PDA

View Full Version : Biker down (Paekakariki Hill, 5 May)

Spittie
5th May 2007, 12:20
Just heard on the radio of a serious bike verse car accident on the piecock hill.
Does anyone have anymore info???

Nasty
5th May 2007, 12:30
No details I will keep an ear open ... Not the Grub or Nasty though ... fingers crossed for the rider.

kneescraper
5th May 2007, 12:42
Oh no! My thoughts go out to all involved, peace to all :)

alexthekidd
5th May 2007, 13:05
No details I will keep an ear open ... Not the Grub or Nasty though ... fingers crossed for the rider.

Thats sorry to hear, very sad and close to home

500 Posts Nasty, congrats

Ronin
5th May 2007, 13:08
Not good to hear.

Hoping for the best.

Lissa
5th May 2007, 13:09
Just heard on the radio of a serious bike verse car accident on the piecock hill.

Oh no ..... :(

sels1
5th May 2007, 17:23
Twasnt me. Havnt heard anything new at this stage. Hope they are ok.

quallman1234
5th May 2007, 17:47
Im still here.
Two crashes today tis not good :(.

riffer
5th May 2007, 18:19
Sparky Bills? That's your patch...

you okay Martin?

James Deuce
5th May 2007, 18:32
Stop speculating please people.

Grahameeboy
5th May 2007, 18:35
Stop speculating please people.

It's human nature Jimbo.....just concerned.

James Deuce
5th May 2007, 18:36
There's no details and it is hearsay at this point.

Grahameeboy
5th May 2007, 18:42
There's no details and it is hearsay at this point.

You need a haircut..................:innocent:

lewis_walker
5th May 2007, 18:53

I was first on the scene. His name was Glen, from Palmerston North, riding a Bandit 1200. He was with 3 other guys but was the last one and the others took 10-15 minutes to realise he wasn't with them and come back.

He lost it on a left-hander and hit a car head-on. My wife is a nurse and looked after him till the paramedics arrived. He totalled the car, head hit the windscreen and bounced over the car. Initially unconscious, he regained consciousness just before we arrived.

Although conscious he could remember nothing of the day, seemed confused about what bike he owned, had no idea of the date and couldn't really tell us his address.

When the paramedics took his helmet off there was evidence of severe head injury. Quite possible multiple skull fracture.

We can only hope.

Madness
5th May 2007, 19:00
Best wishes for Glen.

Thanks for posting this Lewis and ending what may have been just a tad of speculation.

Chisanga
5th May 2007, 19:05
Positive thoughts go out to Glen. Hope it's not as bad as it sounds. Fight mate fight.

lewis_walker
5th May 2007, 19:12
You know it's certainly made me thing. The paekak hill road bends are a hoot but there are so many of them that you can't see very far around. Familiarity is a dangerous thing. I can do those bends FAR faster than is safe - because unless you can stop in the distance you can see to be clear - you're stuffed if someone comes around the bend in the wrong side of the road.

Just to be clear - that's not what happened here - the car driver was not at fault.

But I see it all the time. What stupidity is it in us that causes us to willingly enter a situation that puts our life at the toss of a dice? Cause that's what it amounts to if you go around a bend so fast that you couldn't stop in time if there was a stationary cage round it....

MattRSK
5th May 2007, 19:12
I was first on the scene. His name was Glen, from Palmerston North, riding a Bandit 1200. He was with 3 other guys but was the last one and the others took 10-15 minutes to realise he wasn't with them and come back.

He lost it on a left-hander and hit a car head-on. My wife is a nurse and looked after him till the paramedics arrived. He totalled the car, head hit the windscreen and bounced over the car. Initially unconscious, he regained consciousness just before we arrived.

Although conscious he could remember nothing of the day, seemed confused about what bike he owned, had no idea of the date and couldn't really tell us his address.

When the paramedics took his helmet off there was evidence of severe head injury. Quite possible multiple skull fracture.

We can only hope.

Fuck thats my Dad.

lewis_walker
5th May 2007, 19:16
Fuck thats my Dad.

Dude - you serious? If so how is he?

MattRSK
5th May 2007, 19:18
He is in hospital. Think he is ok just trying to find out.

u4ea
5th May 2007, 19:23
sorry to read about your dad here matt...well wishes to him and I hope you and ya family are gunna cope ok through this time..scary stuff aye

NotaGoth
5th May 2007, 19:25
*HuggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggZ* Matt.. Let me know how things are soon as you know hon....

