PDA

View Full Version : Speed camera defiance

zadok
14th May 2007, 09:39
Our Sunday paper made the front page story one of motorcycle defiance of speed cameras. It shows a chap in shorts and jandals 'flipping the bird' at a speed camera while speeding.
The speed cameras here are set up to take pics from the front, hence risers can't get pinged for speeding. There are a couple of special cameras just for us bikers that take pics from the rear. It's unfortunate that idiots like these do this sort of thing as the law then decides to bring in more measures to curtail our riding pleasure. They are already setting up two cameras back to back to catch bikers. I like to think I can go for a ride and give the bike a bit of a squirt without worrying about those damn cameras. Oh well, you always get some blonks that spoil it for the rest!:oi-grr:

Story: http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,21718631-948,00.html

Macktheknife
14th May 2007, 09:57
Dumbarse trick, why antagonise them?
If they get caught there will be no reason to pity them and once again the few disgrace the rest.

Kendog
14th May 2007, 12:50
Dumbarse trick, why antagonise them?
If they get caught there will be no reason to pity them and once again the few disgrace the rest.

I agree. There are far easier ways to get a picture of you on your bike, just get a friend to take a photo.

Oh wait, this guy obviously has no friends.

TerminalAddict
14th May 2007, 12:53
actions like this means soon we'll have front facing regos :(

not good at all (aerodynamics and and all)

Toaster
14th May 2007, 13:03

Not to mention they would look ridiculous on bikes!

Indiana_Jones
15th May 2007, 18:58
Well don't mind the old school places on the front mud guard :D

-Indy

sAsLEX
16th May 2007, 04:53

Doubt it.

Victoria, ie our governments pseudo brain, looked in to it and deemed it infeasible with the current bikes being made.

Search if you like its here a fair bit.

NighthawkNZ
16th May 2007, 07:36
Doubt it.

Victoria, ie our governments pseudo brain, looked in to it and deemed it infeasible with the current bikes being made.

Search if you like its here a fair bit.

I doubt it to... there is no where on the front to place them without interfering with the fron suspension, or covring the light etc... it was also deemed that the were more dangerous in a "accident"

NordieBoy
16th May 2007, 08:15
I doubt it to... there is no where on the front to place them without interfering with the fron suspension, or covring the light etc... it was also deemed that the were more dangerous in a "accident"

Yes there is.
Longitudinally on the front guard.

ghost
16th May 2007, 08:25
Whats the likely hood of this guy having a plate on the back when he did this? Making front mounted plates for the front of bikes will only mean they have to take two off to get up this sort of "fun", wont actually stop it. It'll just make it more diffucult for the majority of law abiding citizens, sounds like a fine bit of legislation for this goverment to railroad through............

Deano
16th May 2007, 08:41
Yes there is.
Longitudinally on the front guard.

I heard that those were outlawed after cutting up a few people in accidents.

NordieBoy
16th May 2007, 08:52
Cutting you up just before 200kg of bike hits you...

yod
16th May 2007, 09:00
yup, I've been caught and fined for speeding on a bike - doing 80 in a 50 zone just as i was coming north into the 50 zone at Paeroa - didn't even see the camera, this was about '95 so i doubt the intention was to get bikes, i'd say it was for traffic heading south and it was just bad luck for me

i've also been photographed in tokoroa (from the front) so I waved :spudwave: (I hope he got my best side....)

sAsLEX
16th May 2007, 09:01
Go here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=9279&highlight=front+mount+plates

ManDownUnder
16th May 2007, 09:03

There's more than one way to skin a cat though. Mandating number plate should be clearly visible on fairing or flat across front of bike perhaps?

They've solved that problem in racing circles - what makes you so sure they can't do it for the road going versions?

sAsLEX
16th May 2007, 09:11
There's more than one way to skin a cat though. Mandating number plate should be clearly visible on fairing or flat across front of bike perhaps?

They've solved that problem in racing circles - what makes you so sure they can't do it for the road going versions?

how many 6 digit racing numbers? Visible from speed camera angles

NordieBoy
16th May 2007, 09:29

Race bikes don't usually have lights...

VasalineWarrior
16th May 2007, 09:34
Our Sunday paper made the front page story one of motorcycle defiance of speed cameras. It shows a chap in shorts and jandals 'flipping the bird' at a speed camera while speeding.

Yaay! Buy that man a DB. Was prob just sick of the revenue gathering things give him a break

terbang
16th May 2007, 09:41
Fuck the speed cameras, I hate them.:love: Can't be arsed doing that sort of photo posing thing but have on a few occasions, when I saw them too late just kept going with some rather big numbers on the clock. Oh well, tough shit if they'd had a real cop there they would have fair caught me. Normally, regardless of on a bike or in a cage, I slow down and honk my horn at them then give them the finger.

ZeroIndex
16th May 2007, 10:37
Wow, those camera's actually get triggered by bikes?

ManDownUnder
16th May 2007, 11:13
how many 6 digit racing numbers? Visible from speed camera angles

Race bikes don't usually have lights...
Both good points, but with respect if it comes to mandating a solution to "solve a public menace" AND bringing in extra money I'd caution you against underestimating them in power.

Stuff like this speed camera pic can be used by anyone to kick up a PR storm to sway public interest... just long enough for them in power to do both of the above AND come out looking like the good guys.

Easiest option - don't do dumb shit in front of speed cameras.

SPman
16th May 2007, 17:47
Oh wait, this guy obviously has no friends.44 people dobbed him in - apparently

Yaay! Buy that man a DB. Was prob just sick of the revenue gathering things give him a break
He's a known local loose unit, with a string of prior traffic convictions, was serving a suspended sentence at the time. His no. plate was "Suicidal", along with several other plates found at his address.
Of course, if the camera wasn't there he wouldnt have done it, but, hey, theres a long tradition of playing up to the cameras. Of course, this is just a ploy to get even more 2 way speed cameras out there!

The Pastor
16th May 2007, 19:49
i'd do it, but i'd mask my face, borrow a helmet and jacket and take the fairings off.

And set my helmet on fire.

Mr. Peanut
16th May 2007, 21:50
Why stop at the helmet?

VasalineWarrior
17th May 2007, 23:26
44 people dobbed him in - apparently

He's a known local loose unit, with a string of prior traffic convictions, was serving a suspended sentence at the time. His no. plate was "Suicidal", along with several other plates found at his address.
Of course, if the camera wasn't there he wouldnt have done it, but, hey, theres a long tradition of playing up to the cameras. Of course, this is just a ploy to get even more 2 way speed cameras out there!

Sounds like a good bloke il look him up next time im in the area.

SPEED CAMERAS ARE THERE FOR REVENUE PEOPLE-THEY DONT SAVE LIVES AND GIVE MORE MONEY TO PEOPLE AND ORGANISATIONS THAT ALREADY HAVE PLENTY OF IT.

Be a patriotic kiwi and give you local speed camera the finger like this good chap today

Bob
18th May 2007, 00:25
Bloke did a similar thing in the UK... never thinking the police would make the effort to track him down.

Click here to see the news item (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=50110)

What a prat - make it easy by modifying your bike. Of course, I don't suppose he realised that there would be so few of the same bike in his area.

Sanx
18th May 2007, 09:04
yup, I've been caught and fined for speeding on a bike - doing 80 in a 50 zone just as i was coming north into the 50 zone at Paeroa - didn't even see the camera, this was about '95 so i doubt the intention was to get bikes, i'd say it was for traffic heading south and it was just bad luck for me

i've also been photographed in tokoroa (from the front) so I waved :spudwave: (I hope he got my best side....)

Heh ... I've been known to speed up for roadside camera vans. I really should aim to go past one with the front wheel in the air some day. It'd almost be worth the fine to get hold of the photo :Punk: