PDA

View Full Version : X-ring chains - how fricking retarded

cheese
5th May 2007, 16:58
I got one cause I was told that they are better than a oring and only $30 more, so I got one and teh link it came with needs a special tool to form it on and it costs $70!!!

Just having a moan.

Meh

merv
5th May 2007, 17:01
Same applies to a decent o-ring chain coz you are talking about the rivetted link they have so no need to moan at all really coz they both should be done like this. Buy the tool once and you'll have it forever.

mangell6
5th May 2007, 17:06
So this extra tool can be used on other makes and models of chains, ingenious! :)

merv
5th May 2007, 17:09
So this extra tool can be used on other makes and models of chains, ingenious! :)

Watch out Mike, different brands of chains use different rivetting methods. I stick to DID which has the hollow pin end type that gets swaged over by screwing the rivetter in, no hammering needed. Others use the type that kind of taper rivet the pin ends when you hammer the tool.

cheese
5th May 2007, 20:19
Well that fucked me off. i just had to put the old chain and sprockets on.

So gay!

I'll order a normal clip on monday

merv
5th May 2007, 20:24
So you are going to run a 50+ hp bike with an ordinary clip link then? I presume this was for the 04 CR250.

terbang
5th May 2007, 20:33
I run 100 HP+ through a chain with a clip, have done for years, no probs.

NordieBoy
5th May 2007, 21:21
I use clips on all my bikes (have to check the DR though).

jimmy 2006
5th May 2007, 21:45
terbang,

what is that thing on the bottom of your posts talking about ISP addresses??

T.W.R
5th May 2007, 22:06
Xring chain is a bit over the top for an off-roader :yes:
A well maintained non O-ring standard chain will last pretty close to the duration of a O-ring or X-ring chain in off-road conditions.
Nothing wrong with using clip joiner links, when they're fitted properly they are as durable as a rivet type joiner. Plus they ease maintenance of the chain also (washing it properly etc).

merv
5th May 2007, 22:20
A well maintained non O-ring standard chain will last pretty close to the duration of a O-ring or X-ring chain in off-road conditions.

That I wouldn't agree with - standard chains just don't cut it in the dirt no matter how well you keep them clean and lubed.

quallman1234
5th May 2007, 22:46
How much was the chain?
I just bought a chain as a spare for when mine wears out completely

Is 110$ (I think he gave me it for 100 tho) expensive for a O-Ring chain?

T.W.R
6th May 2007, 00:50
That I wouldn't agree with - standard chains just don't cut it in the dirt no matter how well you keep them clean and lubed.

Non O-ring chains can be cleaned more efficiently than a O-ring :yes: once any contaminants get caught with the actual O-rings there's no way to remove them and will end up having the O-ring act as a retainer for grinding paste. O-rings in a chain expand & contract just as efficiently as a normal O-ring and being in a confined area absorb material more easily than they release material.
That's why a lot of O-ring chains grow multiple tight-spots compared to a non O-ring chain that just slops out over time

RiderInBlack
6th May 2007, 07:12
Hate clip joint chains. Lost way too many clips off my little GSXR250 until I replaced the clip with wire. Now all my bikes are rivet joined chains.
On the road bikes, I have found that the O-ring chains last so much better than non-O-ring types. The Litttle GSXR250 was going though the non-O-ring chains in 3-6months:gob: So far I have had very good runs out of good quaility standard O-ring chains as long as I clean them and lube them regularly (about 30,000 - 40,000km per chain on "Roxanne" the CBR1000FL). By the time I need to replace them it is about time to do the sprockets as well.

Danger
6th May 2007, 10:02
Cheese, if the only tool you need is to peen the rivet over you can improvise. Lay the bike over and put something substantial underneath such as a sledge hammer or even get some one to hold a smaller hammer against the back of it. Then with another hammer and a small chisel you can peen the rivet at 12-6 oclock and then at 3-9 oclock so that you have a X type effect on the rivet. You can even hit the rivet with a small ball peen hammer to get a little more squish. That should be enough to do the job.

mc4aregreat
6th May 2007, 19:46
i tried a small g clamp to put a o -ring link together and found it such a pain trying to hold everything and turn the clamp, so tried a vice grip and the plate went on a piece of cake.A sledge hammer on the back and a normal hammer on the front was adequate to give the pins enough bur to lock the plate on.Pay's to mark the link so it can be found later to check.
If like me you'r wonder what the two clips are for that come with the chain, i eventually relized they are packers that go around the o-rings so when pressing the plate on, they prevent the o-rings from being squeezed.

cheese
7th May 2007, 09:01
Tried the two hammer method and jesus what a mission. The top part of teh link woupld not fit over then the pin pushed through and I could not hammer it back in.

So took new sprockets off, put the old ones back on and ordering a old style clip today.

I think It would be easier with a proper tool.....

scott411
7th May 2007, 09:26
go back to the shop and ask them to get you a clip link, they are available

Danger
7th May 2007, 09:28
Cheese I have the tool to join the chain if you want to bring your bike over sometime. I thought you just needed the tool for the rivet.

Reckless
7th May 2007, 09:36
Cheese
I've always used clips as well. Long time Karting, with our chains doing some very very big RPM compared to a bike, cause we use small sprockets. Never had one fail. Just fitted a new DID O-Ring to my CR and used a Joiner link. But I can't for the life of me remember if the joiner came with the chain our I had it in my kit.

The only thing we still do from the karting years is tie wire the clip side of the link.

Also if your gonna shag about with gearing use the joiner as you might need to shorten the chain.

cheese
7th May 2007, 09:51
I'm not going to change the gearing, it's just that I coldn't get the new link to fit.

Thanks DAnger. I thing I'll just get an old style clip.

Danger
7th May 2007, 10:04
The joining style of clips are fine, just replace them 3x during the life of the chain. They are what fail. You might have just as much trouble fitting the plate with the joining link, if so, the offer still stands.

B0000M
7th May 2007, 12:01
The joining style of clips are fine, just replace them 3x during the life of the chain. They are what fail. You might have just as much trouble fitting the plate with the joining link, if so, the offer still stands.

my new chain is due today, and will probably have the new clip, can i take up your offer? :)

scott411
7th May 2007, 12:01
I agree wtih danger on mx bikes, o ring and x ring links wear on the clips, i would carry a spare one,

cheese
7th May 2007, 12:07
bah, can I borrow your tool Greg? Booms bike is at my house.

F5 Dave
7th May 2007, 12:37
Well here’s my take: In the dirt it is a prime place to have all sorts of crap, rocks, twigs & whatnot trying to knock that clip off as you pull your bike backwards out of the undergrowth. In the old days one carried a spare, but these days the outer plate has to be pressed on, so it is hard to do out in the bush. For the sake of doing a rivet it is small hassle for the insurance.

As stated above there is no taking the chain off to clean it without pressing the plate off either this side of a 415 non o-ring.

However don’t try to peen the rivet on with a hammer (I have been guilty of that in the past) but apparently this is just the sort of thing to make them fail.

I bought the tool & never regretted it. Means you get roped into doing a couple for your tightwad mates, tell them to bring beer & stop being moany bitches.

Reckless
7th May 2007, 13:18
[QUOTE=F5 Dave;1044595] knock that clip off as you pull your bike backwards out of the undergrowth. QUOTE]

Thats why the tie wire over the clip is good. The tie wire doesn't seem to wear on the inside when it goes over the sprocket either for some strange reason.

And if ya bite the bullet cheese and buy one we can all borrow it lol So do it! (or buy two joiners and use tie wire as well). Then you can cuss me all you like as your pushing your bike out 1 hour into a 2 hour cross country. lol lol

Actually that last joke gave me a thought, if you use the tool and the chain breaks you might be stuffed geting the broken link out on the trail. But if you use the joiner and it breaks, just use your spare joiner.

F5 Dave
7th May 2007, 13:57
Why would the chain break if you use the tool more than any other link?

With the links pressed on you can't do it on the trail without a press tool so a spare won't help.

. . as your pushing your bike out

Perfect example of incorrect use of a word next to the correct usage.

You are is shortened to you're

Catweazle
7th May 2007, 14:16
Cheese, if the only tool you need is to peen the rivet over you can improvise. Lay the bike over and put something substantial underneath such as a sledge hammer or even get some one to hold a smaller hammer against the back of it. Then with another hammer and a small chisel you can peen the rivet at 12-6 oclock and then at 3-9 oclock so that you have a X type effect on the rivet. You can even hit the rivet with a small ball peen hammer to get a little more squish. That should be enough to do the job.

I fit X-Ring chain links on my road bikes by peening the rivet with a ball hammer. I have been doing it for years and never had a problem. Its better than looking in the rear vision mirror and seeing your chain lying 20 metres back up the road because the clip link failed.

Buddy L
7th May 2007, 14:18
I brought a "D.I.D" chain breaker many years ago. And just found out last month that it can be reversed to squeeze on joining links.
So no need for plyers and vice grips any more (also a now usless pair of ground down plumbers wrench) squeezes the link in far enough to put the clip on with ease:yes:

F5 Dave
7th May 2007, 14:21
yeah it's a good tool, does everything.

Reckless
7th May 2007, 14:32
Why would the chain break if you use the tool more than any other link?

With the links pressed on you can't do it on the trail without a press tool so a spare won't help.

Perfect example of incorrect use of a word next to the correct usage.

You are is shortened to you're

Firstly Dave no one said the tool way is weaker. Quite the opposite they are saying the joiner link is the weaker method.

Secondly "With the links pressed on etc......" as you say. Exactly my point if you use the joiner method. You wouldn't have that problem if the chain broke at the joiner (as they say, it does more often) you would have a spare.

Thirdly "Perfect example of incorrect use of a word next to the correct usage."
Are you an english teacher?? My english is not the best. But better than that. On here, I just type the words as they spill out, not bothering to much about correct english, as I would in a formal or business letter. But if it makes you feel better to point that out in public, feel free to carry on as I dont give a shit.

F5 Dave
7th May 2007, 14:45
Sorry pet niggle with your & you're.

But with a modern 0- (or X) ring chain a split link joiner still needs the link pressed on before you can fit the clip.

. . . & that's 'not bothering too much'

Hey you're right! - I do feel better.:innocent:

cheese
7th May 2007, 15:24
Bah My mate got me with that your you're thing....

I'm just going to use a regular clip. I don't lay down that much power anyway.

p.s. I fucking love my new bike.

Danger
7th May 2007, 16:18
I'd prefer you guys to bring your bikes to my place. Then the job is done and I still have the tools. Looks unprofessional if I need the tools to do a job and don't have them.

Reckless
7th May 2007, 17:20
Danger never lend your tools! Thanks for the chat this arvo (shit am I allowed to use slang dave) nice to talk to you danger.
Now lets see you work your magic on my suspenders. You haven't got time for Kiwi biker!!! lol

merv
7th May 2007, 17:23
As I already said back as the first comment on page 1, buy the tool and you'll have it forever (and a lot of mates it seems).

When I did enduros way back I ran O-ring chains then (hadn't heard of X-ring then) and in case of chain breakage I carried the breaker tool and spare clip links (not rivet links) and a few ordinary bits of chain coz you can bodgie repair them to get you home. I broke one chain before I carried all that shit, as soon as I carried the spares never broke another one of course. These days most of our bikes have rivetted link chains but they last so long I hardly every replace any.

We've talked about chains before here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=42480

The last time I fitted a chain was 3 years ago here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=1758 coz all we've done since then is buy new bikes and no new chains have been needed. The VFR did 10 years on its first chain with my modest km usage.

Danger
7th May 2007, 21:55
Danger never lend your tools! Thanks for the chat this arvo (shit am I allowed to use slang dave) nice to talk to you danger.
Now lets see you work your magic on my suspenders. You haven't got time for Kiwi biker!!! lol

Heck, thought I could sneak on before you got home and saw me logged on, but then I had to post and blow my cover!:dodge: Like to check in when I have a cuppa, and nice to meet you today. I did work in the work shop until 8.00pm, so no worries, I'll get her done.:yes:

Guys, if you want to use my tool your welcome, but if you come around to my place its only one trip, rather than take the tool away, do the job then have to bring it back. In fact I'll even put the chain on for you while your here.
I snapped a DID X ring up in Woodhill on my KTM200. Powering hard up a sandy climb. Lucky no damage was done and the chain just got spat out the back. Many times the chain bunches up and can do serious damage. Thats why I replace the joining links several times during the life of the chain.