PDA

View Full Version : Nolan N102 N-Com – incredible helmet, fantastic price

Thumper
9th May 2007, 21:30
I have been looking at upgrading my FFM flip-up full face for some time now, and when I saw a Nolan N102 in my local bike shop a few weeks back, my mind was made up. Looked good, felt great, could be fitted with N-Com if I felt like chatting to my pillion on long rides and at $599 it was almost affordable.

While googling the N102 to find reviews and do my homework, I came across an internet store imbedded within Ebay (http://stores.ebay.com/iMotorcycle-Store) that listed a range of N102 for US$210 each. I dropped the store an e-mail and asked about the cost of shipping to NZ. The reply that I got the following day was $40. So, US$250 for my choice of N102, hell , that was only NZ$335 at current exchange rates.

Back to Ebay, hit the “Buy Now” button, into PayPal and pay with the Visa card, few minutes later, invoice and receipt arrive in the e-mail, bugger that was quick. Now all this happened on Wednesday evening and as I thought it would possibly take a week or two for delivery I didn’t worry too much about things for the next few days.

The following Tuesday I am in the office and think, “I wonder if I can get a tracking number for the package”. Shoot off an e-mail to the iMotorcycle-Store and within the hour get a reply with the USPS tracking number and a link to the tracking site attached, cool! Off to the tracking site, enter the tracking number and WHAT THE........!!!! According to the site the package was delivered at 11:15am that morning. Pick up the phone and call Mrs Thumper at home, yes, a parcel was delivered this morning.

Got home on Tuesday evening and there was a beautifully boxed XL N102 in stunning Titanium, and yes on checking my credit card statement, I had paid NZ$337.42 six days earlier. That is close to half of what I would have paid at any of the dealers in NZ. To quote Mr D, “The Times They Are A-Changin'”.

The N102 is fantastic, really beautifully built and designed like only the Italians can. The Microlock retention system works a treat and allows the removal of the helmet with one hand with gloves on, the Jet Stream Wing ventilation system is extremely efficient and keeps the air moving without becoming a pain.

The Nolan Fog Resistant system is just bloody amazing; as much as I puff and pant I cannot make the visor mist up. Helmet on and a quick jog up two flights of stairs and the screen was still fog free, roll on winter.

The bonus is the Vision Protection System (VPS). The shading and related anti-dazzle effect of the half height tinted outside visor provides an ideal riding environment. This was tested to the max this morning when travelling south down East Coast road this morning looking directly into the rising sun. One quick flip and the glare was gone. This evening jumped on the Daytona to go home in the dark and flip, VPS gone and clear visor home. With the VPS visor flipped up, wind noise is a little higher but still nowhere as bad as the old FFM.

At $599 the Nolan N102 is a good deal, at under $350 has got to be the bargain of a life time.

http://www.nolan.it/catalogo.jsp?iditem=57&lng=en

gijoe1313
9th May 2007, 21:41
Oh curse you! I am so in lust with this helmet - I saw them before ... but now... you have... made it...more wantable... :pinch: :drool: :eek5:

Oh well, I was planning to get 3 or 4 more helmets...just not 1 so soon! :lol:

And on that note, I bought a Zeus flip-face for $400 - I thought that was good! This just makes me dribble and go weak at the knees!

bmz2
9th May 2007, 21:44
nice helmet,thats right if your order from the states most times it will be here within the week,i order nascar race jackets and i have them in 5 days, US take pride in their postal service and it works. again dude good buy and a nice helmet.

Grub
9th May 2007, 21:53
Looked good, felt great, could be fitted with N-Com if I felt like chatting to my pillion on long rides and at $599 it was almost affordable.

Nasty & I have Nolan N102's with the Basic Comms kit and Bluetooth (those are the controls you see over the left ear in the photo (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60150&d=1178138143)). Here you see it being charged up in my office as we speak :)

With the Basic Comms Kit, you can plug in helmet-helmet comms for a pillion, plus you can set up a cellphone and an iPod together. The iPod will mute when the phone is answered

This helmet is quiet, has anti-lift, has chin wind guard and the amazing pinlock anti-fog visor system as standard.

Nasty and I ride a lot together so we have the Bluetooth kits for bike-bike comms as well as for our phones. The bike to bike comms distance is about 5-6 car lengths which we very seldom exceed when touring and the quality of the ride is increased a thousand fold as we explore new places and see new things. I can't imagine ever doing without it now. The quality is excellent, no wind noise disturbance, no distortion, perfect clarity out to the full range of the bluetooth. The whole package is designed as an integrated setup which is why I think it works so well.

Normal cost is very very reasonable for a lift-up helmet (you have to love the convenience of that!)
- Helmet $599 (KB special price $535) ... Your price = OUTstanding
- Basic Kit $87 ish
- Bluetooth $385 ish

So for you and pillion, just helmet and basic kit for $622 is a mega-value deal. For you to be able to knock anoher $250 off that is incredible! The Baehr unit costs a couple of thousand bucks just for one bike.

yod
9th May 2007, 21:59
I have been looking at upgrading my FFM flip-up full face for some time now, and when I saw a Nolan N102 in my local bike shop a few weeks back, my mind was made up.

bloody hell mate....you've just about sold me already

they are a nice looking helmet - I'm still using my nolan (N37 i think) thats about 15 years old so i know i should have upgraded a while ago and i'd love another

that black graphite is pretty damn nice....hmmm.....

timg
9th May 2007, 22:22
Yup, love mine. Great helmet. Highly recommended! TG

yod
9th May 2007, 22:54
crikey...theres another store on ebay thats selling them for $190US !!!!!

but they dont ship outside US :crybaby:

Zukin
9th May 2007, 23:05
Agree
They are fantastic, we have had ours for over 12 months and they are still good.
I have used my in hot weather (nice and cool with the vents open) and in extreme cold too! No fog

Just dont walk around too long in the rain with the visor up, as the rain gets inside your visor which is a pain with any helmet :yes:

I wish I could connect my Uniden radios though, I see they now have bike to bike comms, using the basic kit and a multimedia wire (they list either a K or W wire), but they dont say whether they will connect to a Uniden, and I cant see any images of these wires online to see if they are the same plug :angry:

NighthawkNZ
10th May 2007, 07:42
Yup its the best helmet I have owned over the years and would be lost with out the sun visor as well :-)

Highly Recommended

NZHog
10th May 2007, 18:58
Great review & thanks for the link, I was in the process of looking for a new flip,will definately go for this deal.

yod
12th May 2007, 01:26
I have been looking at upgrading my FFM flip-up full face for some time now, and when I saw a Nolan N102 in my local bike shop a few weeks back, my mind was made up. Looked good, felt great, could be fitted with N-Com if I felt like chatting to my pillion on long rides and at $599 it was almost affordable.

well...are you happy now?? content?? satisfied with yourself??

hmmph!!

i caved...like the puny human i am....it was there!! it just kept whispering "buy me yod, you know you want to!"....evil bloody helmet...

so i just bought a graphite Nolan N102 off ebay, but you got a better exchange rate than me, cost me a whole $14NZ more than you :laugh:
:rockon:

James Deuce
12th May 2007, 01:30
Can you guys let me know if the visor leaks in the rain? I had an N100E and retired it in the end because I just could NOT get the visor to seal.

Zukin
12th May 2007, 08:18
Can you guys let me know if the visor leaks in the rain? I had an N100E and retired it in the end because I just could NOT get the visor to seal.

The visor seals pretty good, but I have noticed that in torrential rain it will eventually get in the top somewhere and drip down the inside (in the middle of the visor), but it dosent run down the visor, it drips down onto the chin guard (if you can follow that :mellow: )

So to fix that a little I found that by adjusting the sun visor down a notch (and use it like a peak) it seems to fix it :yes:

Cheers Scott

Nasty
12th May 2007, 15:28

I have been riding in some bad weather and not had any leaks with the visor ..:yes:

James Deuce
12th May 2007, 16:04
Hmm. I know it's a small sample, but it sounds like the same old story. 50% of people say it doesn't leak. Everyone I spoke to about my N100 leaking expressed surprise, but it made it impossible to live with in the real weather we have sometimes in Wellington.

NighthawkNZ
12th May 2007, 17:00

I have never had mine leak.... and its been in all sorts of weather

breakaway
15th May 2007, 15:45
In light of this awesome deal, I would like to get one of these.

I was just wondering how you guys get the size sorted out? Do you go to the local shop and try on a 102 and then buy it online?

yod
15th May 2007, 16:23

I was just wondering how you guys get the size sorted out? Do you go to the local shop and try on a 102 and then buy it online?

well i already had a medium Nolan, but yeah, i tried on Shoei Arai KBC HJC Shark and probably a few others (but no-one sells Nolan in Palmy) and i was a medium in all those so i just went for medium

My current Nolan is starting to get a little loose but its so old, the padding is well farked, which is the main reason, was a nice fit when i got it tho.

if you in aucks you can probably try a Nolan on at Motomail??

vifferman
15th May 2007, 16:38
I'd like a new helmet - mine's never been a good fit, was secondhand when I bought it, and is now about 3 years older - but we have strange monetary rules in our household. I've done a faceplant in it once, but that's not enough to justify a new one. I was in trouble for buying it in the first place - and that was after landing on my head wearing the previous one!

On a side note - does anyone else find the cost of keeping oneself in bike gear rather high? I suspect if I didn't commute every day by bike it would last longer. The replacement costs for my current gear would run to nearly $3K!

yod
15th May 2007, 16:46
I'd like a new helmet - mine's never been a good fit, was secondhand when I bought it, and is now about 3 years older - but we have strange monetary rules in our household. I've done a faceplant in it once, but that's not enough to justify a new one. I was in trouble for buying it in the first place - and that was after landing on my head wearing the previous one!

