PDA

View Full Version : Adventures on the way home from Trackday 5

Keystone19
7th May 2007, 08:58
We had a bit of an adventure getting home from Frosty's trackday last night! And I know a couple of other people did too but I'll let them share their stories if they want...(not mentioning any names of course Jay, Boomer...)

TwoSmoker, HDTBoy and I decided to travel home in convey last night 'cause it was about 7pm by the time we left Taupo after dinner. Driving through Tokoroa, TwoSmoker and I realised we'd lost HDT so we pulled over. TwoSmoker turned back to find him and about 5km back he'd blown out his trailer tyre. Having used the spare on the way down he was stuck.

So plan A was enacted: Ring as many people as possible who might be on the road and able to help...zero.

Plan B: take Twosmokers bike off trailer and put on my trailer, take HDTs bike off trailer and refit road gear, so who's going to ride and who's going to drive? Refit original wheel to trailer and HDT makes the call that it's driveable. So road gear back on HDTs bike, Chris rides bike, HDT drives car with empty, dodgy trailer, Chloe drives rental car (oh, and Chloe can't see much at night and is not insured to drive rental), I drive camper with 3 bikes on trailer. Goal: Kicking Zebra's place near Gordonton.

Departure time from Tokoroa: 1030pm

Arrival time Gordonton: late

Departure time from Gordonton: very late

Home time: 2.30 this morning.

And thanks for the fun and games up the motorway Gav - kept me awake anyway...LMAO...must have been funny watching a camper and a Nissan both pulling trailers racing up the Southern motorway...

ManDownUnder
7th May 2007, 09:07
LOL... so errr... welcome home?

Yeah travel's always fun, where you go is only 1/2 of it I find - it's the adventures along the way. Glad no big fines or loss of licence was involved... well - from the stories available thus far...

HDTboy
7th May 2007, 10:13
Shit, it made for a good story, huh? You should've been in Chris's and my conversation as we were working on the vehicles on the side of the road. I can't remember much, but I remember it was funny.

Thanks so much for all your help guys, it was lucky we were in convoy, or I'd still be walking home from Tokoroa. Hot chocolates on the side of the road were nice too, bet Jay didn't get that. Or did he?

The fun and games on the motorway were good to keep me awake too, it must've been a worry for Chris following me throwgh cheese-cutter valley. loooong blinks followed by twitching away from the nearest fence.

I tried for a top speed run after the takanini offramp, but had to back off at 130ish when I felt the trailer shaking badly, and remembered the left wheel wasn't straight, and tyre was fucked

MSTRS
7th May 2007, 10:31
Worrisome lot, aren't ya??
NO stories of mayhem from this quarter.

Matt Bleck
7th May 2007, 12:03
I have one thing to say....

TIMMAY!!!!!!

boomer
7th May 2007, 12:28
I have one thing to say....

TIMMAY!!!!!!

Your dinners ready..... Timmmmmmaaaaaaaaay!

boomer
7th May 2007, 12:31
epic trip, glad u got home alright, Chris, Chloe, Gav & Jill.

i felt like Dovers mother.. constantly wanting to know where he was whilst we ran around after him.

nice work Glen, Dover & Logan, i enjoyed the company and laughs and the track day wasn't bad either;

Disco Dan
7th May 2007, 12:40
Kittyhawk, Morcs and I rode past you on the side of the road... we slowed down but you waved us through that you were ok...

HDTboy
7th May 2007, 12:54
Wasn't us. It was dark before we left Taupo

Disco Dan
7th May 2007, 13:02
Wasn't us. It was dark before we left Taupo

Yeah it was dark, we left after dark too. Campa, trailer and another car behind the trailer? Looked like the same angled bike setup I saw in the pits?

Leong
7th May 2007, 13:23
You guys wouldn't be much good at work this morning then...... Glad you all got home safe, eventually.

Shows the benefits of travelling in convoy!! I felt a bit stink on the way home as Ninjaboy had to be home early, and Duckaddict wasn't comfortable overtaking at the rate we were, so I had to choose who to travel with, and one of us had to travel home alone. We all got home without incident.

Thanks for spending the session giving me the learn on Friday HDTboy. Had a big slide coming out of that A1 corner on Sunday... biggest yet but managed to power out of it. Pushed on and tried not to let it effect my confidence!

