PDA

View Full Version : Touring Brisbane to Cairns

Lance
16th May 2007, 19:53
Im going to Brisbane in June picking up my 2005 DL1000 V strom and cruising up to Caines flying home on 27th June. Anyone got any rout sugestions?
Also I will be leaving the bike in Caines for a month before I go back for a trip up to Cape York (if thats posible) I will be looking for a place to store bike for a month??? any sugestions??? or another option would be to rent the bike to another kiwirider who might like to explore Northern Australia while om back in NZ. This would be at a substantial discount to a responsible rider. Bike will be available in Caines from 26th June.

bell
16th May 2007, 21:05
Sorry, have to correct you here....it's Cairns!

Route suggestions. Hmmm. Avoid the main drag north where possible. Highway Patrol and the odd speed camera if you're not vigilant. Trucks, trucks and then some more trucks for good measure.

It's strange eh. I lived in Queensland for more than 20 years but was not a rider over there. I've driven the strectches up the coast and inland for many years but when I try and recall some 'Wow-this-would-be-an=awesome-road-for-a-bike' roads, I can't think of many btw Bris and Cairns.

In Qld you have quite a few long and very straight (read: boring) sections of highway. These roads are punctuated by a smattering of very small and unappealing small towns (read: boring). In between these towns you'll have lots of dirt, dead things (trees, roadkill, um, trees and roadkill. Yep, that covers it.). Some might call it "scenery".

This "scenery" is worth seeing if for no other reason to remark "Gee, this is quite different to anything I've ever seen in NZ".

Don't get me wrong though. Qld has some awesome places to explore. Best done with a bit of time and a 4WD however (or a dual-sport). Or a boat if you're keen on the reef and diving, etc. Your DL should handle a great majority of the dirt roads away from Highway 1. You'll have panniers for a tent and cooking gear or are you going to stay in hotels/hostels/B&B? Mind you, head away from the bitumen and you'll find any sort of "services" very few and far between.

Have you checked out any useful websites to help plan your trip? Lonely Planet? Bill Bryson?! www.racq.com.au should be ok. Also try http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/viewforum.php?f=35&sid=2aafa01d360ddb6a4aeefe1111e30b13

If I can't stress anything more, it would have to be these things:
- you have to leave Brisbane via this route! http://www.bestbikingroads.com/show_route_detail.php?rid=1476225
- don't ever underestimate how unpredictable kangaroos can be, and
- if the sign states "Estuarine crocodiles inhabit these waters" - take it seriously!

Flick me a PM if you're after any specifics. Happy to help with some local knowledge.

Lance
19th May 2007, 20:35
Yea last time I was up there was 1967. Will be interesting to see it again. Looking forward to getting up above Cairns (have I got it this time).
Will report back in July

Lance

tri boy
20th May 2007, 16:39
Yea last time I was up there was 1967. Will be interesting to see it again. Looking forward to getting up above Cairns (have I got it this time).
Will report back in July

Lance

Wow, From 1967, to 2007.
Mate you'll barely regonise the place. The old Barbary Coast area where all the good old pubs were (prawn fishermen watering holes) are completely gone, and most signs are in Asian.
If you get a chance, head out through the Kuranda range and out to some towns that way. Marreba, Dimbulah etc . Head back down to Atherton, and spend a day or two exploring the tablelands.
Save Port Douglas, Cape Trib for later. Bits for Bikes in Cairns are helpful. Enjoy.:yes:

bell
21st May 2007, 18:57
Unsure if you'll get this before you leave Lance....

I got my maps out and traced a few lines up the coast the other day, trying to recall roads that might hold some appeal for you.

Basically....
- If you leave Brisbane via the "western" routes (Route 31) (eg. Mt Nebo-->Mt Glorious-->Somerset Dam-->Hazeldene-->Kilcoy) you'll be in the right spot for riding through the Sunshine Coast hinterland area - sublime riding at this time of year.

When you get to Kilcoy turn right and follow signs for Woodford (but don't go into Woodford).
Veer right toward Stanmore and you'll come out at Beerwah (Glasshouse Mtns National Park).
From Beerwah head north to Landsborough and then follow signs for Maleny. Continue to Conondale, Kenilworth and Imbil (watch out for the locals in Imbil...two headed variety through here), and onto Gympie.
You can hit the main Hwy 1 again here or stay away from the coast and continue onto Gayndah and Mundubbera, Monto, Biloela - this will take you pretty much parallel to the coast but avoiding the traffic.
Biloela to Rockhampton is 145kms. Rockhampton is close to the coast and pretty much just a big country town. Lots of utes, big hats, RM Williams boots, check shirts....you get the picture.

Between Rockhampton and Ayr (just south of Townsville) you'll need to decide if you're going to stick to Highway 1 along the coast or head inland further - inland means "developmental roads". These are quite often single lane sealed or reasonable quality dirt. The DL will handle these dirt roads easily. They are kept in pretty good condition by the local authorities and are less likely to have the potholes that can swallow cars and bikes whole that you'll find on the more remote dirt roads in central Australia or "cattle station" roads that link up the 1000's of cattle stations across the regions away from the coast.

I can highly recommend heading into Maryborough and Hervey Bay (north of Gympie) (take the Tin Can Bay turnoff on the southern side of Gympie to get onto the road to Tin Can Bay), This brings you into Maryborough avoiding Highway 1. Great bike roads in this section and less likely to find much traffic except if it's school holidays.

Park the bike up in Hervey Bay and go across to Fraser Island for a night. Truly awesome National Park that's well worth a day or 6 to explore...

As triboy suggested, make sure you get out to the Atherton Tablelands.
Kuranda to the north and then west across to Mareeba and south to Atherton. Out of Atherton and down to Yungaburra and then Malanda and then Millaa Millaa is a "must ride" bit of road too.

If you've got time head further west when you get to Millaa Millaa - turn right and hit the main highway again for a bit and stay the night at the Undara Volcanic (Lava Tubes) National Park - another amazing place to visit. Stay the night in their unique accommodation and do the tour (it's the only way you can view the lava tubes).

Hinchinbrook Island (Cardwell - btw Townsville and Cairns) is absolutely primo if you're into the outdoorsy/nature stuff. There are day trips that run out to the island. The 4 day walking track is pretty hard to book as they only allow 40 people on the island at any one time.

Post some pics when you get back too - show a few more NZers what actually is across the ditch! :dodge:

denill
3rd April 2008, 07:46
We went Connondale, Gayandah, Mundaberra, Eidsvold, Rolleston, Capella, Clermont, Charters Towers, Mt Surprise, Malanda, Cairns and basically back down the Bruce. Brilliant ride. So different to NZ. Otherwise there would be no point to it.

Definitely - Make the trip to Cape Trib.

Can post a diatribe of the trip if ya want it?

ducatijim
3rd April 2008, 09:33
This is interesting guys, me and Bass are riding from Brizzy this wayz to start out 'Great Ozzy Adventure' about May9/10 and were also wondering about this 'transport' stage of 1800km to Cairns. I will revisit the maps now....I have fuck all else to do with both hands in bandages and 2 weeks to drive the Mrs mad!!!