PDA

View Full Version : Hallo, looking for German help.

Motoracer
15th May 2007, 00:41
Hey people,

Yes I am still alive. Just been out of the scene. Work, other activities, my car, friends and girlfriend have been the reasons I don't have time for bikes.

Anywho, the point of this thread is that my girlfriend is away till the end of the month (back home in Germany) and in this time I wanted to surprise her by learning German as much as I can. I have already got the German for dummys book out from the library but I need to practice with a German who can maybe teach me a few things.

In return, I can always discuss theories about riding bikes with you if you are interested. Or if not that, then I could always buy you some beers. Which German can resist that?!

Cheers!
Text me (021 636 156) :)

bobsmith
15th May 2007, 01:27
What? you want to pick up a German to date while your German girlfriend is out of country? Why not try Swedish? I hear they're great.

MOTOXXX
15th May 2007, 07:18
ich bin ein Staubsauger

im a vacuum cleaner

xwhatsit
15th May 2007, 07:38
Nein, das ist mein Radiergummi!

No, that is my eraser!

Squeak the Rat
15th May 2007, 08:34
Hallo mein wenig hampster. Wo setzte ich mein Luftschachtklebeband?

Joni
15th May 2007, 08:37
Bloody hell guys... :lol:
I reckon Sudeep was being serious...

Good luck my little friend. :sunny:

ManDownUnder
15th May 2007, 09:11
Sudeep - spend a few bucks and buy a "learn to speak German (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Books/Audio-books/CD/auction-99505189.htm?p=2)" CD for the PC. I got one for French (not this particluar brand) and they work bloody well.

Audio is better than just reading the book I think - you get to hear what the words actually sound like, rather than how you think they sound - reading them off the page.

Awesome attitude to dude... it's the thought that counts - and that's a very cool thought :clap: :clap:.

Edit - another option, contact a language school, or languages dept of a University if you want to learn a specific phrase off pat.

Korea
15th May 2007, 09:18
I would recommend the Lonely Planet German Phrasebook...

It will get you up and running quicksmart, like.

Your GF will especially appreciate the 'making out' section :yes:
But steer clear of the swear word section - shocker!

Smorg
15th May 2007, 09:33
Im half german and speak a little but probably not enough to help you out incredibly, and speaking from experience.....Germans are better than the Swedes.

Smorg
15th May 2007, 09:34
Nein, das ist mein Radiergummi!

No, that is my eraser!

Ich essen mein hoddens = I eat my balls

Rosie
15th May 2007, 12:08
Hallo mein wenig hampster. Wo setzte ich mein Luftschachtklebeband?

Luftschachtklebeband = funnel-adhesive-tape? :scratch:
But seriously, have you tried http://www.rentagerman.de/

Motoracer
15th May 2007, 17:21
Sudeep - spend a few bucks and buy a "learn to speak German (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Books/Audio-books/CD/auction-99505189.htm?p=2)" CD for the PC. I got one for French (not this particluar brand) and they work bloody well.

Audio is better than just reading the book I think - you get to hear what the words actually sound like, rather than how you think they sound - reading them off the page.

Thanks for the advise man. I was trying to get an interactive DVD/CD but haven't found one. I will look up the one you sujested. :)

Thanks as well Korea. Will look it up. Although I already learnt a few smooth lines re the "making out" topic, back in high school. :)

Motoracer
15th May 2007, 17:27
Im half german and speak a little but probably not enough to help you out incredibly, and speaking from experience.....Germans are better than the Swedes.

Thanks for the offer anyway.

Luftschachtklebeband = funnel-adhesive-tape? :scratch:
But seriously, have you tried http://www.rentagerman.de/

Ha ha ha ha, that's pretty funny. I'll send her the link. Maybe she'll make some extra cash that way. As for myself, I don't wana pay money. I don't have much money. I was just looking for freebie Germans. :)

kerfufflez
16th May 2007, 23:44
Hi,

the BBC website has a section on learning languages. I've never used it, but it might be helpful.

Hope the link works.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/german/

badvan
16th May 2007, 23:50
Hi!

Im from germany! And i need to learn english so we could make a good deal by teaching each other ;)

If u interested mail me : badvan75@hotmail.com

cheers Ralf

HDTboy
16th May 2007, 23:51
I believe Cleve runs a language school. he doesn't teach German, but may know someone who does.

SPman
17th May 2007, 01:01
Wenn ist dass nod-schtuck git un slottermeier?
Ja, beyerhunt das oder die flipperwalt gershput!

badvan
17th May 2007, 01:08
hehe who did this translation?

this makes absolutly no sence ;O)

SPman
17th May 2007, 01:27
Monty Python - 1971

Motoracer
17th May 2007, 13:28
Thanks for the BBC link. That's pretty interesting and I can view it during breaks at work too which is cool.

I have just bought this and I am really happy!! It's exactly what I have been looking for.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=100117403

I will send you an email anyway Ralf :)

P.S. With the CD I bought, it should be almost as good as going to a Language school anyway. Besides, this is only for a surprise so I want ASAP results. My GF can teach me more later on so I am not too worried about proper long term help.

BIGBOSSMAN
17th May 2007, 14:47
I know how important it is to impress a German woman. I have one, and they love it if one makes an effort to communicate in their language. Try all the swear words first, nothing breaks the ice better than 'arschloff' or 'muschi' (regarded as the best german word ever created). If your bird would like some German company, pm me or biggles08 on this forum and the girls will surely accommodate. Then they can all get together, and chat about sausage, sauerkraut, lederhosen and all the other topics dear to Germans. :yes:

Fishy
17th May 2007, 16:35
Good on ya bro, hope all goes well when she gets back. Must have a catch up with you some time soon :niceone:

Biggles08
27th May 2007, 10:52

Well can't compare really myself, and I'm sure the Swedes have their benefits but i would have to say Deutsch all the way!!! they love their Bratwurst and for this reason alone I wouldn't trade for a swede..... ever! :woohoo: