PDA

View Full Version : Gaahh!! Good start to the day / end to the week...

vifferman
11th May 2007, 10:58
So.
Didn't get much sleep last night, due to the demons and the Vifferbabe Sawmills Ltd.
Soap.
I was running really late this morning (still haven't had my coffee!), and felt like shit. After I'd sorted out the insurance company's cock-up of our alarm being zapped by EMI due to one of those March storms sending a lightning bolt a little too close to our abode, I finally set out for work.
An hour late.

First thing I see as I'm heading out the gargre is a cop.
On our street (not unheard of - we've had 18 bad crashes in one year).
So, I take it easyish, coz I dunno which way he went (no donut shops in the area).

I take it easyish for a few km, then get a bit over-exuberant.
Where the hell did that sireeeny sound, and them flashy lights come from?!?:shit: There were no cops behind me.
I think.
Blah blah blah, 73 in a 50, $170, 35 points.
Fair cop (the ticket, and the guy.) He was going the other way (didn't see his black stealthmobile). He sounded like he would've left it alone, if I hadn't been so far over the limit.
I've been MUCH further over the limit, so I have no complaints.
I'm just stupid, and semi-nonfunctional, and very tired.

He didn't even check the bike, with it's illegal front confirminators and illegal zorst. If he had, he would've seen the brand-new rego, which expired on Tuesday, and got put on last night.
He was only interested in the fact that I was going so fast he couldn't ignore it.

Actually - there were a lot more cops this morning (6? 8?) than I usually see (0). I should go to sleep at night, then I'll be on my way to work while they're still doing the donuts'n'coffee thing.

Big Dave
11th May 2007, 11:00
Sympathies - Write the cheque - post it - close the episode and move on - slower.

vifferman
11th May 2007, 11:30
Sympathies - Write the cheque - post it - close the episode and move on - slower.
Meh.
No sympathy required, but thanks all the same.
I'm WAAAY ahead on the misdemeanours versus punishment front.
I've been riding/driving since '73 or thereabouts, and have had a total of 4 tickets in that time: one in 1975 for 41mph(?) in a 30mph ($10), one (75 or 76) for 38mh in a 30 (was actually doing 75ish) for which I was pinged the princely sum of $16, and one about three years ago for 132km/h in 100 ($300 and 40 points).

In that time, I would've exceeded (exced?) the speed limit never (I've never been faster than the speed of sound, nor the speed of light), but I frequently ride/drive like a cock, for which I have been inadequately recompensed by the BikerGodz (two bikes and one car written off, no broken bones) and barely recognised by the constabulary.

I was a bit disappointed to get a ticket this morning, but only because (like the last time), I hadn't seen the cop, and I'd failed to control my right hand. Apart from the money/points, and the various flapping of the gums/flailing of the arms that is sure to come from the vifferbabe, it hasn't made much of a difference.
And at least this is one motorcyle-related expense the vifferbabe can't gainsay. Too late...

Big Dave
11th May 2007, 11:37
Good that you aren't dwelling on it.

Swoop
11th May 2007, 12:34
Swap you?
Walking out the house this morning and hear "pop"... :scratch:
"What was that?" thunks I.
Then "POP!!!" + additional smell of wiring burning..
"WTF?????!!!!!"

Look at hot water cylinder and quickly switch off the electrickery supply!

Three hours later, one plumber, one heater element, one visit to the electrical wholesalers...

Your $170 bill. Wanna swap? I''l pay yours if you pay mine! :rofl:

vifferman
11th May 2007, 12:59
Three hours later, one plumber, one heater element, one visit to the electrical wholesalers...
Yeah, I've had some of those moments.
I've had five (5!!) water leaks in various ceilings and walls (two were just after I'd finished plastering/painting, one was just after I'd finished tiling). I also had a watermain burst just in front of the front doorway.
I've had two R/Rs go tits-up on bikes.

Luckily, I fixed all of these myself, so no especially big bux.

The vifferbabe didn't make much noise about the ticket. I'm amazed.
I think she's just got to the point where she knows I'm a screwup, so nothing's too unexpected.
"Whatever will he do next?!?"

The Pastor
11th May 2007, 15:32
so how many points have you got now?

Steam
11th May 2007, 15:53
What's a confirminator?

vifferman
11th May 2007, 15:57
so how many points have you got now?
Just 35.
I got 40 last time, but they've long gone.

avgas
11th May 2007, 16:00
Why i walk to work. its only work - they dont pay me enough for speeding tickets

vifferman
11th May 2007, 16:01
What's a confirminator?
They're what D'Aucklanders use (sparingly, if at all) during/after the fact, to confirm that the manouevre they just made was deliberate.
The rest of the world use indicators before they make a manouevre, to indicate what they're about to do.

My confirminators look like this:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=46799

vifferman
11th May 2007, 16:03
Why i walk to work. its only work - they dont pay me enough for speeding tickets
Good stuff - it's what I too used to do, back when i lived in Hamilton, and lived 3 blocks from work.
And in Tauranga, when I was the woman of the house, and occasionaly did some ManWork, like programming, or carpentry, or wanking.

sels1
11th May 2007, 16:06
I'm WAAAY ahead on the misdemeanours versus punishment front..

So its better to get a little ticket now and then, to having it all catch up at once?!

Toaster
11th May 2007, 16:27
Dunno where you are exactly, but there is a traffic operation on in the Rodney District this weekend - already started.

vifferman
11th May 2007, 17:02
So its better to get a little ticket now and then, to having it all catch up at once?!
Mmmmm.... no.
It's better to be a Lert.
I managed full Lertness between 1976 and 2004 with no tickets (not even parking or speed camera ones).
My recent LosingOfThePlot has a lot to do with it, methinks. The previous ticket was sheer jinxery: I told another biker I hadn't had a ticket in around 30 years, and the BikerGodz were not amused and swatted me the very next day. :shit: