PDA

View Full Version : fzr400 exup

Pages : [1] 2

Paul in NZ
14th May 2007, 10:20
Sooooo... This FZR400 gently bleeding all over the garage floor. Assuming I have to remove the engine and potentially replace it....

Um.... would a FZR 600 engine fit? and if so - where would a boy get one?

Sam I Am
14th May 2007, 11:09
YAMAHA FZR400 Group in Yahoo there all nutters in there lol and yes it fits the thundercat front end fits on too !!!
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/FZR400/
but from memory you need he 600 headers/pipe too its a wicked upgrade
i was going to do it on my 1TJ but never got round to it ..

from yahoo group

Installing a yzf600r engine is a shitload of work. Requires removing metal
from the shock mount and frame to clear the oil pan (or change oil pans),
bending the yzf exhaust to clear the rear brake (or remove the rear
brakes!), using yzf600 carbs with either pods and rejetting, or with fzr4
airbox without rubber seals, using some other radiator (fzr6 is direct bolt
on, but not as big, F3 is ok, yzf6 has all 5 in/out ports to match the
engine but is difficult to mount), probably need to swap the harness, and
the yzf electrics require some cutting and wiring and custom fitting. But
the fzr4 battery is bigger, so should work fine.

Listers have said the fzr6 engine is a direct bolt in, as are the computer,
reg/rect, radiator and exhaust, and uses same harness. I forget about the
airbox. Easy swap, and with a pipe it makes as much power as a stock yzf6.

Paul in NZ
14th May 2007, 11:21
Gleep - sounds like a bunch of work... maybe i'll just get this thing going again first... Thanks for the link though - I've applied to join up..

scracha
14th May 2007, 11:46
Sooooo... This FZR400 gently bleeding all over the garage floor. Assuming I have to remove the engine and potentially replace it....

AFAIK the 600 and 400 frame are same. Heard of a few FZR750/400 projects and even the odd exup thou being thrown in there.

FROSTY
14th May 2007, 19:55
Paul--Gimmea yell--

Colapop
14th May 2007, 19:56
nodrog has a 400 engine under his momma's house apparently...

Paul in NZ
15th May 2007, 11:35
OK - research phase is nearly completed and I'm pretty sure I know whats likely to be wrong. Either way the head is coming off and looking at the bike I think I should do that on the bench because it will give me a chance to fix a few of the other items. Also I'll drop the exhaust and check the exup valve (or ditch it)

I'll need a paddock stand to do that as the side stand connects to the steel subframe - any suggestions on a suitable stand for an 88 FZR?

Paul in NZ
15th May 2007, 11:36
nodrog has a 400 engine under his momma's house apparently...

Yes - we established that early on - hes being very helpful and i appreciate it.

Deano
15th May 2007, 11:42
You coming racing Paul ?

Paul in NZ
15th May 2007, 11:45
You coming racing Paul ?

Nah - Vicki likes it if I hang on for a bit

Paul in NZ
15th May 2007, 12:04
You coming racing Paul ?

Serious answer

I'd love that but the real aim of this project is a little closer to home. I want to sort this bike out properly - learn a bit more in the process and pass it on to a deserving (and hopefully RICH) new owner. Given my current work load that might take a while...

FROSTY
15th May 2007, 20:34
dripping with sarcasm ----I don't know ANYONE that imports and sells pitstands --and possibly pitstands that DEFINITELY fit a 400 yamaha

Colapop
15th May 2007, 20:38
Yes - we established that early on - hes being very helpful and i appreciate it.
See? I make clever and timely comments that are helpful... :crazy:

Paul in NZ
15th May 2007, 20:43
dripping with sarcasm ----I don't know ANYONE that imports and sells pitstands --and possibly pitstands that DEFINITELY fit a 400 yamaha

How much? Send me a PM.... Jeeze mate - how would I know - I've never owned a bike that needs anything so daft as a pit stand thingy - bloody stupid modern rubbish..

Paul in NZ
15th May 2007, 20:44
See? I make clever and timely comments that are helpful... :crazy:

Yeah - just stick to the comments and leave the carbs alone ya big lunk...

Colapop
15th May 2007, 20:49
Wha??? I done good!

Did I do bad?

Paul in NZ
16th May 2007, 09:13
Wha??? I done good!

Did I do bad?

fark - it's dirty and gloomy down in the bowels of this thing...

merv
16th May 2007, 13:01
What I'm still wondering about is how did Str8 get sold such a lemon in the first place?

How is your diagnosis going Paul and will it be out of intensive care sometime soon?

Paul in NZ
16th May 2007, 13:29
What I'm still wondering about is how did Str8 get sold such a lemon in the first place?

How is your diagnosis going Paul and will it be out of intensive care sometime soon?

Lemon is a very emotive term and maybe thats a matter for personal opinion - one mans gold is anothers brass and this IS a 20 year old bike all said and done. I've seen far worse and I've seen better. Its a mixed bag thus far and while I'm prepared to comment on stuff I can see - I'm NOT going to get involved in what may have happened in the past because it's all conjecture and it won't help me get the bike running. This bike is no different to hundreds of similar used jap imports Merv and the normal rules don't always apply. No one can tell what has happened in the past or where it has been. I'm starting to think it's done more work than is on the odometer but NO ONE can be sure of that. All I've got is the cold corpse.

My research thus far indicates that FZR400's have several 'known' faults. The worse of them being soft inlet valves and this is my # 1 suspect as it fits all known FACTS - however - more investigation is required.

Its also been difficult to start (a sign of valve trouble). This is a bad thing in any vehicle and is usually a sign of multiple problems. I have found several things that have alarmed me greatly and I will rectify them all with time. Some of these are relatively recent - some older.

It was a good bike once and I think I can make a good bike again - regardless of its history. But - it's glory days are well gone.

Paul N

btw - I would doubt that an FZR400 would ever be a bike I would rely on as my only transport. Fast and furious fun sure - but its old and delicate.

edit - I think it's fair to say - I was mildly outraged at the state a certain workshop left it in for the owner to deliver to me - to leave engine covers off and the plugs out in an engine like this - without clearing the valley between the cam boxes of road debris is both lazy and un professional and has created several problems for me. Not impressed!

hsvboy06
16th May 2007, 13:56
I'll need a paddock stand to do that as the side stand connects to the steel subframe - any suggestions on a suitable stand for an 88 FZR?
I've got one of these (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=25363) (actually the Mk I) - you're welcome to try it for size, but I can't really let you borrow it long term since (shock, horror!) I actually use it!

Paul in NZ
16th May 2007, 13:58
I've got one of these these (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=25363) (actually the Mk I) - you're welcome to try it for size, but I can't really let you borrow it long term since (shock, horror!) I actually use it!

Thanks very much for the offer but I'm arranging to purchase one because - well - this could take a while. I'm now responsible for a few other things at work and time is precious

hsvboy06
16th May 2007, 14:06
Yeah, I figured as much. I guess I was really just saying that buying one from swanman is an option, and you'd be welcome to try mine before buying one. No matter if you've got it sorted some other way. All good.

Paul in NZ
16th May 2007, 14:21
can anyone please tell me of a GOOD RELIABLE source of genuine Yamaha parts (gaskets etc) that will deal with me over the phone?

Cajun
16th May 2007, 15:17
there is wam_yam or simlar member here who works @ wakato yamaha that might help

Paul in NZ
16th May 2007, 17:10
there is wam_yam or simlar member here who works @ wakato yamaha that might help

Will he make himself known?? COME ON IN Mr ?

hsvboy06
16th May 2007, 17:24
WaiYam (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=5851)?

FROSTY
16th May 2007, 17:32
Paul---gimme another yeodle-the guys at Henderson Motorcycles are well up to speed with parts for that particular model--the other man you MUST make contact with is Greg percival--Um G percival on kb---Hes been racing and rebuilding em forever

Paul in NZ
16th May 2007, 19:26
Paul---gimme another yeodle-the guys at Henderson Motorcycles are well up to speed with parts for that particular model--the other man you MUST make contact with is Greg percival--Um G percival on kb---Hes been racing and rebuilding em forever

Thanks Tony. Any and all practical help is gratefully recieved.

Folks - I've recieved a lot of interest in this thread OK. I know the history - I know the stories and looking at the corpse - it's telling me it's own story and THAT story will be in this thread - NOTHING else.

I'm on a mission to make good this bike and I want to learn a bit more in the process. Learn about bikes OK - I already know too much about people!!!!!

I have not and will not point at anyone - this bikes a sick puppy - it's been used hard and put away wet for 20YEARS. WELL before any of the recent owners ever saw it. EXAMPLE - I have found a rubber tube on top of the crankcase - its made by Yamaha - lets assume Yamaha are not in the business of smuggling rubber tubes in used motorcycles so - at one stage this tube performed a function. What was it???? I dunno but I bet it was not there as a decorative item. To find it - I had to remove a ton of shit... and it had been there a looooong time.

I'm happy to delete this whole thread if it upsets everyone but I'm of the opinion that this will be a fun exercise. Frankly I reckon you are all scared I'll turn out to be an ace mech and a fuckin gun rider on a jap 4 and show you all up for the pussies you are...

Thanks...

merv
16th May 2007, 19:59
Keep at it Paul and I'll love hearing how it progresses.

FROSTY
16th May 2007, 23:47
said rubber tube is most likely the crankcase breather -runs up to the airbox fromthe crankcase end

ZeroIndex
17th May 2007, 00:38
Which way does the fuel cock point directions:
On/Off/Reserve? Mine doesn't have writing, and goes left, down, and right... what does it all mean?

Paul in NZ
17th May 2007, 08:42
said rubber tube is most likely the crankcase breather -runs up to the airbox fromthe crankcase end

Not any more it don't :yes:

Cheers mate - farking things a plumbers nightmare

Paul in NZ
17th May 2007, 09:38
Which way does the fuel cock point directions:
On/Off/Reserve? Mine doesn't have writing, and goes left, down, and right... what does it all mean?

Hey - at least you HAVE a fuel tap - mines broken off!

riffer
17th May 2007, 13:45
Hi Paul.

This may help:

http://www.commline.com/FZR/400/MANUAL/Service_Manual-corrected/

scracha
17th May 2007, 13:52
My research thus far indicates that FZR400's have several 'known' faults. The worse of them being soft inlet valves and this is my # 1 suspect as it fits all known FACTS - however - more investigation is required.

I've got not so fond memories of having to wait 4 weeks on 8 FZR inlet valves from Germany. The early ones were screw and locknut adjustment so it wasn't a big job to adjust the valves every 4000Km (the clearances reduced every time).

Paul in NZ
17th May 2007, 15:30
I've got not so fond memories of having to wait 4 weeks on 8 FZR inlet valves from Germany. The early ones were screw and locknut adjustment so it wasn't a big job to adjust the valves every 4000Km (the clearances reduced every time).

Bloody hell! I'd be waiting for the ends to fall off!

crashe
17th May 2007, 15:56
Paul - Yamaha dealer in West Auckland. Adam and Wendy are the owners.
Lewis or Nathan are in the parts section.

Henderson Motorcycles Ltd
6 View Rd
Henderson
Ph: (09) 838 5899
Fax: (09) 838 5139

email: adam@hendersonmotorcycles.co.nz

All the very best in getting this bike back on the road.
How about a few pic's showing your progress.

Paul in NZ
17th May 2007, 17:42
Hi Paul.

This may help:

http://www.commline.com/FZR/400/MANUAL/Service_Manual-corrected/

Thanks - I downloaded a yank manual - not 'quite' the same but close enough.

Henderson Motorcycles Ltd
6 View Rd
Henderson
Ph: (09) 838 5899
Fax: (09) 838 5139

email: adam@hendersonmotorcycles.co.nz

All the very best in getting this bike back on the road.
How about a few pic's showing your progress.

Thanks - thats grand - I take it you have had a good experience with them?

Photo's? Good idea!

Cheers

crashe
17th May 2007, 17:51
Thanks - thats grand - I take it you have had a good experience with them?

Photo's? Good idea!

Cheers

Yep I got a free service out of them...... but that's another story.

Actually the whole crew there are great, very helpful and friendly.
Brought a few things throu them for the bike, parts either come in either from Mt Wellington, aussie or Japan...... mostly from NZ or aussie.

NZ or aussie parts are there within a day or two.

They were great when they sent the wheels away to be re-spoked and trued up after my accident. All done within 2 days.

What helps I have found, is if you can give the exact model, year and numbers etc on/of the bike as that helps them look it up on their comp. Plus if you can describe the part as well.

Mind you they know my bike now so know which one to look for when getting parts.

Paul in NZ
18th May 2007, 09:50
Is a 1988 FZR400. It does not run - has been at a well known Wellington bike shop where they determined via a leakdown test that pots 1 and 4 are non functional. Extensive prior history of poor reliability / reluctant starting etc etc

The pictures flatter the bike cosmetically. Look carefully and the fairing lowers are just reattached to get them out of the way. The top fairing has been repaired more than once and is missing a decal and mirror (in the box) and the screen is cracked and has a bit boken off one end. Fuel tap is snapped off and various connections like breathers etc are either missing or damaged.

Paint will polish up OK but it's never going to be a concours winner. Grips / foot rests show more than whats on the Odometer and it's been a while since the motors exterior saw a clean. - Misc steel brackets and subframes all have rust coming through and look their years.

The bike was delivered with the radiator off, cam cover loose, l/h engine cover removed and sparkplugs out. In my opinion - very poor workshop practise and it ensures the head is coming off as their is a lot of debris around the plug holes.

The plugs are very black and look like the bikes been running rich.

In short - its a 20 year old bike with an unreliable past thats covered in the unique grime bikes get when not being used. Bits of it are in good nick and other bikes are destined for the bin. The aim is to produce a nice, fun bike that runs well and is relatively reliable and all on a tight budget.

I will report here the work done - most costs and give thanks to the kind KB'rs who have helped.

Sam I Am
19th May 2007, 02:08
looks quite tidy compaired to my old Fizzer .

adam@hendersonmotorcycles is realy helpfull so is every one else there

i think i have the manual on my HD if you need another copy ? and i think the parts fish too ?? not so sure anymore

best of luck

sam

Paul in NZ
19th May 2007, 09:53
looks quite tidy compaired to my old Fizzer .

adam@hendersonmotorcycles is realy helpfull so is every one else there

i think i have the manual on my HD if you need another copy ? and i think the parts fish too ?? not so sure anymore

best of luck

sam

If its the one from the USA site - got it thanks. I'll print it off and bind it and get started this weekend. The bike should clean up nicely.

Paul in NZ
20th May 2007, 22:10
Ok - I was feeling a little better today (had this bloody awful cold everyone has had) so we went out and enjoyed ourselves! Then I came home and played with the FZR until I got bored with getting grubby and went inside..

I took a few pictures you might all be interested in. I'll keep posting em if you are keen or not if you don't like... :innocent:

Anyway - as you can see - It is an EXUP and no - the valve does NOT work and indeed does not look like it has worked for some time. The cables are broken off - no idea if the servo is a goer or not but we need 2 new cables for sure!

The airbox was wobbling about and nothing much was very tight anywhere. Breather tubes were not connected and how did that big dent get on top of the tank and yet the outer tank cover does NOT have a dent... hmm - very strange...

Drained the oil and had a squizz at the filter - WTF is with this thing? The spring that should be behind the filter isnt? Its in the bottom of the housing? Filter cant have been doing much but at least there is no metal bits there or in the oil. Thats a good sign.

So the exhaust is off the bike, oil is drained and all the bits are bagged and labeled.

Cheers

Sam I Am
21st May 2007, 00:14
re these are not connected !!! the big one in the middle conects to the bottom of the airbox and possable so does the other one ( cant quite rember)
as for the airbox loose its a total bastard to get the boots to fit and stay when the rubber is a little old and hard

Paul in NZ
21st May 2007, 08:35
re these are not connected !!! the big one in the middle conects to the bottom of the airbox and possable so does the other one ( cant quite rember)
as for the airbox loose its a total bastard to get the boots to fit and stay when the rubber is a little old and hard

Thanks for that - I can see where the hoses are supposed to terminate but everything was loose as. Not sure how crucial 100% sealing of the airbox is but it will be better than what it had.

Cheers

steved
21st May 2007, 09:13
Will a correctly working EXUP valve help with the bad starting?

Paul in NZ
21st May 2007, 09:18
Will a correctly working EXUP valve help with the bad starting?

Good question. I doubt it but I could not see where the valve was stopped. I suspect the hard starting is more down to the suspected poor valve sealing and resultant low compression in 1 and 4.

The next job is to hoik off the carbs and check em out as I've never seen such a black and choked up exhust port. bleaugh!

Cheers

James Deuce
21st May 2007, 09:19
The bad starting will be the inlet valves (what probably look like shrooms) on 1 & 4. The exup not working will make it run like a non-powervalved two stroke.

Str8 Jacket
22nd May 2007, 11:29
The bad starting will be the inlet valves (what probably look like shrooms) on 1 & 4. The exup not working will make it run like a non-powervalved two stroke.

Yes!!! I used to tell everyone that it ran a bit like a "wannabe" 2 stroke. No one could ever explain why and I dont think anyone believed me!.... That makes sense, thanks!

Hope things are going OKish Paul. Im glad to be rid of it but would be stoked for you if you got it running (even semi-OKish) Im also glad to note that I wasnt just "imagining" the problems I had with it. I guess I should be glad that it ran as long as it did!

Paul in NZ
22nd May 2007, 12:28
Yes!!! I used to tell everyone that it ran a bit like a "wannabe" 2 stroke. No one could ever explain why and I dont think anyone believed me!.... That makes sense, thanks!

Hope things are going OKish Paul. Im glad to be rid of it but would be stoked for you if you got it running (even semi-OKish) Im also glad to note that I wasnt just "imagining" the problems I had with it. I guess I should be glad that it ran as long as it did!

Mate - I'm amazed it ran at all!

I'm only posting problems when I know for sure what they are - there appear to be multiple issues with the bike and I'm amazed the bike shops could not help with what seems to be simple diagnosis. By way of example - I don't know why it's done it but - I've never seen such clagged up exhaust ports on an engine - it's like the choke was full on or something? Its running rich as anything - Can't be normal.

I'd be done with it except for this pesky cold that i can't shake - too tired at the end of the day to be bothered.

These layers of issues build up over time and i cannot possibly determined when they happened or why - I'm just going to try and fix it.

You fancy a ride when it's done? :innocent:

Cheers

imdying
22nd May 2007, 13:41
Cables are nice an easy to make mate, do you have the olds ones? Even just the outers? The reason I ask is the the outers are a piece of cake to make, but you really need the adjusters that secure the outers to the brackets, as these pieces can be difficult to obtain.

Str8 Jacket
22nd May 2007, 17:31
Mate - I'm amazed it ran at all!

I'm only posting problems when I know for sure what they are - there appear to be multiple issues with the bike and I'm amazed the bike shops could not help with what seems to be simple diagnosis. By way of example - I don't know why it's done it but - I've never seen such clagged up exhaust ports on an engine - it's like the choke was full on or something? Its running rich as anything - Can't be normal.

It used to rev pretty high when I had the choke on. When it ran it seemed OK, until easter Fri when it was idling at 4000 revs. It always wreaked of petrol fumes...

Looks like I might be getting an A100 as a loaner for a while soon so i'll be quite happy riding the ring-a-ding thanks! ::D:

Colapop
22nd May 2007, 17:46
Cables are nice an easy to make mate, do you have the olds ones? Even just the outers? The reason I ask is the the outers are a piece of cake to make, but you really need the adjusters that secure the outers to the brackets, as these pieces can be difficult to obtain.
I think Manawatu Motorcycles either makes cable or has a good range of them and half the price of what I could get down here. $65 including delivery (to Wgtn) at a shop down here and $28 including delivery to home from up there..!

Paul in NZ
22nd May 2007, 21:57
I think Manawatu Motorcycles either makes cable or has a good range of them and half the price of what I could get down here. $65 including delivery (to Wgtn) at a shop down here and $28 including delivery to home from up there..!

Guys - seriously thanks but I'm more than capable of repairing a cable but these are a bit rooted and first choice is new. The heat and dirt have not done em any favours so I'll price a replacement. if it's too much - out comes the soldering kit. I wonder why they were not protected better?

Cheers

Colapop
22nd May 2007, 22:25
We're just concerned for you Paul... You've been sick lately and you know we worry...

Paul in NZ
23rd May 2007, 08:50
We're just concerned for you Paul... You've been sick lately and you know we worry...

I have been too - its not funny but really I was considering a new job as a Blues singer - had the real whiskey voice for 3 weeks or more. A day off would be nice but I'm a bit busy at the moment.... (tell you more later)

Anyway - I'm not any less busy now but I am feeling better

scracha
23rd May 2007, 16:29
Thread hijack here but I've got a $hitload of fizzy 400 road gear off the racebike. Clocks, indicators & plastics. Can't ever see it going back on the road so I was gonna stick it on retardme when I get a chance.

Paul in NZ
23rd May 2007, 17:12
Thread hijack here but I've got a $hitload of fizzy 400 road gear off the racebike. Clocks, indicators & plastics. Can't ever see it going back on the road so I was gonna stick it on retardme when I get a chance.

What year and what colour? I need a solid top fairing and blade.

scracha
25th May 2007, 15:58
Mine's an 87 (so I've been told).

I'm after handlebars and brake calipers (preferably 4 potters from a later model).

Seem to have
2 wiring looms,
set of clocks (84,000Km)
Spare temp guage.
Twin headlights.
Sidestand.
Water pump.
2 digital ignitions
front and rear indicators
pillion pad
seat
carbs (probably keep them unless someone is desperate)
RH switchgear
spare turn/oil/neutral lights
original end can (might be keeping this)
another end can (exhaust)
A red tank cover
A blue tank cover (on the bike, I'm keeping one of the tank covers)
Blue tail piece
All of the original fairing (I think) in various colours. Some with cracks.
Screen
An extra top fairing / light surround. One is black, one is white.

I fuggin hate Tardme and as I got the bike for a very nice price from Team Cudby I'd rather sell the bits to other KB'ers and racers.

Piccies of the bits will be on my blog at www.piakocomputers.co.nz (http://www.piakocomputers.co.nz) before the end of the evening.

I'll be listing the CBR400 (1989) road gear soon as well (I'm always after spare handlebars for that too). I'm wanting to spend the cash on new rubber and other go faster bits (like rider training so I don't crash again .... lol):innocent:

Also, I'm after some help from spanner monkeys/pit bitches as my fizzy runs like $hit. Many beer tokens, bike parts and computer thingies are offered in payment as I've got 2 left thumbs.

ZeroIndex
25th May 2007, 19:25

I'm after handlebars and brake calipers (preferably 4 potters from a later model).

Seem to have
2 wiring looms,
set of clocks (84,000Km)
Spare temp guage.
Twin headlights.
Sidestand.
Water pump.
2 digital ignitions
pillion pad
seat
RH switchgear
A red tank cover
Blue tail piece
Screen

I fuggin hate Tardme and as I got the bike for a very nice price from Team Cudby I'd rather sell the bits to other KB'ers and racers.

Piccies of the bits will be on my blog at www.piakocomputers.co.nz (http://www.piakocomputers.co.nz) before the end of the evening.

I'll be listing the CBR400 (1989) road gear soon as well (I'm always after spare handlebars for that too). I'm wanting to spend the cash on new rubber and other go faster bits (like rider training so I don't crash again .... lol):innocent:

Also, I'm after some help from spanner monkeys/pit bitches as my fizzy runs like $hit. Many beer tokens, bike parts and computer thingies are offered in payment as I've got 2 left thumbs.

Don't suppose a FZR400 pillion seat thingy would fit on my FZR400? (Mine's the single-seat version)...

scracha
26th May 2007, 16:02
I think yours will be the SP version? No harm in trying to get it fit. Can't see who'd be stupid enough to go pillion on a fizzy 400 tho'

ZeroIndex
26th May 2007, 17:14
I think yours will be the SP version? No harm in trying to get it fit. Can't see who'd be stupid enough to go pillion on a fizzy 400 tho'

Yeah, mine's the SP version... the only reason I was interested in a pillion seat on my little fzr400 is then I can take chicks on my bike... might just wait until I get a bigger bike...

Colapop
26th May 2007, 17:30
Or til you find a chick willing to get on your bike...

ZeroIndex
26th May 2007, 18:12
Or til you find a chick willing to get on your bike...

hahaha, had 2 last night that wanted to, but had to get one of my mates to take them for a spin...

Colapop
26th May 2007, 18:39
Yeah and I had 6... but I was asleep too...

Paul in NZ
28th May 2007, 22:15
Right - now the classic show is done gorn and gorn.... lets get back to business IF the people trying to sell munt will permit it?

OK - Nodrog is a bloody decent Biker Guy and a credit to biker types everywhere! He has given me a whole PILE of munt that includes a complete FZR400 donk (amongst other things). He even strapped it to a pallet and dropped it at the freight company - fark me - he has restored my faith in bikers!!! I suspect it's slightly earlier but already I'm eyeing up a pile of useful bits that are a freakin god send. Thank You! Hope you enjoyed the Woodstocks...

Garry H continues to be another decent Biker Guy as he not only picked up the munt on a pallet but drove it to my place and I had to litterally force him to take a few measley $$ for gas! Thanks Mate - I owes ya one!

Folks - seriously - this is what the biker community is supposed to be about. Doing each other a good turn if you can. To say i'm pretty stoked would be an understatement! THANKS!

Onwards

One problem with munt is it builds up in drifts and soon useful things like the car that you depend upon to get you and daughters into town in the early am gets left out in the very very cold so tonights job was to take the pile to bits, stack it in the corners and continue with dismembering the FZR from Hell'n

Good practise is to label the many connections as you disconnect em! Especially if you have never dismantelled a jap 4 before... (ho ho)

Enjoy!

Oh - for those of you that wonder - what IS a flat slide - there is a picture.

4 little gems of carbs! There is some cool as shit on this wee bike!

Paul in NZ
28th May 2007, 22:19
More Piccies - fuel

Paul in NZ
28th May 2007, 22:21
Oh - for those that care - I hit 5000 posts in that flurry...

crashe
28th May 2007, 22:25
Oh - for those that care - I hit 5000 posts in that flurry...

Congratulations on the 5,000th post.

Well done on taking heaps of pics of all you are doing to this bike.

Hope you get it all going again real soon.

scracha
29th May 2007, 18:39
Right - now the classic show is done gorn and gorn.... lets get back to business IF the people trying to sell munt will permit it?

Moanin faced cunt. I was gonna charge beer tokens.

Paul in NZ
29th May 2007, 19:29
Moanin faced cunt. I was gonna charge beer tokens.

Sorry - Perhaps I've accidentally disconnected my funny bone today - are you serious or taking the piss?

Paul in NZ
30th May 2007, 08:26
Bump? Still curious??

scracha
30th May 2007, 08:49
Sorry - Perhaps I've accidentally disconnected my funny bone today - are you serious or taking the piss?

Serious, as long as I don't find them on Tardme a couple of weeks later.

Paul in NZ
30th May 2007, 12:14
Serious, as long as I don't find them on Tardme a couple of weeks later.

Sorry - I'm missing something here (I must have my thick pants on today) old chap... Are you offering me parts or selling them generally?? I'm old and I'm afraid - easily confused.... ask anyone.. :innocent:

Paul in NZ
30th May 2007, 21:37
OK - engines ready to drop out.....

Fark - funny the things you find eh? A melted end of a mechanical pencil under the carbs and half a hundred weight of rocks and assorted road munt everywhere. Gets flicked around summat wicked.

Carb rubbers were not seated correctly and the choke slide guides were not in their recievers - 1 is missing.

All cables are OK but a tad dry.

Front spocket is kinda OK but might whack in a new one after I clean it up in there (bleugh)

merv
30th May 2007, 21:44
You getting there then mate?

She'll be a minter at next year's classic show then?

Str8 Jacket
30th May 2007, 22:14
Front spocket is kinda OK but might whack in a new one after I clean it up in there (bleugh)

Fuck, that was one of the things I had to replace immeadiately on the bike when I got it! Its done about 7000 k's...

xwhatsit
30th May 2007, 22:22
OK - engines ready to drop out.....

Fark - funny the things you find eh? A melted end of a mechanical pencil under the carbs and half a hundred weight of rocks and assorted road munt everywhere. Gets flicked around summat wicked.

Carb rubbers were not seated correctly and the choke slide guides were not in their recievers - 1 is missing.

All cables are OK but a tad dry.

Lol! Very funny. Fair few rocks and assorted gravel dropped out when I dropped the engine out of my bike, no mechanical pencils, but there was a piece of one of those tickets they stick on your luggage at the airport, I think.

Paul in NZ
31st May 2007, 09:14
Fuck, that was one of the things I had to replace immeadiately on the bike when I got it! Its done about 7000 k's...

Sorry - it was late when I posted that.....

Replaced 7,000km ago? I'll take another look but frankly it's hard to tell because there is a lifetime of grease and crud in there and a lot of impact rust. If it was replaced I'd have thought a smear of lithium grease would have been appropriate but then again - I don't charge myself by the hour or have customers to satisfy.

The clutch operation mechanisim is in there as well and it was dry, rusty and had a bunch of rocks around it. As a non expert I'd guess there was waaaay more than 7000km of crud behind the cover.

Not that it matters - it will all get a good clean and lube this weekend and once the engine is out the real investigation will begin!

Paul N

ps - the FZR chappies tell me these things are often difficult to start and the choke cct is shonky.

Paul in NZ
31st May 2007, 09:16
Lol! Very funny. Fair few rocks and assorted gravel dropped out when I dropped the engine out of my bike, no mechanical pencils, but there was a piece of one of those tickets they stick on your luggage at the airport, I think.

I've found odder things - dead animals, bits of birds (all nicely toasted).

Paul in NZ
31st May 2007, 09:27
You getting there then mate?

She'll be a minter at next year's classic show then?

I admit that I'm having to strongly resist the temptation to polish and paint etc... This is a functional rebuild on a tight budget Merv - cosmetics are acceptable so it's a wash etc.

Signs are encouraging thus far - looks like it will come out a nice bike for someone....:innocent:

steved
31st May 2007, 11:08
Signs are encouraging thus far - looks like it will come out a nice bike for someone....:innocent:
After all this work and love, you won't be keeping it for yourself?

Paul in NZ
31st May 2007, 11:15
After all this work and love, you won't be keeping it for yourself?

Good point! I get far too involved in these 'projects' but remember I've never seen this bike run and never ridden it so not much emotional attachment thus far. The reason for taking the project on was quite specific and my intention is to stay true to that aim.

In the main, I hope this is a learning exercise for myself (and others if they want) because I'm far too mired in my 'comfortable' past and mr brain needs the exercise. Thus far I've learnt a bit, been touched by the help I've had from a couple of members and been reassured the world still has decent people willing to help out where they can with little in it for them.

Positive outcomes all ready and more to come!

Paul N

Paul in NZ
2nd June 2007, 12:04
Well - more progress today despite feeling slightly less than spectacular... D'oh! I'd forgotten about hangovers...

Working without a stand I found it easier to lift the bike up and support it on a pile of blocks of wood. Remove the sub frames - bolts etc and then lift the bike off the engine.

Anyway - engines on the floor and a quick check shows the valve clearances are OK so it's either a burnt / mushroomed valve or a piston. Next job is to CLEAN everything up and rip the head off...

Colapop
2nd June 2007, 12:10
Drink plenty of water...

Paul in NZ
2nd June 2007, 12:34
Drink plenty of water...

You are a font of knowledge Col :innocent:

Colapop
2nd June 2007, 17:15
Ever here to help sir.

So what did you get done today??

crashe
2nd June 2007, 17:51
Paul - good to see progress is being made......

You will have her up and running quick smart at this rate. :yes: :yes: :yes:

Paul in NZ
2nd June 2007, 18:48
Ever here to help sir.

So what did you get done today??

Gave the chassis a good wash and degrease - motor tomorrow but I didn't have too much time - I went for a spin on the Triumph to visit a mate, came back over the hill, dodged all the rain and generally had a ball...

Currently reading the manual and going oooohhhh!

scracha
2nd June 2007, 20:41
Good point! I get far too involved in these 'projects' but remember I've never seen this bike run and never ridden it so not much emotional attachment thus far. The reason for taking the project on was quite specific and my intention is to stay true to that aim.

You can get emotionally attached to mine if you like...it's running like $hit.

Paul in NZ
2nd June 2007, 21:48
You can get emotionally attached to mine if you like...it's running like $hit.

Well - at the end of this I will (hopefully) be able to help ya!

Dodgyiti
4th June 2007, 11:47

Yeah, top people. And even though I never seem to have a Yamaha, they get whatever I need- including just last week an imperial fine thread master cyl banjo switch to suit a Lockheed on my metric Guzzi. 2 days and $20 later.
They seem to have a lesser mark up as well and I generally don't bother ringing around anymore.

By the way- What the hell Paul??? If you got time to confabulate with this thing, come up here and sort this Mk2 for me will ya? I might even feed you!

Nothing but more grey hairs and grief can come of this...

Edit: If you need me to be the middle man in the Henderson Mc parts thing -let me know. I go past there every day, and can send your goodies to you (or your work) through my work for nix.

ZeroIndex
4th June 2007, 12:09

Seem to have
2 wiring looms,
set of clocks (84,000Km)
Spare temp guage.
Twin headlights.
Sidestand.
Water pump.
2 digital ignitions
pillion pad
seat
RH switchgear
A red tank cover
Blue tail piece
Screen

Do you by any chance have the mirrors that attach to the fairings?

scracha
4th June 2007, 15:31
Naw, no mirrors.

Paul in NZ
4th June 2007, 18:24
Well - a long weekend usually means lots of time to fiddle with bikes!! Sadly there are a lot of other jobs to do and I didn't get as much done as I wanted.

Anyway - the first job (as you know) was drop the engine which was pretty easy. Supported the sump on some blocks (rear wheel in the air), undid everything and lifted the bike off the engine! (extra hands required here)

Scrubbed the chassis up (easy peasy) but the engine - fark! I threw every chemical I could at it and still be able to grow stuff in the neighbourhood as well as a pressure washer and it's still grubby! Jesus!

It IS much cleaner though.

Paul in NZ
4th June 2007, 18:28
I strapped the donk to me trusty workmate chinese rip off copy and got ready! Cleared the bench, opened the manual, broke out the rubber gloves, found some bluegrass music and ripped into it!

Str8 Jacket
4th June 2007, 18:31
I strapped the donk to me trusty workmate chinese rip off copy and got ready! Cleared the bench, opened the manual, broke out the rubber gloves, found some bluegrass music and ripped into it!

Hey Paul, keep working at it! Sounds like ya just might get it going..... one day! :p

Paul in NZ
4th June 2007, 18:34
Rip off the cam cover

Rip off the cam chain tensioner and the oil feed to the head!

Paul in NZ
4th June 2007, 18:46
Rip off the cam cover

Rip off the cam chain tensioner and the oil feed to the head!

Paul in NZ
4th June 2007, 18:50
The top and front cam chain guides were next.

MAKE sure you tie up the cam chain - you would feel a real twat if it fell into the sump with the cams out!!!!

Make notes - the saddles that hold the cams down are numbered and have arrows indicating which way they face!

With e cams out - it's off to Supercheap for a 6mm hex socked because my allen key aint gunna do the job!

Paul in NZ
4th June 2007, 18:56
There are only a few nuts holding the head on BUT stick a rag into the cam chain tunnel to stop stuff falling into the engine - not much point in cleaning the poxy thing if you drop something metallic in there! Be careful, the nuts have washers!!!!

Then it's - off with her head and... FFS was this bike run on coal? What a lot of GRUNGE in the combustion chambers. Yucky!

Paul in NZ
4th June 2007, 19:05
Now remember that this bike had failed a leak down test on 1 and 4 but my compression tested wont fit the stupid small plug holes!!

So I did some other testing which is basically to see if the valves are sealing. These bikes have a reputation for soft inlet valves according to the yanks..

This highly scientific test involves me pouring kero into the inlet port of each cylinder and seeing if any came through the valves....

Nope.....

However, when i tried the exhaust ports.... Fark! No2 was the only one that was remotely kero proof! How did this bike even RUN?

Oh well....

Now - Heres wher you can help me....

Do I do the head myself? The valves look sound so maybe just a grind, seat cut?

Should I clean up the pistons??? Gleep!

Should I lift the block and do the rings - hone the bore?

Cheers

ps - I need someone to weld up an end cover, thin alloy?

- I need someone to weld up a mild steel engine bar?

pps - ANY HINTS TIPS or helpful COMMENTS please!!!!!!!

White trash
4th June 2007, 19:21
Sounds like you're having fun with it Paul, and that's the main thing. I bet you're positively pulling your hair out with these confangled OHC things. Two of them! And sixteen valves!!??!! WTF?

My advice to you mate, is sell it. Buy either a Suzuki (which never break down) or some Italian, air-cooled v-twin with cylinders stickin out the sides of some description.

Paul in NZ
4th June 2007, 19:29
Sounds like you're having fun with it Paul, and that's the main thing. I bet you're positively pulling your hair out with these confangled OHC things. Two of them! And sixteen valves!!??!! WTF?

My advice to you mate, is sell it. Buy either a Suzuki (which never break down) or some Italian, air-cooled v-twin with cylinders stickin out the sides of some description.

Ironically - I went into Paraparaumu to buy a set of hex sockets (6mm reqd) to remove the head and.... All they had was imperial! Gah!

Truthfully - It's a bit of a stretch for me and I'm definately fumbling..

Yes - its definately to be sold on but I think people might find the process interesting (I am) and at least folks will know what they are getting with it... (no not having a go at anyone)

Cheers

riffer
4th June 2007, 20:32
Hey Paul, do you need some Hex Key sockets, or a Hex Key Spanner?

If your problem is the Allen key is bending, then what I suggest is to cut the angled bit of the hex key off with an angle grinder, and put the straight bit into a drill. Use a slow speed to get the bolt out.

Or a T-handle wrench might do it too...

Paul in NZ
4th June 2007, 20:55
Thanks Simon

I resisted the temptation to bodge this. If you look where the head nuts are - it's right under the cam saddles so not a good place to scratch with an L shaped allen key.

Vicki was headed to Porrirua to buy a zip to repair the leaf blower bag (what a bloody woman mate) and I found that Repco Porrirua had a set of metric hex attachments to suit the 3/8 drive socket set.

Fitted perfectly and got the head off with no damage! Cost $45 for the set but they fit the Guzzi etc and you have them forever.

Cheers

xwhatsit
5th June 2007, 02:00
Valve grinding paste is cheap, might as well give it a go and see if it improves results with the kero test.

How well do you reckon the piston is sealing? Rings can't be too expensive for that, if you do them and hone the bore it'd probably go like a scalded cat. The piston/bore service limits must be written in the service manual somewhere.

I was informed when doing my single to just worry about cleaning the piston crown, unless you're pulling off the barrel anyway. Emery/emory paper/cloth/omgwtfbbq did the job well. It's a mucky bastard; is it just from running rich or has it been burning oil too?

Except you probably already know this, owning a Triumph and all.

Paul in NZ
5th June 2007, 08:21
Valve grinding paste is cheap, might as well give it a go and see if it improves results with the kero test.

Thats a good point but the exhaust ports are well clagged up too... I'll see if I can find an engine reconditioner that will let me chuck it into their caustic bath to clean it all out.

How well do you reckon the piston is sealing? Rings can't be too expensive for that, if you do them and hone the bore it'd probably go like a scalded cat. The piston/bore service limits must be written in the service manual somewhere.

I was informed when doing my single to just worry about cleaning the piston crown, unless you're pulling off the barrel anyway. Emery/emory paper/cloth/omgwtfbbq did the job well. It's a mucky bastard; is it just from running rich or has it been burning oil too?.

Yup! Thats what I'm concerned about. Its running rough 'cos the valves are not sealing but poor piston ring sealing could contribute. If the rings are not poisenously dear I think I'll pull the block and renew them. The pistons seem really tight in the bore with no slop but there is quite a carbon lip up top.

Except you probably already know this, owning a Triumph and all.

Cheeky git! :shit:

Actually - it's much of a muchness, engines is engines but there are a lot less spanners needed on the yamahahaha and in predictable sizes as well! Quite liking it.

Cheers

ZeroIndex
5th June 2007, 08:30
Cheeky git! :shit:

Actually - it's much of a muchness, engines is engines but there are a lot less spanners needed on the yamahahaha and in predictable sizes as well! Quite liking it.

Cheers

Although on Yamaha's FZR's there is quite a bit of spanner-work needed for some simple maintenance... like removing the ENTIRE exhaust system for an oil change :angry:

Fatjim
5th June 2007, 08:34
Mate, i can't help but think if you'd done just before and after pictures the thing would be done by now. :dodge:

I'm starting get jealous, and the missus, if she new, would be starting to get nervous.

Paul in NZ
5th June 2007, 08:36
Although on Yamaha's FZR's there is quite a bit of spanner-work needed for some simple maintenance... like removing the ENTIRE exhaust system for an oil change :angry:

Is that just the EXUP ones - the other non EXUP system (rusty in the collector) seems to go to one side but yes - seems a bit of a fag for a filter change!

Paul in NZ
5th June 2007, 08:39
Mate, i can't help but think if you'd done just before and after pictures the thing would be done by now. :dodge:

I'm starting get jealous, and the missus, if she new, would be starting to get nervous.

Well - the taking it to bits part is easy - it's the re-assembly thats tricky! The pictures help with all the connections etc and it's a way of making notes. Maybe my memory aint so flash anymore but I usually fill a notebook as I go along - speeds up the reassembly!

Don't be jealous or nervous - Trademe is full of projects... :innocent:

ZeroIndex
5th June 2007, 08:40
Is that just the EXUP ones - the other non EXUP system (rusty in the collector) seems to go to one side but yes - seems a bit of a fag for a filter change!

'87 FZR400 SP model... same as my mate's '89 FZR250 (Exup too)

skelstar
5th June 2007, 10:41
Am having a good time watching this Paul....keep going man!

Paul in NZ
5th June 2007, 13:50
OK - just back from the yamaHAMER the customer shop.... Blurdy friendy lot - even offered me a stool to sit on before they priced up my request....

GACK!

I could dump $2K of 'bits' into this thing easy peasey without even touching the bottom end! Fark! Anyone know a cheap online source?

Paul N

(Stripping the second engine this week for useful parts and will NEVER moan about the cost of Moto Guzzi or old Triumph parts every again!!!)

Paul in NZ
5th June 2007, 17:54
Given the shocking price of spares (ie more than the bike is worth here) I've been thinking that I'll have to be a bit cunning.... So I have devised a cunning plan..

The engine failed a dealer leak down test and my home one. Valves are all I can test so the rings 'might' be shot as well BUT when the bike was running it was using oil but not smoking...

What I could do is clean and build up the best head I can. Clean up the seats, lap in the valves etc and if that passes the kero down the inlet / ex port test, re assemble the engine using a new head gasket.

Since I don't have any shims I'll take the whole lot to the dealer (engines on the bench) and get him to set the valve clearances and repeat the leak down test. If it fails - it's probably got shot rings but it's only an hours work to lift the head / block and check em out...

Wadda you think chaps? Madness or cunning?

MSTRS
5th June 2007, 17:59
No Paul. It's being sensible. Only do what you have to. Otherwise, where does it end?

Paul in NZ
5th June 2007, 18:56
No Paul. It's being sensible. Only do what you have to. Otherwise, where does it end?

Bankruptcy according to yamahammer

riffer
5th June 2007, 19:05
Wadda you think chaps? Madness or cunning?

Put a tail on it and call it a weasel mate.

Although - what happened to that offer of another motor?

I can't help thinking that from two motors one good one may come forth...

Paul in NZ
5th June 2007, 19:12
Put a tail on it and call it a weasel mate.

Although - what happened to that offer of another motor?

I can't help thinking that from two motors one good one may come forth...

Yes - I have that (Thanks again mate) and thats what will happen to make 1 good head - then we move from there... Quite exciting really!

Sketchy_Racer
5th June 2007, 20:23
If you're that far into the motor, I really would pull the barrels off and check the Pistons and rings.

You're an inspiration mate.

If there is any machining (lathe, or milling work, or any enginnering work really) Let me know without hessitating. I'd love to be able to help out.

Cheers,

Glen

(aka - RG100!!)

Paul in NZ
5th June 2007, 20:39
If you're that far into the motor, I really would pull the barrels off and check the Pistons and rings.

You're an inspiration mate.

If there is any machining (lathe, or milling work, or any enginnering work really) Let me know without hessitating. I'd love to be able to help out.

Cheers,

Glen

(aka - RG100!!)

Erm - I admit to being seriously tempted but at $166 a set for rings (4 sets required) its enough to seriously turn me off Glen! I'm not being cheap but once I lift the barrels - it's a whole leap in expense!

If I can get a good head together and it's reasonable ($500 to $600 is reasonable considering the extra price of gaskets) I'll probably do the barrels anyway (can't help myself)

Actually - a PM sent!

Cheers

Paul in NZ
6th June 2007, 08:27
Right you lot - I need some welding help.

1 easy mild steel jobbie - 1 not so easy thin alloy engine cover jobbie...

Volunteers or recomendations please.

xwhatsit
6th June 2007, 10:40
Erm - I admit to being seriously tempted but at $166 a set for rings (4 sets required) its enough to seriously turn me off Glen! I'm not being cheap but once I lift the barrels - it's a whole leap in expense!

If I can get a good head together and it's reasonable ($500 to $600 is reasonable considering the extra price of gaskets) I'll probably do the barrels anyway (can't help myself)

Actually - a PM sent!

Cheers

F@$%! $166 for rings? That's more than one of my pistons! And the bloody cylinders are about a third of the size!

If you lift the barrel, there's no compulsion to put new rings in. If they don't look too bad then just put the barrel back on -- don't even hone the bore, the rings will just rotate to where they were before, and everything will be as it was before. Although, if you're not going to change anything, there's not much point in lifting the barrel I suppose.

That's a crazy stupid price. If only the thing was a Honda -- not being funny, Econohonda would get you rings for about a fifth of that price. I had a brief look on eBay, but nothing to be found.

Hopefully the oil-using is just the head/valves so it all clears up.

Jeaves
6th June 2007, 11:09
Pm sent re parts

Paul in NZ
6th June 2007, 11:20
Pm sent re parts

Thanks mate - I sent a list of the 'needed regardless' stuff...

Ronin
6th June 2007, 18:17
I'm going to show my mechanical ignorance here. If the rings were shot it would have been a blue grey smoke? I know following Hel's 'most' of the way to Castle there was a haze of dark smoke when it was hard on the gas. Other than that it seemed fine.

Paul in NZ
6th June 2007, 19:27
I'm going to show my mechanical ignorance here. If the rings were shot it would have been a blue grey smoke? I know following Hel's 'most' of the way to Castle there was a haze of dark smoke when it was hard on the gas. Other than that it seemed fine.

Typically - that would be the case but some vehicles can solider on fer ages with sad old rings and dodgy bores. Age is part of the problem - rings loose their tension over time so freshening them up aint a bad idea along with a quick hone to remove da crud and deglaze the bores.

The dark smoke is it running richer than Michael Faye and I still have not got to that - yet!

FROSTY
7th June 2007, 12:27
Paul--theres a fantastic product for fixing low pressure alloy.
It looks like old fashioned stick solder and it melts at lower temps than alloy --lots of really good reasons for using the stuff--ie it doesnt get the thin alloy hot enough to warp it -

imdying
7th June 2007, 12:48
Paul--theres a fantastic product for fixing low pressure alloy.
It looks like old fashioned stick solder and it melts at lower temps than alloy --lots of really good reasons for using the stuff--ie it doesnt get the thin alloy hot enough to warp it -

Durafix. It does kick butt :yes:

Paul in NZ
7th June 2007, 13:10
Durafix. It does kick butt :yes:

Thanks guys - is it used with a torch in a tube or what?

I have to clean the goop out of both the covers I have and assess the damage - worse case a new one aint the end of the world!

Cheers

Paul in NZ
7th June 2007, 13:20
Progress this week....

the time monster has been a prick BUT a few more KB'rs have stepped up to offer me help and I'm bloody grateful to Jeaves and Sketchy_Racer

basically....

Head 1 (the original) is stripped right down and is in at Headmaster for them to assess condition and to dump it into the tank for a good clean up. Chances are a valve grind might do the job but we don't know yet.

The cracked bracket is being welded. After that the 2 subframes and the prop stand will go for a powdercoating quote. I could spray with a rattle can but that does not stand up to later degreasing well and there is a bit of sandblasting required.

A shit load of parts are being checked for pricing! I'm looking at replacing a lot of O rings and stuff like valve seals and carb mount O rings because most of the originals are badly cracked - I hope I've ordered the right ones because the parts book is - 'confusing'....

NEXT

Clean and refurbish the exhaust headers.

Remove the top fairing for repairs

Decide on the head and if it's repairable and under or on budget - lift the barrels for a peak at da rings...

Exciting stuff lads! Will the FZR ever run again? Will Paul ever recover his $$, Will i ever get back my parking space... The tension is killing me...

Storm
7th June 2007, 13:44
Hurry up and tell us, the suspension is doing me in too :bleh:

:D:D:D

merv
7th June 2007, 13:52
Nah mate you're going well. Keep up the good work. If Motu hadn't run out on us he'd be loving this thread. I bet he's sneak peeking anyway while he's living over at ADV.

FROSTY
7th June 2007, 13:58
Paul--Haul the power valve out at the same time --get it soaked at the same time as the head --betcha its gummed up on its pivots

Paul in NZ
7th June 2007, 14:13
Paul--Haul the power valve out at the same time --get it soaked at the same time as the head --betcha its gummed up on its pivots

Stress less

Refer back to the early pictures, the EXUP valve fell out long ago. It was loose and about as unsiezed as it could get. I can't figure why both the cables were snapped off in that case!

Looking at the parts book O have ordered new bush / collar bits as well as cables. Looked like it had been non functional for quite some time!

Paul in NZ
7th June 2007, 14:14
Hurry up and tell us, the suspension is doing me in too :bleh:

:D:D:D

I havn't started on the suspension yet
:innocent:

Paul in NZ
10th June 2007, 19:27
After I came back from Grub and Nasty's the idea was to slip out to the shed and twiddle with the FZR! The only way to get these projects finished is to try and keep em moving by doing a something every week no matter how small!

The best laid plans of mice and Paul in NZ were short cicuited buy a shrill and girlish 'whats up with the toilet?' coming from the toilet.... Well OK someone IN the toilet - not the actual toilet...

Anyway - living below the street level we have a sewage pump and a sump that the pump lives in - if the pump stops pumping - about a week late the toilet stops fushing and I go fishing for the pump - it lives on the end of a chain, a pipe and a cable.... The cct breaker had tripped meaning the pump had jammed so up she came - I'm happy it was a cold day!! (ie not a HOT one)

Phooooaaarrr! PEEEEEEEYOUUUUUU!!!

The offending idem of femail sanitary equiment was removed, this were flushed, washed and hosed and since I was litterally now covered in shit I cleaned the sump up at the street as well... had to be done! (bleugh)

Back to the shed - 2 hours gone.....

Grabbed the end cover and scraped all the knead-it off the cracks. Tapped a few bits straight and removed the paint ready to see if can be repaired! Yurk! Looks GRIM! Check the spare cover - feck - that looks worse!! Oh well - we will see what can be done!

Paul in NZ
10th June 2007, 19:45
OK - having halted progress we popped the carbs up on the bench for a look see. The bikes been running rich so I was keen to see if the flots were OK and the float needle was working. I'll check the float height later but this was really an assess the condition and clean up session.

I started at the top. I wanted to see if the diaphragms that lift the slides and needles were OK. Yup! Amazingly good condition - needles were erm - OKish and all at the same height so it was a good clean and put back together...

Paul in NZ
10th June 2007, 19:48
OK - down to the float chambers....

Only minimal dirt here! Pulled the jets out and blew them through, checked the floats - (looking for cracks) - and the float needles that shut off the fuel when the level is right. (little rubber tipped thingy) Chuckkled a bit because they are nearly identical to the amal ones...

All OK - so put it all back together and cleaned it all up!

Came up OK too - well good enough!!

James Deuce
10th June 2007, 20:23
Nice!

Except for the poo. Well done on avoiding a plumber's bill.

Sidewinder
10th June 2007, 20:28

hey dude my mate has one. i was at Winja's place one day after i binned it, and he said they do and they make a realy good bike because the 400 frame is aulimun and lighter than the 600's stell frame. but i also got told that the fzr400 and bigger fzr's have a problem with wavey disks, leaking fork seals and crap clutchs. hope that helped you in some way.

merv
10th June 2007, 21:40
So no clues in the carbs then so far? So why would it have been running rich? Jet sizes OK? Choke stuck on?

Keep up the good work.

James Deuce
10th June 2007, 22:07
Carbs weren't installed correctly when Paul got it. There is a suspicion that the inlet rubbers weren't sealing/fitted correctly when Hels had it.

xwhatsit
10th June 2007, 22:24
Carbs weren't installed correctly when Paul got it. There is a suspicion that the inlet rubbers weren't sealing/fitted correctly when Hels had it.

<hints id="hah_hints"></hints>Wouldn't that make it run lean? Or would the dodgy inlet track cause the fuel to fall out of vapourisation or something?

Cool photos. I like this thread, I get to feel all the excitement of doing my engine rebuild without the money and stress and bruised fingers :)

Paul, it's OK, everybody knows your shit doesn't stink anyway.

James Deuce
10th June 2007, 22:28
<hints id="hah_hints"></hints>Wouldn't that make it run lean? Or would the dodgy inlet track cause the fuel to fall out of vapourisation or something?

You'd think so, wouldn't you? There are many mysteries in life and this FZR is one of them.

merv
11th June 2007, 08:19
The best part is surely we're going to have a coming out party when it makes its rebuilt debut?

Paul in NZ
11th June 2007, 08:24
To tell you the truth - I don't know what it was running like BUT the evidence indicates it was rich. Thats why, as you mentioned I was keen to look inside the float chambers. Having said that - the exhaust valves on 3 cylinders were not sealing properly so perhaps the 'richness' was plain unburnt fuel being dumped into the exhaust. Certainly, with lower compression the combustion process may not have been working quite as the engineers at Yamaha designed it.

What I'm hoping to do is pretty well base line all the settings and start with an open mind. Ideally I'd like to replace as many inlet rubber bits as I can as leaks there really screw things up.

Getting the EXUP valve to either work or remove it will be a big help I think and I have not looked at the air filter yet (I will be replaced regardless).

Its all fun thus far and I hope entertaining.

Cheers

Paul in NZ
11th June 2007, 08:25
The best part is surely we're going to have a coming out party when it makes its rebuilt debut?

Either that or a funeral pyre Merv - you know - a Viking send off for it...

Paul in NZ
11th June 2007, 08:27
hey dude my mate has one. i was at Winja's place one day after i binned it, and he said they do and they make a realy good bike because the 400 frame is aulimun and lighter than the 600's stell frame. but i also got told that the fzr400 and bigger fzr's have a problem with wavey disks, leaking fork seals and crap clutchs. hope that helped you in some way.

Thanks for the information - looks like there is a bunch of options including a 600 crank into a 400 engine etc etc. Its also expensive because you need to swap the electrics and cooling system as well (make sense). Best option for me is to make what I've got good again - fork seals etc are no worries and discs are discs - they all warp eventually...

Only some 600 engines are suitable - I had a list someplace but - well I'm not going that way (yet) so i lost it...

Paul in NZ
14th June 2007, 14:13
Just a quick update today folks and sorry - no pictures as the fat prick of a photographer was only semi functional last night. Jeeze what a day, John Denver sang 'Some days are diamonds and some days are stone', well yesterday was a boulder buried in a mudslide... bleugh!

Anyway - back to the FZR400

I pulled the barrels off the pistons last night in between dropping things, tripping over things I'd dropped and generally being bad tempered....

Anyway sadly I'm far more used to crappy old 1960's technology so I don't REALLY know if what I'm seeing is good or bad so any advice is welcome...

The VERY good news is the pistons look ok - a couple of scuffs font and back on the thrust faces (normal) but the rings have been sealing and the pistons are not all burnt to buggery and discoloured. The bores look sound with no
scratches but a bit of discolouration from where is sat in Japan before being exported here to NZ.

The pistons are looser on the wrist pins than I'm used too. ie they just slide side to side with no effort. Hmmm! There is no 'rock' in them though - just 'loose' but the reality is that this engine revs twice as hard as the Moto Guzzi or the aged Triumph it sleeps with so I would not want it too tight....

The conrods rock a little on the crankpins. ie, grabbing the rods below the piston I can move the rod side to side (well thats expected I guess) and I seem to be able to rock the piston 2mm side to side and it appears the rod is rocking on the pin. I can't feel any up and down which is very good!

Anyway - slightly 'worried' by the loosness of everything i trucked off down to see the lads at 'Headmaster' with the barrells tucked under me arm...

I explained all my concerns and they gave me the 'there there' look Vicki reserves for when she finds a wounded kitten or a button falls off my shirt and sat me down with a cuppa and a bikkie and told me that was all 'normal' and i must not worry.... They were just working on the head and the good news is that everything should clean up OK, there was just a thick layer of carbon on everything (and I mean THICK!). The valves have all been recut and the seats look OK so it's into the tank with the lot to disolve the carbon!! Wazoo!

The headmaster team will chuck the measuring sticks over the bores but they think (after eyeballing them) that there looks little problem. The bores look good and so we will give it a clean and a hone, new rings, gaskets and I'll reassemble...

Time to order parts.... Git me mah credit card woman.....

Paul N

ps - still don't know there this carbons coming from - it will be interesting to see how rich it is when it's running. I suspect the carbs will be coming off a few times!

Str8 Jacket
14th June 2007, 14:17
I admire your patience Paul! Keep up the good work mate! To be honest I am kinda looking forward to see how its going when your done :yes:

MSTRS
14th June 2007, 14:27
I admire your patience Paul! Keep up the good work mate! To be honest I am kinda looking forward to see how its going when your done :yes:

Gonna use the buyback option?

Str8 Jacket
14th June 2007, 14:32
Gonna use the buyback option?

Hell no! Im saving up for a couple of years to buy a new bike. From the shop. With a warranty and all that. Still it was my first 'real' bike and I invested alot of time and money in it. When it went, it went really well. I suspect (well KNOW really) that its gonna be a neat little bike when Pauls finished and im interested to see how she runs!

MSTRS
14th June 2007, 14:36
Fair enough. Understand that you are gun-shy on this one. At least it'll be well sorted once Paul's finished with it.

Str8 Jacket
14th June 2007, 14:38
Fair enough. Understand that you are gun-shy on this one. At least it'll be well sorted once Paul's finished with it.

Yep. I hope that he can make a bit of a profit on it for all the work he's put in. Maybe you should just keep it yourself Paul? Can just see you riding it now!! :dodge:

Paul in NZ
14th June 2007, 14:46
I'm hoping this will be a nice bike when we have finished with it BUT it is a 1988 model - nearly 20 years old and it's glory days are now gone. I want desperately for Helen to ride it and tell you all how good it runs and what a clever prick I am, but Helen and I agree that this is not the bike for her.

Originally I offered to do this for nix for her because she is a mate but as it turns out she is a sensible (and determined) person making a sound life choice - I support that 100%. The bike will be sold - there is now a fully documented process so whoever buys it will know exactly what I've done and can evaluate its worth. I'll ride it on a few KB rides to shake it down.

My intention is to recover my costs because I'm not a wealthy guy and then a decision will be made on the profits (if any) but the biggest gain to me thus far is the experience in working on it and a few new 'mates' I've made who have helped me, I'm flattered, grateful and been enriched by the whole thing and it would not have happened without KB. So when we slag the mods etc - remember that! The world is full of good bastards and a lot of them are on here!

Cheers

Str8 Jacket
14th June 2007, 14:50
I want desperately for Helen to ride it and tell you all how good it runs and what a clever prick I am, but Helen and I agree that this is not the bike for her.

lol! Dont worry Paul I will gladly take it out for one last ride, if not for you but to satisfy my own curiosity!

Paul in NZ
14th June 2007, 14:56
lol! Dont worry Paul I will gladly take it out for one last ride, if not for you but to satisfy my own curiosity!

Jest you be carefull young missy - Ah been dun 'race tuning' the mirrors an mebee yu all maught jest find her a bit of a handfull now... Ah even purt some additives into the fluffy dice....

Yup! Lets hope it's finished by the next sprints - I might enter you....

Str8 Jacket
14th June 2007, 15:00
Yup! Lets hope it's finished by the next sprints - I might enter you....

Ah ha. So you're putting all this work into the bike only to have it destroyed by 'one last ride'! (j/k) sounds fun, I always wanted to enter the FZR into the sprints but didnt think crashing starting it over the starting line would be very acceptable, lol!

ZeroIndex
14th June 2007, 15:08
::URGENT::
Argh... trying to reinstall the temp gauge on my FZR 400, and can't remember which wires go where... does anyone know or have a diagram

Paul in NZ
14th June 2007, 15:24
::URGENT::
Argh... trying to reinstall the temp gauge on my FZR 400, and can't remember which wires go where... does anyone know or have a diagram

I can take a picture tonight if it's any good?

MSTRS
14th June 2007, 15:35
- I might enter you....

Pssst - your wife doesn't read KB, does she?:shit:

Paul in NZ
14th June 2007, 17:21
Pssst - your wife doesn't read KB, does she?:shit:

Does YOUR wife know you think like that? :innocent:

yungatart
14th June 2007, 17:32
I certainly do....(it's part of his charm)

Storm
14th June 2007, 18:19
Thats charm? Geez, I'd hate to see him be obnoxious !!

ZeroIndex
14th June 2007, 18:46
I can take a picture tonight if it's any good?

Don't worry, after much searching, I found a manual that shows the wiring codes :) all sorted :D

thanks anyway

Paul in NZ
14th June 2007, 21:36
I certainly do....(it's part of his charm)

I heard it was his ONLY charm.... :innocent:

Paul in NZ
15th June 2007, 16:17
Just a quick update for the sake of public record.

The cylinders measured in at 56.01mm to 56.02mm. Std bore is 56mm so really thats pretty good.

This engine will get fresh gaskets, rings, seals and a valve job and it should be ready to rock n roll.... (well after we tidy her up a bit and check the running gear!

Cheers

ZeroIndex
15th June 2007, 18:29
Binned my bike on the right-hand side, so need to get the oil cover on the right-hand side repaired (the section with all the allun key bolts)... Can anyone recommend where I might try getting it repaired, or getting a replacement?

Paul in NZ
15th June 2007, 19:52
They can be purchased new and you can get aftermarket stuff.

Post a piccie of the cover damage for suggested repair.

Cheers

nodrog
17th June 2007, 19:22
does it go yet man?

Paul in NZ
17th June 2007, 19:26
does it go yet man?

Waiting for stuff from canada (of all places) like gaskets n stuff..... Nice guy, GREAT prices - little slow in answering his email....

Paul in NZ
18th June 2007, 21:49
OK - not much progress but stuff is ordered including....

Full gasket set
New Rings
Valve seals
Carb rubbers (oh gawd I hope they are the right ones)
Oil filter
Air filter

I can't buy new EXUP cables so they will be repaired.... (drat)

I have had the side stand and engine bars powdercoated. Shame all the nuts n bolts are rusty but we are on a budget. The sand blasting and powdercoating was $50. Cheaper than spray paint and easier (can of spray paint is like $20 and theyre was a shit load of rust so rust killer reqd as well, undercoat etc. This wont wash off when the new owner cleans the engine (hint hint)

The air filter looks a must - the old ones been there a couple of tomato seasons I reckon (seen worse though) but somethings making the bugger run rich so lets change it!

Kickaha
19th June 2007, 06:42
I can't buy new EXUP cables so they will be repaired.... (drat)

Is there something special about them that means you cant get them made?

Paul in NZ
19th June 2007, 08:56
Is there something special about them that means you cant get them made?

Yeah - they have a billion (well OK a few) wierd fitments / adjusters but since i have all the bits I can take them to Melbar cables and he assures me he can replicate them so no longer a problem... Of course I could do it myself but I'm lazy and can't find my big ole solderin' bolt....

imdying
19th June 2007, 09:22
Just use a torch, a lot easier and faster than a big soldering iron :yes:

/edit: Some nice lady pointed out that that might need clarification. I'm thinking LPG or Butane, not Everready Dolphin :yes:

Paul in NZ
19th June 2007, 12:40
Just use a torch, a lot easier and faster than a big soldering iron :yes:

/edit: Some nice lady pointed out that that might need clarification. I'm thinking LPG or Butane, not Everready Dolphin :yes:

I figured that! :innocent: I had a HUGE soldering bolt that i used to do stuff like radiators with - It was the bees knees for cables (dry heat, no soot) but I can't find the bugger.... Besides I have a thing about making cables....

imdying
19th June 2007, 12:47
A thing? Do tell :yes:

Paul in NZ
19th June 2007, 15:33
I used to have no choice because you couldn't buy spares for anything at all so you had to adapt stuff, shorten things etc - bloody nightmare... I have even made car ones...

I never trust ones I make though... No - they never failed more often etc - I just didn't trust em... odd eh?

imdying
20th June 2007, 12:27
I can show you how to make them stronger than standard if you like... pretty overkill, but...

Paul in NZ
20th June 2007, 13:03
I can show you how to make them stronger than standard if you like... pretty overkill, but...

Can't do easily if it means making the cables bigger as they have to fit into cast ends / recievers at the servo and exhaust. Nylon lined? Maybe not as i think they get hot at the exup end... Looks like I CAN buy new now (argh)

imdying
20th June 2007, 13:51
Naw, it's all in how you attach the ends. If you open the end piece a little (you can buy some pre done), then you can flare the cable before you solder it up. Ain't no way that will ever pull out :yes:

Paul in NZ
20th June 2007, 15:12
Naw, it's all in how you attach the ends. If you open the end piece a little (you can buy some pre done), then you can flare the cable before you solder it up. Ain't no way that will ever pull out :yes:

They didn't pull out - they snapped off. I think the nipples seized in the pulley.

Cheers

imdying
20th June 2007, 16:10
Ok, two things too watch out for:
- Hold the cable upside down when you solder it, and only feed in as much solder as you need... otherwise it'll feed up the cable, and create a hard point that'll snap off
- Make sure you end actually fits the thing you're fitting it into. And when you grind any excess solder off, make sure it's still round afterwards :lol:

A little dab of grease on the end bit pivot point (the hole it goes in) doesn't go astray either :yes:

Paul in NZ
30th June 2007, 20:34
Right - progress at last!

I now have nice rebuilt EXUP cables... Fitted to the servo and while I was in there I noticed the rear brake master cylinder was floating free so a spare bolt from the collection of spare bolts sorted that.. nooice..... Pictures crap but losts of hi temp grease on servo nipples

I have fitted new grips (I got bored).....

I have cleaned up the rusty bolts holding the sub frame and engine in (rust killer) and will give em a shot of zinc tomorrow... shiney....

Swing arm bobbins are fitted and one of Frosty's race stand hold it up.. mmmm.. stable... (Tony send me your bleeding account details already!)

I have new gaskets and new rings! Yes they have arrived from the USA so we can now rebuild the head (valve stem seals) and gap the piston rings in the bores and once I've cleaned up the pistons I can start engine reassembly...

Woo hoo....

Paul in NZ
30th June 2007, 20:37
Oh - I've started on the exhaust system too - bleugh - 'orrible job!

FROSTY
1st July 2007, 12:04
Paul---Save yaself a bit of work--remember the way we used to clean out 2 smoke zorsts--Blow torch -Itll wok in thie innards of the exup casing too

Paul in NZ
1st July 2007, 13:33
Paul---Save yaself a bit of work--remember the way we used to clean out 2 smoke zorsts--Blow torch -Itll wok in thie innards of the exup casing too

Yup - done that - bleugh! Cleaning up the outside too for a paint..... Muffler looks OK (ish) inside....

Paul in NZ
1st July 2007, 19:06
Argh - bloody weather - wot a pain in the bum...

Spent a bit of time this morning pruning trees, triming the hedge etc when it was not raining too badly.. (sigh) but I'd have liked it fine so I could clean up the pipes and paint stuff outside...

Not to be!

Headers are cleaned up and painted. Worst of the soot cleaned out!

Mufflers cleaned inside (a bit) and out... (a bit more)

Various frame bolts that were munted got the rust killer treatment and a shot of zinc paint to protect em. Really should have plated them but the paint was already there as was the rust killer and I'd rather spend the $$ on the gaskets etc....

The tube is a water pipe that was fairly corroded and now - it is not.....

All lookin good and only a couple of really messy jobs to do and then we can get to the fun stuff - reassembly... (ah hem)

Paul in NZ
2nd July 2007, 08:49
Dropped the NEW valve seals (for head reassembly) and the NEW piston rings (gap checking in bores) off at the engine reconditioners... Woo hoo...

xwhatsit
2nd July 2007, 12:50
Argh - bloody weather - wot a pain in the bum...

Spent a bit of time this morning pruning trees, triming the hedge etc when it was not raining too badly.. (sigh) but I'd have liked it fine so I could clean up the pipes and paint stuff outside...

Not to be!

Headers are cleaned up and painted. Worst of the soot cleaned out!

Mufflers cleaned inside (a bit) and out... (a bit more)

Various frame bolts that were munted got the rust killer treatment and a shot of zinc paint to protect em. Really should have plated them but the paint was already there as was the rust killer and I'd rather spend the $$ on the gaskets etc....

The tube is a water pipe that was fairly corroded and now - it is not.....

All lookin good and only a couple of really messy jobs to do and then we can get to the fun stuff - reassembly... (ah hem)

<hints id="hah_hints"></hints>Those pipes look very good. How did you get them like that? My headers look absolutely awful where they exit the engine, probably a bit worse than yours were originally, but I'd like an alternative to exhaust tape or brand new ones.

Paul in NZ
2nd July 2007, 12:56
<hints id="hah_hints"></hints>Those pipes look very good. How did you get them like that? My headers look absolutely awful where they exit the engine, probably a bit worse than yours were originally, but I'd like an alternative to exhaust tape or brand new ones.

A good scrub with a wire brush to remove the worst of it... Several applications of rust killer, washing, scrubbing, wire brush, emery paper, sand paper anything abrasive left on the bench followed by a spray with VHT Hi-Temp exhaust paint which is good stuff! (once its painted, keep it nice with pot belly stove polish)

They were pretty rusty so this will make em last a little longer I hope?

Cheers

Paul in NZ
11th July 2007, 21:53
Remember this thread?? Sadly work is the curse of the workshop man and I have been waiting on bits as well.

The heads done and barrels are back (pictures later - it's staying wrapped up at the moment). Rings sized up well so it's all go.

Second lot of parts arrived coutesy of jeaves on KB who is a genuine good bastard and saved me a small fortune with his fledgling (ah hem) service - I shall be using him again and I suggest you do too.... 1 genuine air filter, muffler bolt / nut (a bit of vanity) and exup valve gasket and bush.

Big news - I welded up the engine cover myself using the stuff on trademe Frosty and Pantah Pete recommended. It was relatively easy (er - less said the better) but practise is recommended. Its now sound but will address the cosmetics this weekend and seal the inside as well (non oil retention cover so all sweet)

Next job (started tonight) it to remove the gunk from the pistons and fit the new rings.

QUESTION - the base gasket seems to have had some sort of sealant applied at the factory? Anyone know what it is? I've heard of 'Yamabond'. it that it? (must check manual)

As usual - pictures...

crashe
11th July 2007, 22:02
Paul in NZ - Tis looking good...

Any idea as to when you may have her up and running?

Paul in NZ
12th July 2007, 08:50
Paul in NZ - Tis looking good...

Any idea as to when you may have her up and running?

Sigh... Sooner the better as far as I'm concerned but time is a real issue for me at the moment. I don't get home until 7:30 at the moment and by the time I get dinner in me and sort out my stuff for the next day it's 8:15 and since I get up at 5:30 or so I don't like a late night. Frankly the weathers not insipiring me to dash off to the shed the second I get home either...

Having said that - I hope for some progress this weekend and then I'll just be waiting for the final bits to arrive which will be some gaskets for the side covers (too lazy to make em) and new carb rubbers and jet kits for the carbs.

I'm guessing August?

Badcat
12th July 2007, 09:34
and how much if it is?

Ken

Paul in NZ
12th July 2007, 10:05
and how much if it is?

Ken

I'll have to see how it comes up Ken. This bike has had some very public 'issues' and I want the purchaser to know exactly what they are getting apart from a damn near 20 year old bike with a difficult childhood. When it's running there are a couple of cosmetics to attend to and at the moment I have no idea if the charging system is OK or suspension / brakes are functional. If not you will read about it here and they will be sorted to the best of my ability (megre at best).... But if you read the whole thread I've not skimped or bodged anything - if it's needed doing - it's been done and the whole aim was to put it back to the way Mr Yamaha designed it to be.

I'm hoping August / September and there will be a full and frank road test done by someone like Jim2 if he is willing. If the timing of it's completion is OK it will run in the sprints so all will know how well it runs.

The bike will be sold as a package with considerable spares and race stand yet registered and wof. Any profit will be donated to charity AND accounts published here. (assuming i can find them all)

Trademe will be my first choice but I'm always open to offers closer to the date. It won't be 'expensive' but I'm not giving it away either - certainly the package will represent a bloody good deal for someone.

Cheers

Jeaves
12th July 2007, 10:13
Any profit will be donated to charity

Good on ya bud.

Paul in NZ
21st July 2007, 21:11
Well OK I got diverted a bit by life and the triumph :love: this week....

That sorted it was back into the gargae for some music beer and yamamammering.... I finished cleaning the piston tops and fitted the new rings... More tomorrow..

Shit - is thre anything better than a night in the shed with music, a case of beer, bikes and yer tools...

Paul in NZ
21st July 2007, 21:14
Oh - I reassembled the cover as well... its a bit erm lumpy..:whocares:

Anyway - scroll back a few pages to compare the old with the new in the pistons and the cover

merv
21st July 2007, 21:40
Going well that man.

Storm
21st July 2007, 22:07
Keep up the great work Paul :D

Dodgyiti
22nd July 2007, 09:43
Shit - is thre anything better than a night in the shed with music, a case of beer, bikes and yer tools...

Not really mate,:yes:
I have a heap of comedy and old BBC shows from Limewire to play sometimes instead of music.
When the wind and rain are howling and your hands give off steam in the winter months, ya gotta have a laugh.
Plus 'man's best friend' is good company in the shed, even when they look back at you like- "Can't we go in the house, it's miserable out here"

Bike looks good, I am impressed with the way you have made cost effective solutions
M.O'F

Str8 Jacket
22nd July 2007, 13:18
Oh - I reassembled the cover as well... its a bit erm lumpy..:whocares:

Anyway - scroll back a few pages to compare the old with the new in the pistons and the cover

Is that the fly wheel cover?...... It looks awesome compared to how it did look if it is!

steved
22nd July 2007, 13:26
Well OK I got diverted a bit by life and the triumph :love: this week....

That sorted it was back into the gargae for some music beer and yamamammering.... I finished cleaning the piston tops and fitted the new rings... More tomorrow..

Looking at your shed, I can summise that you haven't moved house in a while? :dodge:

Looks like an amazing lair to be creative. :rockon:

Paul in NZ
22nd July 2007, 16:53
Is that the fly wheel cover?...... It looks awesome compared to how it did look if it is!

Yes it is and thank you....

Paul in NZ
22nd July 2007, 16:54
Looking at your shed, I can summise that you haven't moved house in a while? :dodge:

Looks like an amazing lair to be creative. :rockon:

Erm - no I just collect munt like a munt magnet..... :yes: It does not matter where I go it follows me....

Deviant Esq
22nd July 2007, 19:44
*Still keeping up with the thread* :corn:

Interesting reading Paul mate. Not much I can do to help being a ways down here... but if there is something, let me know. :niceone:

Paul in NZ
22nd July 2007, 20:47
OK - obviously some newly honed bores deserve a new cylinder base gasket and replacement of the rubber O rings at the base of the liners....

Paul in NZ
22nd July 2007, 20:54
Fiddly getting the barrels onto the bottom end but Vicki endured Mr Grumpy (sore back) and I don't think we broke anything....

Then its on with her head..... and in with the cams (wot a pain)

Everything was smothered in oil and engine assembly goop.....

Paul in NZ
22nd July 2007, 20:59
Ta dah... 'nuff said - time for a beer....

I'll take the whole thing to the yamahammar dealer for them to set the valves 'cos its gunna be easier and faster than me buying shims and farting about - plus they felt sorry for me and are giving me a deal :third:

I'll get em to do a leak down test as well...

Time for a beer..... (again)

Colapop
22nd July 2007, 21:06
Paul is such a nice guy. I stopped in yesterday for a coffee (as you do when you're nearby) and had a nice chat, coffee etc... then as I was about to go (late for where I was supposed to be) he says come have a look at this.. and starts showing me the bike... It was all I could do to tear myself away!! Paul you blardy temptress... You're doing wonders with that thing. People if you have seen (in person) some of the work he's done - invite yourself for a looksee...

Sorry 'bout inviting people round to your place Paul....

Kickaha
23rd July 2007, 06:07
I'll take the whole thing to the yamahammar dealer for them to set the valves 'cos its gunna be easier and faster than me buying shims and farting about -

couldn't you have just taken the head in while it was off the engine?
(bit easier to lug around)

imdying
23rd July 2007, 08:22
Shit - is thre anything better than a night in the shed with music, a case of beer, bikes and yer tools...Hell no... Radio NZ playing some swing music... :scooter:

Paul in NZ
23rd July 2007, 08:51
couldn't you have just taken the head in while it was off the engine?
(bit easier to lug around)

'D'oh..... I should have thought of that shouldn't I... God that would have been soo much easier and you can do that with a FZR400 DOHC engine.......

Oh well - this is just one reason why I'm doin' it eh?

Paul in NZ
23rd July 2007, 09:05
Hell no... Radio NZ playing some swing music... :scooter:

Listened to a bit of radio but I had my new (old) 'Traffic' CD to get used to (gotta listen a few times) and a mate turned me onto a guy called Harry Manx so i spun up 'Dog my Cat' and some other new to me music that I found I quite liked ... Mucho fun...

FROSTY
23rd July 2007, 23:20
'D'oh..... I should have thought of that shouldn't I... God that would have been soo much easier and you can do that with a FZR400 DOHC engine.......

Oh well - this is just one reason why I'm doin' it eh?
ER um Paul--diddn't some shortass pommy git say that to ya on SATURDAY??

Paul in NZ
24th July 2007, 09:21
ER um Paul--diddn't some shortass pommy git say that to ya on SATURDAY??

But I wasn't listening...... Or at least didn't understand 'git' ..... Anyway - jobs done and this way they can do a leakdown test and see if i bent any valves installing the cams.... stupid yamaha...

Cheers

Paul in NZ
27th July 2007, 17:44
Bugger me....

Valves all checked at Yamaha dealer (many new shims required) and engine hooked up to leakdown tester - passed with flying colours.... Bloody Stoked!

Just got to put the bastard together now!!! Woo Hoo 'sexytime'

mark247
27th July 2007, 17:57
Bugger me....

Valves all checked at Yamaha dealer (many new shims required) and engine hooked up to leakdown tester - passed with flying colours.... Bloody Stoked!

Just got to put the bastard together now!!! Woo Hoo 'sexytime'

Thats great. Was it the inlet valves that needed new shims? I have read that the inlet valves in the 400's are well known for making the bike hard to start etc.

Deviant Esq
27th July 2007, 19:06
Awesome news Paul, great work. On the home straight now! :Punk:

merv
27th July 2007, 19:10
Beautiful!!!!!!

Paul in NZ
27th July 2007, 19:42
Thats great. Was it the inlet valves that needed new shims? I have read that the inlet valves in the 400's are well known for making the bike hard to start etc.

Mark - read the whole thread and look at the pictures. The whole top ends been stripped, new rings, bores honed, pistons cleaned, valves soaked and faces re cut, valve seats re cut, inlet and ex ports sand blasted clean. New seals / gaskets / filters, EXUP rebuilt (cables and bushes) etc etc.... (for a start anyway)

Paul in NZ
28th July 2007, 20:47
I needed to keep my hands busy today so i changed oil on the triumph that didn't really need changing and decided to hoik the engine into the FZR... Basically place the engine on a pile of blocks and lifted the bike onto it. Easy peasy... Then started hooking things up. I would have fitted the exhaust but the only part i bought from the local yamaha dealer (oil filter) and I got given the wrong bit... HA! I just about wet myself - farkin funny...

So I cleaned up the EXUP Valve, fitted the new bushes, gaskets etc - spins like a good un, hooked up the battery and the servo works too - on the home turn now....

Ronin
28th July 2007, 22:03
Awesome stuff Paul.

FROSTY
29th July 2007, 17:57
Next step forks and front brakes ??

Paul in NZ
29th July 2007, 18:08
Next step forks and front brakes ??

Providing it actually runs.... Besides - it will get a lick and a promise - I aint doing this to keep the bugger - someone else deserves some fun...

Paul in NZ
4th August 2007, 17:43
Not much garage time this week or today - funerals, work, domestic chores etc all conspire against me...

Things are getting hooked up - little things like replacing lightbulbs etc and fitting new oil filter then exhaust, engine covers, cleaning and gapping the plugs etc etc - usual stuff.

Paul in NZ
4th August 2007, 17:45
Hopefully get a better run at it tomorrow...

Paul in NZ
5th August 2007, 17:49
It LIVES!!!! The engine ran briefly before i had to come in for dinner - just 2 cylinders, prob needs the assembly oil cleaned off the plugs but it fuckin' ran under it's own power... heh heh!

James Deuce
5th August 2007, 17:59
Nice!

400 run in the near future eh?

Deviant Esq
5th August 2007, 18:19
Only two cylinders? They say two outta three aint bad, but two out of four? Hope it runs on all four once the plugs are cleaned up!

Still, more cylinders than my bike even has!!

Good job mate. :niceone:

Paul in NZ
5th August 2007, 18:53
Far out - she runs like a friggin good un lads - been for a hoon down the street - no airbox or seat but shes very healthy - it even idles... Hot damn - I'm having a beer! What a hoot!

crashe
5th August 2007, 18:56
Far out - she runs like a friggin good un lads - been for a hoon down the street - no airbox or seat but shes very healthy - it even idles... Hot damn - I'm having a beer! What a hoot!

You certainly deserve that beer mate......:rockon::done:

Well done....

But it must have been a bit uncomfortable sitting on the battery and other bits...:rofl:

Madness
5th August 2007, 18:58
:drinknsin:drinknsin:drinknsin:drinknsin:drinknsin

Awesome stuff Paul.

merv
5th August 2007, 19:25
Well done, the work you've done so far looks fantastic so I'd expect it to go well.

scracha
5th August 2007, 19:41

Loveely. Welcome to the mini exup brotherhood :yes:

Paul in NZ
5th August 2007, 20:36
OK - Shes a goer... Carbs need a synch but it lives again....

MSTRS
6th August 2007, 10:22
Brilliant Paul - the stuff of legends

ZeroIndex
6th August 2007, 11:50
Hey Mr Paul In NZ, what year is your FZR?

Paul in NZ
6th August 2007, 12:08
Hey Mr Paul In NZ, what year is your FZR?

It's hard to be exactly certain because it's a Japanese Import but nominally its an '88. Its the 1WG model but has the EXUP valve and the flat slide carbs. The model changed a fair bit in 89/90 I think.

The parts I've been ordering are for the USA spec EXUP model and everything has been OK apart for the carb bits which were different.

Cheers

ZeroIndex
6th August 2007, 17:43
It's hard to be exactly certain because it's a Japanese Import but nominally its an '88. Its the 1WG model but has the EXUP valve and the flat slide carbs. The model changed a fair bit in 89/90 I think.

The parts I've been ordering are for the USA spec EXUP model and everything has been OK apart for the carb bits which were different.

Cheers
So is it the 3EN1 or 3EN2? (3rd and 4th on the list respectively)
http://www.madsi.co.uk/models.aspx

There are the actual models... all of them appear to be 1WG, but they've got extra model names for each year they brought out a new one... would you say the 3EN1/2 has the exact same engine as the 2TK (2nd on the list)

Str8 Jacket
6th August 2007, 17:48
Its the 3ENI....

Paul in NZ
6th August 2007, 19:46
Yup - Wot she said but that means bugger all to the septics - I think some of their models are called other things?? damned if I know...

Paul in NZ
9th August 2007, 22:19
Right - nearly there....

I seem to be missing a bracket to attach a radiator shroud? I'll look again during the day 'cos I may have missed something..

However - cosmetics still need attention (trust me - the digital camera flatters it) the fairing needs minor repairs, a new screen and the fork oil needs changing but if I give it a polish - it should get a wof!

Oh - in case you are interested - remember where we began? Well it starts on the button - hot or cold - instantly! :love:

merv
9th August 2007, 22:22
Maybe the camera flatters it as you say but whatever its looking fabulous.

Deviant Esq
9th August 2007, 22:25
Maybe the camera flatters it... but if that's the case it flatters it a lot - it looks brand new! Oustanding effort mate! And running well too. Have you taken it for much of a shakedown run?

Paul in NZ
9th August 2007, 22:28
Have you taken it for much of a shakedown run?

Um - my neighbours still like me and I'd like to keep it that way ;-)

Trust me - it's not brand new - many little isues to resolve etc but it's coming on - once its legal it will get a run for sure (assuming oil tight and water tight)

Paul in NZ
10th August 2007, 11:18
Right - nearly there....

I seem to be missing a bracket to attach a radiator shroud? I'll look again during the day 'cos I may have missed something..

I guess I can't find the bracket for the radiator shroud because its actually an air guide and fits someplace around the carbs / fuel tank...

Drat.... A least i know where it's supposed to go now!