PDA

View Full Version : Yellow headlight bulbs legal?

Matt
11th May 2007, 23:06
Does anyone know if it's legal or not to have a yellow headlight bulb? getting sick of cages not seeing me (although the new 'zorst may help soon) and just found one still in it's box at the back of the garage...

bugjuice
11th May 2007, 23:20
and you think yellow will make them see you more?
yellow dulls the sharpness of the tone and makes it blend in too much, and they're really crap at night.. Just buy a higher wattage bulb instead, or/and those 'ice blue' things.. Or just don't go near cages. The majority of them will be looking you in the eye, and still pull out. Nothing is gonna change that

Gremlin
12th May 2007, 01:54
Yellow are generally not very bright, but I do believe they are legal. Watch out for the ice blue ones, some can be useless in terms of practical lighting, for night.

http://www.hella.co.nz/?t=9&pcid=281&sct=1

I love the Hella bulbs, you need to know H4, or whatever, then look for the +50% bulbs, most have the prod code XU on the end... or XU2, to indicate twin pack. Brilliant lighting over standard crap.

ZeroIndex
12th May 2007, 02:46
Just go fast enough to make yourself visible... I know it seems crazy, but when you go flying up behind or around people, there's no denying they know you're there

Skyryder
12th May 2007, 19:34
As far as I know they are. There's a bit of a myth about yellow bulbs in that they penetrate fog better. I came across a site some time back with some tests that showed that this was not so. Not too sure if you have a day or night prob. Daytime shove your light up into high or go for a more wattage.

Skyryder

Patrick
12th May 2007, 23:02
Just go fast enough to make yourself visible... I know it seems crazy, but when you go flying up behind or around people, there's no denying they know you're there

Yep... good call...:doh: there WAS a guy down these parts who thought that...until the old couple pulled a Uey in front of him...