead of the pack and picked up another win. Another plus is my 3 wins now have me leading the series in the F2 class.

The last F1 race was also 7 laps, got into 2nd off the line then Mike passed me not long after and I raced on in 3rd. It started to rain lightly during about the 4th lap and I held my position to the line for 3rd overall in the race and to finish 3rd as well overall for the day. F1 still has me in 2nd place overall behind my team-mate Mike.

It was a great day for me and I’d like to extend my thanks to everyone who assisted on the weekend and the day, thanks to Derek for the hospitality and as always thanks to my sponsors for their support.

Cheers,
Nicko

Mike Smith #44 Formula 1

Well the drive down from Auckland to Manfield on Friday night was a little tricky through the Desert Road area but all went well and we arrived safely at Derek Cunningham’s place for the night. Thanks for the bed and the great food Derek.

Getting up at 6:30am on a very cold morning was a little tough but at least the sky was clear. We got to the track around 7:30am and set up in the pits. I was looking forward to the days racing as some more of the Auckland riders had come down with their hot Suzuki 1000’s and Sean Aitken was back from Wellington riding a similar R1 to mine.

Practice was dry but very cold so times were nothing flash and I qualified 2nd behind Sean. The first race was interesting as I was getting some very large wobbles down each straight section of the track. The bike was fine in the corners but not much fun when I tried to open the throttle, after changing a very well used rear tyre all was back to normal. Unfortunately the race was red flagged on the second lap with Sean having an off, we restarted the remaining 4 laps and I managed to get past John Fallwell on the second to last lap for the win.

Race two and not such a good start let John run away to a handy lead and as has happened many times saw Nick leading me around for the first lap. I got past Nick and pushed on to catching Dave, I did this over a couple of laps and set the fastest lap of the day in the process but I could not get past. I made one pass at the end of the front straight but then lost traction around the right-hander and this let John back through. I had one more chance when John went very close to coming off in a huge high-side but managed somehow to stay on the bike to take the win.

Race three same thing chasing John down but this time I got passed and pulled a small gap. It had started to rain and as it got harder I back off a little allowing John on my tail, as he has not ridden in the other round and had a 9th in the first race after a little grass tracking I did not need to win at all cost and let him by to take another win for the day.

So I finish with one win, two seconds and first for the round which extends my lead in the series. Well done to my team-mate Nick who had a very good weekend and thanks again to all our sponsors and to Derek for the accommodation.

Mike Smith.

Team Metalform Racing would like to thank the following for their support:
Metalforming Technologies, Bike Torque Racing, Haldane Tyres, Il Woo Industries, Pacific Direct Lines, Corporate Design, Pacific Freight Management, Waikato Sandblasting Services, Armour Linings, Fredco Motors, Metzeler Tyres, FFM Helmets, GP Star Leathers, Nazran Gloves, Maxima, Izumi Race Chains, Forma Boots, Total lubricants

Two Smoker
6th September 2004, 19:55
Once again awesome write up guys, cant wait too be there on sunday watching you guys race :niceone: