PDA

View Full Version : Mods and their powers

MadDuck
11th May 2007, 22:16
You know I have been here for a damn long time and I know my post count isnt very high. I read all the shit that goes on within the site and mostly I read and laugh as I have a sense of humour.

I am done laughing! Ash if you choose to bow out then I cant blame you but I do have concerns about the "site police" and the fact that they post with "closed" postings so no one can discuss or debate the topic.

3 of them are top people and I am sure will carry this on to grow even more but I wil always recall the day I met you and Wari and to where we are now.

No doubt this will be deleted or I will be sin binned...thats life!

ajturbo
11th May 2007, 22:19
ok... who is the 4th?

The Pastor
11th May 2007, 22:39
well, they do have the worst job on kb.

But there is no free speech what they say goes thats the end.

What I hate is when you bitch about it they take it personally, I don't think ive met any mods in RL and if I say "this mod is a cunt" Its not a personal attack. Its becuase the mod pissed me off. Mods need to be seperate from shit i.e., move and delete posts but don't take it so serriously its a freeking net forum man.

Don't enter into corrospondance, if the mod deletes somthing, then gets called a bitch in a pm, just delete the pm and the orgianal post.

Quartermile
11th May 2007, 22:44
You know I have been here for a damn long time and I know my post count isnt very high. I read all the shit that goes on within the site and mostly I read and laugh as I have a sense of humour.

I am done laughing! Ash if you choose to bow out then I cant blame you but I do have concerns about the "site police" and the fact that they post with "closed" postings so no one can discuss or debate the topic.

3 of them are top people and I am sure will carry this on to grow even more but I wil always recall the day I met you and Wari and to where we are now.

I found that and had a small concern with some things said in one of these threads, so I PM the Mod who started it to query thins and ended up with an adequate answer.

Personally I can't see why people can't PM Mods about this sort of thing and if they feel they want to post it for all to see, maybe they are just questioning to appear smart and to stand up to the Mods.

MissFinn
11th May 2007, 22:45
well, they do have the worst job on kb.

But there is no free speech what they say goes thats the end.

What I hate is when you bitch about it they take it personally, I don't think ive met any mods in RL and if I say "this mod is a cunt" Its not a personal attack. Its becuase the mod pissed me off. Mods need to be seperate from shit i.e., move and delete posts but don't take it so serriously its a freeking net forum man.

Don't enter into corrospondance, if the mod deletes somthing, then gets called a bitch in a pm, just delete the pm and the orgianal post.

You really are gay aren't you. (Notice there wasn't a question mark after that?)

xwhatsit
11th May 2007, 22:49
Meh I think the mods are pretty good. They're really easy-going. Trust me, I think a lot of people on this site this is the only forum they've ever spent much time on, and most other forums around the net are either a) heavily, heavily moderated (trust me, KB is not), or b) an absolute shithole of nonsense where nobody does anything useful and there's no sense of community.

I think the mods have struck up a good balance here. Don't talk about free speech; this is a forum, not a democracy. If you want free speech you're welcome to it, set up your own forum and go and post all your own shit on there.

Of course there are inconsistencies, the mods are human. But whinging about that is like whinging to the cops, `oh but how come you're ticketing me for 120kph, last week another cop let me off for that...'.

Call them `site police' or dictators or whatever. If they weren't there to do their jobs, then this site would be a festering shithole, instead of the great resource and community it is.

The Pastor
11th May 2007, 22:51
You really are gay aren't you. (Notice there wasn't a question mark after that?)

is finn not putting out?

MadDuck
11th May 2007, 22:59
I think the mods have struck up a good balance here.
Call them `site police' or dictators or whatever. If they weren't there to do their jobs, then this site would be a festering shithole, instead of the great resource and community it is.

Agree totally kind of. I guess I am a bit ticked off that when OAB - who is a top bloke posts a thread on the front page that no one can respond to then its not really democracy is it?

xwhatsit
11th May 2007, 23:07
Agree totally kind of. I guess I am a bit ticked off that when OAB - who is a top bloke posts a thread on the front page that no one can respond to then its not really democracy is it?

No, it's not a democracy. I didn't say it was. It's not, it's a forum.

Besides, what would having responses gain? Just another argument. More work for the mods, pruning out more rude posts that have little relevance to the announcement.

James Deuce
11th May 2007, 23:09
It isn't a democracy.

It's a Forum hosted on space paid for by SpankMe, setup by SpankMe, and administered by SpankMe. The decision to pass administration, content management, format and moderation management to Senior Mods - made by SpankMe. The Rules are openly posted. There shouldn't be any confusion.

There are other closed announcement threads. Why pick on this particular one?

johnnyflash
11th May 2007, 23:09
Well said xerxesdaphat, I agree with your views, These forums are never a democracy, Mods & site rules are a fact of life, they do a bloody difficult job, and if they get it wrong every now and then, "get over it" they have the same bad days as everyone else.. if you play in someone elses domain expect to follow their rules, plenty of opportunity to run your own site and write what you like these days... if you feel the need to express yourself, but all said I find this site pretty loosely moderated and most users are aloowed plenty of rope, lol

MadDuck
11th May 2007, 23:16
It isn't a democracy.

It's a Forum hosted on space paid for by SpankMe, setup by SpankMe, and administered by SpankMe. The decision to pass administration, content management, format and moderation management to Senior Mods - made by SpankMe. The Rules are openly posted. There shouldn't be any confusion.

There are other closed announcement threads. Why pick on this particular one?

Its amazing really. I chose this one because its a big change for the site and we/me (who have been here since the beginning) have no say. I have financially supported the site and have an opinion. Thats all it is an opinion and I welcome the debate.

Why cant the mods do the same?

James Deuce
11th May 2007, 23:21
Yes it's a big change.

Do you HAVE to contribute financially or was it a donation? Wasn't the donation made to a private individual?

What would be gained from a discussion?

Surely your beef is with SpankMe for changing the terms of the site, not the people doing the same old job they've always done, as WELL as now having to step up to more voluntary tasks?

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand what the problem is, or why the people who have been nominated by the site owner to run it are somehow the villains or perpetrators of some "betrayal".

McJim
11th May 2007, 23:30
I thought mods all rode scooters...I ride a bike does that mean I'm a rocker?

I've met Spankme, Ixion, Riff Raff, Mental Trousers, and Frosty and found them to be affable enough people in the flesh.

I've never met a senior moderator but then I've barely even had a PM from one.

MadDuck
11th May 2007, 23:33
Yes it's a big change.

Do you HAVE to contribute financially or was it a donation? Wasn't the donation made to a private individual?

What would be gained from a discussion?

Surely your beef is with SpankMe for changing the terms of the site, not the people doing the same old job they've always done, as WELL as now having to step up to more voluntary tasks?

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand what the problem is, or why the people who have been nominated by the site owner to run it are somehow the villains or perpetrators of some "betrayal".

The donation(s) were made by me because the site gave me so much in the way of friends ...enemies...laughter ...people to take the piss out of. I have no beef with Spank or I would have said so (and he would have told me to piss off). I do not have to contribute financially but chose to like a lot of others.

BUT outright change like has happend at least deserves a debate. Dontyathink?

MadDuck
11th May 2007, 23:37

I've met Spankme, Ixion, Riff Raff, Mental Trousers, and Frosty and found them to be affable enough people in the flesh.

I've never met a senior moderator but then I've barely even had a PM from one.

I have met them all. Just watch that Frosty ...hes a dodgy bastard and Riff has a pussy in her helmet

Quartermile
11th May 2007, 23:49
Oh my god that mod is like such a bitch, these mods just like think they like are like so great but they're like not.

No attacks at anyone here but I swear some people on this site sound like 15yr old teenage girls.

James Deuce
12th May 2007, 00:00
BUT outright change like has happend at least deserves a debate. Dontyathink?

Think about it. The Senior Mods didn't make the decision. They were told what was happening and given the extra work. Yes they accepted, but how would a debate have helped? A debate with whom? The debate would have had to have been generated by SpankMe.

You've done the right thing by starting a thread to generate a debate, but you've chosen your target very poorly.

How does attacking the Senior Mods help generate a debate about an already been and gone decision? Aren't you just shooting from the hip with your eyes closed?

MadDuck
12th May 2007, 00:13
I guess you misread my post MicJim. Its about supporting the site, You all rant and rave but how many of you have helped to support the running costs?

I guess where I am coming from is that Spank has asked for our support in the past and I have happily given because the site is a blardy awesome site.

I will always support this site and Spank but I am not sure I can support who he has chosen to run the site - thats my choice.. Would have been nice to be consultated before it all changed

James Deuce
12th May 2007, 00:20
Take it up with Spank. Seriously. I can't for the life of me see how attacking people who are doing the same voluntarily job NOW makes any sense. Nothing's effectively changed and you can still donate money to Spank if you want.

SpankMe appointed the Senior Mods. If you don't want them then deal with it through the authority that appointed them. They weren't voted in to the job. KB isn't a democracy.

I think using the "I've Donated To The Site" card is actually in very poor taste. It is a voluntary donation after all.

