PDA

View Full Version : Bought a 87 vfr1000r?

Spyke
13th May 2007, 21:37
hey guys my dads just getting back into biking and has bought a 87 vfr1000r site unseen and i'm wondering if anyone has ridden one of these and can comment on them (pros and cons).

the guy we're buying it off says its in good condition and has done 35,000 kms. and comes with a bike of parts to.

but has been dropped

we haven't actually got the bike yet but hopefully in the next week.

heres a few pics of what she looks like. in dire need for a clean, maybe strip it down and clean everything?

and what price would you pay for this bike?

thanks guys

xwhatsit
13th May 2007, 23:55
Woohoo! That's a cool looking bike. Love those retro 80s Honda sportsbikes, esp. the VFRs!

Ask the VFRPS.

nudemetalz
14th May 2007, 00:01
I remember those. A friend had one back in 1989-90. I rode it, while being heavy they handled well.
No camchains to worry about (gear driven), and nice torquey motor with a fair bit of stomp. I would check tyres and chain and sprockets because they're fairly hard on those.
Good to see it gots the original pipes, but they sound awesome with a 4:1 sports pipe.

Does it come with the seat cowl also?

Price? I'd say $3000-3500.

kiwifruit
14th May 2007, 00:12
cool bikes
i'd agree with mr nude re price
they are heavy but dont feel it when moving
i had the pleasure of riding one around taupo racetrack a few months ago..... loved it, nice a smooth with heaps of midrange and a great sound. :Punk:

Blackbird
14th May 2007, 06:59
Isn't that the VF 1000, not VFR? I seem to remember that camshaft and cam bush wear was an issue but a web search could confirm that as I'm a bit hazy on it now. This website should help: http://vf1000.com/

Spyke
14th May 2007, 07:08
in the auction someone asked if they could buy the seat cowl seperate and he said that he wanted to sell it with the bike.

so that must mean its got one, hopefully because its makes them look even better.

pritch
14th May 2007, 08:25
There was one at the local Honda dealer a while back. I asked one of the mechanics what they were like and he said they were a good bike.

He knew I wasn't in the market so he wasn't trying to sell it to me...

yod
14th May 2007, 08:50
hey guys my dads just getting back into biking and has bought a 87 vfr1000r site unseen and i'm wondering if anyone has ridden one of these and can comment on them (pros and cons).

the guy we're buying it off says its in good condition and has done 35,000 kms. and comes with a bike of parts to.

but has been dropped

we haven't actually got the bike yet but hopefully in the next week.

heres a few pics of what she looks like. in dire need for a clean, maybe strip it down and clean everything?

and what price would you pay for this bike?

thanks guys

dont worry mate, you got a good price for this (I was watching on trademe)
his reserve was originally about 3500-4000 for it so if you got it for 2500, you got a pretty solid deal

i was considering it myself but didnt quite want as big a unit as this and also wanted to get something newer than i already have

unfortunately i think you'll find its gone around the clock ie 135000km, not 35 (I think i asked him this the first time it was auctioned), but if you're prepared to rip it open and do a bit of a tidy up, that shouldn't be an issue

enjoy:rockon:

nudemetalz
14th May 2007, 10:13
Isn't that the VF 1000, not VFR? I seem to remember that camshaft and cam bush wear was an issue but a web search could confirm that as I'm a bit hazy on it now. This website should help: http://vf1000.com/

No, the VF1000F and the VF1000R have very different engines.
The F's still had chain driven camshafts and the cursed premature camshaft wear that also affected the VF750F's.

Also a bit of trivia - the VF1000R's were the first bike to come out with radial tyres, all this way back in 1984.

I had a video tape of the Castrol 6 hour back in 1984, and it showed these barrelling down conrod straight.......and the GPz900's overtaking them !!!
The mighty RZ500's won that, just pipping a VF1000R....and would you bellieve a Pop-Up Katana 750 came in third !!!
Hmm,..must find out where I put it.

Swoop
14th May 2007, 11:32
I think Nude'z price would be about right.

Get yourself a spare Reg/Rec... just in case!

Excellent if it comes with the seat cowl. They are bloody hard to find.

This message courtesy of the VFRPS.

merv
14th May 2007, 13:20
No, the VF1000F and the VF1000R have very different engines.
The F's still had chain driven camshafts and the cursed premature camshaft wear that also affected the VF750F's.

Also a bit of trivia - the VF1000R's were the first bike to come out with radial tyres, all this way back in 1984.

I had a video tape of the Castrol 6 hour back in 1984, and it showed these barrelling down conrod straight.......and the GPz900's overtaking them !!!
The mighty RZ500's won that, just pipping a VF1000R....and would you bellieve a Pop-Up Katana 750 came in third !!!
Hmm,..must find out where I put it.

I think what everyone is trying to say is this is a VF1000R not a VFR1000R because as far as I am aware no 1000 got called a VFR except by those calling the VF1000R a VFR1000 by mistake.

Nudes Conrod straight is at Bathurst and the Castrol 6 hour was at Amaroo or Oran Park so I presume you are talking about the old Easter bike races at Bathurst?

nudemetalz
14th May 2007, 13:26
oops you're quite right, my mistake.
Was the Castrol Six Hour which I think was Oran Park. It was where Wayne Gardner was racing the '1000R and only just got beaten by the RZ500.

Spyke
14th May 2007, 17:19
hopefully it doesn't give dad to much trouble, i just hope he doesn't go ape over the kms!

do any of you guys konw what kms these bikes are capable of?

thanks for all the info guys.

JimO
14th May 2007, 17:45
hopefully it doesn't give dad to much trouble, i just hope he doesn't go ape over the kms!

do any of you guys konw what kms these bikes are capable of?

thanks for all the info guys.

it would depend on how its been treated but i feel if it aint broke dont fix it it could have another 50000 ks in it or it might die next thursday

merv
14th May 2007, 18:52
If it truly has only done 35,000km the motor should still be in good nick because that isn't many kms at all for a 1000cc bike.