On a side note - does anyone else find the cost of keeping oneself in bike gear rather high? I suspect if I didn't commute every day by bike it would last longer. The replacement costs for my current gear would run to nearly $3K!

yeah its not the cheapest is it...and i dont have leathers (yet)
I just outfitted the wife with cordura, helmet and boots - took my time looking around, got the helmet off ebay ($250NZ instead of $350NZ) and the dririder stuff and boots online too - only hit me for about $600 all up

my gear cost about $650 (again, got a Nolan N102 off ebay for $350 instead of $600 here!), but my jacket and pants are 2nd hand but in tidy condition...(why pay new when "as new" is so much cheaper?)

still haven't got new gloves for either of us yet tho and like i said, no leather in the equation either!

SPman
15th May 2007, 17:25
I have never had mine leak.... and its been in all sorts of weatherI thought all helmets leaked a bit, eventually.
My Bell, HJC, AGV, Arai, Shark, have all leaked!

aroberts
15th May 2007, 20:35
I recently bought an N102 locally before I saw this thread. I paid the full $600but it is a nice helmet. It did pay off though as I got one that was just a little too big. So I was able to take it back and swap it for the next size down. I love the sun visor.

Sanx
23rd May 2007, 16:59

Like most things, you pay for quality. If I tot up the price of all my gear, it gets quite scary: $1500 for leathers, $1000 for full cordura, $800 for helmet, $400 for boots, $200 for winter gloves, $150 for summer gloves, $200 for full UnderArmour cooling body suit, $200 for thermals ... oh, and $5 for the earplugs.

All adds up. However, all that's pretty cheap compared to having to replace acres of lost skin and muscle tissue.

oldrider
23rd May 2007, 17:27
While I agree that the Nolan's are a good helmet, they do fog up but it is usually only under very cold conditions.

Mine fogged up going over the Lindis Pass on Saturday morning but not so bad that I could not see.

Both my wife and I were very cold but it was far from the coldest temperature crossing we have had but boy were we "feeling the cold".

It just seems the first few frosts of the year feel so cold because the day time temps have been sitting in the twenties and then whammy you ride straight into sub zero conditions and you think you are freezing to death.

Cold is relative, I used to think heated grips in Auckland were a joke but temperature differential is what makes the difference, what happens next is that you become acclimatised to the range that you live in.

In the middle of winter we ride through there in temperatures of minus 10 to 15 and feel warm enough while wearing only the same gear as we had on Saturday, so why were we so cold then?

Obviously we are not acclimatised for winter conditions yet!

Summary:

Nolan pinlocks do fog up and cold is relative, you can get bloody cold anywhere at any time! :yes: John.

NordieBoy
23rd May 2007, 18:49
I was tempted by the Nolan but the local shop only had a medium.
My current Zeus flip front is probably the nicest helmet I've had and it was $168 new :D

fishb8nz
23rd May 2007, 19:59
When I returned to biking there was a thread where one contributor, who I thought was a total killjoy pratt, working out the economic difference between a cheap cage and a well protected rider on an average bike. He was dead right, bikes aren't a cheap alternative.
Bikes are fun and my bike is as economical as hell and will out-accelerate a Holden V8, but by the time I work out how much I spend on insurance (2xthe cage), road gear etc, then it can't justify itself on economical grounds.
Can't buy fun like that.
I also spend heaps on fishing tackle, charters, mates boats - all to get some fillets for the freezer. Like buggery! The fish in the freezer is a bonus. Going out there and doing it is the thing, just like riding your bike to nowhere in particular.
Sorry for this rant, just looked back at the original thread and I'm well off topic.

heyjoe
23rd May 2007, 22:35
I have a Nolan with the anti-fog visor. A great invention. Does not fog up no matter how hard u try to. I tend to fog up my glasses before the visor if i have a scarf on. They are a first class helmet. Good quality and precision mechanisms.

YellowDog
26th May 2007, 16:08
Thanks pal. Will do the same!

Cr1MiNaL
9th June 2007, 00:40
Its abt time I changed my old HJC helmet (3 yrs and 6 minor drops old...do drops from ur hands to the floor count?) Im def getin me one of these Nolan N102's but in matt black to match my leathers then im gonna put Sidi decals on it to match da bike ;) cheers dude on a good writeup.
Raj. RJ

yod
9th June 2007, 01:51
Its abt time I changed my old HJC helmet (3 yrs and 6 minor drops old...do drops from ur hands to the floor count?) Im def getin me one of these Nolan N102's but in matt black to match my leathers then im gonna put Sidi decals on it to match da bike ;) cheers dude on a good writeup.
Raj. RJ

got mine a couple weeks ago from the states (off ebay same as thumper)

you CANNOT fog these things up - i can hyperventilate in this thing on a winter morning and it wont fog - its ridiculous! and the sun visor is handy, especially in winter when the sun tends to siut quite low on the horizon

if the matt black you mentioned is the same as mine (see further up) then you're after graphite - its actually more like a really dark charcoal metallic when you see it close up, it has a kind of metallic fleck through it...looks great!

i didnt get it for the flip up front but it has actually turned out to be really handy.
it is a bit heavy tho, be warned (1.8kg with both visors on)...i tried my wife's new KBC on (also off ebay, $255 instead of about $450 here!) and it is waaaaaaaaaaaay lighter

mbazza
9th June 2007, 14:00
I have had a Nolan N100E for about 3 years. Looked at this new model in the local shop and was surprised by the extra weight, some 325 grams and I would feel this over a full days riding. Great helmet and a great price and impressive way of buying one. I'd be interested in how you get on with it in terms of bulking up your neck muscles! Thanks for the post. Cheers.:sunny:

yod
9th June 2007, 14:46
extra weight doesnt really bug me, you just notice it when you try a different helmet!!

i got it a few weeks ago on a friday, and on the sunday a group of us did 760km in a day and i had no neck problems at all...all good

edit: btw, the helmet actually says 1695 grams on the back of it - i've weighed it - 1800 grams but thats with both visors on

Cr1MiNaL
9th June 2007, 17:49
i got it a few weeks ago on a friday, and on the sunday a group of us did 760km in a day and i had no neck problems at all...all good

760 kms :love:

yod
9th June 2007, 17:51
760 kms :love:

...on a 21 year old 400 too.....:rockon:

Cr1MiNaL
9th June 2007, 18:03
Good on ya mate!

yod
9th June 2007, 18:09
Good on ya mate!

....and have a look at my profile pic....you'll shit bricks :rofl:

yes, i was on the viffer and yes, so was the gps.....

there might have been a slight malfunction tho...sshhhhh

gunnyrob
10th June 2007, 17:29
Have found mine a bit noisy, but that could be the bike screen (notorious for it)

Fog free on a real crappy day, others in flash Bahr helmets had all sorts of drama. Flip front easy to operate w/one hand, recommended

scorpious
25th June 2007, 16:14
[QUOTE=gijoe1313;1048676]

And on that note, I bought a Zeus flip-face for $400 - I thought that was good! QUOTE]

well i got just the same for $75 hahaha :second:

pity about my mate comming off while he was wearing it though.

NordieBoy
25th June 2007, 19:25
Had my Zeus flip-face for 3 years now.
$165 back then.
Been modified with foam in the ear cavities and a wind guard under the chin.
Still going great.

Jantar
26th June 2007, 10:27
I've just ordered an N102 from the same site, and still at the same price. US$250 including shipping. Not many colour choices left at that price though I did get my favourite colour - Black.

Dodger
26th June 2007, 10:34
I'll be ordering mine soon.
once pop down to a store and try them for size that is :)

yod
26th June 2007, 10:50
I've just ordered an N102 from the same site, and still at the same price. US$250 including shipping. Not many colour choices left at that price though I did get my favourite colour - Black.

:shit: you didnt go for the bright yellow one? :lol:

nigelp
27th June 2007, 18:10
I ordered mine yesterday, cost me $334 including postage. Tried one on at the local dealer to be sure I got the correct size. Now where can I get the bluetooth kit from?

timg
27th June 2007, 22:00
I ordered mine yesterday, cost me $334 including postage. Tried one on at the local dealer to be sure I got the correct size. Now where can I get the bluetooth kit from?

Nigel, they are available in NZ. Can be ordered thru anybody who stocks/sells Nolan's. Not overly expensive for the mike, speakers & bluetooth. Cheers, Tim.

The wine coloured one would be just about a perfect match for your bike colour. :innocent: :yes: Cheers, Tim.

Jantar
27th June 2007, 22:06
The wine coloured one would be just about a perfect match for your bike colour. :innocent: :yes: Cheers, Tim.

Yes, but I tend to keep helmets longer than bikes, and my next bike is as likely to black as any other colour. :yes:

NordieBoy
27th June 2007, 22:14
Yes, but I tend to keep helmets longer than bikes, and my next bike is as likely to black as any other colour. :yes:

1975 Suzuki RE5

Jantar
27th June 2007, 22:25
Well ummm yeah, there may just be one exception to that. :yes:

NordieBoy
28th June 2007, 07:46
Just get one of the Cromwell helmets :)

Dodger
28th June 2007, 16:15
and ordered :Punk:

rodmcm
29th June 2007, 20:53
Just as a matter of interest are these NZ Standards approved?

Jantar
29th June 2007, 21:15
Yes, all Nolan helmets are approved for use in New Zealand. they are one of the better brands available, and the N102 is one of the most popular.

bane
29th June 2007, 22:17
got mine today - graphite. Very nice, and bloody cheap from the states.
Looks like most of his recent "Nolan feedback" is from NZers - might at last be an american who knows where NZ is!

yod
29th June 2007, 22:19
got mine today - graphite. Very nice, and bloody cheap from the states.
Looks like most of his recent "Nolan feedback" is from NZers - might at last be an american who knows where NZ is!

cool - i got the graphite too....:rockon:

great looking helmet aye:Punk:

nigelp
4th July 2007, 18:30
Just got mine today in the mail, only took 6 days to get here to very quick!

As a matter of interest do people normally ride with the fog insert in all the time or just in potentially foggy conditions (ie winter)?

I got mine in titanium colour just to be different from all the black riding clothes I have!

timg
4th July 2007, 20:09
As a matter of interest do people normally ride with the fog insert in all the time or just in potentially foggy conditions (ie winter)?

Hi Nigel, there are clear and tinted pinlock inserts available. A clear one came with my helmet, I leave it in all the time. Cheers, Tim.

jester67
4th July 2007, 21:47

Yep, felt like a scum bag, but I tried one on in the shop.

...then bought one on ebay...

I've bought other stuff in the shop so I don't feel so bad...

Got it for 330 too with the NZ vs USD at 0.771

Dodger
11th July 2007, 09:19
Got mine yesterday :) took 7 days shipping time. :)
Nice helmet, and the anti fog thingi is great. I can see again :Punk:

Only slight compliant is that the wind noise is higher then my old helm, but that may drop once I install the coms gear (will add padding around ears)

yod
11th July 2007, 09:32
Just got mine today in the mail, only took 6 days to get here to very quick!

I got mine in titanium colour just to be different from all the black riding clothes I have!

just keave it in all the time...it wont matter

yod
11th July 2007, 09:35
Got mine yesterday :) took 7 days shipping time. :)
Nice helmet, and the anti fog thingi is great. I can see again :Punk:

Only slight compliant is that the wind noise is higher then my old helm, but that may drop once I install the coms gear (will add padding around ears)

have you got the basic kit to put in yours? have been thinking about it but the fact that they're quite a noisy helmet has put me off a bit although I haven't actually eyeballed a kit (cos im in palmy and bike shops here have a shite range of goodies)

would be interested to hear how it goes with the kit installed in terms of how well you can hear the the speakers over the wind noise.....

Dodger
11th July 2007, 10:36
Haven't got the kit yet, but will let you knwo how it goes.
A mate of mine has one and has no problems with his. there's also some others around here that have them (and the blue tooth kits) and have not complained.

Mr Merde
11th July 2007, 10:57
Just ordered one.

After my little off the other night my current helmet is definitely no longer safe.

And bugger it I did order the YELLOW one

If it helps me be seen I'm all for it.

Dodger
11th July 2007, 13:34
Good on ya, I was tempted to order the Yellow.. but ended up going for the plain Titanium in the end.

Grub
11th July 2007, 13:40
would be interested to hear how it goes with the kit installed in terms of how well you can hear the the speakers over the wind noise.....

I am VERY sensitive to helmet noise and I don't think my N102 is noisy at all. The audio quality is perfect. Nasty and I have the bluetooth kits which is just a plug-in to the basic kit and we carry on a normal conversation bike-to-bike up to 50 metres (10 car lengths) away. They don't get static or interference of any kind until they reach the distance limit and then they just start breaking up.

The volume control has about 9 settings, it starts on #4 and I never have to change it.

I busted mine too, wanted a yellow one and was told they weren't available in NZ so have just picked up the Wine coloured one {pout}

yod
11th July 2007, 13:44
I am VERY sensitive to helmet noise and I don't think my N102 is noisy at all. The audio quality is perfect. Nasty and I have the bluetooth kits which is just a plug-in to the basic kit and we carry on a normal conversation bike-to-bike up to 50 metres away. They dosn't get static or interference of any kind until they reach the distance limit and then they just start breaking up.

The volume control has about 9 settings, it starts on #4 and I never have to change it.

I busted mine too, wanted a yellow one and was told they weren't available in NZ {pout}

sounds cool, might have to invest in the basic kit then, cheers

Grub
11th July 2007, 13:47
they're quite a noisy helmet has put me off a bit ..

Hmmm ... maybe I should qualify my not-noisy helmet.

Forgive me, I may have misled in saying mines not noisy. It's not any noisier than my HJC and I take steps to minimise noise with all helmets. I haven't been able to ride for 6 weeks so had forgottent that because I hate noise, I always ride with a scarf wrapped around my neck.

The noise from a helmet comes from the vortex created between the lower edge of the helmet and your neck and shoulders. Here's the test. Ride along at 100kmh, put your hand up to your kneck on the side and presto ... all your noise has gone! Wrap a scarf around your neck to stop the vortex forming and you have a very quiet (and way less tiring) ride.

Brett

yod
11th July 2007, 13:57
I busted mine too, wanted a yellow one and was told they weren't available in NZ so have just picked up the Wine coloured one {pout}

you didnt consider ordering via ebay from the US ? $350NZ incl. shipping and they had all the black/grey/silver/titanium/graphite shades as well as yellow (but no patterns for the cheaper price)

well worth it

kaz
11th July 2007, 15:31

If it helps me be seen I'm all for it.

My helmet is white. I tried, but failed, to find a yellow one so I figured white was the next best thing. It wasn't easy - the people in several motorcycles shops that I talked to insisted that helmet colour makes no difference to safety. One guy even tried to tell me I'd be better off getting really loud pipes (the conversation stalled when I asked how that worked with car drivers pumping the stereo, car windows closed because most cars have aircon, and the fact that the sound from your pipes is behind you not in front of you...)

Anyway there's not much internet info or research (I looked) which surprised me. But it seems logical that the highest visible point in traffic (your head) should be a colour that eyes can easily recognise (and my understanding is that dark colours are harder for the eye to recognise/focus on). Obviously a white or yellow helmet can't save you from a lunatic driver, but I imagine it could make a difference in some situations. Besides, us Wellington women wear too much black as it is : )

jester67
13th July 2007, 16:41
got mine, got mine, got mine hahahahaha

9 days ex USA off eBAy

its great

sassie1
13th July 2007, 18:25
I have a Solid Yellow Nolan N-COM thanks to Thumper.It came from www.extremesupply.com California. It took a bit longer than Thumpers but i got a free adapter kit for my Shoei to replace the double d system. I paid $434.70 NZ for it to my door, that was a $164.30 saving.
I figured if i got yellow i would be more visable. You get a bigger choice of colours than in NZ too. Roll on October when i have my full licence, i hope:sunny:

denill
21st July 2007, 14:35
Mmmm, just found this thread and it looks like it's goin to cost me!

Questions:
1 - Excuse my ignorance, but does the basic kit allow rider to pillion talk - or is another kit reqd?

2 - Also, what is the audio like? Other rider to pillion we've tried has been less than satisfactory and has been binned.

3 - As I have a preference for the F/Face has anyone tried the N84, with N-Com??

Thanks.

denill
21st July 2007, 14:43
Sorry guys, one more (dumb) question.

Can I just plug my radar detector into the system - with a compatable jack, of course.

Hailwood
21st July 2007, 15:42
I have looked at these helmets before having always worn a f/f....my questions are these?

Why a flip face over a full face?
Do you ever get hassles about looking like a playmobile person? (not wising to offend but just an observation)
How much heavier are they then a f/f and are they noisier??

Thanks for your advice here..I have read this and this helmet seems to be great....

NordieBoy
21st July 2007, 16:30
Why a flip face over a full face?
Do you ever get hassles about looking like a playmobile person? (not wising to offend but just an observation)
How much heavier are they then a f/f and are they noisier??

Far easier to put on and take off.
Flip the front up at petrol stations and they don't usually mind you wearing it into the shop.

I would not go back to a full face unless I had to.
Not really much heavier or noiser as there's such a wide range of weight and noise levels just in full face helmets.

If you are the type of person who puts the helmet on, rides to their destination and takes the helmet off then a full face is fine.
If you're going to be stopping along the way for photos, chatting etc then the flip front is great.

My helmet goes on and off 6-7 times per day and the flip front makes that a lot easier.

I've just got the Zeus cheapie in black with a breath guard and custom chin spoiler/wind stopper thing.

nigelp
21st July 2007, 17:07
I just got the basic kit today and installed in about 10 mins. What is gives you is 2 audio adaptors (3.5mm and 2.5mm) speakers and mic. Tried with my radar and was too quiet to work effectively even on full volume. Sounds ok with the Ipod plugged in. The guy at Sportszone said that most people end up getting the intercom kit as does all that media kit does plus more. He said that they have only sold one bluetooth kits there ever!

As for wind noise it is better than my old FFM but not dead quiet.

I like the flip up front as I wear glasses when riding and much easier to put glasses on with that type of helmet.

Lou Girardin
22nd July 2007, 17:22
I guess you won't be bothering the local importer with any warranty claims then?

Dodger
22nd July 2007, 19:16
I find the wind noise on mine to be quite bad. My old full face HJC was very quiet.
With the Nolan I seem to get quite a bit. enough to be annoying anyway.
Would like to try someone else's nolan at some stage and see if it's just my helmet, or something to do with my jacket etc.

Ronnie
25th July 2007, 06:52
Yes, the n102 has plenty of wind noise, try wearing a scarf.The other day I was riding and I was wearing a thick jearsy with an ginormous collar under my mc jacket and the noise seemed to be less...:sunny:

zadok
25th July 2007, 09:30
I find mine certainly isn't a quiet helmet, but I have found that every helmet I've owned goes the same way anyway. The style, ease of removal, anti-fog, sun visor, all make it worth it for me. I wear earplugs anyway, so it's ok.

yod
25th July 2007, 10:22
I find mine certainly isn't a quiet helmet, DITTO

but I have found that every helmet I've owned goes the same way anyway. DITTO

The style, ease of removal, anti-fog, sun visor, all make it worth it for me. DITTO

I wear earplugs anyway, so it's ok.DITTO

10char....

fergie
25th July 2007, 13:35
just unpacked my basic kit/intercom kit for my nolan n102 and of course the bastard murhpy has reared his ugly head again! i find that the charger that comes with the kit has a different plug to nz so will have to chase up an adapter.
don't ya hate it when that happens!

yod
25th July 2007, 13:50
just unpacked my basic kit/intercom kit for my nolan n102 and of course the bastard murhpy has reared his ugly head again! i find that the charger that comes with the kit has a different plug to nz so will have to chase up an adapter.

hey mate, can you tell me, where'd you get it, what did it cost and is this the unit that everybody has been saying only does mono, not stereo?

fergie
25th July 2007, 13:53
got the basic and the intercom from motmail $ 280 all up, the basic kit has 2 speakers so assume its stereo, time will tell. now just have to take the plunge and install the thing!

NordieBoy
25th July 2007, 15:21

What plug is it?

Delphinus
25th July 2007, 16:26
got the basic and the intercom from motmail $ 280 all up, the basic kit has 2 speakers so assume its stereo, time will tell. now just have to take the plunge and install the thing!

So how does that work? Can you get your own basic kit and plug in your own mp3 player and/or radio device?

yod
25th July 2007, 16:46
So how does that work? Can you get your own basic kit and plug in your own mp3 player and/or radio device?

i'm led to believe the basic kit (about $80 i think) allows you to plug in any 2.5/3.5mm audio plug but it only puts the sound out to the speakers in mono signal - i guess to make you fork out for the additional kit....

i could be wrong...waiting to hear what these chaps say who have bought the kit(s)

fergie
27th July 2007, 10:46
fitted the basic kit and the intercom kit last night. have to say i am not pleased with how it turned out. the lining does not fit or feel as secure as it used to, also the unit does not switch on easily ie i have to hold my fingers on the inside of the helmet to increase pressure on the contacts.will have to wait to get wifeys helmet and fit basic kit to see if i can iron out the kinks.

BMW
30th July 2007, 18:08
Great review & thanks for the link, I was in the process of looking for a new flip,will definately go for this deal.

hey ta for that. I was thinking of getting one next year. Seems doing it this was may mean a better deal.

But one question- does the bluetooth come in stereo? I want to listen to some music!

Dodger
30th July 2007, 19:48
i have to hold my fingers on the inside of the helmet to increase pressure on the contacts.

I had this problem.. try this.
Open the ncom panel on the side of the helm, and check the contacts that the "sim" card rests against.. you can pull them out a little which improves the contact. :)

Dodger
30th July 2007, 19:59
the basic kit has 2 speakers so assume its stereo, time will tell.

I'm sure it's only mono, the input plug is a 4 "pin", 2 for the speakers, and 2 for the mic.
I could be wrong though.

The problem I'm having is that the volume of the speakers is to low.
I'm just using the basic kit and a lead connected to my cellphone, maybe I need the intercom kit to help boost the signal. (would prefer the bluetooth kit though, but at 350-400 it's a long way off)

fergie
2nd August 2007, 13:29
I had this problem.. try this.
Open the ncom panel on the side of the helm, and check the contacts that the "sim" card rests against.. you can pull them out a little which improves the contact. :)

thanks Dodger,will try that tonite.

ammo_alan
2nd August 2007, 21:05
I done the same a few days ago, and reading your post made me realise i have done the right thing:rockon:

fergie
6th August 2007, 16:03
went for a blast last night to try out the intercoms, pillans sounded perfect, clear voice etc, althought she said my voice was coming thru broken up , guess there may be some fine tuning to do or maybe i have turned the unit onto phone mode or something? methinks i will read the manual again. very pleased with the system though.

fergie
9th August 2007, 11:57
went for a trip to thames and back last night, i could hear wifey clear as but she could not hear me?, anyone else had this sort of problem? not sure what course of action to take first. cant help thinking it's something to do with the way im turning the unit on, i hold the button down till i hear it beep. but if i press the button agin there are other beeps heard? any suggestions?

bernardf
9th September 2007, 17:16
check out this thread re nolan n-com interesting reading
really need to go the bluetooth route for improved sound
i hope this helps
also a mate bought a 102 but had to modify the forehead foam due to it causing him to have headaches from the pressure so he trimmed it and now it is great

Zukin
9th September 2007, 17:52
check out this thread re nolan n-com interesting reading
really need to go the bluetooth route for improved sound
i hope this helps
also a mate bought a 102 but had to modify the forehead foam due to it causing him to have headaches from the pressure so he trimmed it and now it is great

What thread??? :confused:

denill
24th September 2007, 09:32
This thread has been a godsend as otherwise I would not have contemplated Nolans. What you guys wrote got me thinking Nolans. I contemplated getting a pair from the States but went locally as I reckoned I might need some after sales help. And I did!!

I got a sharp deal from a local dealer and the importers, Eurobke installed the InterCom Kit and the Basic Kit. They stuffed up by installing the Basic Kit to both helmets. Only the rider helmet should have that? Any how they put that right.

To cut a long story short - The intercom works brilliantly. Very clear without extraneous noises even at the highest volume, like breathing and wind noise at speeds up to 140ks (on a closed road). Unlike the previous systems I have had! Sound is clear and not distorted and I would rate it 10 out of 10. Although I'm still not too sure which button to push and when. Just kept playing till something worked.

It was not ALL easy though. Eurobike provided a Nolan Multimedia wire for the Radar hookup. But it didn't work!! EuroBike didn't know why but Sharon at Remac took one look and said I needed an adaptor plug to take it from stereo to mono. $3 dollars! Presto the radar worked.

Next morn, Sat, set off for Gisborne - plugged it all in - no intercom!!!
At Wairoa, by chance - on another function -just before I heaved the lot into the river - discovered plugging in the radar mutes my voice to pillion?? I can hear the pillion?? So disconnected the Radar and it worked.

Think I will take the easy way out and use a separate helmet speaker for the radar. Unless someone can point me in the right direction??

BTW it really pissed down from Wairoa to Gizzy and the helmets worked well.

So thanks Guys for your info on this thread. Over the past 15 years or so I have bought 3 systems and they all ended up in the trash can. The last one was nearly 10 years ago and I had decided to forget about an intercom.

Cheers
Bill

denill
24th September 2007, 09:36
went for a blast last night to try out the intercoms, pillans sounded perfect, clear voice etc, althought she said my voice was coming thru broken up , guess there may be some fine tuning to do or maybe i have turned the unit onto phone mode or something? methinks i will read the manual again. very pleased with the system though.

See my post below. When i plug in the radar it mutes my voice to pillion??
I can hear the pillion??

Grub
24th September 2007, 10:09
Denill ... great to have you in the Nolan crowd and also am very pleased to hear that the quality etc is better than you thought or have had before. We've never had anything before and so therefore no benchmark. We like our helmets LOTS and it's good to know we've made the right call.

I'm not sure what your setup is. You have buttons so therefore you have at least 1 helmet with the Bluetooth kit? Are you cabled together or on bluetooth?

I haven't tried multimedia devices other than a radio. The phone jack is the 2.5mm one and the media one is the 3.5mm one. I know music (3.5mm) should mute when the *phone* (2.5mm) is answered. My helmet is the bluetooth 'master' and Nasty's appears to be the 'client'. If I have music in my helmet, she hears it over the intercom. We haven't tried it the other way

denill
24th September 2007, 10:46
Hi Grub

We have hard wire connections - not bluetooth.

Just had a call a few minutes ago from the Eurobke rep!! to see how it went. (That's why buying off shore is not always best) He suggested trying the multi media lead round the other way.
Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers
Bill

pjpnz
25th September 2007, 08:58
I need the Nolan! How do I make sure I get the right size?? Thank you.

denill
25th September 2007, 14:56
I have already written how we are rapt with the Nolan N102s we purchased last week. They have exceeded our expectations.

One of the factors in buying locally was the possibility that some after sales service was required. It has - and that has also exceeded our expectations. Ericksen Honda have provided A PLUS service - as have the Nolan importers Eurobike also. :clap::clap:

As written previously - the only problem we have with the system is that the rider to pillion audio is muted when plugged to the Escort R/Detector. Everything else works fine??

Today Tony from Eurobike replicated my setup in their office and it works fine for him. After much e-mail and phone discussion I am still unable to get my set-up working, so he has offered to call in to my address next time he's in town!
In the meantime I have got around that by using the cord and separate earpiece that I used in the Shoei.

If you are contemplating buying off-shore, as I did - think again :argh::argh:

Swoop
29th September 2007, 17:23
i could hear wifey clear as but she could not hear me?, anyone else had this sort of problem?
This appears to be an anomaly in the male/female makeup of the universe. Please reverse polarity immediately.:Oops:

MotoHaus are stocking the Nolan helmet!!!
Looks bloody good!

NighthawkNZ
7th October 2007, 21:03

I have the N102 and have never noticed mine leak and have riden in a few down pours with it...

Alpha Solo
10th October 2007, 18:47
Great helmet - good for walking into petrol stations / and being seen on the road etc

Ive installed the bluetooth kit and have been using my nokia phone to play back MP3's. great in the garden but at 100km + (on private roads) I have to turn it up to 11 and the distortion level is too much, anyone got any good ideas?

:wacko:

denill
27th November 2007, 08:58
Help!
What is the story re-charging the n-com battery?

Does it need to be totally discharged? Or can it just be topped up?

fergie
27th November 2007, 11:25
I have "topped" up the battery but prefer to let it go totally flat first. seems to work both ways without any noticeable difference.

denill
7th December 2007, 07:06
Thanks Fergie.
Ummm, I read the manual - I do that last, :doh:

"For optimum battery performance, it is recommended to always carry out complete re-charging cycles for the first charges.
Subsequently the battery can be re-charged for shorter time periods.
Wherever possible, it is better to carry out a complete re-charging cycle".

Alpha Solo
7th December 2007, 15:06
I just spent the last few days trying to get it to work with some bluetooth stuff, before I realised the battery was flat!

:doh::doh::doh::doh:

Alpha Solo
7th December 2007, 15:56
Can anyone tell me the spec (and polarity) of the power supply for the bluetooth battery???

I'm in Auckland and am on the road for the next 5 days and using the bluetooth would be great...

I just need to know the amps etc then I can run down to Dick Smith and get a replacement.

1000 thanks in advance!!!

YellowDog
7th December 2007, 16:10
Yes, I have experienced a leak on one occasion only. This was during torrential rain. Generally not a problem in rain.

YellowDog
7th December 2007, 16:11
Can anyone tell me where to get a Bluetooth headset that actually fits this helmet?