PDA

View Full Version : Raptor 1000 vs SV1000/ TL1000

Idubbs
14th May 2007, 10:12
Thinkin' bout getting a second hand Cagiva Raptor 1000 but wonder if any one has had experience with them, and for that matter your comments as to whether it could be a worthwhile adversary to a Suz SV1000 or the mighty TL1000S or R. Specially like to know the difference in engine power and torque of each the three (or is that four?).Appreciations in advance..........!

WRT
14th May 2007, 11:13
Check here for the specs:
http://www.motorbikes.be/en/

And although I haven't ridden a Raptor, my vote would be for the TLR. I know they are all supposed to have the "same" engine, but the R really does have so much more poke. Similar midrange, but with a top end rush the others cant match.

At the end of the day however, ride all of them and see which floats your boat.

Idubbs
14th May 2007, 12:41
Thanks for the link, WRT:Punk:

JimO
14th May 2007, 15:58
i have a raptor and i feel it has enough power for a naked bike (104 hp at the wheel) where as the others will be un naked and therefore the top end will be more useable but as another poster said whatever floats your boat

tl_tub
14th May 2007, 16:17
I have a TL1000s, and when i replaced the engine with an 'R' i really felt the upgrade in power. If you were considering a TLS try and find one that has a good condition spring or even an aftermarket solution for the rear shock

Idubbs
15th May 2007, 10:53
i have a raptor and i feel it has enough power for a naked bike (104 hp at the wheel) where as the others will be un naked and therefore the top end will be more useable but as another poster said whatever floats your boat

Yep.. not that fussy about absolute top end power in this case. I just like lotsa low down torque and for the bike to be easy riding through city commutes. I'd appreciate your comment on every day rideability, reliability and handling inside and outside city limits, please jimjim...... Others feel free to chime in!

terbang
15th May 2007, 11:26
I'm obviously going to bat for the Italian. I have the close relative of the Raptor with the same engine from the TL. The Cagiva (them who make MV Agusta) is a nicely balanced bike that handles really well. Probably the biggest thing against the Cagiva is spares support in NZ but there is good support from Aussie. A perfect match in my view with the very good and reliable TL engine and the excellent frame suspension setup that is unique to european bikes.

JimO
15th May 2007, 11:31
Yep.. not that fussy about absolute top end power in this case. I just like lotsa low down torque and for the bike to be easy riding through city commutes. I'd appreciate your comment on every day rideability, reliability and handling inside and outside city limits, please jimjim...... Others feel free to chime in!

everyday rideabilaty is fine and my wife commutes to work no worries and if you give it a handfull it gets up and goes, mine is fairly new so we have had no worries with reliabilaty etc it feels light to ride and overall we are really happy with it, i havnt ridden any of the others so cant comment on them but the riding position on the raptor reminds me of a trailbike sort of position but you can trundle along at 120 kph without to much wind worries

JimO
15th May 2007, 11:32
I'm obviously going to bat for the Italian. I have the close relative of the Raptor with the same engine from the TL. The Cagiva (them who make MV Agusta) is a nicely balanced bike that handles really well. Probably the biggest thing against the Cagiva is spares support in NZ but there is good support from Aussie. A perfect match in my view with the very good and reliable TL engine and the excellent frame suspension setup that is unique to european bikes.

we have a Cagiva agent in Dn and Triumph NZ are the importers

JimO
15th May 2007, 11:54
this is mine

Jinx3d
16th May 2007, 17:59
My mate has a TLR and I have a TLS, while the TLR does have a bit more top end, the sporty riding position of the R makes it a less friendly bike for long ride and commuting so I'm putting in a vote for the TLS

I love mine, arsy rear shock and all.

I'd go a cagiva, look great..but the italian aspect worries me when it comes to spares.

Anyone know if the cagiva got the S or the R motor?

I'm not a huge fan of the SV - I believe that this year it they gave it back the horse power the original TLS had from 1997 - but unforgivable - its got a thinner back tyre.

What were they thinking???

JimO
16th May 2007, 18:04
the raptor has the TLS motor and the V raptor has the TLR

Batcerb
16th May 2007, 19:40
Apparently the tyre selection was 1 of the thngs they faulted with the origional TLS.

The rim actually being too big, and that a 170 section would have been a better option over the stock 190.

Patch
16th May 2007, 20:09
If ya short an portly buy the raptor - especially if ya balding. Otherwise buy the Mighty TLR - or the s if ya inclined to riding semi naked.

Ahh, ride 'em all 'till ya happy - just don't treat 'em like a woman, otherwise you'll end up which the bitchy one that costs ya far too much, then you'll wish you bought the other one.

Happy hunting dude

Jinx3d
16th May 2007, 20:45
Apparently the tyre selection was 1 of the thngs they faulted with the origional TLS.

The rim actually being too big, and that a 170 section would have been a better option over the stock 190.

Well, I have no doubt that hours of controlled testing would prove you right but quite frankly, the rear tyre width IS directly related to cock size and you never heard anyone asking for a smaller cock did you?
:sick:

Idubbs
16th May 2007, 21:01
Well, I have no doubt that hours of controlled testing would prove you right but quite frankly, the rear tyre width IS directly related to cock size and you never heard anyone asking for a smaller cock did you?
:sick:

Thanks for all the info, folks. I thought I might add that now, as I anticipate from now on,a rapid decline in decorum!.....:moon:

Teflon
16th May 2007, 21:03
I would take a TLS over a R, just because of the way it makes power.. TLR is boring until about 8, then it fucks off..

carver
16th May 2007, 21:08
Thinkin' bout getting a second hand Cagiva Raptor 1000 but wonder if any one has had experience with them, and for that matter your comments as to whether it could be a worthwhile adversary to a Suz SV1000 or the mighty TL1000S or R. Specially like to know the difference in engine power and torque of each the three (or is that four?).Appreciations in advance..........!

my personal favourite i have ridden was a VTR thou with two bro's cans.
i aint ridden the TL or cagivia, but i rode the SV and thought it was a nice sports tourer, but not sporty.

Teflon
16th May 2007, 21:19
my personal favourite i have ridden was a VTR thou with two bro's cans.
i aint ridden the TL or cagivia, but i rode the SV and thought it was a nice sports tourer, but not sporty.
Yeah, i do miss my old Storm.. that was a fun bike.. TLR lacks grunt down low..

terbang
16th May 2007, 21:51
the raptor has the TLS motor and the V raptor has the TLR

Huh thats interesting. Think the Nav has the TLS but not sure.