PDA

View Full Version : Run in procedure

manuboy
8th September 2004, 11:07
Gidday all,
:2thumbsup
Picked myself up an SV1000s from Sportzone last week. Awesome machine. Looks good, sounds great, seems to go pretty well too - only problem i've had so far is neighbours threatening to call the cops while it's warming up in the morning (they're only cyclone cans!)...

Questions:
1) I read somewhere it's good to ditch your oil almost straight away - like in the first 50 km of run-in since there's probably already a load of metal floating round in it. I've run up 380km, did i miss the boat? Should i wait for the first service? Do people generally do at that stage it or is it a myth?

2) Notice that the can ends have already built up a wee bit of carbon - i thought that even with the round town stop start run in procedure they'd be a nice grey on new bikes... could this be because of the FI not being mapped for the aftermarket yoshi's so there's a bit of unburnt gas?

3) (sorry..) Do i seriously have to maintain the load / unload engine thing for the first 800km's? it's hard to leave town when you can't maintain constant throttle...

Cheers for any help....

White trash
8th September 2004, 11:24
Change the oil and filter now and then again at the first service. Suzuki are shockers for not building clean engines. The sooting at the tail pipe is completely normal on todays fuels.

Get to around 600km then ride it like you stole it.

White trash
8th September 2004, 11:24
Oh yeah, and welcome to KB.

manuboy
8th September 2004, 11:33
Thanks WT ... i'll take your advice... will be good for bike / peice of mind...

merv
8th September 2004, 11:55
The sooting at the tail pipe is completely normal on todays fuels.

Yep agreed, pipes only looked a nice grey colour in the old days after a flog because that was the lead deposits you were seeing.

Motu
8th September 2004, 12:00
Just ordinary riding will do,no thrashing or labouring.Exhausts don't go grey anymore,that was the lead - all unleaded fuels will leave black carbon.Drop the oil at 1000k .

ching_ching
8th September 2004, 13:22
Hi ManuBoy... heehee good handle.

Like White Trash said, dump your oil and filter now then again at it's first real registered service.

After my first ride that's what I did (was from here to Taupo and back). Flush the machinings and God-knows-what out the system.

I asked the same question when I got my bike. Was told to ride it like you usually would right out of the crate. And that's what I pretty much did, initially with bursts of accel / decel in order to pressure the piston rings to attain a good seal within the chamber. Then doing the usual riding style since.

No probs with bike (except lack of skill on riders behalf).

ching

White trash
8th September 2004, 13:47
Yeah, my GSXR600K3 had 630km on the clock when it was timed at 263kph average over a flying quater.

Smoked a certain Gixxer Seven in the standing quaters too.

manuboy
8th September 2004, 13:50
Thanks guys,

I decided to foot it down to Sportzone at lunchtime, picked up a filter and some shell advance sx4... now i have a new problem... all the guys at work are laughing at the size of my oil filter...

:doh:

What's my comeback??? (other than riding off with their girlfriends...)

Hopefully see some of you out there one day...

jrandom
8th September 2004, 13:55
all the guys at work are laughing at the size of my oil filter...

I really, honestly haven't heard that one before.

White trash
8th September 2004, 13:58
I really, honestly haven't heard that one before.

Better not show them a filter for the FXR then, J'. They'll choke they'll be pissing themselves so hard.

riffer
8th September 2004, 14:11
Yeah, my GSXR600K3 had 630km on the clock when it was timed at 263kph average over a flying quater.

Smoked a certain Gixxer Seven in the standing quaters too.
Jeez WT that's hardly fair. They were carrying wildly different load weights. ;)

Blakamin
8th September 2004, 14:16
tell them after 800k's you'll prove that size dont matter! and then give them a drag!

or

wave as you pass them when you lane-split on the way home!

dangerous
10th September 2004, 22:08
Hey man welcome to KB, wers abouts in town are ya?
I would of thought that tampering with ya bike while its in the warante stage of things and doing a non scdueled oil change would up set things with Suzuki. I think that Suzuki go overboard with the running in side of things when Honda dont have any restrictions at all, which is what I tend to do after the first 300 odd k's

Posh Tourer :P
10th September 2004, 22:49
Better not show them a filter for the FXR then, J'. They'll choke they'll be pissing themselves so hard.

Ummmmm... so where are their mouths supposed to be for the mechanics of that to work???

Ms Piggy
17th September 2004, 18:09
Oh yeah, and welcome to KB.

Yeah welcome MB :spudwave:

magnum
19th September 2004, 10:18
hello and welcome :apint:

inlinefour
28th January 2005, 00:05
Welcome and enjoy :banana: