PDA

View Full Version : Rust protection

degrom
6th May 2007, 10:00
Hi.

What is the best way to prevent work-shop tools from rusting?

I was thinking of making a few covers for my Drill Press,compressor and so on..

Not sure if I need to make the covers from Plastic or material.

I know you can spray a bit of CRC on the tools but that tend to really collect all the dust particals in the air. Especially when you sand down some body putty or do wood work.

All tips on the topic is welcome.

Thx.

Motu
6th May 2007, 17:36
Use them,it's when they sit doing nothing that they rust.

The Pastor
6th May 2007, 17:44
keep them crc'd in a tool draw?

pzkpfw
6th May 2007, 18:11
I've been buying Sistema plastic boxes (my family think I'm a plastic nut). They come in different sizes.

My grinder (and wheels and wheel changing tool) goes in one big box ($9). My drill goes in another, etc.

Then I have smaller boxes ($5), one full of screwdrivers and bits, one full of drill bits and chuck-keys, one full of pencils and measuring tools, ...

Those boxes have an air-seal and snap/clicky closer things. Seems to work well in my damp garage.

If I'm working somewhere I just take the boxes with the tools I need, then they go back in the box (except when I can't be stuffed and it all gets mixed up.)

My drill-press gets a big black garbage bag over it, and a bit of string to loosely tie-up the bottom around the stand.

But don't listen to me. I barely know which end of the hammer you hit the screws with.

degrom
6th May 2007, 18:35
Use them,it's when they sit doing nothing that they rust.

Unfortunately I will only be using the tools at night and over the weekend. If it depended on me I would have parked all my tools in the living room.

But my girlfriend will kill me if I do that!!!

But you are right ,you need to use them before they gather rust.

degrom
6th May 2007, 18:41
I've been buying Sistema plastic boxes (my family think I'm a plastic nut). They come in different sizes.

My grinder (and wheels and wheel changing tool) goes in one big box ($9). My drill goes in another, etc.

Then I have smaller boxes ($5), one full of screwdrivers and bits, one full of drill bits and chuck-keys, one full of pencils and measuring tools, ...

Those boxes have an air-seal and snap/clicky closer things. Seems to work well in my damp garage.

If I'm working somewhere I just take the boxes with the tools I need, then they go back in the box (except when I can't be stuffed and it all gets mixed up.)

My drill-press gets a big black garbage bag over it, and a bit of string to loosely tie-up the bottom around the stand.

But don't listen to me. I barely know which end of the hammer you hit the screws with.

Really great tips!!! I will have to go raid Wherehouse for all their Sistema lunch boxes!!!

Garbage bag... Now that's a brilliant invention!!! (For use with any crap!!! LOL)

doc
6th May 2007, 18:42
Hi.

What is the best way to prevent work-shop tools from rusting?

I was thinking of making a few covers for my Drill Press,compressor and so on..

Not sure if I need to make the covers from Plastic or material.

I know you can spray a bit of CRC on the tools but that tend to really collect all the dust particals in the air. Especially when you sand down some body putty or do wood work.

All tips on the topic is welcome.

Thx.If your not using them a heated cupboard helps couple of lightbulbs is enough.