PDA

View Full Version : Running out of gas

MaxCannon
4th May 2007, 22:59
So who's run out of gas.

Just before I left work I thought it might be time to fill up, but I wanted to get home early as I was planning on going out for dinner with the Mrs.

Just coming up to the Mangere bridge (only part of my commute with no shoulder to pull onto) and the bike starts cutting out.

Bit of panic as I'd never had to switch to reserve before and stopping on the bridge wouldn't be a good option.
Fortunately it spluttered it's way over (no thanks to the dick that pulled in front of me with no signal !) and I pulled to the side on the offramp.

Engine stopped just as I touched the reserve switch.

Next bike will definetly have a Fuel gauge.

skidMark
4th May 2007, 23:33
take a hand off the bars and tur,n it while ur movi,ng whats the big issue, ive had to change to reserve at 180kph once, still had no trouble, it aint going to fly you off down the road by letting go of the bar for one second

hitting reserve aint a big issue you will still get about 30 k's out of it on a gn but yer u might wanna fill up soon after lol

Drum
4th May 2007, 23:49
You don't really need a fuel gauge.

You've just gotta be able to switch to reserve in motion, while still looking ahead. It's worth practicing.

It pays to know your bike well. Let it run to reserve and note the mileage. There's no excuse for running out of gas (sound of stone passing through glass).

Filterer
4th May 2007, 23:52
Hrm try leaving the bike on reserve after you fill up.

Means that next time you heading down the motorway just after the Khyber pass exit heading north on the southern motorway you run out of gas in the fast lane..... Now that was a long walk of shame!!

Always always triple check you have switched the bike back to the normal position
And as the others said practice changing to and from reserve while the bike is moving

ZeroIndex
5th May 2007, 12:43
I ran out of gas 2 days ago... 15 metres from the petrol station, and also about a week ago, 30ish metres from the petrol station, but that time, i was still moving, so i just rolled up to the pump

Lissa
5th May 2007, 14:12
I ran out of gas yesterday. Had no idea how far I could go on my Bandit as its new to me. But after stopping and putting it on reserve (even after the person I was riding with thought it COULDNT be the gas as to why the bike stopped ;) ) I got to the petrol station and filled up. At least I know how far I can get now without refuelling!

Nasty
5th May 2007, 14:25
You don't really need a fuel gauge.

You've just gotta be able to switch to reserve in motion, while still looking ahead. It's worth practicing.

It pays to know your bike well. Let it run to reserve and note the mileage. There's no excuse for running out of gas (sound of stone passing through glass).

Took me bit of practice .. but now I can change do it without problem ... also pays to do gas tracking for a couple of weeks .. you will see the pattern form and know when you really need to gas up. In other words Drums right.:yes:

skelstar
5th May 2007, 15:23
...even after the person I was riding with thought it COULDNT be the gas as to why the bike stopped ;)
Least I was having a go at trying to find the fricken problem...and not sitting down smoking!

Rosie
5th May 2007, 15:28
I've run the bike to reserve quite a few times, but only run out completely once. Luckily b/f had his 18 litre tank fitted, and is an expert at lending people fuel. I'd been on reserve for about 30km when we stopped at a cafe for lunch, bought some juice in a glass bottle, and used the empty bottle about 10k's down the road to pop a bit more fuel into the KR. That was enough to get me back to Taupo. The bike normally gets to reserve at 170k's and I'd done about 240 by the time we got to the petrol station, so it was pretty good going.
I'm unconvinced about fuel gauges. At first I thought it was pretty cool that my bike had a fuel gauge, but in reality using the tripmeter is far more reliable, so I don't bother with the gauge any more.

MaxCannon
5th May 2007, 16:07
Well I wasn't sure if there would be a cut out switching from main to reserve and on the Motorway wasn't the place to test it out for thwe first time.

For the record I've checked it's back on main about 9 times now, each time I go in the garage I think, did I really put it back - maybe I need to check again.

speeding_ant
5th May 2007, 18:26
Was travelling from Wellington to Palmerston (on a very tight budget) on my old RG150 AE. Thought to myself "I should be sweet to get to palmy without filling up" when I stopped in Levin. Boy was I wrong. Switched to reserve about 5 minutes from Levin. I kept on going... :shutup: Here is the great part.. I ran out of petrol and came to a rolling stop, quite literally :gob: , outside of Linton petrol station just on closing time. I ran my bike accross the road and filled up. I really didnt want to walk my bike for an hour to get some petrol.. So yeah.. that was very lucky

Lissa
5th May 2007, 18:39
Least I was having a go at trying to find the fricken problem...and not sitting down smoking!
I was stress relieving... because I KNEW it was it had run out of petrol and you had to try and take my bike apart to fix the problem. :D But thanks anyway... 11 litres.. plus 3.5 reserve (I looked it up) ;)

Grahameeboy
5th May 2007, 18:41
Yep I ran out of gas when I put deisel in it....whoops........

JimO
5th May 2007, 19:22
i used to work with a guy who wouls occasionally turn the gas off on your bike while you were putting your helmet / gear on nearly had me killed once on a rd 200 as i passed a car and pulled back in front it started to die i was going around 70 mph

Grahameeboy
5th May 2007, 19:34
i used to work with a guy who wouls occasionally turn the gas off on your bike while you were putting your helmet / gear on nearly had me killed once on a rd 200 as i passed a car and pulled back in front it started to die i was going around 70 mph

Remember the RD days...........the RD200's were nice bikes

jeremysprite
5th May 2007, 19:36
Just returned about 20mins ago from running out of fuel just before the Tristram offramp. Pushed it about 300m off the mway, thanks to the loser WRX who ripped past me at 80k's, the other losers, and the one bike I saw. You didn't stop. (It's all right I'll forgive you one day, yellow GT250)
Then I walked up to the lights, and asked a nice man in a BMW where the closest petrol station was. He said it was about 1.5k from there, back towards Browns Bay. Any back on the other side of the motorway? I ask. No, no don't think so. Okay, thanks!

1.5k in boots ain't fun.

Thanks to those losers that didn't stop. Me holding my thumb out, means I want a lift.

Thanks to the shop attendant who made me leave my cellphone as a security for a freakin' jerry can. Good thing I had it with me, or he would've stiffed me.

Thankyou to the nice couple who took me back to my bike from the petrol station, hope you win on your Lotto ticket. (No sarcasm, thanks heaps you're nice people)

Thanks again to the BMW driver. There was 2 petrol stations 400m from where my bike was. In the direction where you said there was none. Thanks, thanks a lot.

And thank you to the people who 'fixed' my bike, I now know that it's leaking fuel.

breakaway
7th May 2007, 20:45
Ran out of fuel on the way to uni, about 10m from petrol station. Threw it on reserve, filled up, it was sweet as.

Filterer
7th May 2007, 20:58
Just returned about 20mins ago from running out of fuel just before the Tristram offramp. .......

When I did it on the motorway the guy behind me helped out a lot.

He chucked on his hazard lights and helped me move across lane by lane from the fast lane to the slow lane.

Much kudos to him, not all car drivers are bad - Actually it's just all car drivers that also ride bikes that are good ;0

discotex
15th May 2007, 15:04
Much kudos to him, not all car drivers are bad - Actually it's just all car drivers that also ride bikes that are good ;0

Yeah I always suspect the cars that move over on the motorway are either bikers or friends of bikers.

I ran out of gas on the southern motorway last week going for a lunchtime ride with a mate. Ran the battery flat trying to get it started on reserve.

Left the bike to go get jumper leads to jump start it and fortunately left the reserve switch on PRI. Started first go when I came back.

I think I'd run the float bowls in the carb completely empty and just needed to leave it on PRI for a while before trying to restart on RES.

Anyone else had trouble starting a ZXR after running it dry?

..Matt

crashe
15th May 2007, 15:36
I have run out of gas on the Te Atatu OFF Ramp.... approx 1 km away from the gas station. I had the bike fully laden up plus it was a hot sunny day...
I took the helmet and jacket off and then strapped them to the bike..... and started to push. Push for 10 metres and stop to get my breath back... doing that over and over.

Some guy in a ute pulled up on the other side of the road and came running back with a plastic can. He didnt have a lot in the can but enough to get me going...
well it took a bit... but once we got the rev's up and said forget abouit putting the helmet on, just go.... as he only had a few drops in the can.

I roared up the road, up the medium strip and lucky there was a small gap in the traffic to shoot into the garage.

Cheers to that dude (he said he also rides bikes)

vifferman
15th May 2007, 17:37
Huh.
I've run outta gas LOTS of times, always vowing I'd never do it again.

My first bike (CB175) used to 85 miles on a tank, and three times I coasted into the gas station as it was spluttering to a stop.

Ran the VFR750 out several times, luckily never far from a station. But once I had no money (discovered AFTER I'd filled up) - luckily it was 50m from work. And the fuel pump was stupid - it ran only when the engine was running (WTF?!?) so it didn't prime the carbs.

The worst was the FahrtSturm - what a thirsty beast that was! Did only about 150km per tank, ranging from 28 to a best of 35mpg).
One week, over two days I had numerous opportunities to gas up after the Red LED of Doom came on, but kept putting it off. When it started to splutter, I did a quick u-turn, but it used up ALL the gas in less than 100m. It was only about 230kg, I guess, with gear on, but I was nearly pharkt by the time I got to the station, even though I had only one short uphill push at the end of my ~200m walk.
It was COMPLETELY empty - it took 600ml more to fill the tank to the top than the supposed tank capacity!

Haven't yet run the VifFerraRi out (hope I haven't jinxed myself in saying that, as the last bar on the gauge is doing its blinky thing...)

mnkyboy
15th May 2007, 17:56
Have run out on the newmarket viaduct...fortunatly a towie was behind me and stopped and gave me a couple of litres to get me into town. tried to charge me 10 bucks for what was left in his can. I didnt have any cash so tough luck :).

I dont have a gauge/light...I have to figure out how I have been driving vs how many K's. Which for me is usually 190 to reserve 215 to empty...damn heavy cruiser.

martypants
16th May 2007, 12:53
Havent run out.....yet...almost always have to switch to reserve, but always reseting odometer when filling up, so keep an eye on that after switching over and when it hits round the 250 kms mark, start sweating if out in the wop wops! Fuel gauge just something to fill in gap.

vamr
18th May 2007, 10:46
Just returned about 20mins ago from running out of fuel just before the Tristram offramp. Pushed it about 300m off the mway, thanks to the loser WRX who ripped past me at 80k's, the other losers, and the one bike I saw. You didn't stop. (It's all right I'll forgive you one day, yellow GT250)
Then I walked up to the lights, and asked a nice man in a BMW where the closest petrol station was. He said it was about 1.5k from there, back towards Browns Bay. Any back on the other side of the motorway? I ask. No, no don't think so. Okay, thanks!

1.5k in boots ain't fun.

Thanks to those losers that didn't stop. Me holding my thumb out, means I want a lift.

Thanks to the shop attendant who made me leave my cellphone as a security for a freakin' jerry can. Good thing I had it with me, or he would've stiffed me.

Thankyou to the nice couple who took me back to my bike from the petrol station, hope you win on your Lotto ticket. (No sarcasm, thanks heaps you're nice people)

Thanks again to the BMW driver. There was 2 petrol stations 400m from where my bike was. In the direction where you said there was none. Thanks, thanks a lot.

And thank you to the people who 'fixed' my bike, I now know that it's leaking fuel.

Don't forget to thank yourself for not knowing your bike's range.

kwaka750
26th May 2007, 02:39
I had my bike for about 4 days, was coming over the harbour bridge, it started dying, so I switched it to reserve and it died completely, had to push it from the bottom of the harbour bridge all the way to the fanshawe st exit, coudlnt get it going, so picked it up on a trailer and took it home, decided to pull the tank off and have a look, and some moron before me had decided to to switch the fuel hoses around on the tap, the outlet pipe was on the reserve outlet, the reserve pipe was on the off outlet and the main one was in the right place. Needless to say have gone over my bik thoroughly after that lol.