PDA

View Full Version : How many kms is the Coromandel Loop?

Duc
9th May 2007, 20:35
How many kms is the Coromandel Loop from Auckland Central?

ie . How long does this route take at reasonable speeds and breaks?

Swoop
9th May 2007, 21:20
Depends on how many times you go back-and-forth over some of the best parts...:rockon:

Filterer
9th May 2007, 21:28
If you stop for lunch etc, you want to set aside 6 hours or so.

TS99
9th May 2007, 21:31
Depends on how many times you go back-and-forth over some of the best parts...:rockon:

depends how big your...errr...loop is. Include Karangahape Gorge and the Ngatea straights for about 500k.

gijoe1313
9th May 2007, 21:38
depends how big your...errr...loop is. Include Karangahape Gorge and the Ngatea straights for about 500k.

Now yer talk'n my kind of lingo! I like the cut of your jib sir! I like doing the figure eight of the Coro Loop, yes, indeedy I do! :woohoo:

Clockwise/Anti-clockwise, it's all good!

West coast is boring... too many townships to slow down in...

Generally rock up the east coast, over to coro town, eat, then back down the east coast.

erik
9th May 2007, 21:54
The small loop (ie not through Whangamata etc) is about 200km from Kopu to Kopu. I'm not sure how far it is to Auckland.

beyond
9th May 2007, 22:55
If you like riding fast you can do it in three and a half hours just stopping for gas and scoffing a maggot pack.

If you ride with others, then you have your smoke stops, ale stops, lunch stops, smoke stops and someone always needs petrol at every gas station, so yeah, around six to seven hours. :) Oh, forgot the pee stops.

I also think though the West coast is cool and some good bits South of Coro there are too many towns, too many boats cutting corners etc so I like to go up the East coast and back the same way and then you get to do some of the best bits twice, like Coro to Whitianga, Tairua hill, Kopu-Hikuias :)

Zapf
9th May 2007, 23:46
from Kopu to Kopu is just under 200km, around 189km ... ish from memory.

Gremlin
10th May 2007, 01:29
how long is a piece of string mate? Zapf and erik are about right...

thats for a basic loop, all the way round. You can do different routes around, backwards, turning around, etc. You can also take several ways there first, so really... let us know what you have in mind first.

Chisanga
10th May 2007, 01:33
470 km from Bucklands Beach around Coro and back again :) Didn't double back or do anything like that

What?
10th May 2007, 07:12
Include Karangahape Gorge and ...

Huh? damned jafas!!

Grahameeboy
10th May 2007, 07:29
I like the West coast......just the scenery.......East okay but prefer the last bit, the middle is a bit boring.

Grahameeboy
10th May 2007, 07:30
Huh? damned jafas!!

Yep, I like to bite into the orange bit best......and it is a "Damn" when the packet is empty....

Duc
10th May 2007, 07:53
Thanx guys - the Kopu to Kopu info (200km ish) is most helpful.