PDA

View Full Version : My fuel tank tap doesn't shut off.

TKDSKIP
14th May 2007, 19:55
Just picked up my first bike the other day and as part of a ritual I have with a new vehicle I decided to give it a service. When I removed the tank to check the air filter I heard something loose knocking inside. I could not see anything but it sounds metalic and feels quite heavy. I put it back together and was not going to worry about it. The other day I rode 80km on my bike without turning the tap on,:scooter: it will still switch to reserve when the main is dry, its just that I can not turn the tap off. Is this going to cause a problem/ waste fuel,:nono: the tap is there for a reason so should I try to fix it. Cheers

Storm
14th May 2007, 22:25
Fix it. You wouldnt roll with dodgy brakes or lights. Look after your machine and it'll look after you:)

NotaGoth
14th May 2007, 22:36
Isn't there an O-ring in the fuel tap thats damaged when it does that??

MaxB
14th May 2007, 23:43
I would fix it. You can try the following if you want. I have done a few fuel taps in my time.

If there is no leakage past the outside of the tap you may be lucky in that the o-ring is still OK. First thing I would try (with the tank on) is CRC/WD40 on the outside threads of the tap. If that is no good then get tank off and with the tap upright spray more CRC and leave overnght.

If that does not work then strip the tap assembly, carefully clean and put it back together. Check for blockages or anything that could prevent the tap from turning. Pay attention to the correct seating of the o-ring on reassembly. If there is a fuel filter replace/clean it as required.

Sometimes the tap wears so badly it jams or seizes in place and you can get fuel seepage. At that point its time for a new one.

BTW I'd try and find out what that is rattling in your tank too.

Hope this helps.

TKDSKIP
15th May 2007, 18:34
Fix it. You wouldnt roll with dodgy brakes or lights. Look after your machine and it'll look after you:)

Yeah, good call Storm. Thanks for your help guys I'll pull it to bits and have a play.