The thread title is about "mods and their powers" and your posts so far seem to be suggesting the KB has the wrong senior mods, so if I've got the wrong end of the stick, so be it.

I'm assuming you were directing your post at me, because I can't see that McJim said anything that was in need of a rebuff.

insane1
12th May 2007, 00:46
theres nothing wrong with a debate is there thats all mad duck wants cant see no harm in that.

James Deuce
12th May 2007, 01:24
So why isn't the thread titled: Debate about recent site changes?

The contents of her posts have certainly not been about that.

I'm all for ANY debate. I'm surprised and disappointed that most people who want a debate about the "changes" have taken to Mod bashing instead of actually saying something worth listening to.

A veiled insult is not a good place to start a debate, nor is a site announcement.

onearmedbandit
12th May 2007, 03:11
We (the senior mod's) chose to close that thread so the message did not get lost with attacks etc on the mod's of the site, which due to a few members was excessive enough already. At no stage did we say that no one could talk about the situation, in fact feedback was encouraged. And this is exactly what you are doing here, which is fine. And as stated there is going to be no changes here (at the current time) although once again feedback is welcome.

And no the site isn't a democracy. What exactly is it that you wanted to debate?

fozz rock
12th May 2007, 03:14

ha ha good shit jim bing on the way(when i can)

slowpoke
12th May 2007, 06:11
I have financially supported the site and have an opinion.

Not an attack by any means but giving a donation does not entitle any of us to extra privileges or rights...to assume otherwise would mean we had bought something rather than donated. A gift is not a gift if you expect something in return.

Madduck, you're obviously a bit confused and upset about recent changes. This is understandable given your long association with the site, but I think you are talking to the wrong end of the horse.

Talk to the Mod Gods, as you say, they are a good bunch of people and I'm sure they'll be far more more helpfull than we ever could be.

ajturbo
12th May 2007, 08:24
ok............ yawning now....

make a bridge..

or better still

ON YER BIKE:Punk:

Blackbird
12th May 2007, 09:14

make a bridge..

or better still

A very good suggestion:Punk: I'll be on mine tomorrow at the Taupo waterfront buying Mrs B brunch if anyone else is passing through that way....

Grahameeboy
12th May 2007, 09:20

make a bridge..

or better still

They may need some nippon clipons though though

Joni
12th May 2007, 09:21
The other thing people have not thought about: The decision to hand the site over was because of the amount of shit that a dozen or so members have been causing... Spank could not be arsed dealing with all the drama anymore, so he handed it over to us (Gee thanks!)...

Anyway my thoughts are if everyone has just kept it simple and not gone out of their way to abuse and cause shit this change would never of happened...

The crap stepped up, so the site had to step up to meet it. That is the main reason the decision was made. Spank can now concentrate on what he enjoys, the technical stuff... not the dramas a handful of people are set on causing.

Grahameeboy
12th May 2007, 09:25
The other thing people have not thought about: The decision to hand the site over was because of the amount of shit that a dozen or so members have been causing... Spank could not be arsed dealing with all the drama anymore, so he handed it over to us (Gee thanks!)...

Anyway my thoughts are if everyone has just kept it simple and not gone out of their way to abuse and cause shit this change would never of happened...

The crap stepped up, so the site had to step up to meet it. That is the main reason the decision was made. Spank can now concentrate on what he enjoys, the technical stuff... not the dramas a handful of people are set on causing.

Keep up the good work..............tis a shame but sure it will calm down...........kids do grow up eh.......now where did I put my rattle

Squeak the Rat
12th May 2007, 09:46
I've just realised I've got a few hours to kill. SH22 here I come :scooter:

That was sort of a perspective post - what are all you nobs doing on the internet on a sunny saturday morning :bleh:

Grahameeboy
12th May 2007, 10:01
I've just realised I've got a few hours to kill. SH22 here I come :scooter:

That was sort of a perspective post - what are all you nobs doing on the internet on a sunny saturday morning :bleh:

You are right....it's not sunny here and some of us have kids to look after.....not that I would change that..

But enjoy SH22....one of my must do's for the future

Virago
12th May 2007, 10:08
Its amazing really. I chose this one because its a big change for the site and we/me (who have been here since the beginning) have no say. I have financially supported the site and have an opinion. Thats all it is an opinion and I welcome the debate.

Why cant the mods do the same?

I can't understand what your beef is.

The mods chose to put up a closed thread, confirming the site management changes, and asking for people to play nice.

One closed thread - so what? It was a site announcement thread, not an invitation to winge and abuse.

Does that stop you from posting up your own thread on the issue? No.

You wave your site donation flag as if that entitles you to special consideration, and that's out of order. Be aware that many others quietly make donations for the running of the site.

Spank had to pull back, sick and tired of the constant childish petulance on the site. Yet he was in a position of being treated with some reverence, as the site owner. The Mods however seem to be regarded as fair game, and are under constant attack.

How long do you think they'll put up with it? The future of the site is at stake here.

Paul in NZ
12th May 2007, 10:30
Funny isn't it....

We bag the mad maori MP for telling us not all gangsters are criminals and that we need to understand gangs and in fact gangs have a legal right to exist. Yes, we created a free and democratic society where people can pretty well do what they want whith in the boundaries of the law. But we (the great unwashed) don't like gangs do we - they are more often than not criminals and violent ones to boot and their associates willingly intimidate individuals to get what they want - they take our hard won freedoms, manipulate and corrupt them and throw it back in our faces and THAT is what is truely horrible about them...

So - what to do - ban the gangs? We can't do that without the real possibility of making lawful and 'decent' organisations illegal as well - something the criminals will be quick to exploit in their defence at society will be diminished. Its a real problem because the ordinary folk only have the cumbersome state to counter the highly mobile and well organised guerilla tactic of the gangs.

In an on line society such as KB we seem to have a similar problem - a group of self professed 'freedom fighters' repeatedly stepping outside the norm's of acceptable behaviour and challenging authority at every opportunity because the freedom loving masses design space to allow this. In essence - just by existing, KB created it's own gang problem. The question is what to do about it and considering that one of the options was Spankme saying 'Screw this for a game of soldiers' and just pulling the pin - we ended up with a slightly different reality.

So whats it cost the average KB citizen? Well we will never hear from the majority - just the extremists so only time will tell. I'm sad to see people go but frankly if they are causing so much trouble others are leaving because of it then we need to man up and support/protect the community because on the net - we aint so powerless as we are in real life. How about just being grateful for what has been provided and accepting that like everything, KB is NOT perfect but to survive it does need some kind of order - order that will be imposed if individuals cannot exercise enough self discipline to stay inside the lines.

Kendog
12th May 2007, 10:37

I find it funny that I have not seen a thread, or even a post, bagging Spank, who is actually responsible for this change. No, people here seems hell bent on gunning the mods down at every opportunity.

Well said Joni. I have not always agreed with some of your posts or decisions in the past but it really is easy to get over. I guess for others it is not so easy to follow rules hence the need for the changes.

You guys are doing a good job, keep it up.

Al
12th May 2007, 11:57
Funny thing is that nobody HAS to respond to threads or posts or comments....

If you do not like something, LEAVE, maybe you will be doing everyone a favour?

Mods are here to sort out the shit, voluntarily, so start playing nicely kiddies!

Al

WarlockNZ
12th May 2007, 12:50
I'd just like to drop my 2 cents into this debate.

I'm a fairly active member on the site ... and i haven't seen any trouble, sure i've seen the odd bit of abuse, but hell it's the internet, you get that anywhere, people are more than happy to sling shit when they are protected by a screen and keyboard.

I've always been of the firm opinion, that if you something to say to me that's abusive, say it to my face, strangely enough, no one ever does... but i guess that's just human nature.

As for the Mods .. which would you rather have, a group of people who give their time and effort to provide the rest of us with a decent community or no site at all??

I think the choice is pretty simple.

I have no doubt that this site will begin to evolve, much in the same way as IRC channels do, with mods being added and removed as the need arises, in a perfect world, mods would not be needed, but once again, this is not a perfect world and i for one am happy to have a place like KB.

It would be a pretty sad world without it.

MadDuck
18th May 2007, 21:47
I can't understand what your beef is.

The mods chose to put up a closed thread, confirming the site management changes, and asking for people to play nice.

One closed thread - so what? It was a site announcement thread, not an invitation to winge and abuse.

Does that stop you from posting up your own thread on the issue? No.

No but I thought it would...i had assumed I would be banned given the history of bannings but I have to say ...thanks to the mods for allowing a freedom of speech in this case!

I have no beef just an opinion (be it good or bad) and I sure as hell dont want to be seen as raising the donation flag because that is just not me. But dont wave the "Spank has has no financial help" flag either. Those few that have taken the time to get to know me know thats not where I am coming from.

I've had a fair bit of abuse over my posting and I am not sure why but I can handle it. Thats what you get from a site where so many different personalties can come together with just one thing in common...ITS CALLED BIKES!!!!!

Madness
18th May 2007, 22:38
I see the Mods as being people similar to myself, having an interest in Bikes and a love for KB. If and when I feel that I could be arsed, or do a better job than them I will have an opinion to voice.

Until then, keep it up chaps.

:scooter: