PDA

View Full Version : Manawatu: Palmy/Ashhurst ride this weekend?

yod
17th May 2007, 11:25
Weather looking good so i was thinking of heading up to kimbolton, then out rangiwahia rd, then hang a left at pemberton onto mangamako rd and out to ohingaiti and then come back through route 54?

only an idea - open to any suggestions if anyone else has a plan....i'm more than happy to follow the leader (thats my excuse for not being able to keep up with half of ya!)

Would appreciate anyone's knowledge on rangiwahia rd, mangamako rd - just been looking at them on google maps and they look interesting but for all I know they could be goat tracks! Bonez, 86, Cowboyz? you been out through there at all?

edit: all the usual suspects from around the district are invited of course...

chanceyy
17th May 2007, 20:11
Weather looking good so i was thinking of heading up to kimbolton, then out rangiwahia rd, then hang a left at pemberton onto mangamako rd and out to ohingaiti and then come back through route 54?

only an idea - open to any suggestions if anyone else has a plan....i'm more than happy to follow the leader (thats my excuse for not being able to keep up with half of ya!)

Would appreciate anyone's knowledge on rangiwahia rd, mangamako rd - just been looking at them on google maps and they look interesting but for all I know they could be goat tracks! Bonez, 86, Cowboyz? you been out through there at all?

edit: all the usual suspects from around the district are invited of course...

bugger mate .. my tank is still at panelbeaters so no bike no ride :cry: means housework, lawns, weedspraying & hairdressing will all have to be done ...

yod
17th May 2007, 20:14
stink...

since no-one else has replied im feeling a little :crybaby:

i might have to see if i can gate crash a wairarapa or hawkes bay ride

although you make a good point about lawns....ever since i got the bike my lawns seem to get mowed a lot less hmmmmm

chanceyy
17th May 2007, 20:17
stink...

since no-one else has replied im feeling a little :crybaby:

i might have to see if i can gate crash a wairarapa or hawkes bay ride

although you make a good point about lawns....ever since i got the bike my lawns seem to get mowed a lot less hmmmmm

yeah it is a problem .. but when the weather is so blardy great who wants to sweat mowing lawns .. much better to sweat on a bike LOL

dunna :cry: the other pirates will be alone soon enough ..

cowboyz
17th May 2007, 20:39
patience lad. we are still recovering from last weekend. I am not sure if I am riding this weekend. Got a new rear going on on monday cause my tyre is a little more than rooted after last weekend. There are small cracks right down the centre of the tyre. Not sure how much life it has got left in it to be honest. Might take a photo and ask some opinions on it.

yod
17th May 2007, 21:29
patience lad. we are still recovering from last weekend. I am not sure if I am riding this weekend. Got a new rear going on on monday cause my tyre is a little more than rooted after last weekend. There are small cracks right down the centre of the tyre. Not sure how much life it has got left in it to be honest. Might take a photo and ask some opinions on it.

fair enuff mate....i know you probly dont wanna get left behind the honda again...its ok...i understand:laugh:

meanwhile, back in the real world....
have you done those roads i mentioned? just wondering what they're like?

cowboyz
17th May 2007, 21:32
post up a map. I if it is the one I am thinking about then it is one of bonez special roads. Nice road to ride but quite a few surprise corners on it. It is the one with the infamous fence on it.

yod
17th May 2007, 22:35
post up a map. I if it is the one I am thinking about then it is one of bonez special roads. Nice road to ride but quite a few surprise corners on it. It is the one with the infamous fence on it.

map here (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=cheltenham,+new+zealand&daddr=Pemberton,+New+Zealand+to%3Aohingaiti&mrcr=1&sll=-39.886294,175.731812&sspn=0.09273,0.159645&ie=UTF8&ll=-39.994482,175.77301&spn=0.370334,0.63858&z=11&om=1)

cowboyz
18th May 2007, 06:57
not the one I was thinking of. Have to go furthur north for that.
doesnt look like I am out and about this weekend. save the riding for next weekend when I have a new tyre. Have fun

yod
18th May 2007, 11:58
no worries - didnt get my new helmet in time for this weekend (bugger) but hopefully will turn up next week and a new one for the wife too
i also managed to get hold of some factory (i think) mirrors for the viffer so at least ill be more legal and i can see how far behind me the kwaka is :laugh:

hopefully Bonez will turn up on here at some stage - he's bound to know those roads.....

blacksheep
18th May 2007, 15:29
would have been great to come out with you lot this weekend, but family stuff beckons , seeing as we left them to their own devices last weekend for us to do the cold duck thing!

blacksheep
18th May 2007, 15:32
might have time on sunday afternoon to nip over to mangatanoka for a beer and a bit of a blat?

cowboyz
18th May 2007, 15:42
I going to leave it this weekend in prep for next weekends 900k ride. you coming on that?

yod
18th May 2007, 16:28
I going to leave it this weekend in prep for next weekends 900k ride. you coming on that?

oi...what are you doing heading home at 1:15 anyway!?!?

Noreen
18th May 2007, 16:47
: There are a couple of us fuddy duddy riders going to gravity canyon sat morning.We are leaving from foxton with a pick up at himatangi and one at sanson tavern car park.we will be leaving there at 9.15am.If you want to come along you are most welcome.We will highway it there and back road on the return trip via rangiwahia kimbolton-cheltenham feilding.....There is a cafe there and a great veiwing platform.Or pack a lunch and come enjoy the great scenery.....not forgetting the RIDE....

Bonez
18th May 2007, 17:31

edit: all the usual suspects from around the district are invited of course...What time were you planning on heading out yod? I'd be keen on a quiet wee toodle tomorrow. A mate mentioned they're sealed. The thing to be carefull of this time of year are leaves apperently.

Noreen's kind offer could be the go also. Oh the options..............

ali
18th May 2007, 18:10
The road is great, though my fzr is still sitting in the garage with bent forks after binning it on the pemberton/ Ohingaiti road.

Was entirely my fault, corner tightened and I ran out of road, 20 years ago, I may have had the balls to lay the bike over further ...

Still enjoy the Vinegar hill road as much as ever.

There are 7 or 8 of us in Feilding who try to get out at least every 2nd weekend ( family commitments allowing) and this is one our favoured routes .

P.S. at this time of year leaves / shaded ( wet ) corners, can be an issue:mellow:

86GSXR
18th May 2007, 23:00
Hey, two new Manawatu riders! Welcome guys:yes: .

So, what's happening with this one? I'll check in the morning.

yod
18th May 2007, 23:18
Hey, two new Manawatu riders! Welcome guys:yes: .

So, what's happening with this one? I'll check in the morning.

hey 86, still not sure if i'll be out tomorrow or not - but the weather looks better tomorrow than sunday

the plan with Noreen looks the goer to me, nice easy ride out then come back down ruahine rd and rangiwahia rd

might see you there - will confirm in the morn

86GSXR
18th May 2007, 23:31
Hey Yod:yes: Noreens plan does look good, and I'll see how I am tomorrow as well. Spirit is willing and all that:yes:

86GSXR
19th May 2007, 07:32
Yep, I think I'll tag along on Noreen and co's ride. Looks like a great day for it and it will be good to give the older gixxer a decent run. See you at Sanson for a 9.15 departure. Bonez, Yod, Meanie, you coming? Are you sure your tyre's not up to it Cowboyz?

cowboyz
19th May 2007, 09:00
got a new tyre on already but still at work. I might take a run and meet you guys up there later if I can get outta here.

Bonez
19th May 2007, 18:52
Well last minute decision to pop out to Sanson. Damn well worth the effort. Quiet toodle up the main drag. Turned off to Mokai Gravity Canyon- http://www.gravitycanyon.co.nz/information.php?info_id=8. Very nice bit of motorcycling road. Got there early enough to not have to deal with much traffic.
Had a cuppa and pie. Watched a few folk do the bungee thing. Off we went to Manaweka for a refuel and fag for those that needed it. Next stop Kimbolton for a natter and help cowboyz polish off his fish 'n chips as well a Noreens egg sammees. Then off home to cable tie 86GSXRs wiring loom up.

Twas nice to meet a few more riders. Great day out. No major dramas for a change. Hope you all got home safely.

yod
19th May 2007, 19:13
yep was a great day for it....got home and fell asleep on the couch!! :laugh:

nice to meet the foxton/himatangi riders - cheers guys

sorry i didn't have time to stop back at your place for a cuppa and look at the 'museum' Bonez - will take a raincheck on that one

good to see 86's other 'girl' out there today, nice one mate

didnt have the GPS with me but i think we covered about 260km and even with cowboyz out the front most of the time, we still got home without backtracking....

a good day in the sun

Bonez
19th May 2007, 19:33
didnt have the GPS with me but i think we covered about 260km and even with cowboyz out the front most of the time, we still got home without backtracking....
Still a bit confused how I got to Kimbolton before him or Alister :o
Must have entered one of those time portal thingamebobs. Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :dodge:

cowboyz
19th May 2007, 19:44
Well....

One of us was working hard this morning so never got home till 930 or so.
Decided I might as well go up to gravity canyon and see if I can meet up with the group.
Very Semi-sensible riding got me from home to gravity canyon at a decent pace. I had a little snicker when I saw the "15 min scenic drive from the main road to the canyon itself cause it didn't take 15 mins and I didnt see much scenery.
Pleased to see all the bikes lined up so some hot chocloate and watched some really stupid people jump off a large bridge. Fortunately they were tied on. Pretty strange and expensive entertainment as I work it out at about $3800 per hour. Even the hondas aren't that expensive to run.

Off down to the plane for a fuel stop and Bonez did what Bonez does best and set a cracking pace through one of the best roads i have ridden for a long time. Refuel and smoke and off up the Manawekas.
Stopped at what was known as Benjis corner now renamed as the suzuki eater corner as one of the big criusiers lost his footing and dropped his bike on the side. No Damage to rider or bike which is good but thought we best get as fast away from that corner as fast as we can.
Good clear run through to Kimbolton for more food. (check leathers still fit) and then off to Bonez place for coffee.
I think a certain Blue and white Jap Motorcycle must have thought there was a cop following as the bikes got a bit of a workout and bikers got a little childish on the boring roads.
Good run as always.

Looking forward to next weekend

86GSXR
20th May 2007, 00:14
Well, this had to be one of the best days riding I've had in a long time. The day dawned to one of those perfect, chilly, clear and calm ones that we all yearn for. So I decided I'd head to Sanson to meet up with Noreen and co. I arrived first, gassed up and did the pie and fruit juice thing. Pretty soon we had a pretty decent crowd together and headed up the main drag to Marton to drop off a key to Noreen's son.

Then it was a clean run up to the turn off to Gravity Canyon, and what a good road! Short and sweet with lots of twists. Word of winter warning though - watch out for damp roads and moss. Ditto for leaves, as mentioned elsewhere.

Shortly arrived at the Canyon's base camp complete with coffee machine and deck. Been there about 2 mins when a throaty roar announced the arrival of another bike. Hmmm that looks familiar, and sure enough Cowboyz pulls into the carpark. Good stuff!

Spent a very pleasant 45 mins drinking latte's and watching the Canyon action. Couldn't have been a better setting, perfect weather,the middle of the bush, no noise, good coffee and excellent company. Very interesting bungy and flying fox arrangement too, and I must give it a go when I've finished paying off the bikes:yes:

The ride back to the highway was superb, with Bonez out front and the road just flowed past. After a Mangaweka fuel and fag stop we hit the back road to Kimbolton. Cowboyz and I picked up the pace a little and it was zone time for sure - marvelous. Thanks Cowboyz, excellent run!

Stopped at the lookout to be bemused by Bonez showing no sign of slowing despite some vigourous waving:yes: But we must have been in a parallel dimension and were seemingly invisible as the CX wound expertly around the ridges and gradually disappeared towards Kimbolton:gob: :bye:

By this time Yod had arrived followed shortly afterwards by the cruisers. So off to find Bonez, which luckily wasn't too difficult as he'd emerged from the time portal and was now waiting for us:yes:

Quick chat and coffee at Kimbolton then a spirited run back to Palmie via Colyton and Tainui. And yes, blue and white jap sportsbikes do go quite quickly when pressed:rockon:

Finished off a great ride with a cup of tea, a bit of maintenance on my loom (thanks guys) and a tour of Bonez's garage - very nice, and great to see all those classic's in one place!

All up, a perfect day!