People should refrain from posting full info.. Not being harsh but in this situation the son (Matt) did not yet know... I can only imagine how he must be feeling right now...

candor
5th May 2007, 19:26
If it's not your local hospital and you're headed to Hutt or Town please get a friend to drive you there. The shock can make you too spacey to drive or ride any distance quite the best. Best wishes to your Dad.

Newbies prolly don't realise the "rulz" here re not posting till its published, lest family aren't yet informed.

MattRSK
5th May 2007, 19:29

Hey, thanks for looking after my Dad. I just heard that he has no broken bones and will be home tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for their kind offers.

Matt

surfchick
5th May 2007, 19:32
thoughts with you glen and matt and famiy - here's hoping for awesome med care for glen and good hands from the doctors

Chisanga
5th May 2007, 19:34
Hey, thanks for looking after my Dad. I just heard that he has no broken bones and will be home tomorrow.

Matt

Fantastic news! Look after the old bugger :)

Lissa
5th May 2007, 19:35

Matt

Thats good to hear Matt. Best wishes. :yes:

lewis_walker
5th May 2007, 19:36

Matt

I'm so glad Matt and I'm sorry if finding out from a stranger through Kiwibiker wasn't right.

nudemetalz
5th May 2007, 19:36
Good news that he wasn't seriously injured.

u4ea
5th May 2007, 19:38
whew~ was a tad weeeee worried.....sounds like he will recover well

big releif for you matt:sunny:

Vagabond
5th May 2007, 20:32
Sure hope he has a quick and full recovery!

quickbuck
5th May 2007, 20:41
What stupidity is it in us that causes us to willingly enter a situation that puts our life at the toss of a dice?

It is called danger, and if it wasn't dangerous or at least a little exciting none of us would do it.

Good on you lewis for picking Glen up.

Matt, must have been a shock to read about your dads accident on here.
I'm glad he is going to be okay.

One thing though, watch his head (or get him to) for a few days/ weeks. The concussion thing can be nasty!
Hope he is 100% soon.

beyond
5th May 2007, 21:29
Real pleased it sounds like he will be ok.

Look after him and keep an eye on him.

There's a lot of this about lately :(

lewis_walker
5th May 2007, 21:59
It is called danger, and if it wasn't dangerous or at least a little exciting none of us would do it.

Well for me - I like the sensation of speed and acceleration and I enjoy taking a bend smoothly and at pace, scraping pegs a little and lining up right for the next bend.

I don't need the extra buzz of possibly dying by crashing into a car around a blind bend to add to the enjoyment. Your life is worth more than a quick thrill and to be honest if you need the risk of death to get excited then there's some serious psychological readjustment needed.

PS. Please understand what I've said bears no connection to the incident that spawned this thread - it just caused me to reflect on my own riding.

klingon
5th May 2007, 22:33

Matt

Oh my goodness, that's such good news! I was holding my breath between reading Lewis's first post and your one, Matt. Thanks for taking the time to let us know he's ok, at a time that must be pretty stressful for you.

Sooooo glad to hear he's going to be ok. Look after him and give him some big KB hugs from all of us!

one-speed
5th May 2007, 22:39
sad to here

ruphus
5th May 2007, 22:51
All the best to Matt and Glen. Hope you make a speedy and full recovery.

chanceyy
5th May 2007, 22:54
Matt glad your dad is going to be ok .. not a good way to find out for sure .. but then no way is a good way ..

& make sure you take care of yourself buddy .. btw long time no see ;)

dogsnbikes
5th May 2007, 22:58
thoughts to you all no way is a good way but it happens:shit: just glad he is ok and will be home

Steam
5th May 2007, 23:46
Glad to hear he's okay!
This is exactly why I don't like people posting crash reports, because I fear one day I'll be reading about my brother, and find out that way. Or he'll fear for me. I HATE that worry, not knowing who it is.

riffer
6th May 2007, 06:57
Glad to hear your dad's okay-ish Matt.

My apologies if anything I said upset anyone. :mellow:

Grahameeboy
6th May 2007, 07:06
*HuggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggZ* Matt.. Let me know how things are soon as you know hon....

