PDA

View Full Version : How many ks are left in this tyre?

cowboyz
17th May 2007, 20:46
Hopefully the photo shows it enough but the 160 odd ks of striaght road commuting a week has taken a toll on the centre of my tyre.

There are cracks appearing in the middle of the tyre. Got a new one ordered and going on the bike on monday but wondering if either I should ride this weekend or save the tyre for a trackday?

Thoughts?

Sensei
17th May 2007, 20:58
Throw it !

TerminalAddict
17th May 2007, 21:06
2 ?
10 chars

cowboyz
17th May 2007, 21:08
I was afraid someone would say that.

I only have to get through till monday so I might stay at home this weekend.

Next question is what is causing the cracking? It is a 190 tyre on a 5.5 rim. The new tyre is a 180 BTW.

Is it because the 190 tyre is stretched around the rim?
Is it a tyre pressure issue?
Is it just the tyre?

I haven't seen a tyre crack like that before and have run a few quite low.

Heaps of grip on the sides of the tyre. You dont think it would be advisable to run a trackday out of it to save my new road tyre a few more ks?

NighthawkNZ
17th May 2007, 21:20
3.654km left :scratch:

Mr. Peanut
17th May 2007, 21:31
If it ain't sparkin, you're good to go!

p/t (?)

boomer
17th May 2007, 21:45
use the fukin edges.. either that or buy yourself a fukin moped

jafar
17th May 2007, 21:45
It's burnout material:gob:

boomer
17th May 2007, 21:48
It's burnout material:gob:

Thats his pride and joy.. granted its a kumandsukme.. but show some fukin restraint.. * edit ( i just looked at what your riding... i empathise with you )

Mr. Peanut
17th May 2007, 21:49
Thats his pride and joy.. granted its a kumandsukme.. but show some fukin restraint.. * edit ( i just looked at what your riding... i empathise with you )

We're a sensitive little petal today.

cowboyz
17th May 2007, 21:51
use the fukin edges.. either that or buy yourself a fukin moped

Hey.. I only have to keep up with hondas. Its not like I have to ride that fast.

The guy in town recommended a particular tyre (which i cant remember name of now) that he thinks will wear better commuting.

have to see in about 4 months time

TerminalAddict
my m3 cracked like that .. needless to say .. parked it in the garage until pay day

boomer
We're a sensitive little petal today.

It's Rag Week .. BITCH!!!!!

boomer
17th May 2007, 21:52
The guy in town recommended a particular tyre (which i cant remember name of now) that he thinks will wear better commuting.

It's called a Piagio.

jafar
17th May 2007, 21:56

Hell man it's buggered, sending it up in smoke is all its good for. Worn out & cracked you would have to be on bad "P" to ride on that piece of crap :sick:

As for what i ride you should have looked a bit closer @ least it isn't a gixxer 100 :dodge:

boomer
17th May 2007, 22:02
Hell man it's buggered, sending it up in smoke is all its good for. Worn out & cracked you would have to be on bad "P" to ride on that piece of crap :sick: :dodge: twas an attempt at being funny.. i was inferring you meant his bike.. not the tyre :rolleyes:

As for what i ride you should have looked a bit closer @ least it isn't a gixxer 100 :dodge: are you on drugs?? take some of your own advice and look closer :whistle:

jafar
17th May 2007, 22:15
twas an attempt at being funny.. i was inferring you meant his bike.. not the tyre :rolleyes:

A FAILED attempt it would seem

are you on drugs?? take some of your own advice and look closer :whistle:

Done that ...... clearly states gixxer 100 on nos
that should keep the vespa's off ya tail :dodge:

boomer
17th May 2007, 22:21
Done that ...... clearly states gixxer 100 on nos
that should keep the vespa's off ya tail :dodge:

sarcasm and whitt is lost as soon as you have to explain it.. i knew that when i typed it.

and my "K8 GSXR100 Turbo mother**n NOS'd" will school you on anything you care to bring to the party ... shame we're only on K7's tho :drinknsin and i really own a fags bike..:whocares:

jafar
17th May 2007, 22:40
and my "K8 GSXR100 Turbo mother**n NOS'd" will school you on anything you care to bring to the party :

Bring it on:rockon:

smoky
17th May 2007, 22:42

I needed a couple of tyres last month, my tyre looked like yours. I got a set of the new Michelin Pilot Road 2.
Long story short they said it offers better wet grip and longer tread life than any of its competitors. CERM (Centre d'Essais Routiers Mechanique) an independent test company 'proved' that it wears better and grips better in the wet than the Pirelli Diablo Strada, Bridgestone BT021 and BT020, Dunlop Sportmax D220, Continental Road Attack Z and the Metzeler Roadtec Z6. (sportbike magazine).

The magic of duel compounds.
They were a good price too - about $450 for the two, fitted.

I have no regrets - they're great tyres, wet and dry - nearly 3000 ks so far

Squiggles
18th May 2007, 18:15
found myself with tyres in that condition when i was in nelson, asked the cycletreads guys and they thought i'd make it to picton if i was reeeeaaaalll gentle....

decided to have them order one and wait, glad i did, when they took it off they let me feel it and it was so very very thin

get it replaced before you go anywhere :yes:

cowboyz
18th May 2007, 18:36
Tyre doesnt seem so bad now. Michellin pilot road 2 so we will see how it goes.

smoky
18th May 2007, 20:07
Tyre doesnt seem so bad now. Michellin pilot road 2 so we will see how it goes.

The tred pattern is very different to mine - they must be the new series tyre, can I ask what they cost

cowboyz
18th May 2007, 20:09
sure you can

smoky
18th May 2007, 20:11
sure you can

what they cost then?

cowboyz
18th May 2007, 20:14
$313 on the bike. I think it was $285 or $290 for the tyre itself. I like to drop bike off and pickup later so they charge a bit for fitting.

Kwaka14
18th May 2007, 20:14
Hey.. I only have to keep up with hondas. Its not like I have to ride that fast.

have to see in about 4 months time

Get an Avon Storm, wear well and apparrently ride very well....

smoky
18th May 2007, 20:18
$313 on the bike. I think it was $285 or $290 for the tyre itself.

Good tyre - good price - lets us know what ya think once it's scrubbed in.

cowboyz
18th May 2007, 20:20
well at the end of the day.. if it keeps my fairings off the road I am happy with it.

JayRacer37
18th May 2007, 20:31
An independent test company 'proved' that it wears better and grips better in the wet than the Pirelli Diablo Strada, Bridgestone BT021 and BT020, Dunlop Sportmax D220, Continental Road Attack Z and the Metzeler Roadtec Z6. (sportbike magazine).

They say nothing about DRY grip though....thats why we avoid rain!!

The magic of duel compounds.

I have no regrets - they're great tyres, wet and dry - nearly 3000 ks so far

Pah, duel compound is old hat...Continenal's Force Max was duel comp in around 2000, 2001. Others had duel around then...I dunno how Michelin claimed/s to have 'the first' road duel comp tyre, 'cause thats rot.

New technology in the Continental Attack range (at this point in RaceAttack only, but I guess it may yet be transferred to the Road and Sport attack) is "100% variable compounding" - basically its the same rubber all over, and 'cooked in diffrent ways'. This means that the rubber is 'hard' in the middle, and progressively changes to 'soft' at the tread edge. This HUGE advantage is in the lack of an "unstable transition period" - duel comp is horrid when going from the 'soft' to the 'hard' parts of the tyre.

Duel Compounding is not a good thing anyways, not for tyre life....or safety really. Think of a Licorice allsort - you can peel it apart where the diffrent pieces meet. The same goes for the meet of compuonding in a tyre - Just ask James Toesland, this degradation was what forced his exit at Monza in superbikes last weekend.

Kornholio
18th May 2007, 20:53
- Just ask James Toesland, this degradation was what forced his exit at Monza in superbikes last weekend.

That was funny aye :sunny:

JayRacer37
18th May 2007, 20:55
That was funny aye :sunny:

More so for us than him - "hmmm...if i keep it off the center it MIGHT make it to the end - initiate plan weave...."
haahahaha

smoky
18th May 2007, 21:47
They say nothing about DRY grip though....thats why we avoid rain!!

I purchased them heading into winter - wet grip kinda appealed to me, I dont have a lot of down time and just get out for a blast when I can - wet or dry.

Pah, duel compound is old hat...I dunno how Michelin claimed/s to have 'the first'

Do they say that?

"unstable transition period" - duel comp is horrid when going from the 'soft' to the 'hard' parts of the tyre.

haven't noticed that yet, I'm real happy with the handling

Duel Compounding is not a good thing anyways, not for tyre life....or safety really - you can peel it apart where the diffrent pieces meet. The same goes for the meet of compuonding in a tyre - Just ask James Toesland, this degradation was what forced his exit at Monza in superbikes last weekend.

I don't think the perfrmance pressure I put my tyres under will be the same as what he puts his tyres under. but I guess I'll find out if they do the k's or not.

JayRacer37
18th May 2007, 21:57
I purchased them heading into winter - wet grip kinda appealed to me, I dont have a lot of down time and just get out for a blast when I can - wet or dry.
haha, yea we put wets on when it rains...:D

Do they say that? .
That is the message i took away from their new ad...

haven't noticed that yet, I'm real happy with the handling.
Yes, I belive they are talking about in a more race application - though i noticed it when i was riding a bigger bike on them - handling really changes when you go over the 'step'

I don't think the perfrmance pressure I put my tyres under will be the same as what he puts his tyres under. but I guess I'll find out if they do the k's or not.

you surely will.....might be load related, might just be a weak tyre...noone elses did it. It IS another weakness the tyre can have though.

smoky
19th May 2007, 23:26
"unstable transition period" - duel comp is horrid when going from the 'soft' to the 'hard' parts of the tyre..

Damb – puttn things in my mind; I was out riding today and after a while I was sure I was beginning to feel the “unstable transition period" you talked about. I was happy with my tyre until today, or was there some auto suggestion crap goin on? :crazy: but then;

When we stopped my friend who was following me drew my attention to the white stuff coming out of the back of my bike – I keep a tyre panda under my seat for emergencies, it had a hole in it and was slowly discharging, and running down onto my rear tyre !!! :weird:

Got a bit slippery
Cleaned it up and now it’s all good again.:banana: Guess I won't get a leak in my tail light now

cowboyz
20th May 2007, 08:38
damn that sucks. At least you found the trouble.

First run yesterday on the new tyre and it was expectedly slippery for a while until it was scrubbed up and then I was pleasently surprised how it sat on the road. very stable and a great feeling riding on new tyres that you can trust.

smoky
20th May 2007, 10:07
a great feeling riding on new tyres that you can trust.

You can say that again
I had two new tyres, new o'ring chain and both sprokets changed, and I had the bike serviced, WOF an all. About $1000 spent - but man the difference in the bike was great.