And thanks TwoSmoker for the same on on Sunday. You guys are so much quicker that if you didn't slow down to let us catch up, we wouldn't be able to follow you for more than just a few corners!!

Keystone19
7th May 2007, 14:34
Yeah it was dark, we left after dark too. Campa, trailer and another car behind the trailer? Looked like the same angled bike setup I saw in the pits?

Yeah, that was us and yeah, we were good at that point - we hadn't found Gav at that stage so didn't know we had a problem!

HDTboy
7th May 2007, 15:11
You guys wouldn't be much good at work this morning then...... Glad you all got home safe, eventually.

Shows the benefits of travelling in convoy!! I felt a bit stink on the way home as Ninjaboy had to be home early, and Duckaddict wasn't comfortable overtaking at the rate we were, so I had to choose who to travel with, and one of us had to travel home alone. We all got home without incident.

Thanks for spending the session giving me the learn on Friday HDTboy. Had a big slide coming out of that A1 corner on Sunday... biggest yet but managed to power out of it. Pushed on and tried not to let it effect my confidence!

And thanks TwoSmoker for the same on on Sunday. You guys are so much quicker that if you didn't slow down to let us catch up, we wouldn't be able to follow you for more than just a few corners!!

Lots of coffee this morning.
I wouldn't say I gave you the learn, you're not slow Leong. I may as well have been helping you out, as there wasn't really anyone there for me to play with.

Jay's keeping a low profile

JayRacer37
7th May 2007, 21:19
Mines not quiet as epic as the others.

Got to Turangi and pulled up to the smell of gearbox oil burning on the exaust. Pay for gas and come back to drops of oil under the poor MR2. "ohh shit..." me thinks.
Get pulled up for not dipping headlights in the midst of desert road and fined for it...kinda hard to reach the dip switch when both hands were focused on doing some 'energetic' driving...cop didn't mention this.

As i'm waiting for my ticket, i glance in the mirrors. The oil dropping onto the exaust is now burning off in a haze of smoke. cop asks if its on fire. "nah mate, been apart and just come back together, its just burning off". cop sagely nods head....

Now i'm really shitting pants as i'm still 3 hours from home and it's 9PM.

Drove in top from then on, minimise shifts methinks.

Had an hour long sleep in sanson, and ten mins more on otaki. drive from Paraparaumu to paekakariki with head out of window. fall asleep at 2, get up for work 4 hours later....

it was a long day.

Two Smoker
7th May 2007, 22:27
Shit, it made for a good story, huh? You should've been in Chris's and my conversation as we were working on the vehicles on the side of the road. I can't remember much, but I remember it was funny.

Thanks so much for all your help guys, it was lucky we were in convoy, or I'd still be walking home from Tokoroa. Hot chocolates on the side of the road were nice too, bet Jay didn't get that. Or did he?

The fun and games on the motorway were good to keep me awake too, it must've been a worry for Chris following me throwgh cheese-cutter valley. loooong blinks followed by twitching away from the nearest fence.

I tried for a top speed run after the takanini offramp, but had to back off at 130ish when I felt the trailer shaking badly, and remembered the left wheel wasn't straight, and tyre was fucked

hehehe yep there was a few moments... *sudden swerve* Gav must have nodded off a bit...

I think the convo was mostly about how gay you are, how awesome i am, lots of quotes from Borat and your dextrious (sp?) fingers that i really didnt want to know about and never got to ask Jill about....

After i left you guys at Manukau i had to cruise a $1.50 with a bit of change to keep me awake... I had a few swerves as well even after 2 red bulls and a V.

It was farken freezing riding Gavs bike back too.... Most boring ride ever... 80-100kmh on SH1 in the dark freezing my balls off on a semi road legal race bike....

Aaaaaahhhhh all good times.... Cant wait for the next episode....

HDTboy
7th May 2007, 22:52
Dextrous fingers are great assets

MadDuck
8th May 2007, 10:35
Holy crap.... pretty pleased I stayed down Sunday night and had a quiet uneventful ride home

codgyoleracer
8th May 2007, 11:29
What is it about you and gearboxes jay ?