PDA

View Full Version : Test ride report. RVF vs VFR

Morcs
13th May 2007, 13:16
1992 VFR400R NC30 vs 1996 RVF400 NC35

Friday morning tootled over to cyclespot to drop the vfr off to have the speedo fixed, id already expressed a casual interest in the rvf they had, and cheekily asked to take it out, although with my history they let me have it for a few hours.

Took it down the road coughing and spluttering, realised they had the fuel tap off, and then was suprised that there was no engine braking and it was idling at 3k... well the choke was on - which is unusual as my vfr choke doesnt hold a constant high rpm above idle... 10 buks of gas later, and after telling cyclespot 'I wont go far'....

Performance. Got on the motorway and opened her up a bit, there is quite a delay in the throttle response - due to it having 30mm flatside carbs rather than the nc30's 32mm cvs - so they work of vacuum and you have to wait for them to work... It didnt seem to have the same punch in the midrange either. Took it round the harbour, sits on the motorway nicely, and is as joyous to ride as an nc30. Heading back down the motorway to cyclespot decided to really give it some herbs coming off the on ramp, flicking through the gears at about 13k it got up to 180 before slowly going off the clock, kind off disappointing as my nc30 seems to get to 200+ in under 10 seconds. More scrutinous testing in this area is required. Cant comment on economy as of yet.

Gearing is suprisingly different, whearas an nc30 with stock gearing will hit 100kph in first, the rvf pretty much hits 100kph at red line in second - but with much shorter gearing you would expect much better pickup - this isnt the case. my nc30 dropped a tooth on the front and still has higher gearing than the rvf - but has way better pickup. But then like the nc30, the power range is so good that you dont need to flick through any gears and still have enough grunt.

Riding position and bodywork. The riding position is more cramped than the nc30, im 6' 2'' but can still be quite comfortable - when you have your feet in normal position - ie. toe tucked underneath levers then your knees are too far forward on the tank, whearas if you push your feet back with toes on the pegs then knees fit snugly in the part of the tank that knees are meant to go. I swear the handle bars are higher too, which means less weight on the wrists. Seat is pretty much identical, and pillion seat is noticeably narrower. Insruments and controls are all nicely visible and accessable - except the top of the tacho - from about 10k through to redline - you have to be at full tuck to see it under the screen. A double bubble screen will remedy this. When i got back on the vfr it felt very noticelably bigger.

Handling. There isnt a huge difference despite the rvf having a 17'' rear wheel rather than the nc30's 18''. The rvfs rear shock didnt bottom out like the nc30s as soon as i sat on it. Tyres were some bridgestone touring tyres, with hardly any lean angle, so didnt get to test that aspect. Id definately throw on a set of dunlop gpr100s or gpr70's. I read on wikipedia than whearas the nc30 will hold a line perfectly, the nc35 can change line mid corner - i decided to put it to the test, and it does it beautifully due to the usd front forks. Brakes felt really nice and solid too, the same as the vfr just they have had 30,000k's less wear on the disks..

Looks. this is the reason i bought it, a bike as good as an nc30, but modern looking, immaculate, beautiful and not 15 years old.. The rear end is nicely reshaped, and the main change is the front end - foxeye headlights look trick, with air intakes either side, and the zxr-esque air ducts going into the tank look cool too.

Worth twice as much as an nc30? simply no. Its not twice the bike. Engine performance the nc30 wins hands down, handling will no-doubt be the rvf once its got some good rubber, and the rvf looks sooo damn good I could eat it...

Coyote
13th May 2007, 13:27
Mmm, you're trying to get me to buy your VFR aren't you? There's some RVF forks on trademe, might get them with the money I save. That means you'd have good power and good handling right?

ben444
13th May 2007, 14:06
RVF triple clamps won't fit into the nc30 frame... the later model nc30 forks have the same internals as the rvf anyway so shouldn't make much difference... a honda rs250 front end would be the trick... I see there is a set of rs triple clamps on trademe.. you'll need a spacer but they'll fit onto the nc30, and lighten the front up a lot... mine does wheelies of the throttle(has rvf engine/ shorter gearing)...

Coyote
13th May 2007, 14:24
RVF triple clamps won't fit into the nc30 frame... the later model nc30 forks have the same internals as the rvf anyway so shouldn't make much difference... a honda rs250 front end would be the trick... I see there is a set of rs triple clamps on trademe.. you'll need a spacer but they'll fit onto the nc30, and lighten the front up a lot... mine does wheelies of the throttle(has rvf engine/ shorter gearing)...
Is the RVF frame that much different to the VFR? I thought it'd be a straight swap. Shows how little I know :p

Looks like I'm still keen on the RVF. Shorter gearing sounds good for wheelies and town riding. Although that lag in power puts me off a bit. Can you boost the RVFs power up to VFR spec anyway? I've wanted to explore the idea of fuel injection, not so much cause I need more power but I'd be interested in tinkering around getting such a system to work. Then if that works, move onto a turbo :D

ben444
13th May 2007, 14:47
Looks like I'm still keen on the RVF. Shorter gearing sounds good for wheelies and town riding. Although that lag in power puts me off a bit. Can you boost the RVFs power up to VFR spec anyway? I've wanted to explore the idea of fuel injection, not so much cause I need more power but I'd be interested in tinkering around getting such a system to work. Then if that works, move onto a turbo :D

HRC carb kits are still avaliable for the rvf, and stick a race pipe on it to free up the exhaust flow and some of that wonderful noise, should do the trick nicely for the road.
We've thought about VFR800 fuel injection with a power commander on my race bike, but prob wouldn't be worth it. RLR racing in the uk, do ram-air airbox which gives a healthy 70odd hp..
turbo would be bit tricky with the exhaust routing, supercharging would be easier, but you might need 20hp of the 60 the bike has to run the supercharger.. I wouldn't trust a VFR/RVF with more than 75hp anyway as internals start braking then... the cranks aren't the strongest..

Coyote
13th May 2007, 14:52
HRC carb kits are still avaliable for the rvf, and stick a race pipe on it to free up the exhaust flow and some of that wonderful noise, should do the trick nicely for the road.
We've thought about VFR800 fuel injection with a power commander on my race bike, but prob wouldn't be worth it. RLR racing in the uk, do ram-air airbox which gives a healthy 70odd hp..
turbo would be bit tricky with the exhaust routing, supercharging would be easier, but you might need 20hp of the 60 the bike has to run the supercharger.. I wouldn't trust a VFR/RVF with more than 75hp anyway as internals start braking then... the cranks aren't the strongest..
I remember seeing some site showing off their VFR with a 450cc conversion and it had titanium conrods and such. Although that'll all be big money so I'd have no hope

TYGA sell both the HRC carb kit and they have their Moto Maggot 'silencer' and their full exhaust system. In the future when I'm earning more I'd possibly get them. Same with that ram air box

Got to get the bike first... then get it on the road...

Morcs
13th May 2007, 14:53
These bikes are more than enough fun standard. For either id just recommend doing the exhaust.

ben444
13th May 2007, 15:00
Oh hell yeah... 400's rock.. just put a load exhaust on to get that v4 sound outta em..

G-force in america build those 450 engines, they've had custom pistons rods and cranks made... with special race gas they hp readings in the high 80's... faaaaark!!!!

kneescraper
13th May 2007, 15:21
Ive always thought of the VRF/RVF is to be ultimate bike to own. Once of those bikes that if I could justify spending that coin on a 400cc of that age I would.

Do they have alot more power than a CBR400rr? Ive seen pictures of the VFRs doing powerstands out of slow tight corners...mind you those bikes may have been modified.

Coyote
13th May 2007, 15:31
Oh hell yeah... 400's rock.. just put a load exhaust on to get that v4 sound outta em..

G-force in america build those 450 engines, they've had custom pistons rods and cranks made... with special race gas they hp readings in the high 80's... faaaaark!!!!
Are those engines based on the VFR/RVF motors or are they completely different?

Coyote
13th May 2007, 15:32
These bikes are more than enough fun standard. For either id just recommend doing the exhaust.
True, just I can be power hungry at times

That Micron exhaust on your VFR tempts me...

Morcs
13th May 2007, 15:36
True, just I can be power hungry at times

That Micron sticker on your VFR tempts me...

:laugh:............

Coyote
13th May 2007, 15:38
:laugh:............
You crafty sunovabitch

RVF it is then

ben444
13th May 2007, 17:43
Ive always thought of the VRF/RVF is to be ultimate bike to own. Once of those bikes that if I could justify spending that coin on a 400cc of that age I would.

Do they have alot more power than a CBR400rr? Ive seen pictures of the VFRs doing powerstands out of slow tight corners...mind you those bikes may have been modified.
Outta the factory they have the same HP.. but easier to get hp out of CBR than a vfr..
CBR400RR NC29 is a fantastic bike, I used a standard one for my everyday bike, did thousands and thousands of km's on it and never let me down.. raced it too when i couldn't bothered getting my race bike ready.. more than holds it own in the twistys..

Are those engines based on the VFR/RVF motors or are they completely different?
They were VFR nc30 engines... they're still developing them.. next will be cams, fuel injection, ports.... don't wanna know how much that's gonna cost... so i didn't ask..

skidMark
13th May 2007, 18:01
nice write up man.

when do i get to ride it huh huh huh?:dodge:

skidMark
13th May 2007, 18:03
You crafty sunovabitch

RVF it is then

haha yer micron sticker....hes too poor for the exhaust...tricked me too as i walked up to it to ride it then i went aye.it has a micron zorst!...until disco dan pointed out the honda stamping on it...i was like...bastard lol

Coyote
13th May 2007, 20:03
haha yer micron sticker....hes too poor for the exhaust...tricked me too as i walked up to it to ride it then i went aye.it has a micron zorst!...until disco dan pointed out the honda stamping on it...i was like...bastard lol
I should threaten to dob him into trademe for false advertising unless he knocks the price down further :p

Coyote
13th May 2007, 20:05
They were VFR nc30 engines... they're still developing them.. next will be cams, fuel injection, ports.... don't wanna know how much that's gonna cost... so i didn't ask..
Interesting, so they mount back into the VFR/RVF frame? Got a link to their site if they have one?

Disco Dan
13th May 2007, 20:15
1992 VFR400R NC30 vs 1996 RVF400 NC35

Friday morning tootled over to cyclespot to drop the vfr off to have the speedo fixed, id already expressed a casual interest in the rvf they had, and cheekily asked to take it out, although with my history they let me have it for a few hours.

Performance. Got on the motorway and opened her up a bit, there is quite a delay in the throttle response... It didnt seem to have the same punch in the midrange either. Took it round the harbour, sits on the motorway nicely, and is as joyous to ride as an nc30. Heading back down the motorway to cyclespot decided to really give it some herbs coming off the on ramp, flicking through the gears at about 13k it got up to 180 before slowly going off the clock, kind off disappointing as my nc30 seems to get to 200+ in under 10 seconds. More scrutinous testing in this area is required. Cant comment on economy as of yet.

Worth twice as much as an nc30? simply no. Its not twice the bike. Engine performance the nc30 wins hands down, handling will no-doubt be the rvf once its got some good rubber, and the rvf looks sooo damn good I could eat it...

err if you dont like it, and only bought it because of its looks why did you buy it???

Seems your NC30 is the winner here... why not wait a couple of weeks, get your full and upgrade to something better?

skidMark
13th May 2007, 20:25
hmmmmmmmmm

**steals morcs tail lights off his nc30 for his nc21's new tail ;)**

Black Bandit
13th May 2007, 20:27
err if you dont like it, and only bought it because of its looks why did you buy it???

Seems your NC30 is the winner here... why not wait a couple of weeks, get your full and upgrade to something better?

Maybe it's the craftman's curse? You see after repainting the the old VFR, most thought it was a great job. But to the craftmaster who knows every imperfection, perhaps it was gnawing away at him. Pure speculation mind you ... maybe he's just a bike whore? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

skidMark
13th May 2007, 20:31
Maybe it's the craftman's curse? You see after repainting the the old VFR, most thought it was a great job. But to the craftmaster who knows every imperfection, perhaps it was gnawing away at him. Pure speculation mind you ... maybe he's just a bike whore? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

yeah he has 2 hondas now his dream of a gay 3some has just come true

Black Bandit
13th May 2007, 20:40
Slap some Tyga fairings on and treat it to the Movistar paint job and it will look the shim dizzle! :jerry:

Disco Dan
13th May 2007, 20:47

Yeah it looks nice for a while then you just want another project to start on!

skidMark
13th May 2007, 21:00
arg i want a tyga kit they don't make one for nc21 though.....still don't like the headlights that much tho

Coyote
13th May 2007, 21:31
arg i want a tyga kit they don't make one for nc21 though.....still don't like the headlights that much tho
Their latest ones look much better than the original lights they made. The originals buldged out and didn't suit the angles of the rest of the bike

ben444
13th May 2007, 23:05
Interesting, so they mount back into the VFR/RVF frame? Got a link to their site if they have one?

