PDA

View Full Version : Who should fix my fairings?

Mr Skid
6th September 2004, 10:58
As you all know by now, I managed to throw my bike down a 3 meter bank at the weekend, resulting in my left wrist in a cast, and a sprained right ankle.

However while I will mend with time my fairings wont, so who do you sugest I do? Feel free to post suggestions not included in the poll..

riffer
6th September 2004, 11:07
As you all know by now, I managed to throw my bike down a 3 meter bank at the weekend, resulting in my left wrist in a cast, and a sprained right ankle.

However while I will mend with time my fairings wont, so who do you sugest I do? Feel free to post suggestions not included in the poll..
Now how do I vote on this without knowing your budget?

Hitcher
6th September 2004, 11:10
Ask yourself this question: "Do I want fairings that look like shit, or not?"

badlieutenant
6th September 2004, 11:14
I have rebuilt one of my own fairings once. I couldnt source a replacement that was cheap enough. I used newtech as it bonded to the plastic well. Considering my entire fairing fitted in a new world shopping bag when it was in bits it came up bloody well. But took alot of time. be prepared to spend hours and hours sanding filling etc. and i repainted my whole bike. Might be easier to buy a second hand one or, depending on prices buy it new. Isnt there a crowd called totaly fairings or something ?

riffer
6th September 2004, 11:20
Ask yourself this question: "Do I want fairings that look like shit, or not?"
IMHO fairings that look like shit are cooler ;)

riffer
6th September 2004, 11:21
I have rebuilt one of my own fairings once. I couldnt source a replacement that was cheap enough. I used newtech as it bonded to the plastic well. Considering my entire fairing fitted in a new world shopping bag when it was in bits it came up bloody well. But took alot of time. be prepared to spend hours and hours sanding filling etc. and i repainted my whole bike. Might be easier to buy a second hand one or, depending on prices buy it new. Isnt there a crowd called totaly fairings or something ?
I think you mean Just Fairings.http://www.justfairings.co.nz/

Mr Skid
6th September 2004, 11:21

Poor staving student.. Everything else on the bike is ok, just the plastic, so I'm not going to be replacing clutch levers etc.

I'm going to be keeping it until at least the end of next year when I finish uni.

I'm thinking about drilling the fairings, fitting crash bungs, and taking it to the track..

riffer
6th September 2004, 11:27
In that case, I suggest you talk to Logan.

kerryg
6th September 2004, 11:42

IMHO the best outfit in Auckland is Grille + Bumper Exchange who do excellent work, charge very reasonably and have 2 day turn around. They won't do your paint but they're "the bomb" for plastic repairs. They've done lots of work for me and I can't praise them highly enough. Talk to Paul (ph 4445553) and tell him Kerry sent ya (and he'll probably charge you double :) ). There are others will charge you more but I reckon they're no better. For paint it depends on your budget and what standard you want. Reflections on the Shore are excellent but dear, and Brian Meadowcroft at Huntly is excellent and reasonable, and they're all sloooowwwwww...but Mount Smart Colour Centre will make you up spray cans in a good match for $25 a can (no substitute for real paint of course but it's a very acceptable and cost effective solution if you're not after perfection).

Mr Skid
6th September 2004, 12:44
IMHO fairings that look like shit are cooler ;)

Yeah, I'm sure the "I ride on the ragged edge/ a quarter of a mile at a time" look will impress the ladies around uni :sly:

Shame their wont be any mean scars to add to the bad boy image.. Maybe a "Owned by 22" tatoo would do the job.. :lol:

riffer
6th September 2004, 12:52
Yeah, I'm sure the "I ride on the ragged edge/ a quarter of a mile at a time" look will impress the ladies around uni :sly:

Shame their wont be any mean scars to add to the bad boy image.. Maybe a "Owned by 22" tatoo would do the job.. :lol:
Check out my profile pic to see what I mean...

Mr Skid
6th September 2004, 12:52
IMHO the best outfit in Auckland is Grille + Bumper Exchange who do excellent work, charge very reasonably and have 2 day turn around. They won't do your paint but they're "the bomb" for plastic repairs. They've done lots of work for me and I can't praise them highly enough. Talk to Paul (ph 4445553) and tell him Kerry sent ya (and he'll probably charge you double :) ). There are others will charge you more but I reckon they're no better. For paint it depends on your budget and what standard you want. Reflections on the Shore are excellent but dear, and Brian Meadowcroft at Huntly is excellent and reasonable, and they're all sloooowwwwww...but Mount Smart Colour Centre will make you up spray cans in a good match for $25 a can (no substitute for real paint of course but it's a very acceptable and cost effective solution if you're not after perfection).

Thanks Kerry, I guess it comes down to me deciding whether to keep the bike in good condition for selling it a year and a half from now, or to do a home job on it and use it as a way to learn how to ride quickly..

Mr Skid
6th September 2004, 13:13

Yep, your fairings definitely have that rough and ready look about them..

I've had a quick look over them, and it doesn't look like the paint is scratched at all, as the bike didn't hit the road, rather the fairings got cracked sliding down the bank.

Maybe I'll fix them up and get you to put some war wounds on them? :msn-wink:

dhunt
6th September 2004, 13:29
How bad are they? Mine had some cracks and had one hole in them. Which I have fixed up with a bit of fibre glass. Sure it will never look quite as good as if I got it done professionally. But with a couple stickers or racing stripes no one will probably ever notice them. I haven't got round to the final covering/painting as I'm waiting for a bit of fairing that was missing when I got the bike.

David

FzerozeroT
6th September 2004, 13:30
need some photos of the damage, cracks can be duck taped (yes i know it's duct) from behind while the superglue sets, then get some enamel paint (not spray) and fill the cracks and scratches with it, then use cutting compound to cut back the paint so the cracksonly are filled with paint. MINT AS!

badlieutenant
6th September 2004, 14:03
I think you mean Just Fairings.http://www.justfairings.co.nz/
sweet :D i had heard about them but could never remember exactly what they were called. which is lucky or id have got them to make me some new ones and would never have scored the other bike. was actually looking for thier website when i came across the sale :D life is a good thing :D

badlieutenant
6th September 2004, 14:06
actually just checked that website out, pretty good prices really. 525 for my entire from end. nice. oem one side fairing on mine is about 750$ if you could get them.

Midnight 82
20th October 2004, 11:13
:mobile: Give kawaKid a call HEHE :bye:

flying_zzr250
23rd October 2004, 01:28
Hi

Had crashed my bike too. Try riding it Naked. They usually look good too.
And if you have a bit of time and cash. You can make them pretty neat.

I have a zzr250. getting the whole bike done up. Carbon coating to the frames and wheels. And fairing painted.

Its kinda big job but fun. :)

best of luck

vivek

Angry Puppy
23rd October 2004, 07:57

Shit! Man, are you short. What do you do when you have to stop at the traffic lights?

:2thumbsup

FB

Ms Piggy
23rd October 2004, 08:49
:crazy: Oh no! Sorry I must've missed that post. Can someone direct to it? So I can post sympathies, oooo's and ahhhh's appropriately.

Mr Skid
23rd October 2004, 17:56
:crazy: Oh no! Sorry I must've missed that post. Can someone direct to it? So I can post sympathies, oooo's and ahhhh's appropriately.

Another thread back from the dead! :lol:

The bike's back on the road, minus side fairings ( they only get in the way when your sitting on the tank) and with a rangi looking top fairing held together with gaffa tape.

The rest of me is coming right. Still a few niggles, but good enough to ride.
:2thumbsup

inlinefour
7th August 2005, 12:14
I'd definitely get the professionals to do it, if I was wanting to keep the bike. BTW, hows things up on WINJA'S roof? Got it painted yet? :weird:

oldfart
7th August 2005, 14:59
I'd definitely get the professionals to do it, if I was wanting to keep the bike. BTW, hows things up on WINJA'S roof? Got it painted yet? :weird:

Weather a bit crap in the Naki today???? :whistle:

bugjuice
7th August 2005, 16:55
why the heck has this come up again? this is yonks old..

Mr Skid
7th August 2005, 21:41
I'd definitely get the professionals to do it, if I was wanting to keep the bike. BTW, hows things up on WINJA'S roof? Got it painted yet? :weird:Honda, you're a twat.
Piss off out of my thread.

Motu
7th August 2005, 22:30
Honda, you're a twat.
Piss off out of my thread.

Oh,so that's who it is - same old tricks eh,what a dork!

You got a bad rep yet Rhys?

Looks like you made it home safe and sound...and wet.