PDA

View Full Version : Motor tuning liquids?

The Lone Rider
4th May 2007, 18:12
Waundering through the Warehouse motoring section (looking for polishes of course), I notice all these bottles of liquids. Each one is labeled such as "Put in Petrol Tank" or "Put In Oil" and each says something about how it increases this or that in your motor.

WTF is that stuff and does it work (or do anything)? I was thinking of getting the one to go in my petrol tank.

Edbear
4th May 2007, 18:26
Save your money! If your engine is healthy, you're using a good quality oil and changing it on schedule, you are doing all you need to do. Standard oils are a carefully researched blend of oil and additives designed to protect your engine.

Take note of manufacturers' recommendations.

Only thing that may help is a bottle of injector cleaner if you suspect your injectors may be partially fouled.

The Lone Rider
4th May 2007, 18:32
Not that I've been changing my oil (or know when or how to yet) since Ive had it for 4 months.

Just wondering what the hell those things were and if they are worth getting once in awhile to give me a bit more acceration or meaner sounding engine or something, if they did that.

Mully
4th May 2007, 18:53
I agree with Ed. (I'm pretty sure Ed was waiting for my approval) No benefit to them. And you may do damage to seals, etc with some of them.

xwhatsit
4th May 2007, 18:54
Not that I've been changing my oil (or know when or how to yet) since Ive had it for 4 months.

Just wondering what the hell those things were and if they are worth getting once in awhile to give me a bit more acceration or meaner sounding engine or something, if they did that.

Lol I'd stay away from `magic in a bottle'. My cynical side says they're marketed purely for the gullible, and are designed for cars at any rate. Motorcycle engines seem to be much more sensitive than car lumps -- for example they respond much more dramatically to old stale fuel, so I'd keep any of that shit out of my carbs.

You haven't changed your oil in 4 months?!?! Holy shit. It will not be oil any more, more like some slightly slippery gunge. Change it quicksmart, or get a bike shop to do it (shouldn't be very expensive), it'll make the engine feel smoother, clutch will feel nicer, shifting gears will feel silky -- and you'll be substantially reducing engine wear.

Think of an oil change like brushing your teeth. If you do it regularly you'll save yourself pain later on -- and pick up more chicks as your breath/exhaust doesn't stink :D

Edbear
4th May 2007, 18:54
They are basically a blend of oil additives, often containing what are called PTF's to improve the slipperyness of oil. However, some may hasten the blocking up of the oil filter or "gum-up" the piston rings.

The only additive I ever used that ever seemed to make any noticeable difference to any vehicle was STP Diesel additive in a well worn diesel engine. Probably could have done the same if I'd used a thicker oil.

As I said, engine oils are well researched by the oil companies and if these extra additives were worth anything the oil companies would be marketing them.

If you've had your bike for 4 months and don't know when it was last serviced, being 13 years old, I'd recommend getting it done if you plan on keeping it very long. If you don't have a manual for it, you could do a Google search and find the specs, or take it to a mechanic you can trust.

Edbear
4th May 2007, 18:56
I agree with Ed. (I'm pretty sure Ed was waiting for my approval).

But of course!:yes:

The Lone Rider
4th May 2007, 19:02
They are basically a blend of oil additives, often containing what are called PTF's to improve the slipperyness of oil. However, some may hasten the blocking up of the oil filter or "gum-up" the piston rings.

The only additive I ever used that ever seemed to make any noticeable difference to any vehicle was STP Diesel additive in a well worn diesel engine. Probably could have done the same if I'd used a thicker oil.

As I said, engine oils are well researched by the oil companies and if these extra additives were worth anything the oil companies would be marketing them.

If you've had your bike for 4 months and don't know when it was last serviced, being 13 years old, I'd recommend getting it done if you plan on keeping it very long. If you don't have a manual for it, you could do a Google search and find the specs, or take it to a mechanic you can trust.

I bought it from a dealer, it would have been serviced by them. 2-4 months I ve had it anyway.

Motig
5th May 2007, 09:34
I did try some stuff that was meant to clean hydraulic tappets in the mazda. Wouldn't have the faintest idea if it did anything.

Storm
5th May 2007, 09:41
I used some injector cleaner in my car once, and it obviously had some filthy injectors, because it dropped my fuel usage by a third!
Dunno about bikes though, although the octane booster did seem to give my GN a little bit more top end :D

davereid
5th May 2007, 10:22
My mums little car was absolutely stuffed, blowing blue smoke - looked like a 2-stroke. My pal had some slick-50 for f'd engines and we put that it, and it worked great. It stopped blowing smoke and went really well. Then about 5000 km later it dropped a rod and that was the end. I'm no longer quite as cynical as I was about Slick50 and those kind of products. But I'm still no convert either !

rudolph
5th May 2007, 10:40
Rember that stuf MOTOR UP? that stuf would glaze your cylinder bore so badley.

They baned the stuf in the US but they still sell it here

The Pastor
5th May 2007, 11:22
Rember that stuf MOTOR UP? that stuf would glaze your cylinder bore so badley.

They baned the stuf in the US but they still sell it here

don't tell magua that, hes been bought by advertising!

skidMark
5th May 2007, 11:51
haha well motorup doing that is the least of your worrys put it in a bike and since engine oil is used for the clutch, it makes them slippery and useless glazes em...fucks em.....by by clutch plates....

Sniper
5th May 2007, 13:01
Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole....

Put some of the oil additive stuff in a worked motor (Back when I played with cars) of my starlet. 2 weeks later I had to rebuild the entire engine again.

Timber020
5th May 2007, 23:23
Many of the additives are just bigger doses of what is put in the oil anyhow.

Oil is like a cake, different ingrediants carefully measured and applied. Now by adding an additive is often like adding a few more cups of sugar to the mix.

Some additives do work, and work well. But they are few and far between.

A guy I worked with had a nice SSS sentra, and put some additive that thinned out the oil and was supposed increase economy, HP and to clean the engine. It did it all right, cleaning out all the build up that was holding the oil in, engine dropped enough oil to make GW Bush want to invade its garage.

Henk
5th May 2007, 23:30
As far as I know most of the oil additives try to work by coating everything with a thin layer of Teflon to make the sliperier (is that a word?) As stated above, not a great idea when you have a wet clutch. Wet clutches are also the main reason that car oils with "Friction modifiers" are a bad idea in bikes.

Hitcher
6th May 2007, 14:28
It's crap. Homoeopathy or aromatherapy for the internal combustion engine. Waste your money if you must. Just don't pretend it works or coin a bogus description for it like "alternative medicine".