G-Force don't have a website, but Mike Lohmeyer (http://www.akhara.com/racing/index.html) who races the G-Force bikes does..
Some information on there, but a bit dated...
Also check out recent info here (http://www.400greybike.co.uk/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57208&whichpage=1)

Coyote
14th May 2007, 06:58
G-Force don't have a website, but Mike Lohmeyer (http://www.akhara.com/racing/index.html) who races the G-Force bikes does..
Some information on there, but a bit dated...
Also check out recent info here (http://www.400greybike.co.uk/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57208&whichpage=1)
Haha, that was the site I found with the VFR450

So I guess they're still in development, not available for sale yet? Cause I'm interested in Morcs bike but 60,000k's is a bit high, it'd be more comforting knowing I could rebore it. There's also the option of finding another engine. Not that any of this should concern that bike untill around 120k right?

Morcs
14th May 2007, 11:17

This is exactly true.

Disco - you cant get better! wait til you see it :)

vifferman
14th May 2007, 11:23
Friday morning tootled over to cyclespot.
Man, that's an even worse start to a story than "It was a dark and stormy night..."
What a turn-off!

more_fasterer
14th May 2007, 13:11
Interesting write-up Morcs, makes me want an RVF less :blink:

Cause I'm interested in Morcs bike but 60,000k's is a bit high, it'd be more comforting knowing I could rebore it. There's also the option of finding another engine. Not that any of this should concern that bike untill around 120k right?

That would be a fair comment, except for 60,000km being a bit high. Mine's done 66,000km and the valve clearances and compression were still well within spec (last time the clearances were checked was at 52,000 and they weren't adjusted then, either).
Like most jap engines, treat it to regular oil changes using quality oil and it'll be sweet. The parts that wear out are the chassis components - shocks, forks, bearings, bushes etc.

skidMark
14th May 2007, 13:38
my nc21 has 30,000 nya nya!

moT
14th May 2007, 14:18
i will hapily race test any vfr400 this sunday at taupo if anyone is interested just pm me i would be happy to give them my verdict

HenryDorsetCase
14th May 2007, 16:20
I had the first ride of my NC30 on Saturday. Its a racebike so I was at a trackday in Timaru.

My bike was sold to me by KB-er Postie, and was owned by another KBer prior to that.

Its got a great loudener on it, and good tyres. I am still setting it up to suit me, and I am anything but fast, but it handles well. I like those tyres (Dunlop GPR70 I think... saved my ass from a quite lurid front wheel slide at one point... it was all about the tyres and nothing about talent...)

My clutch is REALLY high effort: is that normal? I am going to start with a new clutch cable, but crikey!

seems to be quite quick (but it has no speedo so I have no idea).

It desperately needs more ground clearance... or at least to lift the footpegs and other hard parts. My toe sliders are looking very sad.

(so are my knee sliders though!!!! :rockon: )

yup, Im pretty happy so far.

and another track day next week. hopefully will be getting into the groove a bit more.

I am interested to hear what people have done to them, where they got bits from, how much they cost, etc): I like to spend money on tyres, suspension, brakes then engines....

Morcs
14th May 2007, 16:56
I am interested to hear what people have done to them, where they got bits from, how much they cost, etc): I like to spend money on tyres, suspension, brakes then engines....

Mine is stock standard, tried hacking the baffle out of the exhaust (and failed) but still sounds pretty good, everything else is standard, running gpr100's front and rear, and it rides perfectly on the track.

I used to find the lack of ground clearance an issue, but have adjusted my foot/knee position on the pegs when cornering, but a pair of race rearsets would helps heaps, but with dunlop gpr70/100's you dont really need them as you are pretty much on the edge of the tyre when pegs touch tarmac.

limbimtimwim
14th May 2007, 17:33
Took it down the road coughing and spluttering, realised they had the fuel tap off, and then was suprised that there was no engine braking and it was idling at 3k... well the choke was onMine does that once it has got some heat in it.
Performance. Got on the motorway and opened her up a bit, there is quite a delay in the throttle response - due to it having 30mm flatside carbs rather than the nc30's 32mm cvs - so they work of vacuum and you have to wait for them to work...If it isn't feeling correct by 7000rpm, something is wrong. Under 7000rpm, it's a pile of shit. Maybe 6500 it's all good if the stars are in alignment. Check the airfilter and clean the carbs. Also the Wikipedia article is wrong, the carbs are CV carbs, they just happen to have a flat side on the pistons, which is really weird but there you go. Smaller carbs should respond better than bigger ones. The airflow into the head on an NC35 is much straighter than that of an NC30.
It didnt seem to have the same punch in the midrange either. Took it round the harbour, sits on the motorway nicely, and is as joyous to ride as an nc30. Heading back down the motorway to cyclespot decided to really give it some herbs coming off the on ramp, flicking through the gears at about 13k it got up to 180 before slowly going off the clock, kind off disappointing as my nc30 seems to get to 200+ in under 10 seconds.While I don't doubt and NC30 is faster than an NC35, I think the NC35 speedo isn't a liar like most. I'm pretty sure when it says 110, it means you are doing 110, not 98km/h. But then you'd think the NC30 speedo would be the same..?
I read on wikipedia than whearas the nc30 will hold a line perfectly, the nc35 can change line mid corner - i decided to put it to the test, and it does it beautifully due to the usd front forks. Brakes felt really nice and solid too, the same as the vfr just they have had 30,000k's less wear on the disks..Har har.. I wrote the original version of that Wikipedia article. That's my bike in the picture too.
Engine performance the nc30 wins hands down, handling will no-doubt be the rvf once its got some good rubber, and the rvf looks sooo damn good I could eat it...Try Bridgestone BT-090's. Seriously.

And get the HRC CDI, it makes the top end feel like it should. Just an extra 2% better and suddenly you won't hit the limiter as often.

Enjoy your RVF, you'll love it.

Morcs
14th May 2007, 17:43
Mine does that once it has got some heat in it.If it isn't feeling correct by 7000rpm, something is wrong. Under 7000rpm, it's a pile of shit. Maybe 6500 it's all good if the stars are in alignment. Check the airfilter and clean the carbs. Also the Wikipedia article is wrong, the carbs are CV carbs, they just happen to have a flat side on the pistons, which is really weird but there you go. Smaller carbs should respond better than bigger ones. The airflow into the head on an NC35 is much straighter than that of an NC30. While I don't doubt and NC30 is faster than an NC35, I think the NC35 speedo isn't a liar like most. I'm pretty sure when it says 110, it means you are doing 110, not 98km/h. But then you'd think the NC30 speedo would be the same..?Har har.. I wrote the original version of that Wikipedia article. That's my bike in the picture too.Try Bridgestone BT-090's. Seriously.

And get the HRC CDI, it makes the top end feel like it should. Just an extra 2% better and suddenly you won't hit the limiter as often.

Enjoy your RVF, you'll love it.

Just what i was looking for, an rvf owner to comment, thanks heaps :)

Yeah the throttle sorts it self out pretty quickly, just there is a noticeable lag.

Pick it up tomorrow morning, so will be taking it for a ride tomorrow evening for 'further research; :D

Is the HRC Cdi really worth it for the money? plus does it cut out lights and stuff?

Dunlop gpr100's are a perfect allround tyre on these bikes methinks. Im going to keep the current bridgestones on over winter and get some good rubber next summer...

limbimtimwim
14th May 2007, 18:32
Just what i was looking for, an rvf owner to comment, thanks heaps :)They are just queuing up.
Yeah the throttle sorts it self out pretty quickly, just there is a noticeable lag. Under 7000 or below? I don't think it is easy to sort the fueling below 7000. Just go down a gear or two and pin it to get it past the hump :).
Pick it up tomorrow morning, so will be taking it for a ride tomorrow evening for 'further research; :D: Is the HRC Cdi really worth it for the money? plus does it cut out lights and stuff?Worth the money.... Hmm. That depends on how stupid with money you are. If you as stupid as me, yes, it is. It doesn't cut the lights and removes the 180km/h speed limiter. An HRC wiring loom would cut the lights.

moT
14th May 2007, 18:45
Get a vfr400 they are better preformance wise and the difference between a rvf and a vfr in aspects of handeling is hardly noticeable if there is any difference at all the rvf just looks prettyer i got a vfr and it handles like a dream and how it corners is mostly up to the rider there is a problem with the vfr tho the pegs are too low it needs higher set peggs scrapes too much good rubber is always nice bridgestone bt014s wear quick tho otherwise 010s ive been doing track days on a shinko they are very average tyres