PDA

View Full Version : Rossi Autobiography

Korea
9th May 2007, 12:47
<b>What if I had never tried it?</b>

What if I had never <i>read</i> it?

I know Valentino's autobiography has been out since 2005, but I still haven't had a chance to read it.

I've heard that it's a great read (feel free to rave about it here) so I was wondering whether I could borrow a kind KBer's copy for a short while?

Would anyone be keen to lend me theirs?

Wellington KBers - I could pick it up and drop it off again.
Outside of Welly - um, maybe in the post and I'll reimburse you the postage in the return envelope (or perhaps courier if not too pricey).

PM me or let me know here.

Cheers!

Big Dave
9th May 2007, 12:50
Who wrote it?

onearmedbandit
9th May 2007, 13:31
Nice one Dave. I've got a copy of it, good insiders view but his writing style is, um, unique. Mainly the flow is all over the place, but it is a very good read otherwise. I'm sure a closer KB'er can help but if all else fails let me know.

Korea
15th May 2007, 06:47
Got my hands on a copy~!
Reading it now... will post impressions later...

vifferman
15th May 2007, 08:46
Which 'autobiography' is this? There are several...

Korea
15th May 2007, 09:11
Did he really write that many <i>autobiographies?</i>
OR you mean there are several <i>biographies?</i>

Either way, it's this one...

vifferman
15th May 2007, 09:20
Did he really write that many autobiographies?
OR you mean there are several biographies?

Either way, it's this one...
I do know the difference between the two, but there are autobiographies (like Aaron Slight's one) that are 'ghost written' using comments, details, interview notes etc. from the subject.

I was checking that this was a proper autobiography, as I recently read one put together by Matt Oxley which was basically a picture book with comments, and while very interesting, it didn't reveal a hell of a lot about Rossi himself.

k14
15th May 2007, 09:56
I do know the difference between the two, but there are autobiographies (like Aaron Slight's one) that are 'ghost written' using comments, details, interview notes etc. from the subject.

I was checking that this was a proper autobiography, as I recently read one put together by Matt Oxley which was basically a picture book with comments, and while very interesting, it didn't reveal a hell of a lot about Rossi himself.
I'm pretty sure rossi didn't write it but it gives a very indepth insite into his racing right from the early days through to how he went to yamaha and the first season with them. Quite good imo.

onearmedbandit
15th May 2007, 10:29
It is written like it was him writing it, and it does give great insight into the man from his days as a school kid throught to his battles in MotoGP.

SimJen
15th May 2007, 10:53
Great book, gives a real insight into his differences and split with Honda.
Also good for the behind the scenes info, such as when he goes to the pit garage in the middle of the night to look at the bike and apply stickers.....

BarryG
16th May 2007, 05:18
Sorry, I thought it was crap. Very superficial. Boring, even, and that's really not Valentino, I am sure. Until someone like Mat Oxley writes a proper tell all biography, we're going to get fluff.

But.....what can you expect, the blokes only 25 or something, he really hasn't lived, has he? OK, so he's a character in a bit of the mould of old, but a modernised one, and I just don't think they're as interesting as the Sheenes, Roberts, Hailwoods, Schwantzs of yore - but I'm an old fart, with a jaundiced view of 'progress', so what do I know?

Anyway, all that to say, don't expect literature, just be happy with marketing, and you'll be fine.

Cheers
Barry

SimJen
16th May 2007, 07:59
I'd say don't expect literature from any autobiography, especially one of a motorsport legend......obviously.

pritch
16th May 2007, 08:09
I thought it was written from interviews, which were of course conducted in Italian, and then translated into English.

Some of the latter is a bit loose with technical terms.

Great literature it ain't, but it does provide an insight into why Rossi made the radical move to Yamaha and something of how he sees the world.

Overall it makes him appear more real as a person.

It's worth a read just don't expect too much.

onearmedbandit
16th May 2007, 11:56
Did a google search and everywhere it says : Author; Valentino Rossi.

Example. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/What-If-Had-Never-Tried/dp/1844138801)

And it's definitely written in the first person.

SimJen
16th May 2007, 12:31
From: http://www.realclassic.co.uk/books/books05121400.html

"My first question concerning this book was, 'How did Rossi (who's no academic) find time to write his autobiography without a ghost-writer?' The answer is, 'He didn't'. When you open the book you find that he had a co-writer, ie; a ghost-writer who's come out of the closet.

Co-writer Enrico Borghi is a MotoGP journalist and his input is apparent right through this book. For instance, when the book tells of the MotoGP genius' visit to the Ducati factory in 2003, the text adopts a very un-Rossiesque, nostalgic tone as it describes the sense of history and creativity within the hallowed Bologna walls. Classic journalese!

However, much of the emotion within the book clearly emanates from Mr Rossi himself. One notable passage concerns Rossi's first win for Yamaha at Welkom in 2004, where he parked up the M1 on the run-down lap and sat, head between his knees, apparently weeping. 'No', says Rossi, 'I was laughing … laughing because I'd screwed them all!'

onearmedbandit
16th May 2007, 14:42
Well there you go then.

pritch
16th May 2007, 20:29
On examining my copy I see credits are as follows:
Valentino Rossi with Enrico Borghi translated by Gabriele Marcotti.
Which latter just may go some way to explain the technical translation problems I mentioned earlier...