People should refrain from posting full info.. Not being harsh but in this situation the son (Matt) did not yet know... I can only imagine how he must be feeling right now...

Am in 2 minds when it comes to injury............surely it is best that Matt knew about his Dad asap.....only Matt can really answer that I guess.

Grahameeboy
6th May 2007, 07:08
I'm so glad Matt and I'm sorry if finding out from a stranger through Kiwibiker wasn't right.

Kiwibikers are all friends.

Important thing is Matt was told about his Dad be it via site or the Police Officer who is also a stranger.

Drum
6th May 2007, 07:17
Glad to hear a good outcome for a change.

Someones looking after your Dad Matt.

hedgier1
6th May 2007, 09:03
Speedy recovery to matts dad. Glad he's Ok.

Trudes
6th May 2007, 09:15
Hi Matt, glad to hear Glen's going to be ok, take good care of him wont you, I'd say he's very lucky!:yes:

Patrick
6th May 2007, 09:23

You did damn good... lucky your nurse wife was on hand to do her thing. I'd rather find out from someone I didn't know who stopped to help out, than getting the knock at the door...

Hitcher
6th May 2007, 14:14
Folks

While there is a moderately positive outcome to this particular post, our site policy is not to name downed bikers until we know that the next of kin have been informed. MattRSK deserved better than to read about his dad's accident in a public forum. Fortunately the outcome was not worse for his dad. I know that this can be hard at times when some members have insider or first-hand knowledge. But we must endeavour to respect the interests of families and loved ones of downed bikers in the first instance, rather than the vicarious interests of Kiwi Biker members.

MattRSK
6th May 2007, 18:19
It's ok I'm tough.

NZsarge
6th May 2007, 20:14
Hi Matt, glad to hear Glen's going to be ok, take good care of him wont you, I'd say he's very lucky!:yes:

Yes...He's a lucky guy. Got a txt from a mate, he is home now.

Grub
6th May 2007, 20:34
It's ok I'm tough.

Sounds like yer dad is too Matt. I ride that road every day and know it well. Do you think he'd mind posting in this thread later and tell us how/why/what happened?

I figure that from evey off there's a lesson ... I'd love not to have to do it myself to learn this one. You think he'd mind?

Trudes
7th May 2007, 07:16
Yes...He's a lucky guy. Got a txt from a mate, he is home now.

That is great news!!:sunny:

BNZ
7th May 2007, 09:22
It's ok I'm tough.

Must run in the family mate. Your dad just headbutted a car into submission! :rockon:

NZsarge
7th May 2007, 10:19
Sounds like yer dad is too Matt. I ride that road every day and know it well. Do you think he'd mind posting in this thread later and tell us how/why/what happened?

I figure that from evey off there's a lesson ... I'd love not to have to do it myself to learn this one. You think he'd mind?

I'm not sure about as of now but Glen could'nt recall what happened from a few minutes earlier up until the accident when i last saw him.

mikey
9th May 2007, 23:12
kiwibiers are a pack of homos!

Banditman
10th May 2007, 09:21
This is Glenn

Thanks for your assistance on Saturday. I still have no idea what happened. Still have concussion, double vision. No bones broken. Looked after really well in Wgtn hospital. Back home now

Once again many thanks to you both . Glenn

sels1
10th May 2007, 09:47
Welcome aboard the site Glen, hope the head heals up ok.

lewis_walker
10th May 2007, 10:39
This is Glenn

Thanks for your assistance on Saturday. I still have no idea what happened. Still have concussion, double vision. No bones broken. Looked after really well in Wgtn hospital. Back home now

Once again many thanks to you both . Glenn

Brilliant to hear from you Glen. To say I was worried when I drove round the bend, saw the mangled car and you lying next to it WAS AN UNDERSTATEMENT!

No broken bones :gob: You must be a tough nut!

Hitcher
10th May 2007, 12:55
Good skills, Glenn. It's good to hear stories that turn out OK(ish) in the end.

samakld
19th May 2007, 14:50
Fuck thats my Dad.

heck. that’s my dad too.

hey matt and dad.

was just outside St Luke’s mall and another biker sharing the car park I was in knew all about dads crash after reading about it on here. had to come take a look for myself.

went home last weekend to see him. the concussions definitely knocked him around a bit but he seemed fine. very relived.