PDA

View Full Version : Sunday 5th Sept Wellington Ride - Guidelines Part 2

James Deuce
2nd September 2004, 23:22
Please don't post in this thread folks. Continue to use the original guidelines thread for comments and suggestions.

Rather than draw up complex lists I've organised 6 people (except Deano - he got drafted) to look after the three groups.

1. Quick - White Trash will lead the group, and Deano will ride tail-end charlie.

2. Average - Paul in NZ will lead this group with Mangell6 riding sweep.

3. Sightseer - Lynda Blair will lead and Hamish will bring up the rear.

Merv will take up position with whichever group he wants to, so he can get some good photos of everyone.

I'll follow along last with Cell-phone at the ready, in Cajun's striking fluoro vest.

I want to emphasise that this is a social group ride, so try to ride a little back from your normal pace. There are only two rules:

1. No overtaking members of your own group.

2. If you feel out of your depth, wait for the next group and join them. DO NOT RIDE WITH PEOPLE THAT SCARE YOU.

When riding on main highways and relatively straight roads adopt a staggered formation:

-_-_-_-_

You should be 1 second behind the person immediately in front of you, which will put you 2 seconds behind the person riding on the same side of the lane as you. It sounds more complex written down that it is in practice.

When you hit the twistys go into single file and try to stay a couple of seconds behind the person in front.

We will be meeting at 10:00am at Caltex Rimutaka (sorry Frosty - I'm hoping CSL will pick you up on the way at the Train Station) and the first group will be leaving at 10:30am.

The quick guys will go first followed by, the "averages", and then the sightseers. This is to avoid nasty experiences of people being passed on either side by people travelling much more quickly.

1st Stop will be the Rimutaka Summit.

2nd Stop will be Featherston.

3rd Stop will be the Flying Fish in Masterton for a Coffee.

Then we will head off toward Masterton via Gladstone.

1st stop on this route will be at Wainuioru. Group leaders make sure your group stays together at the first left hander past the bridge out the back of Martinborough, at the Water Tower turnoff, and also at the left hander at the other side of the Water tower hill. Wait for the groups to meet up at Wainuioru and the proceed to the Mobil station in Masterton.

Then those who want to, will go on to Wild Oats in Carterton for a late lunch.

From this point on I would suggest that folks make their own way back to Wellington.

Any questions? Ask me on Sunday. I'll introduce the group leaders on Sunday and you can pick a team to ride with then.

Oh and one last word:

If anyone falls off, I'll be mightly annoyed. I still ring for the Helicopter though.

See you on Sunday then.

James Deuce
3rd September 2004, 06:24
***Punt***

James Deuce
3rd September 2004, 16:44
Punt Again

Paul in NZ
3rd September 2004, 17:05
Stop making a punt of yourself

mangell6
3rd September 2004, 20:10